Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Race for a Playoff Spot

Basketball, gentlemen...
    The Pels are now 1 game out of 8th with 2 games coming up versus OKC. If we continue this streak by beating them twice we will be in great position.
    Regardless of playoff participation, this has been a successful Pels season so far. We have seen player improvement from Davis, Ajinca, and Evans. Anderson has developed more options to his offense and may be starting to improve his defense. We have beaten lots of playoff teams. We have added some solid role players and shed 3 of the worst players in the league statistically (Russ, Darius, Austin). Most importantly, we have won at home so I can enjoy my walk and drive back to the house. On the other hand, let's make the playoffs and see who wants to take us on!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    So I'm continually coming across your posts recently and the thought struck me, what are you doing on here exactly?

http://www.pelicansreport.com/search.php?searchid=3304

I mean look at that post history. Outside of belittling people what are you actually adding to this forum right now? I've read your posts over the weeks and it just seems to be one condescension, dismissive post after another. Belittling posters with passive aggressive behavior and a smug attitude. Can you point me to the last intellectually stimulating point you have made on here?

If you want to be the forum contrarian fine, but you have just as much an obligation to defend the assertions you make as much as those you continually challenge to defend there's.
    Come after me rather than making a point... Standard tactic when you actually can not make a case or are not having a real conversation.

All the post history I need on you is you failing to answer or really even ackowledge your own points, which are still trying to explain elsewhere.

ETA: I haven't belittled anyone. I have challeneged some highly dubious claims, and some of them yours (for those wondering why this guy is chiming in). You, however, are trying and failing to insult me. It is quite sad that you would rather talk bad about me than acknowledge the shortcomings of your claims about the team amd correct those.

You also fail to recognize the postive engagements. Again, typical of one with an agenda who doe not really have a valid point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Blah blah blah. Just name teams or drop your extemely inane pseudopoint.
    Again, you want me to name teams based on your incorrect understanding of what I am saying; then start to be disrespectful. Typical garbage from you. You're a condescending ***hole and appear to harbor some resentment about the fact that you are just a poster on PR.com despite your obvious high regard for yourself and intellect regarding anything Pelicans. You are nothing more than anyone else on here with respect to this team and more than likely will never be, so if you don't agree or understand my point, move on. At least McNamara knows what he's talking about, you merely try and cover your lack of knowledge with philosophical undertones in all of your posts. You're a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Again, you want me to name teams based on your incorrect understanding of what I am saying; then start to be disrespectful. Typical garbage from you. You're a condescending ***hole and appear to harbor some resentment about the fact that you are just a poster on PR.com despite your obvious high regard for yourself and intellect regarding anything Pelicans. You are nothing more than anyone else on here with respect to this team and more than likely will never be, so if you don't agree or understand my point, move on. At least McNamara knows what he's talking about, you merely try and cover your lack of knowledge with philosophical undertones in all of your posts? You're a joke.
    Really good insight into those extra hurtful losses you invented. Way to discuss your point, your team.

I'll give you a hint: The Pelicans beating Atlanta is one of those helpful wins. You know, the game last night.

Your huuuge insight is that when you expect a win but get a loss it feels worse to you thought it counts the same in the L column. Or, actually, East losses hurt less due to tie-breaker rules, but your claim is about expectations you have, which may be reasonable, an their effect on the "pain" apart from pure fan pain, which is not. However, if you honestly believed that drivel about this extra pain in the record, the the Atlanta win simply must help at least as much as the Knicks hurt.

But you are not here to talk about the team for what it is. You are here to stir up negativity only. When challenged, you levy that charge on others as if saying it first will distract your audience. Well, it doesn't.

Banned
    Really good insight into those extra hurtful losses you invented. Way to discuss your point, your team.

I'll give you a hint: The Pelicans beating Atlanta is one of those helpful wins. You know, the game last night.

Your huuuge insight is that when you expect a win but get a loss it feels worse to you thought it counts the same in the L column. Or, actually, East losses hurt less due to tie-breaker rules, but your claim is about expectations you have, which may be reasonable, an their effect on the "pain" apart from pure fan pain, which is not. However, if you honestly believed that drivel about this extra pain in the record, the the Atlanta win simply must help at least as much as the Knicks hurt.

But you are not here to talk about the team for what it is. You are here to stir up negativity only. When challenged, you levy that charge on others as if saying it first will distract your audience. Well, it doesn't.
    Nothing I said was negative and I explained my points. As I've seen others attempt to explain to you several times, you not agreeing with what I think doesn't make it wrong. So, I'll give you a hint: this is a message board where OPINIONS are posted. The only audience distracting is the tone of your post and you wanting to paint yourself as some superior intellect. We could all post like pompous ***holes if we wanted to.

