Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1 Month Till The Trade Deadline!!!

Question 1 Month Till The Trade Deadline!!!

My fingers are crossed that Dell has something up his sleeve.

Anybody have any REALISTIC suggestions/ideas/hopes???

realistic? - small trade using Salmons, Babbitt, Withey expiring contracts. maybe packaged with 2nd rd pick
    ideal - package including Gordon without 1st rd pick (till june it is impossible - I mean pick)

and because of the fact that we are fighting for PO it will not be anything big, like Gordon with Ryno as a sweetener

my hope is to get a player who will be available (buyout/waive) in type of. Nate or Jordan F.

based on the trade machine we have also small trade exception (507k, from Russ)
    it might be useful in small movements...

if there will be no trade - we will have 1 (if Wolters stays) or 2 empty roster spots

The second Rubio comes back, I offer Minny Salmons, Withey, and the 2nd for Mo Williams.

If Ajinca keeps playing like this, that is a heck of a 10 man rotation
    @mcnamara247

I don't see any big moves. One like MM suggests makes sense.

If we move i pray it's small. We need some consistency in terms of personele on this team

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If we move i pray it's small. We need some consistency in terms of personele on this team
    I pray we see some consistency in play. Otherwise we may see a big move, whether it be in personnel or coaching.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I pray we see some consistency in play. Otherwise we may see a big move, whether it be in personnel or coaching.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm beating a dead horse... But Asik is an expiring contract.

If we're not 100% sure we want Asik to return, the feeling is mutual, and the price is agreeable... we should be exploring our options as far as trades go. Especially if it looks like we're going to be in 10th place after the All Star break.

Mozgov netted the Nuggets 2 1st round picks. That, IMO, sets the market for Asik.

Why wouldn't the Pels, unless they're in heat of playoff battle, flip Asik for an asset, then try and sign the best value-to-talent ratio center they can this summer?

Asik, the expiring, is only valuable to us after All Star break if we're legitimately in the hunt for 8th seed.

Going to need clear eyes from management come mid February.

Clear eyes. Full heart. Can't lose.

Replace Monty w/ Coach Taylor.

Championship.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I'd still explore a Ryno for Green trade.

Is there any way we could possibly get Tony Wroten?
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

If we're not 100% sure we want Asik to return, the feeling is mutual, and the price is agreeable... we should be exploring our options as far as trades go. Especially if it looks like we're going to be in 10th place after the All Star break.

Mozgov netted the Nuggets 2 1st round picks. That, IMO, sets the market for Asik.

Why wouldn't the Pels, unless they're in heat of playoff battle, flip Asik for an asset, then try and sign the best value-to-talent ratio center they can this summer?

Asik, the expiring, is only valuable to us after All Star break if we're legitimately in the hunt for 8th seed.

Championship.
    Dell would list Asik ahead of Tyreke and Ryno on the "keep" list. I can say this as about as close to fact as I can with anything else given conversations people have had with Dell himself.

Lets not confuse our feelings with Asik with the teams. The people in place right now see him as a long term piece. Now, maybe Monty and Dell are gone in April and it would depend on the next guys, but this regime will not trade Asik.

Championship.
    I guess my question is:

Why would we trade Asik after trading a first for him KNOWING he was an expiring? The logic doesn't line up for me.

Eric Gordon keep shooting 40% from 3. Up that trade value.

I guess my question is:

Why would we trade Asik after trading a first for him KNOWING he was an expiring? The logic doesn't line up for me.
    All contracts eventually end. Good franchises don't fear that they are going to lose guys once the contracts end. They assume the player will want to stay with them. I think our fan base has been scarred by players leaving in the past, so we always want a guy on a 5 yr contract, but I don't think Dell thought that way. He said as much in the first presser. CBA rules prevented the Pels giving him an extension, but I don't think Dell believes there is any chance he gets away.

The Franchise    Contributor   

if you could go back and do a sign and trade last summer for Monroe with that 1st instead of trading it for Asik, would you? Monroe was wanting a max deal, or so he said, I suspect he would have taken less, but knew if he did the Piston's would match. I suspect Monroe will get overpaid this summer - and I hope that we won't overpay too much for Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    All contracts eventually end. Good franchises don't fear that they are going to lose guys once the contracts end. They assume the player will want to stay with them. I think our fan base has been scarred by players leaving in the past, so we always want a guy on a 5 yr contract, but I don't think Dell thought that way. He said as much in the first presser. CBA rules prevented the Pels giving him an extension, but I don't think Dell believes there is any chance he gets away.
    I agree with this.

Dell would list Asik ahead of Tyreke and Ryno on the "keep" list. I can say this as about as close to fact as I can with anything else given conversations people have had with Dell himself.

