Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: #bringinkarl

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Quinn Snyder, Adrian Griffin, Jerry Sitchting, David Vanterpool.
    Not fond of ex players from the 90s with the defensive background. If you go 90s go shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want a new coach, but I have never understood the rational of Karl being that coach. I have heard people say that Monty is our Phil Collins and the next guy has to be our Phil Jackson in that analogy. Phil was 44 when he took the Bulls job. He retired from coaching 22 years after taking that job. Karl has 3-4 years of coaching tops.

Pop has spent his whole career with Duncan. Seems to me that if you want a dynasty, you can't keep switching coaches. If/when we fire Monty, we need to get a guy who can be here the next 10-15 years with him.
    When did our Peter Gabrial period start and end?

I agree, Karl would be an upgrade, but I don't think he is a long term upgrade. Monty can be your starter coach, Karl would be your set up guy, and the next would be our closer?

I am a fan of the Karl for the quick play, but I also like to try my hand at penny stocks (so take that desire for whats it worth). Monty is the pharmaceutical stock that has great test results (he should be good in theory), but the FDA keeps denying it (injuries, players not playing their roles).

I want to invest in something new. This stock looks like its headed for another FDA denial, and I need something with test results that have been tried more.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I will try to find where I read that. But they mentioned it on NBATV also, if i remember correctly. I know I heard someone mention it on TV.. Everyone on the set was uncomfortable like they all knew it was messed up.

I will try to find where I read that. But they mentioned it on NBATV also, if i remember correctly. I know I heard someone mention it on TV.. Everyone on the set was uncomfortable like they all knew it was messed up.

Problem with Monty is that I can't even begin to think what his coaching "hallmark" is...supposedly defense but we all know that's not true. His philosophy hasn't changed in 5 seasons. His team struggles with basics (setting screens, running basic plays, getting the ball to their star, etc.). If he continually says publicly that their main priority is getting AD touches and AD continues to have minimal touches at the most crucial points in the game then Monty is clearly not very effective at either communicating that during TOs, practice or holding players accountable for going against his wishes. I fear that having Monty continue as HC will lead to AD possibly becoming upset and forcing his way out or not continuing to grow as a player due to a coach that doesn't know how to teach a player of his calibre.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

When Monty and Dell are bought fired that will be this franchise best day since we got the #1 pick.

Quinn Snyder, Adrian Griffin, Jerry Sitchting, David Vanterpool. But please not Karl or a van Gundy. Oh and John Calipari was at the game the other night to watch AD and John Wall.
    I don't think Calipari would be very effective as a head coach, he excels in the college game b/c he is able to recruit the best players not b/c of his extraordinary coaching abilities.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    lol - Doug
    sup?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    Google the articles, dude. If religion played any part it was more an icing on the cake. Dude alienated the entire Org to play the "us vs. them" card. He refused to hire strong assistants to wall of his team from the rest of the org and instill in them a "they don't believe in us attitude" all because he was insecure with talented assistants next to him. (Coincidentally, that's something we need). Religion played no part in it at the root. Mark Jackson has always been a religious man. He had his church well before he was named coach. Heck, he played a character named Preacher in Eddie. Everyone knew and they still hired him.

#bringinkarl

Karl's too old for the dynasty that we want.
    Last edited by iNolaNightmare; 01-07-2015 at 10:07 PM.

I would hope that the goal of fans would be a dynasty with a player like AD. You don't keep switching coaches with a dynasty. Pop and Phil Jackson were in their mid 40's when they teamed up with MJ and Duncan. You got to try for something like that - not just a short term fix.
    The one guy we agreed on was Adrian Griffin.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    I don't think Calipari would be very effective as a head coach, he excels in the college game b/c he is able to recruit the best players not b/c of his extraordinary coaching abilities.
    But he did know how to use AD to win. He joked about reigning him in the other night at the SKC. And he has been able to use other players to their max potential as well. He seems cerebral, goal oriented and uses his assistants well. Seems classy. Besides has nothing left to prove at UK after the Wildcats win NCAA again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Quinn Snyder, Utah
    Kaleb Canales, Dallas
    Tony Bennett, U of VA
    Tyronn Lue, Cleveland
    Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State
    Any balding white guy sitting next to Pop
    I will take Becky Hammond over Jim Boylen. I am not sure who among you was living in Utah or watching U of U games at the time (besides MM and I). Boylen was a boil on the rear end of that basketball team. Pass.

