Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoughts on Quincy Pondexter

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    We need someone on the bench that can score not named Ryno.
    I'd be satisfied with someone NAMED Ryno scoring off the bench

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Defensive ratings are based on the team you play for
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    I feel like it's hard to guage him based on the last 2 years in Memphis.
    Exactly. That's why I said to me it looks like he's improved, even though he was already pretty good in that area, since the last time he's been here. I just don't remember him being about to guard a Kobe or Melo as well as he has.

Tyreke eventually..AJinca and Jimmer arent bad either

I don't know yet. Its still early to tell. So far so good tho. I think we still need a quality starting sf and let Qpon come off the bench.

QPon has a 112 DRTG... goes to show using DRTG as your sole argument for defense doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    QPon has a 112 DRTG... goes to show using DRTG as your sole argument for defense doesn't work
    agreed, with the Defense I saw him play on Kobe and Melo he looked like a stud.

He's been ok. That's about it.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Cunningham and qpon have been excellent role players. Can't ask for more than what they are giving us.

This. We have to start relying on others to score off the bench. We are a better overall team when Ryno is being limited in terms of shots attempted and minutes played. Especially when we are playing defense.

Yes i really like this trade. He is very vocal on the court and there is no fall off in defense when Cunningham comes off the lineup.

Banned
    I wish we had a more solid scorer off the bench that is fo sho.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    I hope Quincy finds his 3pt stroke from that Memphis playoff run and plays to his ceiling. If so, we have our starting SF for pennies on the dollar. Most of us have said that our SF doesn't need to be an all star if AD/Jrue/Tyreke are the core scorers. Just needs to have high IQ, defend, and be a perimeter spot-up threat.

Banned
    He is the best help defender on the team. He knows how to be a team player.

Q-Pon has been solid, considering how he's been thrown into the rotation. His energy and BBIQ has been refreshing. If he can knock down a few open shots, he could be a steal at his price. Defensively he has been good, to bad we never got the chance to see him and Jrue play together. I think that would've been awesome to see....

Offensively, he has basically been the same guy he was in Memphis these last two years, which isn't good, but the defense, leadership, and intelligence he has displayed has been a welcome site. You guys are right, IF he can start hitting his shot again, then he is a steal at that contract, but it is as likely or probably more likely that he doesn't. My point is that even if he doesn't, he is still a welcome addition. Hitting his shot would just turn this acquisition from a solid one to a great one.
    @mcnamara247

He is literally 1 made 3pt shot away from shooting 33%. His sample size is so small right now that it's just hard to get an accurate measure on him yet. The encouraging thing is he is taking nearly double the 2pt shots he was in Memphis and he is hitting them at his 2nd highest rate of his career.

I'm encouraged by everything I've seen of him so far. His defense, his rebounding, his ability to handle the ball some and even get a couple assists, even his inside the arc shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He is literally 1 made 3pt shot away from shooting 33%. His sample size is so small right now that it's just hard to get an accurate measure on him yet. The encouraging thing is he is taking nearly double the 2pt shots he was in Memphis and he is hitting them at his 2nd highest rate of his career.

I'm encouraged by everything I've seen of him so far. His defense, his rebounding, his ability to handle the ball some and even get a couple assists, even his inside the arc shooting.
    Of course - I was not reaching a definitive conclusion on what his shooting would be. I just saw a couple 'I think he will revert to his good shooting' posts and overall there is less evidence to support that conclusion than the opposite. Objective data says that he is far more likely to be a 30-33% three-point shooter than a 39% three-point shooter like he was that one year in Memphis.

If he is a 30-33% guy, he is a solid 20 min guy worth about what that contract pays him, maybe a tad bit more. 35-37% and he is worth 20% more than his contract. 38-40+% guy and he is a downright steal.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Of course - I was not reaching a definitive conclusion on what his shooting would be. I just saw a couple 'I think he will revert to his good shooting' posts and overall there is less evidence to support that conclusion than the opposite. Objective data says that he is far more likely to be a 30-33% three-point shooter than a 39% three-point shooter like he was that one year in Memphis.

If he is a 30-33% guy, he is a solid 20 min guy worth about what that contract pays him, maybe a tad bit more. 35-37% and he is worth 20% more than his contract. 38-40+% guy and he is a downright steal.
    My comments weren't directed at you specifically, more in a general sense it's hard to judge his shooting either way due to sample size. I tend to believe he will be a career 33-35% 3pt shooter. There is reason to hope that after being injured most of last year he is still playing himself into game shape as well.

I am more than satisfied with his contract because he fills a great hole for us on this team. He is a solid backup wing player with plus defense that if needed can start in a pinch without killing you. Even if his contract in a vacuum was considered bad (I think it is fine) his value to this team is far higher than his current contract.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My comments weren't directed at you specifically, more in a general sense it's hard to judge his shooting either way due to sample size. I tend to believe he will be a career 33-35% 3pt shooter. There is reason to hope that after being injured most of last year he is still playing himself into game shape as well.

I am more than satisfied with his contract because he fills a great hole for us on this team. He is a solid backup wing player with plus defense that if needed can start in a pinch without killing you. Even if his contract in a vacuum was considered bad (I think it is fine) his value to this team is far higher than his current contract.
    He is literally the exact SF we needed. Yeah, he doesn't need to hit those 3pts at a super high rate, just a high enough rate to be covered everytime he is standing at the 3 point line opening up the paint. And thats the WORST part in his game that we needed in a SF. He's way better than his contract suggests in rebounding and way way better in defense. He's shut down some of the best scorers. And he is good enough at 3 to space the paint... and he costs 3.5 million. Thats amazing.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You could see how different his game is to what we have when in like his first action with Asik he made him look like Marc Gasol on that two man, baseline action.

That lil' pocket pass that even Asik couldn't fumble and lay-in? We need more of that.

Thread Information