Lets not confuse our feelings with Asik with the teams. The people in place right now see him as a long term piece. Now, maybe Monty and Dell are gone in April and it would depend on the next guys, but this regime will not trade Asik.
    I can't disagree with you. If you KNOW that's how the org views Asik, then so be it.

Like in many cases, I just don't agree with them.

I'd think their logic and thinking was more rational if Asik was on a longer deal or if Asik was a restricted free agent. Because Asik's agent will go into the offseason knowing they gave up a 1st for him, they'll have zero leverage. In fact, because they gave up a 1st for him, it'll probably cost them slightly more than whatever the market is. If I'm Asik's agent, I'm getting an extra 500k for my client out of this deal because I have Dell Demps in a corner.

All I can say is I hope Dell has a good relationship with Asik and his agent and they know what the cost is this summer.

Let's not forget Asik is essentially getting $6m under the table from Tom Benson. About $3m of which Benson can add back to his estate/pockets if they aren't looking at a playoff spot and trade Asik.

I'd think their logic and thinking was more rational if Asik was on a longer deal or if Asik was a restricted free agent. Because Asik's agent will go into the offseason knowing they gave up a 1st for him, they'll have zero leverage. In fact, because they gave up a 1st for him, it'll probably cost them slightly more than whatever the market is. If I'm Asik's agent, I'm getting an extra 500k for my client out of this deal because I have Dell Demps in a corner.
    The situation is what it is though. You can't change the circumstance. I don't think he has Dell in a corner though.

How would y'all feel about a Sign and Trade, Ryno for Draymond Green, Warriors were rumored to really want Ryno. Then next year when gordon expires use all that cash plus the new TV deal to give us a deep deep bench?
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 01-19-2015 at 11:26 AM.

THIS. IS. THE. PROBLEM.

This is exactly what Dell got himself into with Eric Gordon. I'm not one of this fans who thinks a player will leave. I think NOLA can be on par with South Beach if you're a young millionaire. Food, nightlife, festivals, big events, weather, women... I think more players will want to be here when we start making playoffs.

My problem is that Dell will resign Asik. Because he has to! Which means, almost always, that he'll overpay. He'll overpay for a defensive center coming off a year in which he appears to have regressed defensively and offensively looks as terrible as advertised.

Is this starting to sound familiar.

Go back and read the opinions about how Dell had to match Gordon's offer because of what we gave up to get Gordon.

Dell should trade Asik, get an asset, and then if he really believes based on what he's seen in the first 41 games of this season, that Asik is the ideal center to pair with AD over the next 4 years... He should pursue him his offseason without being handcuffed to him because of the asset he gave up to acquire him.

also like i said a million times, Asik is not the problem, monty is.

I guess my question is:

The logic is, we thought we'd be a playoff team. Paying a guy $6m off books to fill a need makes sense if you're a playoff team. If at the deadline you're not, you recoup your asset, save your owner $3m, and go into the offseason free to engage in the market for players that fit your team, without being obligated to resign anyone, because you gave up a 1st to get them.

Hell, we could go after Asik if we wanted to. But we'd have more leverage.

Right now Dell HAS TO resign Asik. That's not the position I want my GM to be in.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    How would y'all feel about a Sign and Trade, Ryno for Draymond Green, Warriors were rumored to really want Ryno. Then next year when gordon expires use all that cash plus the new TV deal to give us a deep deep bench?
    Where do I sign? Thing is I just can't see Warriors going for that. They are 33-6, why make any moves?

1 Month Till The Trade Deadline!!!

The logic is, we thought we'd be a playoff team. Paying a guy $6m off books to fill a need makes sense if you're a playoff team. If at the deadline you're not, you recoup your asset, save your owner $3m, and go into the offseason free to engage in the market for players that fit your team, without being obligated to resign anyone, because you gave up a 1st to get them.

Hell, we could go after Asik if we wanted to. But we'd have more leverage.

Right now Dell HAS TO resign Asik. That's not the position I want my GM to be in.
    But we aren't free to engage in the market even if Asik is off the books. We would still be right up against the cap meaning we'd only have the MLE and BAE. People greatly undervalue the trade Dell worked out last summer to even get Asik here.

The reasons why we are likely to resign Asik are: 1) He saves AD from taking beatings every night. 2) He is having his best rebounding year ever next to AD and his rim defense has been good (our team defense has been bad). 3) We have his Bird's Rights so we can sign him even though we don't have the cap space to sign other players. 4) There is very little if any benefit to letting him walk when you can lock him up for multiple years before the cap increase. 5) Because of higher yearly raises he has INCENTIVE to sign with us.

In your mind Dell HAS to resign Asik. In our organization's mind they WANT to resign Asik.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-19-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Thread Information