Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Quincy Pondexter

Thoughts on Quincy Pondexter

A lot of people said they did and didn't like the trade, what are your thoughts? I love that we have him for this year and 3 more at only 3.5 million a year. And MAN did I wish he woulda got that nasty slam he went up for tonight! I remember his last year he played for us he posterized Amare in NY.

We are still getting to know the player he has become, his strengths and his limitations. But one thing that shows up right away is his defensive energy and infectious enthusiasm. David Wesley said on air shortly after Pondexter's return that he thought he would bring a positive vibe to the team, and I can see what he means. He's the kind of vocal upbeat guy you want on your team and that's an element I think this roster has lacked since Morrow left. I think it's also valuable that he played on a mature playoff team and can bring that experience to the Pels.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    AD seems to enjoy playing with him, I noticed

He's just so lackluster offensively, I'd like to see him demand attention with willingness to shoot or drive, seems to be very good guarding the big 2s and 3s one on one, but one on one D doesn't mean much in this league anymore. He pulled a sick crossover in NYK though.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Qpon is a good fit. Lets see how he does for the rest of the season. He was worth the money. We need to pick up gerald green and move Ryno to get help at other positions.

About where I expected. 13-35, 37% from the field, 4-15, 27% from three. It will likely improve but nothing that truly moves the needle. If we sign a legit starting SF I would expect Pondexter to sit behind DC or be fighting him for playing time and only barely edging him out.

Like I expected his defensive and offensive rating has dropped thanks to a system that seems to not help players.

I am still not convinced that it wasn't a bad move that tethers us to a player for a long contract that hasn't proven recently that he is much more then a 8th, 9th or 10th man on a very good team.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-22-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    He's just so lackluster offensively, I'd like to see him demand attention with willingness to shoot or drive, seems to be very good guarding the big 2s and 3s one on one, but one on one D doesn't mean much in this league anymore. He pulled a sick crossover in NYK though.
    Disagree.

He's been very good so far, has a very high BBIQ on defense and offense and only makes the team better.

Someone said in the game thread that he does all the basic things right but it seems amazing to us on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Disagree.

He's been very good so far, has a very high BBIQ on defense and offense and only makes the team better.

Someone said in the game thread that he does all the basic things right but it seems amazing to us on this team.
    I agree...Quincy was constantly smart decision...He seems to make the team play with more chemistry while he's on the floor...Remember that we have enough guys who demand the ball on this team thats not what we need from QP. We just need him to keep the defense honest and unlike cunningham and babbitt, he has proven that he can occasionally take his guy off the dribble if thats what the defense is giving us.

Seems to be fitting in, does need to get the % up some.

Smart, complete player. Need more guys like him. Definitely seems like Monty's type of guy.
    I didn't like the trade at first just because he is a long term contract but in a vacuum having him for 3.5 million per year is a good contract. And we did get him for next to nothing.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'll admit I said I didn't like or hated the trade. So far I have been proven wrong. It's only a couple of games but Qpon to me looks like a solid role player and his defense has seemed to improve even more since the last time he was here. Getting a solid role players for poop is a good deal.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'll admit I said I didn't like or hated the trade. So far I have been proven wrong. It's only a couple of games but Qpon to me looks like a solid role player and his defense has seemed to improve even more since the last time he was here. Getting a solid role players for poop is a good deal.
    Well yea, he left here like 3 seasons ago.... Everyone knew he improved defensively! Haha

I would like to wait a little bit more to make my final judgement. We were in love with Rivers after the first 8 games of the year, same with Aminu the year before, same with Ajinca after his two game masterpiece. I think (or hope) we have learned from our small sample size mistakes of the past.

That said, I think that if he stays healthy, he is a rotation player, and while you might be able to get similar production from a minimum guy, there are intangibles that Quincy seems to bring that most minimum guys don't. And most minimum guys only stay minimum guys for a year if they play well, so having a cheap rotation guy locked up for multiple years and getting some continuity on this team would be a good thing.

