Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I apologize for questioning Pels getting in the Jeff Green trade

It would help if we knew who we could get for the MLE. I would really like Green or Carroll at SF if they could be had for the MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How did this thread go from giving Q-Pon props to immediately looking for an upgrade for him?

lol
    The mere mention of FA will do that
    Jrue dat

Why not?

Can he be your 5th best player? Maybe not. But a starter for a title team? Sure.

Starts and gives you 24-30 solid, low usage minutes. I would argue that with all our high usage guys, that is exactly what is needed.
    This without question. Everyone wants SF, if we get an expensive small forward he will have to compete for shots with tyreke, Eric for one year, jrue and most importantly davis. I think number 1 priority is center, the backup pg/big. I think we will have to upgrade over Asik, it's too bad but playing 4/5 on offense is too difficult despite the numbers he puts up on the defensive end.

AD is unquestionably the first option on offence, who is number 2?

Is it Jrue?

Is it Reke?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    those who were in the thread about the trade that landed us Q-Pon know I was wondering why the Pelicans would accept the minor player role in a major trade that would make a division rival (Grizzlies) better

well... after seeing how AD referenced Pondexter being a big voice down the stretch in tonight's big win... that was definitely a big pick-up for the Pelicans

so glad you're back Q-Pon
    I was actually gonna say something in reference to this, the guy belongs here. He's becoming a awesome role player with intangibles that fit perfectly with this roster. Based on what AD said above even though he's only been here a short amount of times he's already a bit of a leader. Dell's a smart man when it comes to finding the glue that help holds the entire piece in his mind in tack...what? Yeah whatever lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I think all the Green's will get more than the MLE. Carroll might too.

If we have just the MLE to work with, I think the value will be at guard or a big like Stoudamire or Brandan Wright
    Amare would be coming off a 100 mill contract and he's having a flash back of his old self season, I highly doubt he settles for the MLE.

probably he settles for MLE-type money in...Israel

he mentioned his Jewish roots, so probably he will finish his NBA career

but if not - bigs are always overpaid. healthy Amare may earn 10 millions...

First, Green is not going to help Memphis that much, and neither will Russ Smith. Second, out involvement had negligible effect on the trade.

As for being a starter or not, Q-Pon is similar to Cunningham in that he is a role player who doesn't need touches but won't waste the ones he has. He will make a pass rather than take a poor shot, unless the clock is winding down. So, the role is played very well, so far. He is quicker than Dante, but not as long. Between the two we have a solid defensive 3 depending on the type of 3 being defended. Floor spacing is provided to a sufficient degree, although point production is not. Both seem durable, and each can play another position in time of need. Assuming they both continue to be solid, the pair relieve us of the desperate need to gamble on a 3 this summer. If we keep both plus Asik then our main need would be at backup PG. If we lose Asik (hope we don't), then replacing him becomes priority 1.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    Amare would be coming off a 100 mill contract and he's having a flash back of his old self season, I highly doubt he settles for the MLE.
    I disagree. That is all Paul Pierce got and he was/is a more productive player. Money in FA is reserved for guys in their prime or with "upside"

The only way Amare gets more than the MLE in my opinion is if the Knicks strike out on everyone and then give him a 1yr/10 mil type of deal to fill up their sheet.
    @mcnamara247

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    My question is: At what point does SF not become the #1 priority this summer?

Let's say we bring Dante back with the bi-annual. Would/Should we really look to spend the MLE on a SF? Or do you go and find a guard with that money? Or a backup big?

Between Q-Pon, DC, and Reke playing at 3 in small ball lineups, we have 48 minutes at that position sewn up. Might be wiser to look elsewhere with the MLE if we keep everyone. Amare, Jeremy Lin, and Corey Joseph all guys I would seriously consider.
    Victor Oladipo.

As long as it doesn't involve Davis/Holiday/QPon/Tyreke

Ones Austin & Ones Q-Pon... hard to guess
    Last edited by AD23nEG10; 01-26-2015 at 08:42 AM.

My biggest issue is I don't want anymore money tied up in injury prone players. Having him, Mr. Glass, Jrue (who knows if this injury will bug him the rest of his career), and Tyreke who usually is good for 10-15 games a season that's a lot of players who run risk of missing games - possibly significant amounts.

My personal preference is to just spend the money on a more surefire guard and live with our bigs. Maybe bring back Big Pat or if he has matured some Blatche.

I should apologize also because I questioned the trade hard as well hoping we could package rivers and someone else for a better SF or a backup PG and another DC type of player that can hit a set 3 pt shot. But I am glad we have Q-Pon. The guy is as tough as nails. I think the time at memphis has hardened him and we are reaping the benefits of this at a low cost. He is just about everything the board has been saying they wanted in a SF. Can hit the corner 3, can take his man off the drive, can handle the ball some when needed, makes the smart plays, tough, good defender, decent rebounder, great locker room guy.

I think we all know what our glaring whole is now and that's the backup pg position. IMO this is more important than another big because of AA's confidence recently. I don't think we need anyone huge at the backup pg position, just someone reliable that won't shy away from the chaos of an nba game.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotSniper View Post
    and we are reaping the benefits

Thread Information