Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans Excel Out of Timeouts

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Pelicans Excel Out of Timeouts

A funny thing happened yesterday. The Pelicans won a basketball game they had no business winning. Despite being down 11 points with under six minutes to go New Orleans battled back and pulled out an improbable victory. In just ten possessions the Pels scored 19 points. They failed to score just twice (a missed Jimmer Fredette jumper and a bogus charge call on Tyreke Evans). During this span Monty Williams called two timeouts. The Pelicans scored after each.

Monty Williams has been in the crosshairs of many Pelican and non-Pelican basketball fans for quite some time. Monty does not call enough timeouts to stop runs. His rotations are poor. The team relies too much on Tyreke Evans in isolation to conclude games. Alexis Ajinca should start over Omer Asik. He can't draw up quality plays out of timeouts.

That last point, is not true. Not in a "my eyes tell me" kind of way. In a "the statistics overwhelmingly say that idea is incorrect" kind of way.
    http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2015/1/...synergy-sports

Well done monty, now hopefully the team goes bowling again to get that much needed 2 game win streak.

Banned
    Good piece. Monty does always seem to have creative plays for the end of games and coming out of timeouts. Lots of movement. It usually ends up just devolving into "Tyreke doing his thing" though. Love it when it works

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Amazing what we can do, considering we don't practice offense at all according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Amazing what we can do, considering we don't practice offense at all according to some.
    We don't have an offense, remember? Monty can't even do simple subtraction to do a 2 for 1 how can he implement an offensive system

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Nobody wants to notice or acknowledge this. They only amplify the plays were they are not executed properly. Oh I'm sorry... that's right Monty can't do anything like draw up a good play oh nooo he can't do that.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    Nobody wants to notice or acknowledge this. They only amplify the plays were they are not executed properly. Oh I'm sorry... that's right Monty can't do anything like draw up a good play oh nooo he can't do that.
    +1; Monty wasn't the problem tonight. Ryno was. (shout out to Ajinca as well as he thought he was Hakeem after his career day yesterday)

To me he needs some changes at assistant coach, and needs some player to player accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    +1; Monty wasn't the problem tonight. Ryno was. (shout out to Ajinca as well as he thought he was Hakeem after his career day yesterday)

To me he needs some changes at assistant coach, and needs some player to player accountability.

Thread Information