Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Center Position Moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who says its a mistake? Has no one else noticed the absolute beating Asik takes every game? Now imagine AD being the one getting hit. I don't think Asik was a mistake at all.
    Phrased it wrong. I meant "if" Dell thinks he made a mistake. Whether or not Asik is the perfect fit is another topic to be discussed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who says its a mistake? Has no one else noticed the absolute beating Asik takes every game? Now imagine AD being the one getting hit. I don't think Asik was a mistake at all.
    OA gets MUGGED all night ! His head, neck & forearms look like beet juice ! I,ve not recently seen a BIG get constantly mauled w/ so few foul calls !

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 28sinan View Post
    Next years salary cap is projected to be @$66.300.000

You guys have Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Ryan Anderson, Anthony Davis, Quincy Pondexter under contract and I would assume Eric Gordon will not get out of his contract. So your cap hit would be @$55.796.877

Than there would be Omer Asik, Jeff Withey, Alexis Ajinca and Luke Babbitt with cap holds. A total of $15.603.797

If you add up the cap hit of the players that are here next season and the cap holds that brings you over the cap. That would mean no cap space but the NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION($5.464.000) and the BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION($2.139.000)

There is the possibility to get under the cap but therefore the rights for Asik, Withey, Ajinca and Babbitt has to be renounced. But that doesn't mean you have the difference between $66.300.000 and $55.796.877! You would have to add 6 x $525.093(League minimum) because you guys would have just 6 players under contract. That would leave you with $7.352.565 in cap space and the ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION($2.814.000)

So what it comes down to is:

Asik + NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION + BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION

or

CAP SPACE($7.352.565) + ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION

Will the player you get for <$7.5 million be better than Asik and the player you get w/ the full MLE? I doubt that.
    Dude, that is nice. Exactly what I was thinking but could never in a million years lay it down like that. I think Asik, even at 8-10 million is a good player. Is he an all-star, no. But with what some of these fools get paid in the NBA he almost seems like a steal at $8 million. I think he will only get better as time goes on as well.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Center Position Moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    Dude, that is nice. Exactly what I was thinking but could never in a million years lay it down like that. I think Asik, even at 8-10 million is a good player. Is he an all-star, no. But with what some of these fools get paid in the NBA he almost seems like a steal at $8 million. I think he will only get better as time goes on as well.
    Hmmmm I think I have seen this before on a different page. Well that's weird.. Your quoted post is different from what I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think personalities will play into it as well, remember Asik doesn't care about scoring points, like he told AD this "offseason" at the world cup. Sign a Center worth similar money and see if they have the same sentiments? I'd imagine they'd want a few more touches, or at least be more involved offensively.

I think having Asik is actually a great fit for this team at the moment, it's been a bit tricky while the players learn to run the offense properly, but I like those little things he does such as setting solid screens and sealing off people to let the slasher get a free lane. Also I think that his potential on defense hasn't been made apparent because of the awful perimeter D, but as we get better wings (already have upgraded since the beginning of the season), he's going to really shine.

Of course if we can get a Gasol type player who buys into what we're doing, I'd be thrilled. But I would give Omer a season or so to get settled in, upgrade the wing position and then see the fruits of Dell's labour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Banned
    We need someone who can set a decent pick off the pick and roll. A tough guy.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Hmmmm I think I have seen this before on a different page. Well that's weird.. Your quoted post is different from what I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea what you see or what you are trying to say but whatever it is, you are wrong. I simply commented, it's not my original post. What exactly was the point of this anyway? #really?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Asking a center to shoot 70% from the line is like asking a shooting guard to shoot 95%
    Not necessarily. Per ESPN's stats, 17 of 25 listed centers average over 70% (with only 3 worse than Asik). No one in the NBA shoots over 95%.

I think the team will try to re-sign Asik. Hopefully it is in the $8-$9 million or less range. He is a very good defender, but not the elite defender he was touted as. I find him somewhat soft at times. He gives too much ground to driving guards (maybe scared to get a foul). He also does not seem to have great stamina (and may be just getting use to being a full time player). Offensively, he is a disaster.

