Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: Pelicans vs. Celtics

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    They are more talented but much more? That's debatable. On paper we have 3 top tier guards and 3 top tier bigs. One of which is the 3rd best player in the game. Furthermore, like I said, Thibs has proven through his career that he can win much more, with much less then monty has. So a guy like Thibs has earned his pass when occassionaly slipping up.

But feel free to explain why Monty and company continue to get a pass for the types of performances we are seeing from his teams?
    You don't have 3 top tier guards and you don't have 3 top tier bigs. That is just myopic. You have a 21 year old that is very talented but bigs don't usually learn how to win for a few years and then you have a bunch of players that are slightly above average for their position. Almost all of them have some glaring weakness in their game. Reke can't shoot and hasn't shown the ability to make the right play consistently in his career. Gordon is always hurt, AD can't score in the post and gets pushed around on post defense, Asik doesn't run well and doesn't have a very refined offensive game, Anderson isn't strong enough to defend post players or rebound and he has almost no inside game. Jrue is a solid player but given his position is the deepest in the league he isn't outstanding.

You have some players that are good players, players that do one or two things well. Players that can look like all stars but can also look like they don't belong on the floor all in the same game. This isn't just on the coach, the players just aren't as good as some of the fan base seems to think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    You don't have 3 top tier guards and you don't have 3 top tier bigs. That is just myopic. You have a 21 year old that is very talented but bigs don't usually learn how to win for a few years and then you have a bunch of players that are slightly above average for their position. Almost all of them have some glaring weakness in their game. Reke can't shoot and hasn't shown the ability to make the right play consistently in his career. Gordon is always hurt, AD can't score in the post and gets pushed around on post defense, Asik doesn't run well and doesn't have a very refined offensive game, Anderson isn't strong enough to defend post players or rebound and he has almost no inside game. Jrue is a solid player but given his position is the deepest in the league he isn't outstanding.

You have some players that are good players, players that do one or two things well. Players that can look like all stars but can also look like they don't belong on the floor all in the same game. This isn't just on the coach, the players just aren't as good as some of the fan base seems to think they are.
    It's a shame that the most realistic outlook on our team comes from a non-Pels fan. This account of our team is dead on.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I think the real problem was that the team didn't realize how much Rivers contributed on a nightly basis.

Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post

We can debate just how good each of those players are but that isn't the point of the conversation now is it?

A team with our talent, shouldn't be losing the way it is. Not to the teams we continue to lose to. If you have the fire power to beat teams like Memphis, Phoenix and Houston, you shouldn't be losing to teams like the celtics on three days rest.

Someone countered that the Bulls have shock losses too. The difference is thins has earned his pass by winning more with less. Proven to get the best out of guys. Neither of which is something monty can claim. So he doesn't deserve the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    No devolve. A comment was made saying Jimmer being taken out was the reason why we lost. And we were winning with him in.. I'm hoping they were being sarcastic.
    Jimmer's shooting was obviously not happening, but he got to the line 3 times and converted 5 of 6... so it sort of balances out. Jimmer didn't keep us in the game, but he can play point better than Gordon.

The story of this game is (1) Jrue going down... (2) Back up PG doing a decent job in his 12 minutes (team up 6).... (3) combination of Gordon and Reke in crunch time not being able to close out a game.... 14 point swing.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I think the real problem was that the team didn't realize how much Rivers contributed on a nightly basis.

Sarcasm
    ...all I know is it is time for change. This crap needs to stop. I disagree that we aren't talented enough to be in the 6-8 seeds. We def are.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    Jimmer was playing too good with Davis...Monty will have no part of that. Pelicans up 6 when Jimmer leaves in the 4th with a clear chemistry brewing with him and Davis. Jimmer leaves, Pelicans down in a matter of moments.

Story of Jimmer's career.
    I actually agree with this. Jimmer seems to have the most common sense on this team when AD is on the floor.

Blow up the core and keep Monty or Fire Monty.. This is what its coming too.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I actually agree with this. Jimmer seems to have the most common sense on this team when AD is on the floor.

Blow up the core and keep Monty or Fire Monty.. This is what its coming too.
    I can't lie. I'd rather Jimmer running the point with AD on the floor rather than reke. I'm tired of watching him pound the rock for 15 sec and then Davis runs over for a screen and reke just dribbles it back out instead of going with the play and passing it. Sick of it. Jimmer makes a conscience effort every time down the court to try and find Davis off the pnr.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    It's a shame that the most realistic outlook on our team comes from a non-Pels fan. This account of our team is dead on.
    No its not at all. Anderson does have an inside game. That's what he did in college and still goes down low from time to time with excellent footwork. He just isn't used there often because he can shoot the 3 and bust a game open at any given moment. AD may not have a classic post game yet, but he produces nonetheless. No player is perfect in all facets. If you are going to pick on Gordon's game, to mention he's always hurt when he is not currently hurt makes no sense. It would be better to point out defensively he has been poor, and offensively can take himself out of a game.

You don't need 5 certified all stars to win. This team has more than enough talent to compete and beat any team in the league. The main problems with this squad right now are strictly from the neck up.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-13-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    We can debate just how good each of those players are but that isn't the point of the conversation now is it?

A team with our talent, shouldn't be losing the way it is. Not to the teams we continue to lose to. If you have the fire power to beat teams like Memphis, Phoenix and Houston, you shouldn't be losing to teams like the celtics on three days rest.

Someone countered that the Bulls have shock losses too. The difference is thins has earned his pass by winning more with less. Proven to get the best out of guys. Neither of which is something monty can claim. So he doesn't deserve the pass.
    I mean we beat them every team is beatable. How do you know that things just went our way? They had an off day and we had a good they. Just like the Boston game, they were just on.
    Last edited by tyler; 01-13-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    After settling down a bit I am realizing a few things:

1. Boston had a horseshoe in their rear and they had some guys getting bumped up the pecking order with the Green trade that wanted to impress and a guy in Jae Crowder pissed and wanting to prove himself.

2. With number 1 being said and us being on the road, this was a trap game for sure.

3. Jrue (I can't believe the hate for this guy on here) getting hurt killed us.

4. Ryno is not being used correctly. He was asked to do something last night we all know he cannot do. Why are we surprised he couldn't?

5. Asik has been a disappointment but it's still early in his time with us.

6. Did any of us really expect anything this season? I think we are going to be around for the 8 seed all season but I never really expected anymore than that. As frustrating as last night was, I am more interested in the set up for next season and beyond. Can we get a move done to help us in that regard. In the mean time, we are going to be watching an inconsistent fringe .500 team. We should all probably get used to it.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Boston took 13 more shots than us. We had 18 TOs on the game and 7 more than Boston.

Had Boston shot like they did in the 2nd half all game this would have been a blow out for them.

People can point to the fluke plays and the luck Boston had but they were due some after shooting awful in the 1st half while really dominating us.

The simple truth is, we didn't come ready to play. We started off terrible and allowed a bad team to stick around until they could hit a couple fluke shots and win the game.

We can say that it's on the players because they missed shots and turned the ball over and blah blah blah but at some point it has to fall on Monty to get these guys motivated to play. If the team continually comes out flat and plays down to competition you have to eventually start looking at the coaching.

People say it's a young team and that's a fine argument but we do have AD on year 3 and the rest of our core with 5+ years in this league. We also have guys now with multiple years in Monty's system.

I'm not one to put everything on the coach. Our players have a responsibility to carry some of the fault as well. But at some point you have to look at the coach and say either he figures out how to get our guys to produce on the road or we look for someone who can.

Thread Information