Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: #bringinkarl

Quote Originally Posted by Nin10doe View Post
    Regardless of who the coach is, the team's overall bball IQ has to be raised. We have way too many guys that don't do really fundamental things.

When was the last time we ran a basic 3 on 1 fastbreak that didn't turn into someone getting fouled or AD cleaning up a missed layup?

When was the last time we actually swung the ball around the court for an open shot? I'm talking 3 or 4 passes to an open corner.

These are basic junior high school fundamentals that you don't see with this team. I watch really mediocre to bad teams move the ball WAY BETTER than we do.

Outside of AD and Jrue, we have a roster of guys with massive holes in their games. Asik good defensively, awful offensively. Anderson is good offensively, a disaster on defense. Tyreke gets in the lane, but can't shoot a lick. And those are our good players...
    Before someone comes in and says that IQ is the coaches fault, I will agree with this. A 4-2 fast break today resulted in an Eric Gordon clanked 3. That is totally on the players - in that moment you can see their level of decision making. No coach, even a bad one, would advocate for that possession to end that way if they truly could control the players
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe not. You might be able to get a bigger fish if you offer him both roles or at least the ability to hire a personnel guy. Thats how Detroit got Van Gundy.
    I never thought about that, I like this idea. Also MM what do you think are the chances both Dell and Monty are fired at the end of the year?

Griffin is on my list, but his overall resume scares me. All the other guys on my list have been a head coach on some level or has 10+ years as an assistant. Griffin is young and not very experienced. Also, I tend to want an innovative offensive mind or at least a guy who preaches uptempo.

Griffin intrigues me, but doesn't top my list.
    I know where you are coming from. I'm having a hard time coming up with a better replacement. I'm pretty sure a Karl or Van Gundy will not help. As a matter of fact I'm of the opinion you don't replace the coach if you don't have a clear cut better option. I'm not so sure a coaching change will help this inconsistent team. Maybe Monty needs better BBIQ players? Like I stated in my rant thread I would have considered 42-40 to be a successful season last July.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 01-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    I never thought about that, I like this idea. Also MM what do you think are the chances both Dell and Monty are fired at the end of the year?
    Chances both stay - 15%
    Chances Monty stays and Dell goes - 45%
    Chances Dell stays and Monty goes - 0%
    Chances both are gone - 40%

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    I know where you are coming from. I'm having a hard time coming up with a better replacement. I'm pretty sure a Karl or Van Gundy will not help. As a matter of fact I'm of the opinion you don't replace the coach if you don't have a clear cut better option. I'm not so sure a coaching change will help this inconsistent team. Maybe Monty needs better BBIQ players?
    Thats not a maybe, he definitely does. Question is: Is his ceiling still limited even with high IQ guys?

If I could ONLY upgrade one - coach or roster - I would choose roster. But I want to upgrade both long term ideally

Does everyone remember Houston back in 07-08 when they ripped off 22 wins in a row. They started the streak with like Yao, T-Mac, and Dikembe, and (the greatest Hornet of all time) Luther Head? They won like 9 in a row and then Yao went out. And then they won 4 more and Dikembe went out. And then it was just T-Mac and a bunch of defensive players who were offensive liabilities? I don't want Rick Adelman (who was their coach), but I want a guy who is smart enough to work through major injuries to important players (they had Carl Landry starting at center for those last 9 wins). Monty has shown he can't win when he has to deal with injuries, and maybe that is a matter of Edelman having two decades more of coaching than Monty, but Monty has been on the job 4 years, and he still hasn't figured it out.

Also, I understand you can't compare the East to the West. We all know that the Western Conference is harder, and for that Monty should get some slack, but Monty is 4-7 against the East. To his credit he is 13-11 in the West.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

#bringinPhilCollins

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Mike - Shaka Smart has always captured my attention, but do you think he is X's and O's innovative? Or do you think he just targets athletes who can pressure the ball and push the tempo all game? Because (from the little I've watched them play), he gets his players to play HARD, but I don't know how much scheming he does. Could you shed some light please?

Thanks.
    I think his teams are known for the hustle and tempo, but I have seen great X and O work from him and the ability to make adjustments in game. Saw him do it to my Georgetown team in the tourney and later to Kansas.

I think there would be some bumps in the road early on in his career, but I think he is an incredibly bright and passionate guy who will be open minded and find a way to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    #bringinPhilCollins
    LMAO!

The problem with Shaka Smart (and it has been mentioned here before) is that his system is havoc. Full court press, pressing after made baskets, as a player you are constantly moving. Thats good if you have guys that can get up and down a court ala AD, Reke, Jrue, but that system is going to burn players out after a while because this isn't college basketball. In college you get multiple nights off. In the NBA you play multiple nights in a row.

In order for Havoc to work in the NBA you need a great bench. Not what we have now. We need the Houston Rockets 1993-1995 bench. We need a bench mob that can come and play hard basketball for 20+ min.s a game. I think we can find those guys, but we will have to get under the cap to get enough of them here.

