Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knicks are prepared to trade Jose Calderon

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would rather Jimmer than Calderon at his price. Don't understand why people just wanna straight up dump Rivers for noting. If we can resign him this off season it will be cheap and we could have a player that turns into a very special bench player or a solid starter like the Spurs use Green. His shot is getting better along with his overall game. Rivers has potential I would like to hold onto and develop instead of just dumping for some revolving door player.
    Rivers has been abysmal lately.......All his numbers except for free throw percentage are career lows.......not worth keeping..IMO

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I'm not so sure. Imagine neither guy is on Minnesota right now. Minny is a virtual lock for a bottom 3 NBA record. Both guys are UFA's this summer. With that in mind, who makes more sense for their team - a 32 year old veteran or a 22 yr old former lottery pick that might just need a change of scenery to become a decent piece?

I just don't see the use Minny has for Mo, and I could see them talking themselves into the fact that maybe Rivers has a 10% chance of being a developmental piece for theme, where Mo has a 0% chance of becoming that
    with rubio out, lavine starting at pg isn't awesome, Mo gives them the vet presence for the locker room and court with so many young guys and an injury marred year. he is someone who can create well for others as well as score in their starting unit, and off the bench he was their best scorer too. On the other end, they have big issues in injuries that have clearly hurt their plans and they aren't winning so that potentially changes everything. Can I see them moving Mo? yep. Can I see them moving him for Rivers alone? I just don't see it. Granted they are both expiring, but Rivers only upside is a prayer that he improves greatly with a different organisation - and in this instance, an organisation that isn't struggling for potential guards really. In my mind, if I'm flip, I'm wanting more than just Rivers for Mo. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if we could do the deal, but just trying to think on the other side whether I would really do it. If he was open for trade, I feel others could throw a dirty towel and it would be more valuable, BUT most teams are already strong at the guard spot really. Maybe Indiana or Miami would do something for a performing backup guard (cole hasn't exactly had a brilliant season)?

I've also been looking on the wolves subreddit, trying to gauge their trade ideas and interests. funnily enough Mo isn't even mentioned. we get a mention (people actually willing to take EG's contract) until they realised we don't have a first next year to give haha. Quite a fair few interesting posts trying to get KG back.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    with rubio out, lavine starting at pg isn't awesome, Mo gives them the vet presence for the locker room and court with so many young guys and an injury marred year. he is someone who can create well for others as well as score in their starting unit, and off the bench he was their best scorer too. On the other end, they have big issues in injuries that have clearly hurt their plans and they aren't winning so that potentially changes everything. Can I see them moving Mo? yep. Can I see them moving him for Rivers alone? I just don't see it. Granted they are both expiring, but Rivers only upside is a prayer that he improves greatly with a different organisation - and in this instance, an organisation that isn't struggling for potential guards really. In my mind, if I'm flip, I'm wanting more than just Rivers for Mo. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if we could do the deal, but just trying to think on the other side whether I would really do it. If he was open for trade, I feel others could throw a dirty towel and it would be more valuable, BUT most teams are already strong at the guard spot really. Maybe Indiana or Miami would do something for a performing backup guard (cole hasn't exactly had a brilliant season)?

I've also been looking on the wolves subreddit, trying to gauge their trade ideas and interests. funnily enough Mo isn't even mentioned. we get a mention (people actually willing to take EG's contract) until they realised we don't have a first next year to give haha. Quite a fair few interesting posts trying to get KG back.
    i wouldn't mind CJ watson either. but even with your rationale... okay timberwolves get worse, Jhalil Okafor anyone? teams THAT bad aren't really worried about a veteran and if that guy wants to go play for a team who may be in the playoffs they usuall honor that request. they know they aren't competing for anything this year except the #1 pick. trade vets for high risk high reward guys or draft picks and no ones trading anything more than a 2nd rounder at best for an expiring 32 year old IMO. i fully expect jameer to be moved again too & ainge is on record for having an infatuation with Austin even after Doc left. I think there are definitely serviceable vets we can trade for Rivers, i'm just afraid Monty's relationship with Doc makes him hesitant to let him go

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    i wouldn't mind CJ watson either. but even with your rationale... okay timberwolves get worse, Jhalil Okafor anyone? teams THAT bad aren't really worried about a veteran and if that guy wants to go play for a team who may be in the playoffs they usuall honor that request. they know they aren't competing for anything this year except the #1 pick. trade vets for high risk high reward guys or draft picks and no ones trading anything more than a 2nd rounder at best for an expiring 32 year old IMO. i fully expect jameer to be moved again too & ainge is on record for having an infatuation with Austin even after Doc left. I think there are definitely serviceable vets we can trade for Rivers, i'm just afraid Monty's relationship with Doc makes him hesitant to let him go
    If Monty feels that way and keeps Austin in the rotation....He'll be calling Doc for a job in a few months.....

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Rivers has been abysmal lately.......All his numbers except for free throw percentage are career lows.......not worth keeping..IMO
    I didn't say he has been great but he definitely has potential. The kid could still be in college working on his game like Lillard. I just don't think you dump someone like him with the talent he has once he gets everything together. He is so young and once he is more experienced will be atleast a great combo guard off the bench. Not everyone develops and turns into Davis so quickly. Rivers is a project and instead of dumping him for nothing why not try to keep him for cheap and actually develop a player for once. Teams get rid of players way to quickly now a days and so many times they turn into good players a couple years down the road. I'm not saying he's gonna be great but look at how many players after getting time turn into very good bench players or even starters. I just think he real value with him is keeping him and seeing what he turns into.

How long can one make a career off of "potential"? At some point there has to be an expiration date right? The guys career has been a valley, then an ant hill, and back down to the valley. I am glad some are more optimistic about Rivers than I am, but I don't think the Wolves will bite on that.

I am will Billfromfinance, the Wolves aren't going to trade Williams to us (just for Rivers) to do him a solid. We would have to give up a bit more, because as the trade deadline comes around and the playoffs start becoming a reality for some teams, some playoff bound team will have the same mentality and fork over more than just an expiring bust for a proven player. Maybe we can toss in Jimmer (two busts are better than one?), or something else to secure his services, but who is trading something for what people are selling Rivers as. People know there isn't beachfront property in Nebraska, and NBA people know Rivers as attractive a game as Bob Cousey today.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How long can one make a career off of "potential"? At some point there has to be an expiration date right? The guys career has been a valley, then an ant hill, and back down to the valley. I am glad some are more optimistic about Rivers than I am, but I don't think the Wolves will bite on that.
    Sadly this is where I'm at with Rivers. No one can argue that I haven't been a huge supporter of him in the past.i really wanted it to work out. I still think he has the physical side of it. He has the ability to get to the rim and he has the ability on the defensive end. The problem seems for him to be all mental. Like MM said his home and away splits are night and day different.

He still might develop somewhere and I wish him all the best but I just don't see it happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Sadly this is where I'm at with Rivers. No one can argue that I haven't been a huge supporter of him in the past.i really wanted it to work out. I still think he has the physical side of it. He has the ability to get to the rim and he has the ability on the defensive end. The problem seems for him to be all mental. Like MM said his home and away splits are night and day different.

He still might develop somewhere and I wish him all the best but I just don't see it happening here.
    yeah and at this point, what is his potential? Reke? one Reke is enough, look how many complaints he gets. I don't want to cut rivers for nothing. I'm all for MM's idea if the wolves are hungry for it (I'm here all night).

Thread Information