Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ajinca, first in rotation, not Anderson !

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Agree with the premise, but it's been rare at least from what i've seen for Monty to play the guy whos got the hot hand in favor of timed rotations. I could absolutely be wrong on this, and I think Monty is trending in right direction concerning this, but i'd say overall it's not a strategy he evokes often.
    He sure did it last night. (Ajinca over Anderson)

I think people tend to remember the times he took a guard out after he scored 8 straight points, which is probably far more rare than we would like to admit. It's like one of the studies I loved in 'Stumbling on Happiness' that indicated people universally think they have the worst luck in grocery store check out lines. Why? Because they remember with detailed accuracy the couple of times that they got stuck behind the old lady writing a check or the clerk who needed a price check but the hundreds of times they went through without a hiccup are instantly forgot.

I mean, think about how much time we spend on this forum. If Monty does make a mistake like that, we read hundreds of posts about it, but don't read a thing when the rotations are good. That makes it seem like it happens more often than it really does. But I would bet that if we really went back and tracked how many times he sat a "hot hand", it would be in less than 5% of all games. And its almost always Gordon.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He sure did it last night. (Ajinca over Anderson)

I think people tend to remember the times he took a guard out after he scored 8 straight points, which is probably far more rare than we would like to admit. It's like one of the studies I loved in 'Stumbling on Happiness' that indicated people universally think they have the worst luck in grocery store check out lines. Why? Because they remember with detailed accuracy the couple of times that they got stuck behind the old lady writing a check or the clerk who needed a price check but the hundreds of times they went through without a hiccup are instantly forgot.

I mean, think about how much time we spend on this forum. If Monty does make a mistake like that, we read hundreds of posts about it, but don't read a thing when the rotations are good. That makes it seem like it happens more often than it really does. But I would bet that if we really went back and tracked how many times he sat a "hot hand", it would be in less than 5% of all games. And its almost always Gordon.
    I'm not denying that he did it last night. I also said i feel like he's trending in the right direction for this. Just as a whole this hasn't been his M.O. So, not really sure what the tongue lashing is about. I do appreciate your input, but I don't think the 'Full House' life lesson was needed here.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I'm not denying that he did it last night. I also said i feel like he's trending in the right direction for this. Just as a whole this hasn't been his M.O. So, not really sure what the tongue lashing is about. I do appreciate your input, but I don't think the 'Full House' life lesson was needed here.

Wow. You read this so differently than I intended it I guess.

If we were sitting face to face, you wouldn't have felt that way at all. I don't understand how you read it the way you did, but I can't control that. All I know is that my intention was just to point out that human beings tend to remember extremes and not norms, and that we are ALL guilty of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Wow. You read this so differently than I intended it I guess.

If we were sitting face to face, you wouldn't have felt that way at all. I don't understand how you read it the way you did, but I can't control that. All I know is that my intention was just to point out that human beings tend to remember extremes and not norms, and that we are ALL guilty of that.
    I'm not mad, which is why i posted the pic. But I didn't think it applied to this conversation since: 1.) Said it's trending in the right direction and 2.) Said i could be wrong. That's all.. no harm no foul MM. I do agree that people tend to do that, but i felt in this instance i was talking about what i've seen from the totality of his career w the Pels. Wasn't really saying much more or much less.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

I'm not mad, which is why i posted the pic. But I didn't think it applied to this conversation since: 1.) Said it's trending in the right direction and 2.) Said i could be wrong. That's all.. no harm no foul MM. I do agree that people tend to do that, but i felt in this instance i was talking about what i've seen from the totality of his career w the Pels. Wasn't really saying much more or much less.
    Fair enough. I personally cannot recall any times that he pulled the hot hand this year. I know he used to do it a lot with Gordon because Gordon has been on a minute restriction of sorts the past few years and Monty didn't deviate from the pre-game script.

So, back to the original point - my projected minutes - I do think Monty would be open to deciding who to play there (Ajinca or Asik) based off of performance so far in that game. Much like what he has done with our backup guards this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Understand the premise, but disagree with your conclusion ! I dont need 3 pt shooters when I have 2 7 ft wingman who love to shoot 15-18 foot baseline jumpers ! IMO, I have a better chance of consistant scoring this way ! AD & AA guys will have to follow them to the corners ! I HAVE NO concern not having a 3-point shooter at all ! YOU DONT have to have a 3pt shooter to spread the court ! AD on a wing & AA on the other wing 18 ft out ! Whos clogging the lane ? If someone is, then reke dishes for an easy 15-17 fooyrt ! If noone is clogging, then Reke to the rim !
    It's not about just clogging the lane; 3-point shooting is vital to a healthy offense these days, not just for floor spacing, but because the 3 is a much more efficient shot than the 2. The mid-range jump shooting game washed out with the 90s as the meat of any kind of strong offense; you want guys who can do it, but as a change of pace when teams are sticking with shooters outside.

Interesting. I remember saying that AA should be a starter when we were starting Steemer at the C but I'll drink this cup of tea and continue with the current topic. I like Ryan off the bench first personally because Ryan needs to get in a good rotation with good gaurds that will look for him in order to get things going. Sure it hasn't been the case as of yet but would you want Ryan with a bunch of bench guards? Jimmer, New Guy, and Pondexter? No I would rather our shooter be with Reke, Gordan and Jrue. Take Asik out first. That way we can put AA in and 2 min later put Asik back in seeing that they play so well together. I think this sort of play from AA is something we can see more often for him given the chance. He has always had a good mid range shot, he's always had good post moves, he was usually faster than the big gaurding him, he's always had a good soft touch on the drive, etc. He won't score as much as he has on the 2 game stretch but he will be a good offensive weapon when needed.

Thread Information