Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jrue and Rivers

Jrue and Rivers

Can someone explain to me why rivers got 26 minutes considering how bad he was playing and jrue only got 34 minutes with how well he was playing? Montys rotations just dont make sense to me. Jrue is only 24 and is averaging 34 minutes a game, I would think he should be getting more.

Rivers 3 of 11 with 3 assists
    Jrue 9 of 12 with 7 assists

I didn't understand it either. Salmons, Ajinca and Rivers were all having bad games and yet we continued to go to that well for extended periods of time.

I may sound like a broken record but it reminds me a lot of the behavior of Monty from years past. Rivers and Salmons are this years Willie Green, Brian Roberts or Greg Stiemsma. Guys that seem to earn trust, minutes and team roles that make you scratch your head. Where almost any other player would get reprimanded for their behavior or play, Monty seems to give them the green light to continue it.

IDK.. I didn't think Rivers was super horrible today, probably swayed a bit by his good last quarter.

With Jrue and Evans, he's the only other guy who can really penetrate off the wing.

AR. 38% shooting last 5 games not worthy

Ajinca needs to go to the end of the bench. Withey has outplayed him consistently this year. Ajinca has the poorest feet I've ever seen on a big.

Rivers needs to not play more than ~20 mins per game. Why Salmons gets minutes is another oddity.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    IDK.. I didn't think Rivers was super horrible today, probably swayed a bit by his good last quarter.

With Jrue and Evans, he's the only other guy who can really penetrate off the wing.
    Before the 4th quarter rivers was 0-7 from the field. I have no clue why he would get so many minutes

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ajinca needs to go to the end of the bench. Withey has outplayed him consistently this year. Ajinca has the poorest feet I've ever seen on a big.

Rivers needs to not play more than ~20 mins per game. Why Salmons gets minutes is another oddity.
    Why darius miller got cut before salmons is freaking mind boggling. Salmons shouldn't play at all, give his freaking minutes to ryno at small forward, and take a few minutes from austin and give them to jrue, we gave up 2 first round lottery picks, I want him to get 36 minutes

I agree on rivers but ajinca just absolutely baffles me. Anyone with a lick of basketball knowledge that has watched the pels this year has seen Withey outplay ajinca every dam minute while on the floor this year. Yet, withey (who is much more agile and quicker) continues to sit and rot most games while ajinca comes in to pick up a quick 3-4 fouls in 10 min of play. Guess what tho? Withey will get 12-15 min here soon and look good and then will ride the pine for the next month. I mean at some point this man just needs to tell the public "I don't have a dam clue what I'm doing" smh

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Why darius miller got cut before salmons is freaking mind boggling. Salmons shouldn't play at all, give his freaking minutes to ryno at small forward, and take a few minutes from austin and give them to jrue, we gave up 2 first round lottery picks, I want him to get 36 minutes
    For the per36? Lol..j/k

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree on rivers but ajinca just absolutely baffles me. Anyone with a lick of basketball knowledge that has watched the pels this year has seen Withey outplay ajinca every dam minute while on the floor this year. Yet, withey (who is much more agile and quicker) continues to sit and rot most games while ajinca comes in to pick up a quick 3-4 fouls in 10 min of play. Guess what tho? Withey will get 12-15 min here soon and look good and then will ride the pine for the next month. I mean at some point this man just needs to tell the public "I don't have a dam clue what I'm doing" smh
    Exactly, some smart team gonna sign withey and hes gonna be a beast

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    For the per36? Lol..j/k
    Lmao maybe!

Why did we have to release Gal?

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Why did we have to release Gal?
    Cant score, cant defend, excellent passer tho

Cant score, cant defend, excellent passer tho
    Did we need the open roster spot immediately tho? It seem's like he was pushing Austin Rivers to play better.

Rivers was terrible until he was given the final stretch where he actually put it on offensively.

I know he made some bonehead plays but still I'd rather him there with Jrue/Evans than Babbit at the wings.

If Babbit was hot maybe you'd leave him out there, but he was trash tonight, so adjustments were made and the defense of Rivers was preferred.

You really can't complain unless you only saw the box score. Rivers did great things down the stretch given his chances and the real issue is that iso-ball Tyreke isn't good enough to take on good defenses. Hes is awesome at isoball when the offense has rotated, but just getting over half court and giving it to Tyreke is a really weak solution.

End of the day Monty put defenders out there over shooters. Rivers did good down the stretch, the team failed to get AD the looks he needed.

Before the 4th quarter rivers was 0-7 from the field. I have no clue why he would get so many minutes
    What is the alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Rivers was terrible until he was given the final stretch where he actually put it on offensively.

I know he made some bonehead plays but still I'd rather him there with Jrue/Evans than Babbit at the wings.

If Babbit was hot maybe you'd leave him out there, but he was trash tonight, so adjustments were made and the defense of Rivers was preferred.

You really can't complain unless you only saw the box score. Rivers did great things down the stretch given his chances and the real issue is that iso-ball Tyreke isn't good enough to take on good defenses. Hes is awesome at isoball when the offense has rotated, but just getting over half court and giving it to Tyreke is a really weak solution.

End of the day Monty put defenders out there over shooters. Rivers did good down the stretch, the team failed to get AD the looks he needed.
    Rivers, like usual, had moments of good and moments of very bad. He lost his cool and it cost us with his tech and then sloppy play. Offensively and defensively. He made some bad decisions(see the play at 7:40 in the second quarter where Rivers got a mismatch of AD against Brooks and Rivers against Mirotic and instead of Rivers giving it back to AD or trying to attack Mirotic off the dribble, Rivers settled for a contested long two that of course missed). Or the poor vision at the beginning of the fourth where he forced the issue.

Rivers has value, so don't think I am completely blasting him. But he has worked best when he hasn't been forced into the role of primary distributor and offensive facilitator.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-28-2014 at 12:38 AM.

What is the alternative?
    Staggering. I mean it is the the word used ad nauseum but it has merit. We need to do a better job staggering minutes and minimizing guys other then Jrue and Evans running the point. Rivers should not be handling the decision making on ten to fifteen plus possessions a night.

Im not sure why Gal was cut in favor of Russ Smith when Gal actually had the offense working efficiently and Russ hasn't done much of anything.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Staggering. I mean it is the the word used ad nauseum but it has merit. We need to do a better job staggering minutes and minimizing guys other then Jrue and Evans running the point. Rivers should not be handling the decision making on ten to fifteen plus possessions a night.
    I did think Jrue sat too long at stages tonight, but maybe tired from teh back to back?

jrue holiday played horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    jrue holiday played horrible

How so? I saw his box score on my fantasy team and I thought it looked efficient and rather conservative for him

I don't think jrue was playing that well in the first half, he picked it up in the second, but it wasn't his best game. Austin played pretty poorly throughout, his 4th quarter made it look a bit better. Wasn't expecting the win so eh. Thibs used his bench depth well.

What is the alternative?
    Its less about rivers minutes and more about jrues

Jrue should always get 36 minutes, he brings so much to the table. If he cant score he is still a great passer and defender, if he is having trouble passing he can score from anywhere on the floor, he is great from 3, midrange, and tricky around the rim and play great d. I have a problem with a 24 year old 2 way all star only getting 34 minutes a game

Thread Information