Omer is fine. This team could really use someone on the bench that has a post game.

A Carl Landry type...or maybe Carl himself.

I think he's making progress finishing better at the rim. The top teams in the league have all been together for multiple years. So, I think they'll get better as a unit. When and if the Pels do make the playoffs Asik will be a force. Playoff basketball is played at a slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Omer is fine. This team could really use someone on the bench that has a post game.

A Carl Landry type...or maybe Carl himself.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Asking a center to shoot 70% from the line is like asking a shooting guard to shoot 95%

So we can't ask him to hit 70% but its ok for AD to shoot 80%?

You bring Asik back (we have made bigger contract mistakes than signing a young proven center). Bring him back for $8 or $9 (I don't he is fetching that much on the open market, and if so, walk on by). You will still have enough cash to throw your Morrow/Jimmers (prove it contracts), your Ajinca/Ayon (foreign guy), and couple of second rounders. We will have gelled more, and with a new coach and better system, we will be singing.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The one thing Ajincia, Anthony Davis, and omar asik .... never do is effectively establish position down low and grind out points from the low-post.

We also tend to have more problems against the bulkier guys around the league.

So I think adding a thick/wide undersized C or PF who can score on the blocks would perfectly augment Davis, Ajincia's and even Asik.

Carl Landry knew what to do with the ball...... but I was thinking more like a Glen Davis, Jarred Sullinger, Milsap, even B Bass type of dudes

What's Robin Lopez's status this off season?

I was checking out some stats and I found some interesting things that some of you might find useful.

Here are some on court - off court ratings:

Here are the ratings of the Asik-AD tandem:

And last your starting five:

Before some of you give up on Omer you might want to wait a little longer. Ealier in the season, and there is no denying, Omer didn't look good and the team didn't play good with him on the floor. But that clearly started to change.
    And maybe more importantly you guys are starting to dominate when AD and Omer are on the floor together. Over the season the Anderson/AD duo is still a little better but that 99 DefRtg of AD/Omer is what is going to win you games in PO games. And what those two are doing together in the last couple of weeks is just silly.
    And I had no idea that your S5 was that good statistically. And that was mostly @the start so one would think that that could even get better w/ more experience and chemistry together. For lineups w/ more than 100+ min you guys rank 15th and that's good!

This team isn't build as bad as I thought and the coaching isn't as bad as I thought either. You guys had some bad breaks aka injuries and you play in the murder conference. Get ONE good role player w/ the full MLE to strengthen the bench and the next step will be made.
    Don't give up on Omer because there are teams that would love to have him and won't hesitate to get after him if you guys don't.
    Last edited by 28sinan; 01-30-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    Houston Rockets Fan from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by 28sinan View Post
    I was checking out some stats and I found some interesting things that some of you might find useful.

Here are some on court - off court ratings:

Here are the ratings of the Asik-AD tandem:

And last your starting five:

Before some of you give up on Omer you might want to wait a little longer. Ealier in the season, and there is no denying, Omer didn't look good and the team didn't play good with him on the floor. But that clearly started to change.
    And maybe more importantly you guys are starting to dominate when AD and Omer are on the floor together. Over the season the Anderson/AD duo is still a little better but that 99 DefRtg of AD/Omer is what is going to win you games in PO games. And what those two are doing together in the last couple of weeks is just silly.
    And I had no idea that your S5 was that good statistically. And that was mostly @the start so one would think that that could even get better w/ more experience and chemistry together. For lineups w/ more than 100+ min you guys rank 15th and that's good!

This team isn't build as bad as I thought and the coaching isn't as bad as I thought either. You guys had some bad breaks aka injuries and you play in the murder conference. Get ONE good role player w/ the full MLE to strengthen the bench and the next step will be made.
    Don't give up on Omer because there are teams that would love to have him and won't hesitate to get after him if you guys don't.
    Awesome stats. I agree with most everything you said. Omer can be very frustrating to watch but what he bring in defense and rebounding is hard to find, and he and AD just fit too well together.

My ONE concern is still strength of schedule. We've probably had the easiest schedule in the league over the last 10. Then again we've been missing maybe our best defender in Jrue Holiday.

Thread Information