Pelicans Report

Thread: The Next Big Pelican: Jeff Withey Is Ready to Break Out

The Next Big Pelican: Jeff Withey Is Ready to Break Out

Jeff Withey has not had a big chance to shine in the NBA, but when these few chances have arisen, shone he has.
    As one of the league's top screen setters (90.91 Solid Screen%), Withey fits in perfectly with an explosive Pelicans offense.

Jeff Withey. You probably forgot about this guy since he averaged 14 points and 8.5 boards for the 2012-2013 Jayhawks that also sent Ben McLemore to the NBA. Why would you remember him? In his two years in the NBA, he has averaged only 3.2 points per game, grabbed 2.4 rebounds per game, and started in four more games than I have.

Now, on a Pelicans team loaded with young budding stars, Withey sits at the end of the bench waiting for his big break. He’ll have to wait his turn behind guys like Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson, Omer Asik, and Alexis Ajinca. Out of all these players, Withey averages the fewest number of points and rebounds per game. What makes Withey special then?

Withey’s per-36 stats seem impressive – 14.5 ppg, 9.2 boards, 2.8 blocks, while turning the ball over just 1.3 times. But there’s a reason he’s not playing 36 minutes per game. Any guy who plays under 10 minutes per game can inflate his per-36 stats with a few garbage-time dunks and easy rebounds. Take Aaron Gray for example. He has made a living doing this, averaging 10 points, 11 rebounds, and 1 block per 36 minutes, until playing for four teams in the league, when GMs finally realized he just was not worth it.

But Withey is not headed in this direction. Sure, he might take advantage of his garbage time, but he also takes advantage of his valuable minutes as well. In 16 minutes against Denver, he put up 9 points and 6 rebounds while shooting 5-6 from the charity stripe. In a 6-point loss to the league’s best Warriors on December 14th, Withey had his most impressive game. Anthony Davis had to sit due to injury, and Withey took full advantage of his increased roll. In 15 minutes, he scored 10 points on 75 percent shooting, hit all 4 free throws, and grabbed 4 rebounds. The Pelicans lost the game by 6 points, but Withey ended the game with the highest +/- on the Pelicans (+6).

What makes Withey an easy call for NBA longevity is his ability to set screens. He ranks first in the NBA in Solid Screen% at an astounding 90.91 percent. He rolls on 64.29 percent of the screens he sets, which ranks second in the league. With guards who can score off the dribble, he has no problem sneaking behind the defense to get open.
    http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...y-to-break-out

Another reason Monty needs to be fired. We got the best screen setter in the league getting DNPs behind Alexis Ajinca

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Not sure this counts as a reason for Monty to be fired. The fact that a 2nd round pick isn't getting minutes in a loaded frontcourt.

But it does point out that we might have a capable rotation of centers if we can find value for Asik.

We need a center. We just don't necessarily need Asik.

He has a 21 per righ5 now

1-6

Good. Good. Let people believe this and allow us to trade him for something of even better value.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Good. Good. Let people believe this and allow us to trade him for something of even better value.
    I get that PER 36 numbers are flawed for a guy that gets so few minutes. But how do you know he really isn't capable of contributing at a higher level? The facts are we haven't seen enough to know one way or the other.

i would prefer to see him over Ajinca but i'm not ready to say he's 'ready for a breakout'

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Not sure this counts as a reason for Monty to be fired. The fact that a 2nd round pick isn't getting minutes in a loaded frontcourt.

But it does point out that we might have a capable rotation of centers if we can find value for Asik.

We need a center. We just don't necessarily need Asik.
    Loaded front court?
    Ajinca is garbage. Asik should not be playing more than 28 mpg and frankly Ryno shouldn't either but he has to because we have no front court depth, go figure. You telling me Withey can't get 10 minutes? Hell even 5? How is Ajinca seeing the court but not Withey?

This is a pattern for Monty, opting to play the old bum vet without a future on the team over a young prospect with potential.

Since Withey is only a 2nd rd pick. Can someone explain how the last 2 years, Brian Roberts consistently got minutes over our 10th overall draft pick? In years meant for development when the playoffs wasn't expected our genius coach decides to develop the 28 year old journeyman, amazing. Makes me wonder how much better Austin would be right now if he got a chance to gain that invaluable experience. Rubio goes down and instead of Mo Williams (who has no future with the team) getting the start, even though he is better, they throw their lottery pick into the fire and let him make his mistakes. Incredible that frigging MINNESOTA got it right but clueless Monty still has no clue.

