Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1 Month Till The Trade Deadline!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Asik is a C. He is going to get paid. People need to readjust their amounts because thinking he is only going to get 6-7m is silly talk.

We have no idea what the market will be so we have no idea what his actual value is. For example if Deandre Jordan gets the max or near it what is Asik's value? He is worse no doubt but is he only 50% the player Jordan is? No. Should he get a contract worth 50% of Jordan's? No. His value might be far higher than what people expect. That doesn't mean he will get over paid, it means peopledid not accurately gauge the market for defensive centers.

All we can really do is wait and see. But the FEAR of losing a player does not mean every time a team has a player that will be an UFA that they should deal him.
    Once again, I have ZERO fear of losing Asik.

I think Dell WANTS to and HAS to resign Asik. To me, that's a classic recipe for an overpay. This franchise needs to be risk averse right now. In my opinion, Asik's talent has not warranted the risk that the market will set his value at something higher than the Pelicans should be paying and Dell will be compelled to pay it.

Asik is a center. Unless that center is a HOF player, centers don't win titles, wings do. We can't invest such a large percentage of our cap in our frontcourt at the expense of our perimeter players. This is what I mean when I say Dell is great at dealing, but horrible at evaluating and construction. I don't believe paying significant dollars to Asik is the best way to build a championship team.

Find a rotation of 2 or 3 serviceable bodies on good deals at C (Ajinca, Withey, ???), max AD, and spend the rest on various perimeter players that can defend, shoot the 3, penetrate, and distribute.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think the point is, we have bird rights to sign Asik. We won't get a talent of that level with our open space. Therefore, we should sign Asik. Also, if we're trading Asik bc he's expiring we're only going to get value for him for a 1/2 season rental, afterall that's why we'd be selling him. Essentially we would have bought Asik for $1 used him 1/2 a season and sold him back for $.30. That's why i don't think trading him is an option. Just my opinion though.
    You don't trade Asik for a pick, you trade him for a similar impending FA, thereby maintaining bird right value, just on a different player. Imagine a trade that brought back DeMarre Carroll or Gerald Green. You trade him for assets under contract beyond this year to a team that wants to clear salary and/or needs a defensive center for a playoff run. Surely you'd trade him to Blazers if somehow they landed Wilson Chandler and decided Batum was expendable.

All I'm saying is Asik is tradeable. And it wouldn't be a bad thing if there is value to be had. If all you can get is .30 on the dollar, well obviously it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Once again, I have ZERO fear of losing Asik.

I think Dell WANTS to and HAS to resign Asik. To me, that's a classic recipe for an overpay. This franchise needs to be risk averse right now. In my opinion, Asik's talent has not warranted the risk that the market will set his value at something higher than the Pelicans should be paying and Dell will be compelled to pay it.

Asik is a center. Unless that center is a HOF player, centers don't win titles, wings do. We can't invest such a large percentage of our cap in our frontcourt at the expense of our perimeter players. This is what I mean when I say Dell is great at dealing, but horrible at evaluating and construction. I don't believe paying significant dollars to Asik is the best way to build a championship team.

Find a rotation of 2 or 3 serviceable bodies on good deals at C (Ajinca, Withey, ???), max AD, and spend the rest on various perimeter players that can defend, shoot the 3, penetrate, and distribute.
    We have no idea how any of this will work out without knowing what Asik will get. If that is your main concern then this conversation is multiple months too early.

If we were not going to take the "risk" of resigning Asik then we should have never traded for him. Everyone knew what his contract was and what we gave up.

Even going down this hypothetical road where Asik's value is higher than we would like at most we are looking at an "overpay" of 1-2m. This is a completely different situation than what happened with Gordon.

As far as how the team is constructed, you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth, in one post you said you liked the trade for Asik and in the next you say you would build differently. Ok. But how you would build is irrelevant. What we have is what we have. All we can do is evaluate from that point. It's clear this FO wants a defensive big and wants to bring Asik back.

