Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Q-Pon Back To New Orleans?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Just curious, how have you been telling us this for two years when you've been on this forum for 8 months? Serious question, not trying to be a *******.

All the rumors we've heard lately are making me very nervous. First replacing Monty and Demps with Avery and Dumars. Now trading Russ or Rivers for Q-Pon. I would hate all of these moves. Why would we want Q-Pon? He's having a bad year. We already have a better backup SF in Cunningham. We lose flexibility in the off-season with this move. I'm really high on Russ and his potential. I don't want Q-Pon, Avery or Dumars to be part of this franchise.
    Previously with a different account.

Pierre Jackson -----> Russ Smith.

Russ + Cap space --------> Q-Pon

The path seems like improvement to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

It's been said countless times, in 5 years in the league Q-Pon has had 1 decent season. I would like to know why David views him as an asset? He seems to be a liability. I don't get his optimism on this trade at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Just curious, how have you been telling us this for two years when you've been on this forum for 8 months? Serious question, not trying to be a *******.

All the rumors we've heard lately are making me very nervous. First replacing Monty and Demps with Avery and Dumars. Now trading Russ or Rivers for Q-Pon. I would hate all of these moves. Why would we want Q-Pon? He's having a bad year. We already have a better backup SF in Cunningham. We lose flexibility in the off-season with this move. I'm really high on Russ and his potential. I don't want Q-Pon, Avery or Dumars to be part of this franchise.
    Previously with a different account. I could go back to all the trades, I'm just from the Ainge, Morrey school of GMing, assets and value matter. You can't lose every trade on paper and be competitive longterm. I bet Dell has a hard time making moves around the league because all these GMs think they can fleece him, and so he never gets good offers. I bet people were trying to dump bad contracts on us for tyreke

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Previously with a different account. I could go back to all the trades, I'm just from the Ainge, Morrey school of GMing, assets and value matter. You can't lose every trade on paper and be competitive longterm. I bet Dell has a hard time making moves around the league because all these GMs think they can fleece him, and so he never gets good offers. I bet people were trying to dump bad contracts on us for tyreke
    Clearly was not Dell Demps best offer

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Yea great let's trade QPon for Derron Williams and call it a day.

Well, there;s a few members of the forum that'd be happy with that.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

And next year? Going after Q-pon for 4 years on 3.5 million is a risk, you get stuck with a 3.5 million bench warmer that could be the difference between signing a big player and missing him in the future.

What is the long term play here? Qpon isn't going to be a starter and I like Cunningham in the back up SF role long term better then Q-pon. So where does he fit in after this season assuming we acquire a full time starting SF?

Yea great let's trade QPon for Derron Williams and call it a day.
    Then we could expect a coaching change soon after.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 01-09-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    And next year? Going after Q-pon for 4 years on 3.5 million is a risk, you get stuck with a 3.5 million bench warmer that could be the difference between signing a big player and missing him in the future.

What is the long term play here? Qpon isn't going to be a starter and I like Cunningham in the back up SF role long term better then Q-pon. So where does he fit in after this season assuming we acquire a full time starting SF?
    Your analysis relies on the fact that we get a big player at the 3 instead with out space, which we don't have much of. I don't know if that's a fair premise to dismiss this trade completely. Flexibility doesn't make shots or play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Clearly was not Dell Demps best offer
    Anybody interested in Beno Udrih?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Your analysis relies on the fact that we get a big player at the 3 instead with out space, which we don't have much of. I don't know if that's a fair premise to dismiss this trade completely. Flexibility doesn't make shots or play defense.
    Im questioning the long term value of acquiring a 3.5 million dollar backup SF on a four year contract when we seemingly already have that guy in Cunningham. The notion that it may stand in the way of an acquisition in the future is just a side point.

Are you one of those that think he got fleeced on the Jrue deal?

3.5 will be nothing in a season or 2. Rivers makes 7-800,000 less.