Thats my only problem with Shaka.

Is anyone else reading this thread and thinking #bikinigirl?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The problem with Shaka Smart (and it has been mentioned here before) is that his system is havoc. Full court press, pressing after made baskets, as a player you are constantly moving. Thats good if you have guys that can get up and down a court ala AD, Reke, Jrue, but that system is going to burn players out after a while because this isn't college basketball. In college you get multiple nights off. In the NBA you play multiple nights in a row.

In order for Havoc to work in the NBA you need a great bench. Not what we have now. We need the Houston Rockets 1993-1995 bench. We need a bench mob that can come and play hard basketball for 20+ min.s a game. I think we can find those guys, but we will have to get under the cap to get enough of them here.

Thats my only problem with Shaka.
    And I have maintained that this is his system because of his situation. When you have less talent than your opponent, you have to cheat the game a little bit. And he will never get the talent there that the big boys get. I do think he would keep some principles wherever he went, but I refuse to believe he would keep havoc if he gets to the NBA.

I think he believes in tempo - and that he would implement this philosophy far differently in the NBA.

Chances both stay - 15%
    Chances Monty stays and Dell goes - 45%
    Chances Dell stays and Monty goes - 0%
    Chances both are gone - 40%
    I don't know what's worse, that there is only a 40% chance both are gone or that there is a 60% chance Monty is still here

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    I don't know what's worse, that there is only a 40% chance both are gone or that there is a 60% chance Monty is still here
    My thing is - Either give Dell an extension today or fire him NOW. I don't want a GM who doesn't know where he stands long term in control of our books right now. Monty can't mess us up anymore this year IMO, but Dell could still do things in the next month that could hurt us for years to come if he feels like it is playoffs or bust for him this year. Only thing I am scared of, outside of a major injury this year.

Thats not a maybe, he definitely does. Question is: Is his ceiling still limited even with high IQ guys?

If I could ONLY upgrade one - coach or roster - I would choose roster. But I want to upgrade both long term ideally
    Not to disagree but for the sake of argument the main complaints I see posted on PR about Monty are his rotations and in game decisions. He did bench Austin Rivers tonight which he had to do IMO. Jimmer comes in and did not shoot lights out like he needs to do. Monty shortened his rotations tonight and it did not work because our bench got outscored. He started Gordon AND Tyreke? We all knew Babbitt wouldn't play. AD played 41:30 minutes. He got his touches and baskets and the Pelicans still lost? Tyreke played less minutes. Holiday stayed in despite his infuriating tendency to get called. He did call time out tonight at the end of the game against the grain like so many posters have advocated but it failed miserably.
    Not to defend Monty but the guy seems to be trying to change the Pelicans fortunes and doesn't seem to make the same mistakes over and over but? So what could Monty have done to help the outcome of this game. I'm sorry but I didn't see it.
    I put a lot of this on the players tonight. Hopefully we can beat the Grizzles who I happen to think are OVERATED. But I no longer care if this team makes it to the PLAYOFFS.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 01-07-2015 at 11:10 PM.

I want Karl cause I think he could improve this roster as is. I think Karl would get us to the playoffs. He can coach another 4-5 years imo. He could get a top asst to come with him and groom him to take over when he does retire to make for a smooth transition and not missing a beat. I also want Larry brown to come here as well. He's older too but same scenario but I think Larry can coach another 6-8 years himself. I'm just saying we are in a dam losing culture right now and we need to get out of it quick. I think a more accomplished, experienced coach can do that for us right away. We don't need to win the finals in the next 2-3 years. We have to start getting in the dam playoffs and getting some 7 game series in. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Not to disagree but for the sake of argument the main complaints I see posted on PR about Monty are his rotations and in game decisions. He did bench Austin Rivers tonight which he had to do IMO. Jimmer comes in and did not shoot lights out like he needs to do. Monty shortened his rotations tonight and it did not work because our bench got outscored. He started Gordon AND Tyreke? We all knew Babbitt wouldn't play. AD played 41:30 minutes. He got his touches and baskets and the Pelicans still lost? Tyreke played less minutes. Holiday stayed in despite his infuriating tendency to get called. He did call time out tonight at the end of the game against the grain like so many posters have advocated but it failed miserably.
    Not to defend Monty but the guy seems to be trying to change the Pelicans fortunes and doesn't seem to make the same mistakes over and over but? So what could Monty have done to help the outcome of this game. I'm sorry but I didn't see it.
    I put a lot of this on the players tonight. Hopefully we can beat the Grizzles who I happen to think are OVERATED. But I no longer care if this team makes it to the PLAYOFFS.
    Agree 100%. Fans say - Monty should do X and Y differently. He does, and we still lose and now he is to blame for Q and R.

He has faults, no doubt. But I think I could win more with him and higher IQ guys than the same players and 95% of coaches.