Like MM, I want Holberg or Smart. Tony Bennett seems like a solid hire too. The problem is, none of those guys are going to quit mid season to come and coach here. There is loyalty to a college program which college football coaches show, and then there is loyalty that college basketball coaches show. None of those guys are going to pull a John L. Smith and bail on their team two weeks before the season opener, much less mid season. If we let Monty run his course maybe he does well and he proves he can stay on the island. If he doesn't we lose a lottery pick. If we bring in a new guy we will continue losing, and that will upset people here. If the new guy comes in and wins we will lose a lottery pick. Pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    I was going to say Hoiberg myself, but I think Smart and Ollie would also be great candidates. Or maybe try and lure one of Thibs top assistants away from the Bulls.
    Like ADRIAN Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Google the articles, dude. If religion played any part it was more an icing on the cake. Dude alienated the entire Org to play the "us vs. them" card. He refused to hire strong assistants to wall of his team from the rest of the org and instill in them a "they don't believe in us attitude" all because he was insecure with talented assistants next to him. (Coincidentally, that's something we need). Religion played no part in it at the root. Mark Jackson has always been a religious man. He had his church well before he was named coach. Heck, he played a character named Preacher in Eddie. Everyone knew and they still hired him.
    If you go back and read my original statement I never said it was the root, I was only saying that I heard on a show and read it was part of it. Just because it has always been doesnt mean someone cannot regret it after the fact. That's like someone dating a stripper, it doesn't meant one day the guy may get tired of her stripping lol. (Just comparing the principle)

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    If you go back and read my original statement I never said it was the root, I was only saying that I heard on a show and read it was part of it. Just because it has always been doesnt mean someone cannot regret it after the fact. That's like someone dating a stripper, it doesn't meant one day the guy may get tired of her stripping lol. (Just comparing the principle)
    IIRC, it was an unfortunate comment made after the fact. I know what you are referring to. At any rate it's moot, Mark Jackson is the same as Monty. They both need a veteran squad that understands the game to be successful. We need a teacher.

We tried that GM to coach thing before. Are you suggesting the Pelicans bring back Jeff Bower.
    The Walrus never lies.

(This isn't directed at you btw) Why do people refer Monty was as an assistant coach under Pops (like it adds credibility to his resume)? He was an intern for one season. He wasn't Ayers, Hanners, or Gates. He was the guy running around scouting video of opponents. He wasn't the guy Pops would turn to and say "hey, I need you to draw up a play."

Monty was an assistant to Nate McMillan for 5 year (and a trusted one at that). That should speak more about his resume than the Pops item.

We are going to hire a gm first, so what team would y'all like to get someone out of the front office from?

Like ADRIAN Griffin
    Griffin is on my list, but his overall resume scares me. All the other guys on my list have been a head coach on some level or has 10+ years as an assistant. Griffin is young and not very experienced. Also, I tend to want an innovative offensive mind or at least a guy who preaches uptempo.

Griffin intrigues me, but doesn't top my list.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The Walrus never lies.

(This isn't directed at you btw) Why do people refer Monty was as an assistant coach under Pops (like it adds credibility to his resume)? He was an intern for one season. He wasn't Ayers, Hanners, or Gates. He was the guy running around scouting video of opponents. He wasn't the guy Pops would turn to and say "hey, I need you to draw up a play."

Monty was an assistant to Nate McMillan for 5 year (and a trusted one at that). That should speak more about his resume than the Pops item.
    And what about Nate McMillan? My main concern is he could have OSA and fall asleep on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    We are going to hire a gm first, so what team would y'all like to get someone out of the front office from?
    Maybe not. You might be able to get a bigger fish if you offer him both roles or at least the ability to hire a personnel guy. Thats how Detroit got Van Gundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Should we double dip from SA? In 12 years RC has found a few nice assistant coaches who later went on to have decent careers, and his 5 understudies who are currently GM's in the NBA haven't had horrid records.

Regardless of who the coach is, the team's overall bball IQ has to be raised. We have way too many guys that don't do really fundamental things.

When was the last time we ran a basic 3 on 1 fastbreak that didn't turn into someone getting fouled or AD cleaning up a missed layup?

When was the last time we actually swung the ball around the court for an open shot? I'm talking 3 or 4 passes to an open corner.

These are basic junior high school fundamentals that you don't see with this team. I watch really mediocre to bad teams move the ball WAY BETTER than we do.

Outside of AD and Jrue, we have a roster of guys with massive holes in their games. Asik good defensively, awful offensively. Anderson is good offensively, a disaster on defense. Tyreke gets in the lane, but can't shoot a lick. And those are our good players... After our top 6 or 7, we have a roster 12th men. Guys that might not find another job of we let them go.

You can't be juggling Austin Rivers and Jimmer, and trying to make the playoffs in the west.
    Last edited by Nin10doe; 01-07-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nin10doe View Post
    Regardless of who the coach is, the team's overall bball IQ has to be raised. We have way too many guys that don't do really fundamental things.

When was the last time we ran a basic 3 on 1 fastbreak that didn't turn into someone getting fouled or AD cleaning up a missed layup?

When was the last time we actually swung the ball around the court for an open shot? I'm talking 3 or 4 passes to an open corner.

These are basic junior high school fundamentals that you don't see with this team. I watch really mediocre to bad teams move the ball WAY BETTER than we do.

Outside of AD and Jrue, we have a roster of guys with massive holes in their games. Asik good defensively, awful offensively. Anderson is good offensively, a disaster on defense. Tyreke gets in the lane, but can't shoot a lick. And those are our good players...
    Nail meet head.

Mike - Shaka Smart has always captured my attention, but do you think he is X's and O's innovative? Or do you think he just targets athletes who can pressure the ball and push the tempo all game? Because (from the little I've watched them play), he gets his players to play HARD, but I don't know how much scheming he does. Could you shed some light please?

Thanks.

Thread Information