We have no idea how any of this will work out without knowing what Asik will get. If that is your main concern then this conversation is multiple months too early.

If we were not going to take the "risk" of resigning Asik then we should have never traded for him. Everyone knew what his contract was and what we gave up.

Even going down this hypothetical road where Asik's value is higher than we would like at most we are looking at an "overpay" of 1-2m. This is a completely different situation than what happened with Gordon.

As far as how the team is constructed, you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth, in one post you said you liked the trade for Asik and in the next you say you would build differently. Ok. But how you would build is irrelevant. What we have is what we have. All we can do is evaluate from that point. It's clear this FO wants a defensive big and wants to bring Asik back.
    I liked the move for Asik because I think it was worth it to acquire the asset, not necessarily the player. I agree with Dell's valuation of draft picks. I agree with bird in the hand, worth more than 2 possible in the draft.

I don't think this conversation is premature. I'm suggesting that if Dell isn't reaching out to the agent and getting a handle on future contract value now, if not months ago, he's being negligent.

How I, or anyone else, would build this team is very relevant in evaluating how Dell has chosen to build. Unless TB signs Dell to an extension and says this is his guy til the end, whether Dell is building the right way is always relevant!

And how can you be certain we're looking at only a $1-2m overpay at most? You can't. Asik deserve no more than 3yrs $30m, and even that is a bit much. But he very easily could get 4yrs $50m. Hell, DeAndre Jordon got 4 yr $43m four years ago with no new salary cap looming.

I liked the move for Asik because I think it was worth it to acquire the asset, not necessarily the player. I agree with Dell's valuation of draft picks. I agree with bird in the hand, worth more than 2 possible in the draft.

I don't think this conversation is premature. I'm suggesting that if Dell isn't reaching out to the agent and getting a handle on future contract value now, if not months ago, he's being negligent.

How I, or anyone else, would build this team is very relevant in evaluating how Dell has chosen to build. Unless TB signs Dell to an extension and says this is his guy til the end, whether Dell is building the right way is always relevant!

And how can you be certain we're looking at only a $1-2m overpay at most? You can't. Asik deserve no more than 3yrs $30m, and even that is a bit much. But he very easily could get 4yrs $50m. Hell, DeAndre Jordon got 4 yr $43m four years ago with no new salary cap looming.
    What you value Asik at =/= what teams might value him at. That's why this is premature because if centers are getting huge contracts then it's not an overpay, it's the going rate.

What you value Asik at =/= what teams might value him at. That's why this is premature because if centers are getting huge contracts then it's not an overpay, it's the going rate.
    its only the going rate, if you HAVE TO pay it. If Asik is going for $12m or more, Dell will pay it, even if he could get Seraphin for $4m. Because Dell has to pay it. Even if he could trade Ryan Anderson to fill the center need at a better value, Dell won't be able to do it, because he's locked himself into overpaying Asik if he has to.

That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    What about Kevin Martin? Minny needs a PF and has no use for him. We would have a clutter of SG's, but he would be a better fit playing off the ball while Jrue and Tyreke create

Ryno for Kevin and Mo Williams works- http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kty7rvj

Jrue-KMart-QPon-AD-Asik with Tyreke off the bench
    I like the trade but like this lineup better

Jrue-Gordon-Qpon-AD-Asik

Mo/Reke- Kmart- Reke/Cunningham-AD/Ajinca-Ajinca/Asik/Withey

AD can play Pf in both lineups and have a 3 man big rotation with going small ball at one point in the game by playing Jrue-Gordon-Reke-qpon-AD together

Withey gets a couple minutes a game if one of our bugs gets into foul trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hearing that from interview asik is unhappy because of his playing minutes he said he wants to be on the court in the crunch time

its only the going rate, if you HAVE TO pay it. If Asik is going for $12m or more, Dell will pay it, even if he could get Seraphin for $4m. Because Dell has to pay it. Even if he could trade Ryan Anderson to fill the center need at a better value, Dell won't be able to do it, because he's locked himself into overpaying Asik if he has to.

