Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: #bringinkarl

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Monty could be that coach long term, but it would require a huge shift in off the court personel. Somebody who has good relationship with Monty but has a completely different temperament. Nate McMillan as GM maybe, bring Tom Penn in as Assistant GM to help Nate with cap issues and the cba. Let Monty and Nate report personnel decisions to Loomis, jointly. Grab a young front office star from a progressive franchise like Dallas or Houston for analytics. If Monty stays it would have to be that drastic, imo.
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 01-07-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Mark Jackson should be a coach near the top of the list although it sounds like he has burned some bridges in the league and a lot of Warriors fans seemed unimpressed with him towards the end. Or try and find the next Hornacek/Kerr/Thibs it can't be that hard right?
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    Any names off the top of your head that could fill that role?
    I have always been an advocate of Shaka Smart or Fred Hoiberg. David Fizdale maybe or Kevin Ollie, Adrien Griffin.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    Mark Jackson should be a coach near the top of the list although it sounds like he has burned some bridges in the league and a lot of Warriors fans seemed unimpressed with him towards the end. Or try and find the next Hornacek/Kerr/Thibs it can't be that hard right?
    Jackson pretty much didn't care about one relationship in the building and ran over people to get what he wanted. That is NOT the kind of coach you want long term. It's not sustainable. Maybe he's learned, but i doubt it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Only sure thing in my opinion is we need to keep Jrue and AD.

Coaching is brutal. I'm forgiving of Monty but I want to win and if I'm Benson I want to hire a new coach after this month because why wait? What are we waiting for? How much evidence do you need????? We have to replace Monty and I would be fine hiring Mark Jackson or Avery Johnson.
    We could hire Jeff Bowers as an assistant.

Marc Jackson and Monty are so eerily similar. People would have the same exact frustrations. Find Warriors fans posts on boards like this - you won't be able to tell which ones are about Mark and which ones are about Monty. Very similar tactics and strategy.

Oh I forgot to mention another first time HC that has torn it up, Budenholzer. It seems like out of all the possible ex-Spurs assistants to choose from we nabbed the most incompetent one.

Naw, motivator won't work with this group. They already play with a massive chip on their shoulder (not in a good way) Mark Jacksons us against the world mumbo jumbo would have Reke and AD fighting on the court. This teams needs a true teacher of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have always been an advocate of Shaka Smart or Fred Hoiberg. David Fizdale maybe or Kevin Ollie, Adrien Griffin.
    I was going to say Hoiberg myself, but I think Smart and Ollie would also be great candidates. Or maybe try and lure one of Thibs top assistants away from the Bulls.

Quinn Snyder, Utah
    Kaleb Canales, Dallas
    Tony Bennett, U of VA
    Tyronn Lue, Cleveland
    Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State
    Any balding white guy sitting next to Pop

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Depressing. These are not the threads I expected to see this year.

Maybe Dell should step up and coach, and become the next Popovich...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want a new coach, but I have never understood the rational of Karl being that coach. I have heard people say that Monty is our Phil Collins and the next guy has to be our Phil Jackson in that analogy. Phil was 44 when he took the Bulls job. He retired from coaching 22 years after taking that job. Karl has 3-4 years of coaching tops.

Pop has spent his whole career with Duncan. Seems to me that if you want a dynasty, you can't keep switching coaches. If/when we fire Monty, we need to get a guy who can be here the next 10-15 years with him.
    Which is why going after a much younger coach than Karl seems prudent.

What's your take on Mike Malone, btw. Been meaning to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    looked so to me
    no it wasn't....you're quite blinded with hate, I guess you can't see anything...

Maybe Dell should step up and coach, and become the next Popovich...
    We tried that GM to coach thing before. Are you suggesting the Pelicans bring back Jeff Bower.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

in other news Detroit are about to go 7 straight with a win over Dallas.. soon they will be sharing the same record as us

You beat me to it. But really I would love Phil Collins in NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Which is why going after a much younger coach than Karl seems prudent.

What's your take on Mike Malone, btw. Been meaning to ask.
    Wouldn't be the type of guy I would target. Would look for a more innovative mind on the offensive end. A guy who made tempo in all aspects of the game a high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Jackson pretty much didn't care about one relationship in the building and ran over people to get what he wanted. That is NOT the kind of coach you want long term. It's not sustainable. Maybe he's learned, but i doubt it.
    I believe Mark started to get on the bad end with the front office because of his religious beliefs. But that man of his word personality very much won the players respect. He also cared about his players well-being off the court. But I think it's been documented that the front office hinted that they were not liking how his religious traits had so much of a strong presence, even at work. And with that man also being a preacher, you know who was going to win that battle 10 times out of 10. I tip my hat to him. Some people believe that cost him his job.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    I believe Mark started to get on the bad end with the front office because of his religious beliefs. But that man of his word personality very much won the players respect. He also cared about his players well-being off the court. But I think it's been documented that the front office hinted that they were not liking how his religious traits had so much of a strong presence, even at work. And with that man also being a preacher, you know who was going to win that battle 10 times out of 10. I tip my hat to him. Some people believe that cost him his job.
    That's not what i read at all about the situation. Who know?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/...sons-joe-lacob

"Part of it was that he couldn't get along with anybody else in the organization," Lacob said. "And look, he did a great job, and I'll always compliment him in many respects, but you can't have 200 people in the organization not like you."
    Jackson's staff, consisting of Lindsay Hunter, Brian Scalabrine, Pete Myers, Jerry DeGregorio and Darren Erman, clearly failed to meet the standards of management. Making matters worse, he publicly clashed with two of them. First, Scalabrine was reassigned to the Warriors D-League affiliate after what Jackson called "a difference in philosophy" and then Erman was fired for secretly recording coaches' meetings, allegedly to share them with front office personnel. There was clearly a dysfunctional environment among Jackson's inner circle.

Monty has his good days and bad days. George Karl is an excellent coach, though, and I wouldn't mind us having an excellent coach. There's no denying that.

That being said, I personally think we can't just blame Monty and put all it on him. But yes, I'd prefer Karl. Who wouldn't? I agree he's getting older, but we all know he would improve this team. Come on.

Quinn Snyder, Adrian Griffin, Jerry Sitchting, David Vanterpool. But please not Karl or a van Gundy. Oh and John Calipari was at the game the other night to watch AD and John Wall. But seriously, I keep wondering if a good Haberdasher could help Monty's gravitas and success.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 01-07-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Monty has his good days and bad days. George Karl is an excellent coach, though, and I wouldn't mind us having an excellent coach. There's no denying that.

That being said, I personally think we can't just blame Monty and put all it on him. But yes, I'd prefer Karl. Who wouldn't? I agree he's getting older, but we all know he would improve this team. Come on.
    Monty has days where his players listened to him or they don't. It's not the content of the message it's the staleness, for whatever reason.

I would hope that the goal of fans would be a dynasty with a player like AD. You don't keep switching coaches with a dynasty. Pop and Phil Jackson were in their mid 40's when they teamed up with MJ and Duncan. You got to try for something like that - not just a short term fix.

Thread Information