Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I apologize for questioning Pels getting in the Jeff Green trade

Pelicans I apologize for questioning Pels getting in the Jeff Green trade

those who were in the thread about the trade that landed us Q-Pon know I was wondering why the Pelicans would accept the minor player role in a major trade that would make a division rival (Grizzlies) better

well... after seeing how AD referenced Pondexter being a big voice down the stretch in tonight's big win... that was definitely a big pick-up for the Pelicans

so glad you're back Q-Pon
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I watched Qpon pump from the corner 3pt line, drive, and dish to Asik for a dunk. Tbh I haven't seen a pelican's SF do something like that in a LONG time

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    I watched Qpon pump from the corner 3pt line, drive, and dish to Asik for a dunk. Tbh I haven't seen a pelican's SF do something like that in a LONG time
    That's what happens when your SF has a 3-pt shot that warrants respect from the opposition. It's nice to see.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    It's such a simple play too. Fake, drive, dish. 10 year olds do this.

yeah that dime to Asik was lovely. made even more lovely by Asik catching it and making the bucket. Maybe we just need to pump the ball at his face? force him to catch it or wear it? thought Asik had a good night with his hands actually, don't kill me asik fans

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    those who were in the thread about the trade that landed us Q-Pon know I was wondering why the Pelicans would accept the minor player role in a major trade that would make a division rival (Grizzlies) better

well... after seeing how AD referenced Pondexter being a big voice down the stretch in tonight's big win... that was definitely a big pick-up for the Pelicans

so glad you're back Q-Pon
    Apology excepted. ...GEAUX PELS! !!!!!

I also hated on the trade and Q-Pon. So far I've been eating crow and loving it. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Yeah me too, I was way wrong about QPon, he has yet to prove that he's worth his salary, but he's definitely an NBA player, hope he can keep this up, because he's playing ok. Still think we should have paid low for buying low though.

Edit:
    Actually his shooting numbers are still pretty bad.

My question is: At what point does SF not become the #1 priority this summer?

Let's say we bring Dante back with the bi-annual. Would/Should we really look to spend the MLE on a SF? Or do you go and find a guard with that money? Or a backup big?

Between Q-Pon, DC, and Reke playing at 3 in small ball lineups, we have 48 minutes at that position sewn up. Might be wiser to look elsewhere with the MLE if we keep everyone. Amare, Jeremy Lin, and Corey Joseph all guys I would seriously consider.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Let's say we bring Dante back with the bi-annual. Would/Should we really look to spend the MLE on a SF? Or do you go and find a guard with that money? Or a backup big?

Between Q-Pon, DC, and Reke playing at 3 in small ball lineups, we have 48 minutes at that position sewn up. Might be wiser to look elsewhere with the MLE if we keep everyone. Amare, Jeremy Lin, and Corey Joseph all guys I would seriously consider.
    Yep. This is what I've said a few times now. The SFs available this summer that will be in the MLE range don't seem to be a huge upgrade over QPon.

Only one I'd grab over a guard is G Green if we can get him for the MLE. His shooting would be so good for this team and spacing.

If we can't get him then I look guard all the way then focus on getting a SF when Gordon comes off the books.

I think we could still really use another shooter at SF regardless, and have Cunningham in a smaller role. We don't have enough spot up shooters

Lin? Interesting choice.
    Not a guy I would consider.
    I agree we use the MLE to strengthen the guards and C.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yep. This is what I've said a few times now. The SFs available this summer that will be in the MLE range don't seem to be a huge upgrade over QPon.

Only one I'd grab over a guard is G Green if we can get him for the MLE. His shooting would be so good for this team and spacing.

If we can't get him then I look guard all the way then focus on getting a SF when Gordon comes off the books.
    What is Greens perimeter defence like?
    I agree with going for a premier SF in 2016.
    Nic Batum gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What is Greens perimeter defence like?
    I agree with going for a premier SF in 2016.
    Nic Batum gets my vote.
    I'm not sure I haven't looked closely at his defense since there isn't a good way to track it without just straight watching games.

He fits our need for a shooting wing player. He can play the 2 or the 3 so he adds a lot of flexibility.

Batum would be REALLY nice. Also takes away a need for a great backup Pg because he is so good passing.

I think all the Green's will get more than the MLE. Carroll might too.

If we have just the MLE to work with, I think the value will be at guard or a big like Stoudamire or Brandan Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm not sure I haven't looked closely at his defense since there isn't a good way to track it without just straight watching games.

He fits our need for a shooting wing player. He can play the 2 or the 3 so he adds a lot of flexibility.

Batum would be REALLY nice. Also takes away a need for a great backup Pg because he is so good passing.
    Depending how Portland goes over the next few years I could see Batum coming here purely because of his relationship with Monty. However is Monty still the coach in 2016?

Man could you imagine a 5 of:
    Holiday
    Evans
    Batum
    Davis
    Asik

In 2016

How did this thread go from giving Q-Pon props to immediately looking for an upgrade for him?

lol

He's one of those guys where it's hard to pick something out that he does really badly. He's just an all-around guy. He's a great locker room guy, too. All the great teams have a guy like Q.

How did this thread go from giving Q-Pon props to immediately looking for an upgrade for him?

lol
    Yeah I know sorry.
    Q-Pon isn't a starter though.

Yeah I am all for batum. Dude is a great fit
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yeah I know sorry.
    Q-Pon isn't a starter though.
    Why not?

Can he be your 5th best player? Maybe not. But a starter for a title team? Sure.

Starts and gives you 24-30 solid, low usage minutes. I would argue that with all our high usage guys, that is exactly what is needed.

Why not?

Can he be your 5th best player? Maybe not. But a starter for a title team? Sure.

Starts and gives you 24-30 solid, low usage minutes. I would argue that with all our high usage guys, that is exactly what is needed.
    If Tyreke and Asik are part of the core then you need a guy who spaces the floor. If Q can hit the 3 at 35% or better then I'd rather use that Gordon money on a bench that goes 10 NBA caliber deep.

for the record... I never questioned adding Q-Pon to the team as I knew he fit where we had a serious need

my question was involving ourselves in a trade that helped another SW division team more than it helped us... but in the end Q-Pon may be helping us more than I expected... his presence could really help us make a playoff push (even as NBATV continues to push Thunder vs. Suns for the final playoff spot in the West)

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    for the record... I never questioned adding Q-Pon to the team as I knew he fit where we had a serious need

my question was involving ourselves in a trade that helped another SW division team more than it helped us... but in the end Q-Pon may be helping us more than I expected... his presence could really help us make a playoff push (even as NBATV continues to push Thunder vs. Suns for the final playoff spot in the West)
    That trade was gonna happen whether we were involved or not, so might as well get a useful piece when you can.

Thread Information