Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hassan Whiteside

I would sign him for the MLE and keep Asik. It never hurts to have two centers who can play basketball.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Whiteisde with 16 points and 24 rebounds tonight.

is this real life?

I remember last year (or maybe the year prior) during the NBA Finals the commentators were talking about Chris Anderson and how the Heat had been tracking Anderson for years before he finally signed with them.

I only mention that because, never give up on the desire to sign him. One day it just might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Im still trying to figure out if he is a UFA or not, some sites say yes, some say no. But if we could get him for the MLE I would do it in a heartbeat and let Asik walk.
    He's not. Miami has a team option for next year.

Im still trying to figure out if he is a UFA or not, some sites say yes, some say no. But if we could get him for the MLE I would do it in a heartbeat and let Asik walk.
    IF he even keeps up near his play no way the mid level gets him. He's still young and playing at an elite level right now. If he stays this way he is considered a top 5 big man and that does not come cheap. With the way he is playing I would only want one other player besides him next to AD and that is Marc Gasol. I think AD and Whiteside would be the best blocking duo in NBA history and would be one scary duo. I would pay him over Asik with no questions.

This kid is gonna get a fat paycheck this summer.

He'll have honeys on his jock from miami to vegas. Rare to see a guy go from no one would touch him with 10foot pole to maybe hottest commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's not. Miami has a team option for next year.
    My understanding is that they have the option to give him a QO, making him a RFA next summer, but they will be in a weird situation because they technically couldn't match all offers since they will be over the cap and they don't have his Bird Rights. So, if someone gives him more than the MLE, Miami can't match.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My understanding is that they have the option to give him a QO, making him a RFA next summer, but they will be in a weird situation because they technically couldn't match all offers since they will be over the cap and they don't have his Bird Rights. So, if someone gives him more than the MLE, Miami can't match.
    So in other words we can't get him?
    There you go hornet guru another one of your dreams shattered.

This guy is the latest John Amichi/Ike Austin. Started from the bottom, got bounced, came back to have a spurt where people thought he was invaluable, the thing is both of those guys crapped out after their big pay day, even more oddly enough, Ike Austin did it backing up Zo with the Heat.

Will history repeat itself?

Maybe so. I checked a month or so back and just saw listed Miami had a 2nd year option assumed it was a full year.

Rechecked just now and as you said, it's an offer to make him a RFA but without birds rights he could definitely be snipped if a team is willing to pay the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This guy is the latest John Amichi/Ike Austin. Started from the bottom, got bounced, came back to have a spurt where people thought he was invaluable, the thing is both of those guys crapped out after their big pay day, even more oddly enough, Ike Austin did it backing up Zo with the Heat.

Will history repeat itself?
    I was thinking of ben wallace to be honest. Not that they are similar or anything but heh, position is the same

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would sign him for the MLE and keep Asik. It never hurts to have two centers who can play basketball.
    I would offer him 17 mil over 3 yrs and release Asik. Then resign Ajinca & Cunningham and go after Mo Williams.

Well I have gotten a chance to see a few of the Heats games the last few weeks, and I have been really impressed. Him and Davis together would definitely be a pretty impressive rim protector combo. He just has incredibly long arms and really good instincts on defense. If he keeps this play up the entire season, I agree with mrsaints and offer him that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaints View Post
    I would offer him 17 mil over 3 yrs and release Asik. Then resign Ajinca & Cunningham and go after Mo Williams.
    He is going to laugh at 17 million. He keeps this production up from January and he is gonna be getting 12 million plus a year. Someone might even give him a max. 67% 13pts, 10.6reb, 3.4blks in January and is currently at 20 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Maybe so. I checked a month or so back and just saw listed Miami had a 2nd year option assumed it was a full year.

Rechecked just now and as you said, it's an offer to make him a RFA but without birds rights he could definitely be snipped if a team is willing to pay the cash.
    I told u and Aussie this like 17 times and no one listens lmao.

Through 20 games this year, his per 36 is 17.5 points, 15.5 rebounds, 4.8 blocks

Soooooo I say we go after Whiteside first, him and AD have a little talk, like yo, we can lead the league in rebounds dunks and blocks and make Griffin and Deandre look like trash, u down?

Don't resign Asik, throw everything u got at Whiteside, if he declines, and someone else has signed Asik, go after Koufas.

Go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So in other words we can't get him?
    There you go hornet guru another one of your dreams shattered.
    No it isn't u don't resign Asik and throw him that money, if that doesn't work u can stretch gordon and have plenty. Sorry, no dreams shattered yet.

Ajinca > Asik

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Don't resign Asik, throw everything u got at Whiteside, if he declines, and someone else has signed Asik, go after Koufas.

Go big or go home.
    I totally agree about Whiteside. Love your thinking, He is so much better offensively than Asik its not even funny. After having watched his last 4 games, I am really impressed with him. Just get him and Davis in a room after the season and say lets join forces.

We will have two chances this month to see Whiteside vs. Asik. I am looking forward to seeing them head to head

We will have two chances this month to see Whiteside vs. Asik. I am looking forward to seeing them head to head
    lol oh boy I am not.

Heres my question for anyone that has gotten to watch him more then me, how is his actual defense? I see his D-rating isn't too hot but that can be a product of a system or team sometimes. I know he gets blocks but how is looking as a guy holding down the paint or knowing when to help, staying lateral on contests etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Heres my question for anyone that has gotten to watch him more then me, how is his actual defense? I see his D-rating isn't too hot but that can be a product of a system or team sometimes. I know he gets blocks but how is looking as a guy holding down the paint or knowing when to help, staying lateral on contests etc.?
    U don't consider a 95 defensive rating good? I think thats #1 in the league actually.

Thread Information