He also did it with AD his rookie year to an extent, sitting him in the 4th for Jason Smith repeatedly! There was a string of games where AD was just sitting in the 4th until Monty let's him close and he gets the game winning tip against Boston, go figure.

The problem I have with Monty is all of his questionable decisions are decisions he's been making since he's got here. Nothing has changed, he has not improved, and he has effectively created a losing culture.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 12-30-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I get that PER 36 numbers are flawed for a guy that gets so few minutes. But how do you know he really isn't capable of contributing at a higher level? The facts are we haven't seen enough to know one way or the other.
    It's simply an odds thing. I'd rather sell high on him since we have enough centers on the team. He might end up being a fine center.

We saw him in summer league and everyone was ready to completely write him off. Wanted to cut him to keep Young. Now the dude has played a total of 114 minutes and he's the next break out center? Ok. Maybe. I hope other teams believe this and will give us value for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's simply an odds thing. I'd rather sell high on him since we have enough centers on the team. He might end up being a fine center.

We saw him in summer league and everyone was ready to completely write him off. Wanted to cut him to keep Young. Now the dude has played a total of 114 minutes and he's the next break out center? Ok. Maybe. I hope other teams believe this and will give us value for him.
    I was one of the people defending him over the summer, but I can definately see a point in trading him if he has value. I am reluctant to believe he would fetch anything noteworthy if only for the fact that he is still relatively unproven which you rightfully stated.

Let's see if Withey gets some run tonight over Ajinca. (who is simply not quick enough to stay with the Suns bigs.)
    the Legend has spoken!

Dont resign Asik, make withey the starting center and throw a max deal at jimmy butler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I was one of the people defending him over the summer, but I can definately see a point in trading him if he has value. I am reluctant to believe he would fetch anything noteworthy if only for the fact that he is still relatively unproven which you rightfully stated.
    This is pretty much how I feel. I'm interested in seeing how he develops, but I'm in no way ready to write an article anointing him or even close to saying Monty should be fire because of not playing him more. I also don't think he has a huge amount of value either because if he did, he'd already be traded to get a wing player. A good big is worth a ton more than a wing and I can't imagine if Dell had a chance of moving him and strengthening the 3 he wouldn't have taken it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that withey was playing pretty good the all of a sudden he's out of the line up for ajinca huh? how does that make sense in any way

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that withey was playing pretty good the all of a sudden he's out of the line up for ajinca huh? how does that make sense in any way
    elite coaching.

but also for the OP article talking about withey's per 36 stats, Ajinca is putting up 15.6 points and 11.6 rebounds per 36.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Withey should get more playing time. I think he is a more talented player than Ajinca. He seems to get to the FT line and he makes his shots from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    but also for the OP article talking about withey's per 36 stats, Ajinca is putting up 15.6 points and 11.6 rebounds per 36.
    You have to account for the centers that are guarding him when he is putting up these "per 36 numbers" I like withey over Ajinca but withey plays in a ton of garbage time.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    I forgot what game it was, but Withey was in the rotation until Ajinca had a pretty good offensive game...a double double with it I believe. Since then Monty's been riding the hot hand until he craps the bed...I'm fine with that.

I think I have a slight preference of Withey over Ajinca but I can still admit that Ajinca is more offensively talented with his midrange j and post game. So it's nothing painfully obvious. But some anti-Monty folk tend to sensationalize everything.

withey is more athletic and the better defender
    ajinca has a much more polished offensive game

2 completely different players.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Right guru...except I can't cosign "better defender." Better shot blocker and slightly more agile OK, but better help/positional/rotational defender I would really need to rewatch game tape or something.

But yeah, they have different strengths but overall I'd say they are what and what, depending on the matchup and flavor that is wanted.

Eta: I'd think I'd call Ajinca the better rebounder also, factoring in last season's performance.
    Last edited by djpaul89; 12-30-2014 at 03:45 PM.

I kinda hope Asik misses a few games. Wanna see how we play with Withey starting. He has much better touch than Asik and can actually catch the ball

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    It's Monty adjusting to the team he is going against. He gets criticized all the time because of not making adjustments, now when he does make adjustments because of the competition he's still doing the wrong thing. Lol.

Thread Information