Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 44 wins

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Also, Avery Johnson and Joe Dumars scare me

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They did help players progress - and then those guys went elsewhere.

Marco was nearly out of the league and we resurrected his career. Went elsewhere.

R. Lopez was unwanted when we got him - did not get a single offer on the FA market, and PHX gave us to him for scraps.

Vasquez developed here. Jason Smith did as well. Anthony Morrow resurrected his career. AD has grown much faster than anyone expected as well. Brian Roberts and Ayon went from being guys not even in the NBA to guys who were coveted after we helped develop them. I am sure I am missing a few more too.

The player development in Monty's tenure, I would say, is well above average
    So, with all of that being said.

What does it mean when the coach can improve the individual players, but not his team?

At this point, you cannot be scared of change. Successful people ARE NOT SCARED OF CHANGE.

We know what we have with Monty. We will win 4 games and lose 6 games. This is what he is. Now, with an actual TALENTED and HEALTHY roster, he has moved up to 5 wins and 5 losses per 10 games - what an improvement right?

I am not scared of change. Could we end up in a worse situation? of course... could we end up in a better situation? obviously that is the goal.

Sometimes the grass IS ACTUALLY GREENER, sometimes it is not. The only way to find out is to jump over that fence.

Im tired of living in this brown grass, lets jump the fence guys. While statistically it MAY GET WORSE, chances are highly unlikely.

Looking back on it we probably rushed the rebuild way too quickly. I wouldn't say the Ryno and Jrue acquisitions are terrible, but we hamstrung ourselves financially by handing out big contracts a little too early. Monty is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach and so is his squad. Unless we had a perfect balance of veterans and young talent, we didn't have much chance of making it far with the youth of our team and coaching staff.

I'm not sure what I think of this "time" argument, like it invariably takes years and years and years to build a contender. Not so. Certainly by year three of a rebuild it's fair to have some expectations. As I've noted elsewhere, the Suns went from 25 wins to 48 wins in a single season, without the benefit of a franchise big man. The Thunder went from 23 wins to 50 wins in a single season (KD's third year) after replacing their coach. It doesn't always take young teams years and years to become competitive. And I think that's all Pels' fans are after. If, like the Suns, we were 22-16 at this point and challenging for a playoff spot, I'd be content. Maybe we turn it on the second half of the year, we've shown flashes. I don't favor firing anyone midseason, barring a melt down. But I think at this stage of the game it is fair to expect this franchise, with Davis, to have a winning record and push for a playoff spot.

The end of this month does it for me. If this team is still struggling around. 500 or even below it, I'm done with this current coaching leadership.

A winning streak has to come with this healthy roster THIS month. I can't think of any other excuses for it not to.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Looking back on it we probably rushed the rebuild way too quickly. I wouldn't say the Ryno and Jrue acquisitions are terrible, but we hamstrung ourselves financially by handing out big contracts a little too early. Monty is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach and so is his squad. Unless we had a perfect balance of veterans and young talent, we didn't have much chance of making it far with the youth of our team and coaching staff.
    ryno is on one of the best contracts on the league, he's a legit 20ppg scorer making 8 million lol.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Last year this team won 34 games. If this team gets to 44 wins, a 10 game improvement and 6 games above .500, do you still fire Monty?

What does Monty have to do to keep his job at the end of the season?

What are legitimate expectations for this year considering the current limitations of the roster?
    1. No.
    2. Go above .500 and show progress in regards to team chemistry and defense
    3. legitimately? 9th seed in the west.

The real question is: "Does Dell fire Monty before Dell gets fired?"

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    ryno is on one of the best contracts on the league, he's a legit 20ppg scorer making 8 million lol.
    This. If Davis could play center, we wouldn't be questioning The Rhyno.
    It comes down to them both being PF.

If Davis continues to grow to 7 feet and packs on even more muscle, the discussion will be around moving Asik.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    His scoring and salary is why he is tradeable. Before this year I was 100% against it. But I think this year might be the best time to "sell" Ryno stock. His isn't an expiring this year so he he's under contract until 2016 but it's not that long term. I don't think his value will ever get much higher. If we could trade Ryno for a legit SF you would be against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    So, with all of that being said.

What does it mean when the coach can improve the individual players, but not his team?At this point, you cannot be scared of change. Successful people ARE NOT SCARED OF CHANGE.

We know what we have with Monty. We will win 4 games and lose 6 games. This is what he is. Now, with an actual TALENTED and HEALTHY roster, he has moved up to 5 wins and 5 losses per 10 games - what an improvement right?

I am not scared of change. Could we end up in a worse situation? of course... could we end up in a better situation? obviously that is the goal.

Sometimes the grass IS ACTUALLY GREENER, sometimes it is not. The only way to find out is to jump over that fence.

Im tired of living in this brown grass, lets jump the fence guys. While statistically it MAY GET WORSE, chances are highly unlikely.
    In Williams' defense everybody not named Davis of the players MM listed are on other teams right now. So all of Monty's hard work has been wasted so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I agree with MM that this is year 3, and I think the logic that follows is a pretty good way of looking at our situation. I, like others have a hard time being patient sometimes, but patience is necessary.
    Patience is fine when a team can control it's core players rights for a long time. Asik is a UFA this year, Anderson the next, then Evans and Holiday the year after that. 4 of our core players (not counting Gordon) we have control over less than 2.5 years. Time is not on our side.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-09-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    His scoring and salary is why he is tradeable. Before this year I was 100% against it. But I think this year might be the best time to "sell" Ryno stock. His isn't an expiring this year so he he's under contract until 2016 but it's not that long term. I don't think his value will ever get much higher. If we could trade Ryno for a legit SF you would be against it?
    Regardless of who our coaches are and regardless of what we do when we are free from Eric Gordon's salary, we will make our most strides when we flip Ryno and Tyreke for true two way role players. I agree with your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And yet, for every 20 Fire Monty threads around here, there is only 1 Fire Dell thread - and the ratio might even be more lopsided than that.

Not saying I am pounding the desk for Dell to go, but as I have said before, if I could only upgrade 1 (the roster or the coach), I would choose the roster.
    If you went by post, if say it's closer to 50-1. Hell 100-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I don't care if the guy yells like a lunatic or not but our team does not play disciplined. Pops, Rivers, Carlisle... Those guys don't have to yell. They set the tone.

From my fan perspective, it appears we don't have a tone. It's a free for all. I think the chemistry is bad between both the players and coaches. Too much "everything will work itself out " mentality.

Now am i qualified to say that's 100% accurate? Nope. This is what i see from a fans perspective and it looks like the same thing is happening with the Pels that happened with the Saints this year. The whole looking good on paper effect.

Btw whose fault is that they only know 50% of his playbook?
    Yet Rivers and Carlisle have been fired before..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    This. If Davis could play center, we wouldn't be questioning The Rhyno.
    It comes down to them both being PF.

If Davis continues to grow to 7 feet and packs on even more muscle, the discussion will be around moving Asik.
    I'd put some money that Davis is closer to 7 foot now than 6 11

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Yet Rivers and Carlisle have been fired before..

exactly what are you insinuating with this line?

There are many ways you can run with this. Pro or Con keeping Monty....

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    exactly what are you insinuating with this line?

There are many ways you can run with this. Pro or Con keeping Monty....
    Wasn't saying either way, just saying there's a lot of guys who are looked at as scape goats in the past that weren't exactly the problem. Again, im not advocating for Monty.

Thread Information