Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans Overworked in Practice?

Pelicans Overworked in Practice?

Sean Payton is famous for giving his players a day off at the Water Park or bowling alley but Monty Williams is a nose to the grindstone kind of coach. But he gave the team a day off and boom they won:

"And with his team in the gutter after a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, Williams spun the Pelicans’ team buses into an alley in Toronto, leading to a surprise win against the Raptors even with Davis and point guard Jrue Holiday, who might be the Pelicans’ underrated king pin, out. From Fox Sports Southwest":

“It was really a wonderful surprise,” said Alexis Ajinca, who scored a career high 22 points off the bench. “We laughed and relaxed with each other. It helped us mentally re-set.”

Not to mention the way a rested Eric Gordon has come back from his left shoulder injury after an extended rest and Ryno lighting it up last night against the Mavs after siting out against the Timberwolves with "ankle inflammation" a couple of games before.

Monty has a reputation of loving intense practice sessions and running his players asses into the ground. He also has a reputation for being a control freak. Could the answer for the Pelicans be letting the guys get a little rest and during games just letting them play?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

they are young and not very technical, they need the reps IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Sean Payton is famous for giving his players a day off at the Water Park or bowling alley but Monty Williams is a nose to the grindstone kind of coach. But he gave the team a day off and boom they won:

"And with his team in the gutter after a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, Williams spun the Pelicans’ team buses into an alley in Toronto, leading to a surprise win against the Raptors even with Davis and point guard Jrue Holiday, who might be the Pelicans’ underrated king pin, out. From Fox Sports Southwest":

“It was really a wonderful surprise,” said Alexis Ajinca, who scored a career high 22 points off the bench. “We laughed and relaxed with each other. It helped us mentally re-set.”

Not to mention the way a rested Eric Gordon has come back from his left shoulder injury after an extended rest and Ryno lighting it up last night against the Mavs after siting out against the Timberwolves with "ankle inflammation" a couple of games before.

Monty has a reputation of loving intense practice sessions and running his players asses into the ground. He also has a reputation for being a control freak. Could the answer for the Pelicans be letting the guys get a little rest and during games just letting them play?
    Is this something we have heard from other players, or just an excuse us fans create to blame everything on the coach?

Over practiced, under coached.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Is this something we have heard from other players, or just an excuse us fans create to blame everything on the coach?
    I'm actually a Monty fan. But have been impressed by players production when coming off of a rest Just saying Monty is a task maker.

I'm actually a Monty fan. But have been impressed by players production when coming off of a rest Just saying Monty is a task maker.
    But I need proof that Monty is this way. By all accounts he is a player's coach, which to me seems like he gives the players rest and accommodates them to an extent.

Also tonight was a back-to-back, and we played some really nice ball movement offense. Yes, I know it was Philly, but last nights game was a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    But I need proof that Monty is this way. By all accounts he is a player's coach, which to me seems like he gives the players rest and accommodates them to an extent.

Also tonight was a back-to-back, and we played some really nice ball movement offense. Yes, I know it was Philly, but last nights game was a tough one.
    I was at last night game and it was awesome. AD willed the team to victory and Monty coached a great game. Did you notice Jimmer played 2 seconds? Just saying that Ryno rested a game and came back with a huge game and EG came back from an extended injury rest and has been money.

didn't monty take them bowling like just last week?
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    didn't monty take them bowling like just last week?
    Yep.

The schedule is grueling enough, I don't care how young they are. The occasional cancellation of a scheduled practice can have TWO positive effects: the surprise of not having practice and the rest.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    He is too controlling with Jrue. Jrue is a players coach and Monty knows this. Let the guy play his game. Jrue plays exactly how coach tells his to and that's not always good.

Monty needs to work the players but I love the bowling and maybe a little breather for these guys.

Thread Information