Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread! Pelicans vs. Mavericks 1/25/15

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How many wins do you think it will take to get the 8th seed?
    Fletcher tweeted out a stat recently that said Durant's third year, Thunder started out a lot like we did, then blew up in the second half getting 50 wins. I don't know how credible that is, but it's very intriguing.

How many wins do you think it will take to get the 8th seed?
    No idea. I'm not betting on it, but I think this is a better squad than alot of people give credit for.

If OKC gets rolling and goes nuts yea we will have trouble making it, but one big injury (i.e. Tyson) and we could have another window

I want to drink the koolaid. I am hesitant.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Fletcher tweeted out a stat recently that said Durant's third year, Thunder started out a lot like we did, then blew up in the second half getting 50 wins. I don't know how credible that is, but it's very intriguing.
    They were 24-21, then won 9 straight. Lost 2 in a row, then won 8 of their next 9 for a total of 17 wins in 20 games.

Finished 50-32 and got into playoffs.

Though I hate using things like that, because we all know that there is absolutely no reason to use the 2009-10 Thunder for predictive success. I am sure I can find some star whose team went on a losing streak this time of year in his 3rd season too. Means nothing for THIS Pels team.
    @mcnamara247

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Looking at the schedule I think around 48 wins is definitely doable. The problem with this team is it's pretty difficult to pick which individual games we'll win or lose.

Not saying it is likely, but I went through groups of games and thought 25 more wins was a possibility. Not sure how many wins it will take, but I wouldn't say we're eliminated yet. I'll give us a 15-20% chance, even though that could be a little bit high.

I think 49 wins and the tiebreaker over OKC gives the Pels a 60% chance of getting in. I think that is what it will take at the minimum.

But then again, I can see OKC finally hitting the pedal and just going on a tear and finishing with 52 or 53. The question is whether any of the other 7 hit a road block and fall below 50. Houston would be the most likely candidate if Harden gets hurt or starts to struggle. But still, they would have to go 19-19 the rest of the way for them to finish with 49 wins.

Best chance is for another Durant injury. If Durant and Westbrook stay healthy, I think they sniff 50 or more. I am really not worried about Phoenix

I think 49 wins and the tiebreaker over OKC gives the Pels a 60% chance of getting in. I think that is what it will take at the minimum.

But then again, I can see OKC finally hitting the pedal and just going on a tear and finishing with 52 or 53. The question is whether any of the other 7 hit a road block and fall below 50. Houston would be the most likely candidate if Harden gets hurt or starts to struggle. But still, they would have to go 19-19 the rest of the way for them to finish with 49 wins.

Best chance is for another Durant injury. If Durant and Westbrook stay healthy, I think they sniff 50 or more. I am really not worried about Phoenix
    Anything can happen. Portland, for example, is historically a bad second half team. Aldridge is playing through an injury that could worsen. I could see Houston hitting a slump, too. Howard isn't the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
    I want to drink the koolaid. I am hesitant.
    Let's start with a sip!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I had this one as a loss. Then again, the structural problems like the ball watching, the isos where there is no off ball movement whatsoever, bottom of the league in forcing turnovers & D FG %--which puts even more pressure on running good offense...

All of the above makes this team highly unpredictable. Especially on the road. Can beat the best and lose to the worst.

And it looks like Carlisle is blaming the refs:

""The difference in the game was the whistles, really," Carlisle said. "You never want to see a call like that made, but they made it. So we got to play through it."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

""The difference in the game was the whistles, really," Carlisle said. "You never want to see a call like that made, but they made it. So we got to play through it."
    Fine $$$

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Let's start with a sip!
    would it be considered a "sip" if I firmly believe the Pels will make it 4 in a row tomorrow night?
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

well the refs kinda HAVE to make the call when they're bear-hugging AD before the inbounds pass

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Fire Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    I recorded it, so my curiosity got the best of me and went to see if this was true.

It is true.

Here's the crappy quality vine I made:

https://vine.co/v/OTevPWKXLvj
    That gave me happy goosebumps

Was it aimed at anyone in particular?

[QUOTE=Asteptooslow;1284219]Stop insulting posters. It is a foul friend.[/QUOTE
    Go away
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 01-25-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Fire Monty?
    I never got off the bandwagon.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Like I always say. Davis is good for one f bomb a game.
    He was in Beast Mode at the end of the game

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    He was in Beast Mode at the end of the game
    AD gonna AD

Rick can **** and moan all he wants, we still had 6 more pf's, and both teams shot the same amount of ft's.

I don't buy the "let me blame the refs for this loss." This was a close game, but the team never took their foot off the gas, and he just needs to accept that without Jermain O'Neil, his team is heading for a frustrating 2nd half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Rick can **** and moan all he wants, we still had 6 more pf's, and both teams shot the same amount of ft's.

I don't buy the "let me blame the refs for this loss." This was a close game, but the team never took their foot off the gas, and he just needs to accept that without Jermain O'Neil, his team is heading for a frustrating 2nd half of the season.
    Rondoe

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    That gave me happy goosebumps

Was it aimed at anyone in particular?
    The other 29 teams. AD putting them on notice, "We're done losing!"

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    The other 29 teams. AD putting them on notice, "We're done losing!"
    This team in 3 years time is going to be GOAT

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Good win!!! Missed the game playing Playstation but caught the end, luckily. Loved the emotion showed by the "Big Brow" at the end. Yay or nay on that nickname? Lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Good win!!! Missed the game playing Playstation but caught the end, luckily. Loved the emotion showed by the "Big Brow" at the end. Yay or nay on that nickname? Lol

Thread Information