And if you are worried about cap space this offseason, we will most likely be better off heading into it with no space, then we get the MLE.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Anybody interested in Beno Udrih?
    iamQuailman liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Yea the way I see it is this move probably mean Dell is planning on being over the cap next season, which makes this trade look better in a vacuum, but this isn't the core in my opinion.

Im questioning the long term value of acquiring a 3.5 million dollar backup SF on a four year contract when we seemingly already have that guy in Cunningham.
    Dante could easily play PF and Q-pon can play the 2.

With the cap rising,it basically becomes chump change later. This also opened up 2 roster spots.

i remember in 2013 people were wishing we still had q-pon

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Dante could easily play PF and Q-pon can play the 2.

With the cap rising,it basically becomes chump change later. This also opened up 2 roster spots.
    And what are you doing with Ryno in this supposed Qpon at the 3, Cunningham at the 4 lineup?

The Franchise
    I believe he is better defensively than Babbit and better offensively than Cunningham. I hope he comes in and plays like he did a couple years ago but I believe this is a move to get a more expensive player. We can now trade him for a player closer to 5 million and if you throw in rivers maybe a player around 8 million (Wilson Chandler maybe). I'm just not sure you can trade Qpon and another player unless he has been on your team 2 months its the same as wright with the celtics. Another thing is there are a lot of teams looking for SF we could be flipping him. Just keep an open mind folks anything could happen.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I believe he is better defensively than Babbit and better offensively than Cunningham. I hope he comes in and plays like he did a couple years ago but I believe this is a move to get a more expensive player. We can now trade him for a player closer to 5 million and if you throw in rivers maybe a player around 8 million (Wilson Chandler maybe). I'm just not sure you can trade Qpon and another player unless he has been on your team 2 months its the same as wright with the celtics. Another thing is there are a lot of teams looking for SF we could be flipping him. Just keep an open mind folks anything could happen.
    Stats don't bear this out though. And he is a poor rebounder. Furthermore his biggest criticism in Memphis is his decision making and IQ. Something Cunningham seemingly has in spades.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/Beyondth...nge-of-scenery

I dont hate Q-pon, I think he is better then he has played this season, I just don't see the point long term and am still wanting to hear someone sell me on where he fits in with us moving forward after this season?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-09-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Are you one of those that think he got fleeced on the Jrue deal?
    Yea... Jrue isn't worth 2 lottery picks and cap space, regardless of how the picks turned out. I mean yes we could have taken Burke and Payton or something bad, but we also could have taken Gianni's or Schroder, leveraged those picks until this year. Imagine if we'd just offered Teague Jrue's deal, we could use those lotto picks to get a sf this year. Not trying to start a debate I just think value and wisely using your cap space is very important. I mean look at the Saints for example, mortgaged their future on win now bets and got screwed.

Im questioning the long term value of acquiring a 3.5 million dollar backup SF on a four year contract when we seemingly already have that guy in Cunningham. The notion that it may stand in the way of an acquisition in the future is just a side point.
    We don't have Cunningham locked up though. We also are paper thin at SF. Cunningham is also more of a 4 than a 3. This move gives us bench depth at a position we came into the season having no one at basically.

This summer Babbitt is an UFA and Cunningham is as well. Yes we might be able to bring them back, but what if someone offers them more than we can like what happened with Morrow?

Pondexter gives us a 2/3 without eating up either exception this summer. We can still offer Cunningham the BAE and he can be a 3/4 for us. Babbitt we have Early bird rights on as well as Ajinca. We have decisions to make and run the risk of losing what precious depth we have.

If we can bring both back awesome. It means we go into next season with our only hole being backup PG (as of now). We also have multiple players that can play different positions incase of injury.

At 3.5m/yr he is an easy contract to bundle and move later as well. It is basically what the BAE will be after the cap spike.

It does take away a little of our flexibility but odds were very high we weren't going to have any anyway.

If Qpon comes in and plays average defense and posts a true shooting percentage of .530 I'll eat crow, but I don't think it'll happen.

Thread Information