Pelicans Report

Thread: A Question on Coaching

A Question on Coaching

What would you say are the telltale signs of a poorly coached team, just in general? Any sport any level, just when you see a team play, what would make you say or think that it is a poorly coached team?
    never assume

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    When a head coach admits 4 years in that he has trouble getting his team to play right every night.

ok 1) inability to motivate your players on a game by game basis
    Last edited by jgman; 01-13-2015 at 01:57 AM.

I'll put in 2) inability to implement an effective defensive system over the course of 4 years and 3) inability to game plan offensively on a game to game basis down as well

If you see this, you just know.

Lol, it was going to be done sooner or later, might as well get it out of the way early.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Horrible road team
    Playing down to the level of competiton

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Just about every player that comes to the Pels from another team performs worse on defense here than they did with the other team.

Monty is supposedly a defensive coach, but we have one of the worst defenses in the NBA, despite having Jrue, Tyreke, Eric, AD, Cunningham and Asik (6 guys that at least have the physical ability to defend their positions well)

And to this day I remember Adrian Wojnarwhateveritis tweeted "feel so bad for a good coach like monty Williams get stuck with coaching the hornets" lol

Quote Originally Posted by al m337 View Post
    And to this day I remember Adrian Wojnarwhateveritis tweeted "feel so bad for a good coach like monty Williams get stuck with coaching the hornets" lol
    lol really? I wish someone saved that

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbunch View Post
    Just about every player that comes to the Pels from another team performs worse on defense here than they did with the other team.

Monty is supposedly a defensive coach, but we have one of the worst defenses in the NBA, despite having Jrue, Tyreke, Eric, AD, Cunningham and Asik (6 guys that at least have the physical ability to defend their positions well)
    But in all actually, he's a top 10 offensive coach right? And every player from other teams play better on offense here, right?

Plenty of arguments against the man, this one doesn't really work.

Any why isn't this just in the fire monty thread if that's all its for?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    But in all actually, he's a top 10 offensive coach right? And every player from other teams play better on offense here, right?

Plenty of arguments against the man, this one doesn't really work.
    uh top ten offensive coach? based on what? one year ranked in the top ten in offensive rating? and does that even matter if we have a net negative rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Any why isn't this just in the fire monty thread if that's all its for?
    I'm specifically looking (or was originally looking) for what people see in team's performances that make them think the team is poorly coached, not really saying fire monty or anything

Banned
    Most coaches don't have Reke.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    uh top ten offensive coach? based on what? one year ranked in the top ten in offensive rating? and does that even matter if we have a net negative rating?

One of my biggest pet peeves is the statement "monty is a supposed to be a defensive guy." First, every coach says they need defense, Dantoni didn't go up and say "our players shouldn't waste any energy guarding their men" even if he thought it.. second, Monty was known as a defensive guy based on his job with portland as Nate Macmillan assistant, so when everyone says that, they really mean that they thought he was going to be Nate 2.0.

I was being snarky, but I do believe that if you're going to chastise him for bad D with awful rosters, you have to praise him for good O with his best one. His offensive sets are sophisticated and effective, and we are efficient on the whole. The real problem people have is that he's influenced by his era of basketball (the one I watched growing up). Most peoples' problems with Monty lie in his decision making during the final minutes of games, where he tends to ISO.... but we don't have the proper scorer for that philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    I'm specifically looking (or was originally looking) for what people see in team's performances that make them think the team is poorly coached, not really saying fire monty or anything
    I respect that, it just went Riiiight where I would've expected.

Many of the things above (sarcastic or not) are true. Some of them have more to do with chemistry than bad coaching.

Bad Coaching:
    Turnovers (We're good at that normally)
    Lack of Defensive Effort
    Lack of overall effort
    Simplistic/ineffective sets
    Poor rotations
    Hero ball
    Players surpass expectations elsewhere
    Coaches Son Syndrome (Favoritism)
    Apathy (Don't care if we win or lose)
    Players don't get better

Bad Chemistry:
    Inconsistency
    Lack of Team Defense/D Rotations
    Lack of passing/Ball movement
    Lack of Execution
    Missing open shots/players
    Overpassing
    Uncomfortable pecking order for shots

There's more, but that's a basic list.

Monty's good at some, bad at some. The team WILL play better with time and consistency in roster though, that's a bonefide guarantee.

Thread Information