So again, and for the last time, that is my opinion. Good teams (i.e. teams that expect to be in the playoffs) will beat teams like the Hawks, they will beat the Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Raptors, etc. However, they will all also suffer losses to those good teams as well. Those wins and losses can be accepted, which is why good teams will go 50-32 or so. The losses that really hurt are the multiple ones to sub .200 teams because those other good teams are not going to lose those games. Those types of losses are the difference between going 50-32 and 41-41, thus (IN MY OPINION) they hurt much more than the wins or losses that good teams can expect to have. Don't know how to break it down any further for you. If you don't agree, that's ok, that'll happen on message boards.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 02-03-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Someone flip da switch, we need to stop da ride.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

You say some losses count more, hurt us more.

I say that position should entail some wins being dignified as counting more, helping more.

So, name them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Urge to watch IT Crowd rising

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Urge to watch IT Crowd rising
    There's never a bad time.

We are ONE GAME behind Phoenix!
    These two games against OKC are extremely important. We need to take one but I'm hoping for both.

Also, tickets in OKC are insanely expensive.
    I wish there were some kind of......
    .....special.

Nothing I said was negative and I explained my points. As I've seen others attempt to explain to you several times, you not agreeing with what I think doesn't make it wrong. So, I'll give you a hint: this is a message board where OPINIONS are posted. The only audience distracting is the tone of your post and you wanting to paint yourself as some superior intellect. We could all post like pompous ***holes if we wanted to.

So again, and for the last time, that is my opinion. Good teams (i.e. teams that expect to be in the playoffs) will beat teams like the Hawks, they will beat the Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Raptors, etc. However, they will all also suffer losses to those good teams as well. Those wins and losses can be accepted, which is why good teams will go 50-32 or so. The losses that really hurt are the multiple ones to sub .200 teams because those other good teams are not going to lose those games. Those types of losses are the difference between going 50-32 and 41-41, thus (IN MY OPINION) they hurt much more than the wins or losses that good teams can expect to have. Don't know how to break it down any further for you. If you don't agree, that's ok, that'll happen on message boards.
    I see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent. I don't believe it's crazy to think that good teams can lose to really bad teams. The Pelicans, however, have made a habit out of losing to those really bad teams. Contenders should be able to win about 90% of those games against the cellar dwellers.

It's the consistency of the bad losses that so troubling, not that they drop one or two to a really bad team. What I see is a young team that hasn't learned yet how to bring the same intensity and professionalism to every game, leading to some really crazy results. This game on Wednesday night is huge. We have a team that's nipping on our heels in the playoff race coming in, and the team will have to bounce back from the high of this win. Oklahoma City will be ready, that's for sure. Let's see how this young team handles success.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent. I don't believe it's crazy to think that good teams can lose to really bad teams. The Pelicans, however, have made a habit out of losing to those really bad teams. Contenders should be able to win about 90% of those games against the cellar dwellers.

It's the consistency of the bad losses that so troubling, not that they drop one or two to a really bad team. What I see is a young team that hasn't learned yet how to bring the same intensity and professionalism to every game, leading to some really crazy results. This game on Wednesday night is huge. We have a team that's nipping on our heels in the playoff race coming in, and the team will have to bounce back from the high of this win. Oklahoma City will be ready, that's for sure. Let's see how this young team handles success.
    Perhaps a better way to put it, yes. The habit of losing those supposedly easy win games. But I agree, if this team can maintain intensity no matter who we play, we could be tough to contend with. These next two games will be important.

Yeah, I think the consistency and maturity to beat great teams and also not take night off to lay a stinker comes over time. We're even seeing us grow this year. 2-3 weeks ago people were complaining about WLWL, and although it's been a small sample size since, it seems we cured ourselves of it some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Can't we just go back to the days when we were all friends, and HornetsGuru used to make only trade threads, and every now and then some know it all would be run off the board by the less knowledgeable for preaching their witchcraft.

Those were the days.

Come after me rather than making a point... Standard tactic when you actually can not make a case or are not having a real conversation.

All the post history I need on you is you failing to answer or really even ackowledge your own points, which are still trying to explain elsewhere.

ETA: I haven't belittled anyone. I have challeneged some highly dubious claims, and some of them yours (for those wondering why this guy is chiming in). You, however, are trying and failing to insult me. It is quite sad that you would rather talk bad about me than acknowledge the shortcomings of your claims about the team amd correct those.

You also fail to recognize the postive engagements. Again, typical of one with an agenda who doe not really have a valid point.
    Im not playing the 42 game of turning everything around on the other person.

Show me the last time you made ANY attempt at giving insightful contributions to this board? Looking at your post history it's been a while. All I see is nothing but belittling, condescension, borderline personal attacks, assertions without qualification(something you LOVE to challenge others for) and a style that reeks of trying to project a smug intellectual superiority. I usually don't talk about posters themselves, it's low class, but when a poster has nothing else to offer because they are contributing nothing but negativity toward others, there isn't much else to talk about and that behavior essentielly is their posts.

The way you challenge supposed dubious claims is by making a solid, empirical or logically strong case about why they are wrong or what the right answer is. And it can be done without the smug attitude and the personal jabs.