I would prefer him in the starting lineup, because I think AD and Asik could cover up his most glaring weakness (rebounding). I would say that if he hits the 3-ball at a 35% clip or better in combination with all the other things we have seen, it is a good trade. 40% or better, it is a great one.
    @mcnamara247

he looks like what we were hoping Darius Miller would be. he should start and he'd get more open looks from the corner

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quincy Pondexter gives us the intangibles that Morrow gave us last year.....
    at an extended rate.

If he can up the 3 pt % he is a great fit in our starting lineup

he brings a stability in BBIG to this team which severly lacks from most of the other players. His experience with older guys on the Grizzlies helped him a lot. I see AD enjoys him being here. Last night QPon started the feed the beast mode for AD. Everyone else followed suit. Guess what we went up by +10 and never lost the lead again. Good pickup, we have enough scorers but not enough brains (LOL).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would like to wait a little bit more to make my final judgement. We were in love with Rivers after the first 8 games of the year, same with Aminu the year before, same with Ajinca after his two game masterpiece. I think (or hope) we have learned from our small sample size mistakes of the past.

That said, I think that if he stays healthy, he is a rotation player, and while you might be able to get similar production from a minimum guy, there are intangibles that Quincy seems to bring that most minimum guys don't. And most minimum guys only stay minimum guys for a year if they play well, so having a cheap rotation guy locked up for multiple years and getting some continuity on this team would be a good thing.

I would prefer him in the starting lineup, because I think AD and Asik could cover up his most glaring weakness (rebounding). I would say that if he hits the 3-ball at a 35% clip or better in combination with all the other things we have seen, it is a good trade. 40% or better, it is a great one.
    Either way, what he gives us, based on his contract, is spectacular. Theres no reason to think his hustle or defense will regress the closer he gets to signing a new contract. If he finds the ability to hit the 3 ball, then that just makes his contract that much better.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Well yea, he left here like 3 seasons ago.... Everyone knew he improved defensively! Haha
    Defensive ratings say differently.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Defensive ratings are based on the team you play for

I feel like it's hard to guage him based on the last 2 years in Memphis. It's a little like guaging vasquez on his paltry numbers before we got him. It would've been silly to expect him to significantly outplay his career averages, but it's also not super-logical to not expect him to grow in effectiveness with a clear role and proper players around him.

He also seems like an "I need confidence to succeed" type of guy. I'm not sure being benched over Tayshaun did a whole lot to help that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think he's earned the right to start. No disrespect to Cunningham. But Q-Pon's range extends beyond the 3pt like, Cunningham's doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I think he's earned the right to start. No disrespect to Cunningham. But Q-Pon's range extends beyond the 3pt like, Cunningham's doesn't.
    I agree with you, but it's his handle that pushes the needle for me.

I am happy with what he brings. I only wish we had made this deal earlier in the season. To get rid of AR and not have the problems he caused, and not had to worry about finding a way to grow a rookie in Russ. I wish we had both Cunningham and QPon since opening tip as I think we would have 1 or 2 more wins (and been much more competitive in a handful of other games).

MM, this difference I see in QPon's sample size and AR's (from earlier this season, which I never bought into btw), is that QPon wasn't a flash in the pan. He hasn't had to put together a string of games to show he is more than a jersey, as he has had success in the NBA. While that success was pre injury, he had it none the less, and his numbers on the year reflected that he was making improvements to getting back to pre-injury Pondexter. There are certainly to be doubts as to wether he was a product of Memphis' system with those great bigs, or if he can regain the form that saw him be a key factor in some Memphis playoff series. But it can't be doubted that he and Cunningham have been our best 1-2sf combo since Rasuel Butler and Peja.

Rivers never warranted the same respect as he never showed for long enough stretches that he could be a key contributor. He might have had a 6-7 game string of productive games, but he always regressed. Your a math guy, you know rotations better than anyone on this board. There wasn't a rotation that didn't show Rivers to be the weakest link, no matter who he played with. In contrast Pondexter at least showed he belonged with the first unit in Memphis. Rivers had strings of games where you thought that the light was finally coming on, but then he would regress to lower lows than before. He was fools good to the nth degree.

This isn't a "Bash Rivers thread", or a "We just found the next Gerald Green" thread, but I agree with the sentiments previously expressed. We might have just gotten away with grand theft, and not gotten caught.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We need someone on the bench that can score not named Ryno.

Thread Information