Pelicans Report

Thread: What to spend with the MLE?

Question What to spend with the MLE?

I was listening to the Podcast last night and found the topic about ‘what to do with the MLE next season’ quite intriguing.

Assuming that Gordon doesn’t opt out and Asik is re-signed we will have the MLE (about 5.5M).

Do we spend the money on a ‘sure thing’ SF, use the money to strengthen the bench or other?

I know Hornet Guru started a similar thread about Gerald Green and DaMaree Carrol but I suspect Green will get more than MLE and Carrol won’t leave the Hawks to come to the Pelicans and more than likely get more than the MLE to stay.

Would be good to hear people’s thoughts.

Firstly I would use the BE on Cunningham and then re-sign Ajinca and Babbitt using their bird rights.
    At this point I don’t think bringing in role players at the 10, 11 and 12th spot being any better than what we already have so I would re-sign the guy’s we have early bird rights on.

They are also familiar with the team and I believe one of the biggest issues with this team is continuity.

I personally believe the team should use this money on an experienced backup PG with some foot speed and can play off the ball. Then I think it is necessary to spend the rest of the money on a PF/C who can give you some post offence.

Please discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I was listening to the Podcast last night and found the topic about ‘what to do with the MLE next season’ quite intriguing.

Assuming that Gordon doesn’t opt out and Asik is re-signed we will have the MLE (about 5.5M).

Do we spend the money on a ‘sure thing’ SF, use the money to strengthen the bench or other?

I know Hornet Guru started a similar thread about Gerald Green and DaMaree Carrol but I suspect Green will get more than MLE and Carrol won’t leave the Hawks to come to the Pelicans and more than likely get more than the MLE to stay.

Would be good to hear people’s thoughts.

Firstly I would use the BE on Cunningham and then re-sign Ajinca and Babbitt using their bird rights.
    At this point I don’t think bringing in role players at the 10, 11 and 12th spot being any better than what we already have so I would re-sign the guy’s we have early bird rights on.

They are also familiar with the team and I believe one of the biggest issues with this team is continuity.

I personally believe the team should use this money on an experienced backup PG with some foot speed and can play off the ball. Then I think it is necessary to spend the rest of the money on a PF/C who can give you some post offence.

Please discuss.
    Ideally I would prefer a 3 and D, but we really can't afford any of the top free agents. Dell probably would overpay reaching for a guy who wouldn't be an upgrade to what we already have. So, I would split the MLE and get a backup PG and a big who can score on the block...Then, hopefully Dell could find a SF on the scrap pile......i.e....Morrow....

Draft Pick
    Spend it on Kosta Koufos.

First thing you do is sign Cunningham to a decent contract. Most people would say he has already been worth more than $715,000 to this season's Pelicans. He isn't a $5M guy, but he deserves a bit more than vet minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by observerII View Post
    First thing you do is sign Cunningham to a decent contract. Most people would say he has already been worth more than $715,000 to this season's Pelicans. He isn't a $5M guy, but he deserves a bit more than vet minimum.
    He should get the Bi-annual.

i think we can land Carroll with the MLE honestly, beyond perfect fit

Marvin freaking Williams got 2/14 last year, and that was before everyone knew the cap was going up.

I am starting to think it will be hard to land even a decent under 30 SF with the MLE.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    A good backup PG. I don't know why people keep talking about the need for a backup C. We have the big 3 that are getting most of the minutes and I don't see the problem at all with Ajinca. Yes he has foul trouble but the guy has a PER of 20 and is still developing. He has a nice offensive game I think, especially for a 4th big.

I feel comfortable at the moment with the SF combo of Evans/Pondexter/Cunningham. I don't feel comfortable playing Jimmer or Nate Wolters minutes in a serious game and currently we have to do that. That's where I'd upgrade.

I don't even care about someone who can play good defense. We need shooters. Mid range and 3 point who are not a liability on defense.

Thread Information