Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Nate Wolters close to signing 10 day deal with Pelicans

We were in need of another PG anyway after giving up both Russ and Austin, and now that Jrue has an ankle injury I think Nate will get his opportunities to see the floor in N.O.

You can't teach "scorer"... he knows how to put the ball in the hoop he just needs to remain confident and attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Fan View Post
    Glad that you guys have given Nate a shot. I hope he will be able to stick. For whatever reason, he never impressed Kidd in Milwaukee and could never crack that rotation. His biggest issue there was he was used as a SG almost exclusively except in 3 guard sets where he would play a small forward role. Nates experience is at a PG and hopefully that is where they will use him.

Nate is a gym rat so he will work hard to impress. When he went too pre-draft camp he chose to change his stroke to give it a higher release. He started out very slowly with the three ball as a rookie but did improve to over 40 percent the second half of last year on limited attempts. At the end on last year he broke his hand and that has also set his shooting back some. Right now I think it is a confidence issue.

Not great speed in defense, but very good BBIQ, understands positioning and angles. On offense he is a willing passer, sometimes too much so. Is a pretty good finisher who favors a floater in the lane and understands the PNR. He takes care of the ball and has great handles.

Hope he gets a chance before his 10 days are up, although I think I will scream if he is put in as a 2 behind Jimmer at point!
    if we do sign him, can we expect jammer v nate battles on the board?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    We did sign him.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What's his BBIQ like?
    Mmmmmmm BBIQ!

My name is Nate.....

...so I will hold him in the highest regard.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think he is a legit NBA player. Instantly becomes out best guard finisher at the rim, but I was expecting them to target a different skill set with Tyreke dominating the ball so much.

Anyway, here is the best highlight video of him out there. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxelO86YMs
    Kid looks like he has better handles than Rivers.
    Also a willing passer.
    And since they were starting him, he's probably got the confidence to come in and contribute right away.

And 4:00 of highlights for a ROOKIE season? Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We did sign him.
    I wouldn't really call a 10 day contract a signing, its a try out. I was more referring to a season long contract sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Mmmmmmm BBIQ!

Haha I always think BBQ when I see BBIQ

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Kid looks like he has better handles than Rivers.
    Also a willing passer.
    And since they were starting him, he's probably got the confidence to come in and contribute right away.

And 4:00 of highlights for a ROOKIE season? Nice.
    This kids got a pretty decent running floater, which is big upgrade over what rivers was bringing.

And whats the story with Jrue, any updates? And do you think Nate get more minutes than Jimmer tonight?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I wouldn't really call a 10 day contract a signing, its a try out. I was more referring to a season long contract sorry.
    OK you meant long term, sorry. Thought you meant didn't know if he would be on team.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 01-14-2015 at 09:31 AM.

I'm from South Dakota where Nate played his college ball and the kid was an amazing college player and scorer. I have confidence that he can be a good to great backup PG in this league.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

I already like the Woltettes better than the Jimmettes! Being realistic is refreshing in a fan of a player. I hope he can stick around. We can use the guard depth.

Oh also don't worry I have to assume either Jimmer or QPon will play SG instead of Wolter. His skill is having the ball in his hands. Being able to drive and dish to Jimmer on a corner will work just fine. And if we are worried about defense we can move QPon to the 2 and he can guard the better of the guards on the court.

When I was reading DraftExpress about him his shot was said to be weird but quick and it worked. I was very confused by his lacking numbers from 3. Thanks for explaining that he changed his shot and broke his hand. Makes sense now what is going on. One bit of good news is even with his poor shooting from 3pt his corner 3 was still solid at 44% last year.

I think MM summed it up best on Twitter last night when he said it's time someone from Within Stepped Up. I agree. I think we have to look at the guys on our team now and get one of them to show some growth.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    This kids got a pretty decent running floater, which is big upgrade over what rivers was bringing.

And whats the story with Jrue, any updates? And do you think Nate get more minutes than Jimmer tonight?
    Just keep hearing Jrue is "questionable".

I think Nate/Jimmer play together off bench with Tyreke getting 40+ minutes for the game.

I look forward to the Jimmer Wolters combo. Both "can" shoot, so if they just pass it among themselves one of them will have a nice game.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He can't be that good. He's so cheap on NBA 2k15 MyTeam. Not sold.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Signing Nate Wolters is like having our own BBBIQ party.

The extra B stands for BYOBBBIQ

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    OK you meant long term, sorry. Thought you meant didn't know if he would be on team.
    All good, lets hope he steps up during the time and shows us some good stuff.

Wolters isn't the shooter y'all think he is, but I'm still weirdly excited for him.

I think he should take all Jimmers minutes unless jimmer starts hitting from the. 3 at a better clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Signing Nate Wolters is like having our own BBBIQ party.

The extra B stands for BYOBBBIQ

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    good god mike james is still playing lol

That is so unreal!!!!

Anyways, Mekel can't hold Nate Wolters' jock. ya heard me

Nate Wolt

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    It's just a little airborne!

It's still good! It's still good!

Thread Information