That's why I and a lot of others have a lot of respect for guys like MM. I may have some strong disagreements with the guy(see Gordon) but he is as good as anyone here at showcasing an appropriate way to discuss with others. You on the other hand are exemplifying the complete opposite.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-03-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Banned

Show me the last time you made ANY attempt at giving insightful contributions to this board? Looking at your post history it's been a while. All I see is nothing but belittling, condescension, borderline personal attacks, assertions without qualification(something you LOVE to challenge others for) and a style that reeks of trying to project a smug intellectual superiority. I usually don't talk about posters themselves, it's low class, but when a poster has nothing else to offer because they are contributing nothing but negativity toward others, there isn't much else to talk about and that behavior essentielly is their posts.

The way you challenge supposed dubious claims is by making a solid, empirical or logically strong case about why they are wrong or what the right answer is. And it can be done without the smug attitude and the personal jabs.

That's why I and a lot of others have a lot of respect for guys like MM. I may have some strong disagreements with the guy(see Gordon) but he is as good as anyone here at showcasing an appropriate way to discuss with others. You on the other hand are exemplifying the complete opposite.
    100% agree. No need for that here.

he did make the comment of "be careful what you wish for" when everyone was asking for the old posters to come back, and some even approached them outside of this board.

Hollingers Playoff Odds give us a 55.3% right now at making the playoffs! would think this is a little high, but still! My wish before the season was that we would be in the playoff race till the end, so every win is important and I guess that is what we are getting at least!

These personal jabs are fictional. Saying your claim is unsupported, etc. is not personal. Calling someone smug is. Ahem.

The smugness in your reading and perhaps stemming from your reaction to not being able to back up a point or tolerate dissention.

You are flat out ignoring the "good posts."

If you don't like it, don't respond. I wouldn't blame you a bit.

Perhaps a better way to put it, yes. The habit of losing those supposedly easy win games. But I agree, if this team can maintain intensity no matter who we play, we could be tough to contend with. These next two games will be important.
    Like when we beat the supposedly hard to beat teams? I said that up there.

I'll just leave this here to lighten the mood.

http://gfycat.com/MajorSpotlessFieldmouse

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothieKing View Post
    I'll just leave this here to lighten the mood.

http://gfycat.com/MajorSpotlessFieldmouse
    reke licking them lips, MMMM mmmmmm

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quick run through of Spurs, Suns, and Pelicans remaining schedules and I think 48 wins gets the 8th seed.

My prediction is that the Thunder will finish with 46 wins, and both the Suns and the Pelicans will go into their last games of the season at 47 wins. Suns host Clippers on April 14th, Pelicans host Spurs on April 15th.

We also have a home game against Phoenix on Friday April 10th that should be a HUGE game for us that I've penciled in as a win.

Basically, I think this is going down to the wire, and our head to head record with Phoenix will be the difference. Going to have to file my taxes early this year, cause that game against Spurs on tax day in SKA should have a playoff atmosphere!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    42 what are you offering to the board? It's comical and transparent how you interact with other posters. Can you put more focus on what you think and your ideas or reasoned arguments about the team? I'd honestly like to know your thoughts about the season rather than you over focusing on other posters. No one here is more defensive than you have been. These posters are only offended by your meaningless attempts to dismiss them. I know you're better than this. I hope u are. Why waste your intelligence? Getting a reaction or attention makes you feel special?? I don't have a problem with you pointing out my flawed thinking. Anyone can do that. So do it. I would like you to consider taking the feedback you're getting here. Thanks

Again, you want me to name teams based on your incorrect understanding of what I am saying; then start to be disrespectful. Typical garbage from you. You're a condescending ***hole and appear to harbor some resentment about the fact that you are just a poster on PR.com despite your obvious high regard for yourself and intellect regarding anything Pelicans. You are nothing more than anyone else on here with respect to this team and more than likely will never be, so if you don't agree or understand my point, move on. At least McNamara knows what he's talking about, you merely try and cover your lack of knowledge with philosophical undertones in all of your posts. You're a joke.
    +100

42 boils down to the BSS protector, the hockey goon if you will. If you have any point of contention he turns in to "debate police." He will do whatever possible to take the focus off of the actual thread topic, and instead try to ridicule your arguement with semantics and hyperbole.

Lastly I agree with your point. Some losses hurt more (EMOTIONALLY AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY) than others. "Control the controllables" is all we need to do in life, and losing to a team you should beat hurts for the reason I just mentioned and obviously in the actual standings. As 42 would love to point out, each loss and win actually only count as 1, no matter who the opponent. Of course you already knew that and that was never your point.

It is silly to ask for you to list "Wins" as that has nothing to do with your point.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 02-04-2015 at 12:14 PM.

A win vs ATL seems more impactful than a win be the sixers.
    A loss vs GS hurts less than a loss vs the Knicks.
    So while a loss is still a loss, and a win is still a win, and a win/loss vs any particular team is weighted the same as a win/loss vs any other team, one means more.

Is that what everyone is talking about?

Thread Information