That's a problem.
    That is just your assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatat View Post
    hearing that from interview asik is unhappy because of his playing minutes he said he wants to be on the court in the crunch time
    For real?

If Asik goes for $12 mil (the equivalent of $10 mil this season) I would walk. I don't know who will pay him that much, but seeing the production teams are getting from Lopez, Mosgov, and Splitter, you would be silly to pay him above that range.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I was gonna make a thread but I'll just post here. What about this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kbt3k4f

Houston sends: Terrence Jones, Clint Capela and Papalanikao
    NOP sends Anderson
    Dell needs to make this pitch to Houston..see if they still want Ryno

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    omg kmart and mo willoams for ryno? EFF NO

Bismack Biyombo is someone I never thought I'd type. Possible replacement if he keeps up his recent play.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    he wasn't too happy in Houston either. I think his blatant lack of self-responsibility is concerning to say the least.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnosono View Post
    he wasn't too happy in Houston either. I think his blatant lack of self-responsibility is concerning to say the least.
    Dude seems disinterested on the whole when on the sideline or anything. Looks like a mopey version of Snow White's dopey

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Dude seems disinterested on the whole when on the sideline or anything. Looks like a mopey version of Snow White's dopey
    And his chubby cheeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Lot of centers this offseason and draft, I say you let Asik walk at anything greater than 10.5 per. You can say what you want about the coach but if Asik were this great defender this defense would be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Bismack Biyombo is someone I never thought I'd type. Possible replacement if he keeps up his recent play.
    Believe it or not, dude just turned 22, and he is finally starting to develop, he looks really good. Wouldn't mind signing him this off-season to be our backup center and maybe eventual starting center.

Koufos, Wright, Mozgov, Lopez will soon be paid more
    their contracts will not look as good as now...
    this is how it goes...

3 year 27-32 million for Asik seems good for me

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Lot of centers this offseason and draft, I say you let Asik walk at anything greater than 10.5 per. You can say what you want about the coach but if Asik were this great defender this defense would be a lot better.
    I agree, but would take it further to say that I hope the new GM doesn't resign Asik at a cent over 9 million. That's fair value for a center of his caliber, IMO. If we get a new GM, I want him to start with as clean of a slate as possible. I don't want his first move be overpaying Asik just because the former GM traded a first rounder for him. Offer him what he is worth (8-9m per season) and if he demands more wish him luck and show him to the door.

this dude isnt happy anywhere..i hope he isnt resigned. why the hell would he be on the floor in crunch time
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And on top of that, I have to add: Imagine having this philosophy with all our players. Continuity is a real thing in basketball. Sometimes people act like if you don't make the playoffs, then it is a lost season and you just go into sell mode. If Asik is here for the foreseeable future, who is to say that the next 42 games won't be huge for him in our system, playing with our other core pieces, becoming more of a defensive vocal leader, etc.

At some point, the team can't just look at everybody as an asset. There has to be some continuity, and I am telling you all that Jrue, AD, and Asik are long term pieces in Dell's mind. Not just assets ready to be moved.

agree on the continuity.
    I watched the MAVS/wolves game last night, easily a win for Dallas, but you can see when parsons and even amino went on streaks, the whole bench was up cheering ( in a blow out ) for their teammates. It was genuine and all players.

Pels issue is that we can't catch a break to develop it. I think Dell plays out what he has and sees what the market will do. I don't think we have much demand for Ryno, Asik, or EG that makes sense on our end.

thought it easier to post here, not really a surprise, but don't think anything had been officially stated by the bulls org or GM. Sorry Guru, looks like Bulls going to lock down jimmy, doesn't mean teams won't try and get him or make bulls pay top.

Thread Information