Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nate Wolters: Should he stay or Should he go?

Depends on what dell defines as a successful season. If he serious bout making a serious push towards the playoffs you go mo, he brings experience three point shooting and most importantly swagger.

This is me saying this before I read the article so IDK if it says he should go or not but IMO he was just to be a guy who could run the 2nd unit because he could pass until jrue came back so tyreke can go back to the bench and jimmer will get welters minutes to spread the floor for tyreke. We gave him a 2nd 10 day contract because jrue still isn't back IMO.

no norris cole for me, he is terrible on offense and is slightly above average, if not average on D.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I get that philosophy on the offensive end, and I agree on that end. But who defends point guards when Tyreke and this shooting guard are on the court together?

This is why I lean towards a point guard on defense with a shooting guard skill set on offense.
    Q-PON!

also I've always been a guy who likes an offensive bench more than a defensive one. Ur bench isn't going to have to defend many stud scorers, but regardless if they do, but can at least go point for point with them until our starters come back I am fine with that.

Plus I want to surround tyreke with shooters, not defenders, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ryno4three View Post
    Depends on what dell defines as a successful season. If he serious bout making a serious push towards the playoffs you go mo, he brings experience three point shooting and most importantly swagger.
    I agree, mo would have to be my first choice, having him, ryno, and jimmer spread the floor for Tyreke would be insane.

I'm indifferent to Nate as I would be to just about any PG we pick up off the waiver. Want to keep him? Sure go ahead. Want to sign Farmar or Nate? Sure go ahead. My expectations are set very low for the 4th guard for the rest of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I agree, mo would have to be my first choice, having him, ryno, and jimmer spread the floor for Tyreke would be insane.
    If we picked up Mo.....Jimmer would be nailed to the bench, next to the Gatorade.

This answer truly depends on what the team believes they will get from Jrue the rest of the year. If they think this ankle thing could limit him and his playing time for the rest of the year, then yeah go ahead and trade for Mo Williams or sign J.Farmer. If they believe Jrue will come back at close to 100% and play his normal allotment of minutes then just keep Wolters let him sit and learn and see how he develops.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    If we picked up Mo.....Jimmer would be nailed to the bench, next to the Gatorade.
    The place he should have been in his whole career, in short

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    This answer truly depends on what the team believes they will get from Jrue the rest of the year. If they think this ankle thing could limit him and his playing time for the rest of the year, then yeah go ahead and trade for Mo Williams or sign J.Farmer. If they believe Jrue will come back at close to 100% and play his normal allotment of minutes then just keep Wolters let him sit and learn and see how he develops.
    Even if Jrue comes back and plays the rest of the year, that 4th guard is going to get 10-12 minutes, and we have seen that 10-12 minutes determine games. Look at the Washington game, for instance. All the main guys played to about a draw, but Andre Miller dominated Rivers and that was the difference.

That 4th guard could be the difference in 2-4 games, and that could be the difference in playoffs or 9th seed. Whether Jrue comes back tomorrow or in late February, that guard position will matter.
    @mcnamara247

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    Im on board the, 'anything but seeing John Salmons' train

Get rid of Wolters and Jimmer and go after a couple of these guys you mentioned I've seen nothing that makes me think we can't upgrade both positions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Even if Jrue comes back and plays the rest of the year, that 4th guard is going to get 10-12 minutes, and we have seen that 10-12 minutes determine games. Look at the Washington game, for instance. All the main guys played to about a draw, but Andre Miller dominated Rivers and that was the difference.

That 4th guard could be the difference in 2-4 games, and that could be the difference in playoffs or 9th seed. Whether Jrue comes back tomorrow or in late February, that guard position will matter.
    Not sure the 4th guard really gets those minutes now that we have Q getting the SF minutes that Reke used to get.

We've got 96 guard minutes to split between Jrue, EG, and Tyreke. IMO, that doesn't leave anything close to 10-12m for a 4th guard.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Not sure the 4th guard really gets those minutes now that we have Q getting the SF minutes that Reke used to get.

We've got 96 guard minutes to split between Jrue, EG, and Tyreke. IMO, that doesn't leave anything close to 10-12m for a 4th guard.
    Monty is going to play his 2nd unit team - whether we like it or not, he just will. I would love it if he split the 96 guard minutes up between our 3 guys, and would love if he did the same for Ryno, AD, and Asik - but that just doesn't seem to be his norm.

Factor in Jrue's current injury, Gordon being one fall away from being out for the year, and the propensity for Tyreke to get a nagging injury here and there, and I need the best 4th guard possible. That guy will play 400+ minutes between now and the end of the season one way or another.

I can't just look at that position and say, "Meh, it doesn't matter. Whoever." 400+ rotation minutes down the stretch are going to matter IMO

I agree, it matters more than people think especially veteran leadership in the locker room. You don't have to go far. Look at the saints. They lost all their veteran leaders on defense and defense went from 4th ranked to 30th. Leadership matters when u have a young roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still not sure why Jimmer isn't playing more. So his 3pt shot isn't falling, the other parts of his game aren't bad enough to nail him to the bench in favor of mins going to Salmons or Wolters instead. The 3pt shot will come, but not by hanging out on the bench.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Since Tyreke will be primary distributor in the 2nd unit
    we should grab a shooter that can defend the other team's 2nd unit PG.

How has Mo been at defending his position lately?

Pick up a decent veteran guard, Nate hasn't done enough for me to want to keep him, I'd rather Mekal than him.

Either a Mo williams or CJ watson type, that brings solid defense or at least a decent veteran presence to help guide the young bloods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

If I remember what people have said in the past, once Jrue gets back, Jimmer will see more time off the bench, as his game goes smoothly with Jrue's. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall several people on here saying during some game day threads.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am still not sure why Jimmer isn't playing more. So his 3pt shot isn't falling, the other parts of his game aren't bad enough to nail him to the bench in favor of mins going to Salmons or Wolters instead. The 3pt shot will come, but not by hanging out on the bench.
    ......Between his shots not falling and him being a liability on defense is the reason he can't get minutes. Babbitt suffers from the same problem.

Let him go. This team needs a small quick guard to stay in front of the pesturing small quick guards in the NBA. They can shoot a little but defense for the 2nd unit is what we need. QPon is too big and not fast enough for small guards (eg.. Aaron Brooks). We seem to have difficulty defending players like that. Even the Bulls in their championship runs had Randy Brown just for teams like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Let him go. This team needs a small quick guard to stay in front of the pesturing small quick guards in the NBA. They can shoot a little but defense for the 2nd unit is what we need. QPon is too big and not fast enough for small guards (eg.. Aaron Brooks). We seem to have difficulty defending players like that. Even the Bulls in their championship runs had Randy Brown just for teams like that.
    Could Shane Larkin be an option ?

Leandro Barbosa hasn't been getting any minutes recently in GS, and there's no way he's part of their playoff plans. Any chance we could pry him away for cheap?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    are there any red flags when it comes to Farmar? If not, I would tell Wolters thank-you, and not resign him..... I would then give Farmar a chance, and know at the minimum, the Pel's would immediately be among the league leaders in both eyebrows and ears.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information