And I have maintained that this is his system because of his situation. When you have less talent than your opponent, you have to cheat the game a little bit. And he will never get the talent there that the big boys get. I do think he would keep some principles wherever he went, but I refuse to believe he would keep havoc if he gets to the NBA.

I think he believes in tempo - and that he would implement this philosophy far differently in the NBA.
    While he can change his system once he gets to the NBA and has the same level talent to the competition (well except for Philly...those guys are going to be a joke well into Shaka's first few years here), how much of his success will he lose by changing it? That has been his edge for all these years (getting junk yard dogs who might not have the basketball skill, but certainly have the athletic skill). In the NBA kids with the athletic skill and no brains get washed out super quick (JuJu then, AR now). Now skill outweighs athletecism, so you are going to need a lot of skilled athletic guys (you don't need a team full of Lebrons or AD's, but you can't have a team of Asik, Anderson, and Gordon playing long minuets in that system. You need to cut their minuets and have adequate replacements ready to run.

It would be fun to have him here.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I want Karl cause I think he could improve this roster as is. I think Karl would get us to the playoffs. He can coach another 4-5 years imo. He could get a top asst to come with him and groom him to take over when he does retire to make for a smooth transition and not missing a beat. I also want Larry brown to come here as well. He's older too but same scenario but I think Larry can coach another 6-8 years himself. I'm just saying we are in a dam losing culture right now and we need to get out of it quick. I think a more accomplished, experienced coach can do that for us right away. We don't need to win the finals in the next 2-3 years. We have to start getting in the dam playoffs and getting some 7 game series in. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
    If Karl came with a long term answer at assistant, then I would be down. I think 4-5 years is unrealistic for him, but 2-3 might be doable. But if there was a guy who was a lock to be a great long term coach, he wouldn't settle for an assistants role just to wait out a guy. But yes - a Bobboy Bowden/Jimbo Fisher situation would be ideal.

I also want Larry brown to come here as well. He's older too but same scenario but I think Larry can coach another 6-8 years himself. I'm just saying we are in a dam losing culture right now and we need to get out of it quick. I think a more accomplished, experienced coach can do that for us right away. We don't need to win the finals in the next 2-3 years. We have to start getting in the dam playoffs and getting some 7 game series in. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
    Larry Brown has young kids. Young kids make old people younger. My 75 year old father in law is still surfing and boogie boarding on account of my 19yo brother in law always wanting to go to the beach, and surf.

I think Larry Brown has it in him to coach till he is cold and 6ft under. The question is, would his system work here?

How anyone can claim that George Karl is not a clear upgrade over Monty is absolutely baffling. I mean are you people serious?? Monty couldn't sniff Karl's jock for christs sake. It's a huge upgrade and it's not even a debate. Any other point of how old he is and all that u can refer to my post above for that discussion.

If Karl came with a long term answer at assistant, then I would be down. I think 4-5 years is unrealistic for him, but 2-3 might be doable. But if there was a guy who was a lock to be a great long term coach, he wouldn't settle for an assistants role just to wait out a guy. But yes - a Bobboy Bowden/Jimbo Fisher situation would be ideal.
    I agree, what I mean is I'm sure in all of Karl's years he knows some up and coming asst coaches. Bring him in with him for said plan. Don't think it's far fetched at all tbh. Never said anything about a lock either. Not sure how u got that. I mean is there even a such thing?

Agree 100%. Fans say - Monty should do X and Y differently. He does, and we still lose and now he is to blame for Q and R.

He has faults, no doubt. But I think I could win more with him and higher IQ guys than the same players and 95% of coaches.
    Monty's biggest fault is his wardrobe. He doesn't need to be GQ. But?

Zz Top – Sharp Dressed Man Lyrics
    Clean shirt, new shoes
    And I don't know where I am goin' to.
    Silk suit, black tie,
    I don't need a reason why.
    They come runnin' just as fast as they can
    Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 01-07-2015 at 11:30 PM.

I agree, what I mean is I'm sure in all of Karl's years he knows some up and coming asst coaches. Bring him in with him for said plan. Don't think it's far fetched at all tbh. Never said anything about a lock either. Not sure how u got that. I mean is there even a such thing?
    I just think that if Karl knew this guy, then other people do too. My thing is I see a trend with dynasty's. They have an All-Time great player and one coach throughout the dynasty (or at least the vast majority of it -Auerbach handed it off at end).

I would search heaven and earth for a guy that can grow with AD for the next 10-15 years. If I couldn't find that guy, then I would move on to options like the one you suggested. But thats me. I don't think our owner will seek out the same thing.

I just think that if Karl knew this guy, then other people do too. My thing is I see a trend with dynasty's. They have an All-Time great player and one coach throughout the dynasty (or at least the vast majority of it -Auerbach handed it off at end).

I would search heaven and earth for a guy that can grow with AD for the next 10-15 years. If I couldn't find that guy, then I would move on to options like the one you suggested. But thats me. I don't think our owner will seek out the same thing.
    The Cavs searched the Earth for him, and he might be available come years end (if not sooner).

Thread Information