Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fire Monty???

Pelicans Fire Monty???

Fire Monty Now!!!! Trade Evans NOW!!!! Laughing my {edited - veiled cursing} off, I'm just kidding but it is funny how a good victory can shut a lot of people. up...all the Monty haters go MIA when we play good. jus saying .. Slowly but surely the Pelicans are starting to find their way

I just wanna go streaking. Consistency will shut me the hell up and I'll eat my Crow on French bread with a bag of Zapps and a Big Shot Fruit Punch.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

This is one step fwd. be ready for 2steps back

How much did MMembreno make at the bookies today?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    This is one step fwd. be ready for 2steps back
    Lol I sadly agree. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pelifanatic View Post
    Fire Monty Now!!!! Trade Evans NOW!!!! Laughing my azz off, I'm just kidding but it is funny how a good victory can shut a lot of people. up...all the Monty haters go MIA when we play good. jus saying .. Slowly but surely the Pelicans are starting to find their way
    I wouldnt say im totally satisfied with beating the spurs with corey joseph as their pointguard..
    And Pelicans have been doing this all year, have a big win.. followed by losing an easy game or getting blown out

@Bulls next game, don't think that is really an expected win for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I wouldnt say im totally satisfied with beating the spurs with corey joseph as their pointguard..
    And Pelicans have been doing this all year, have a big win.. followed by losing an easy game or getting blown out
    Damned if you win, damned if you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by pelifanatic View Post
    Fire Monty Now!!!! Trade Evans NOW!!!! Laughing my azz off, I'm just kidding but it is funny how a good victory can shut a lot of people. up...all the Monty haters go MIA when we play good. jus saying .. Slowly but surely the Pelicans are starting to find their way
    Did you really need to make a thread like this bc nxt time we lose Every one will come here and you'll be no where soooo yeeea

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    @Bulls next game, don't think that is really an expected win for this team.
    Bulls are stacked, lots of players are going to have to step up to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    How much did MMembreno make at the bookies today?
    2.7million I'm sure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Y'all are so quick to defend Monty when they win games.... Monty is a C minus coach in this league because.... Well, tell me what he has shown you in his 5 years as a head coach that makes him worth keeping!

He's got AD that's what he has going for him. He's a players coach and preaches defense. I'm not going to be easy on Monty because this is his last shot and he has the players needed to compete above a .500 record. Fire Monty is right. If we miss the playoffs I wouldn't mind him getting fired.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Y'all are so quick to defend Monty when they win games.... Monty is a C minus coach in this league because.... Well, tell me what he has shown you in his 5 years as a head coach that makes him worth keeping!

He's got AD that's what he has going for him. He's a players coach and preaches defense. I'm not going to be easy on Monty because this is his last shot and he has the players needed to compete above a .500 record. Fire Monty is right. If we miss the playoffs I wouldn't mind him getting fired.
    This team is a year away. We have two large holes on this team. SF and a backup PG . To blame Monty for everything is unfair. This team is really young. We're a year away from being a playoff team. ..

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

No it is because people are so quick to blame anyone for the sake of blame, that people defend Monty. If people weren't so aggressive in their abuse of him, and actually criticised him purely for things he controls and causes, there would not be so much defense of Monty. People get angry at losses and jump to blame him for issues with the team (which is fine in the sense he is the coach, they wear that responsibility), but if you step back, we are where we should be in the development of this team (AD's team that is) considering injuries and roster.

3 years AD has been here, and he is 21. What realistically would make people think a team led by a 21 year old has any right to be playoff bound in the west? Constantly calling for Monty to be fired in the first year of having the majority of the team healthy seems ridiculous. Not only that, as mentioned, we have holes in our roster. If you don't like losing, stop watching sport. Yes Monty has faults, as do our players. We are having our best year of the 3 so far, yet people are still complaining. 1 loss, 30 threads complaining. 1 win and this place is dead by comparison. No one has argued Monty is an A+ coach, people like to create their own narrative to keep their wheels spinning.

Fire Monty???

For as many "trade Evans/fire Monty" threads as there are after a loss, there's equally as many like this after a win. If you guys were superstitious y'all would stop.

Granted, i haven't been a doom and gloom guy this year, but I'm really happy. First time we ever beat the Spurs twice in a row in Pels history. I guess that's disclosing the playoffs(?) I can't remember.

It's pretty simple though: if Ryno and AD play well, we win.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    This team is a year away. We have two large holes on this team. SF and a backup PG . To blame Monty for everything is unfair. This team is really young. We're a year away from being a playoff team. ..
    If we have a losing record this season I will not be disappointed if they fire Monty.

You are right. We all know that we have to add a SF and a backup point.

We should be 19-10 based on the talent we have. We probably won't make the playoffs because our defense is inconsistent and below average. Going into this season I researched our defense and was surprised to find that statistically we are not that good on defense. Even with AD and Jrue....

Monty has had 5 years. We are at 15-14. If we continue at this winning percentage we will miss the playoffs. Even with our weaknesses Our team has enough ability and talent to get in at the 7th or 8th seed. We can beat Portland AND Golden State at home. We have to start beating good teams consistently. If we win 34 more games I think we'll make the playoffs... We'll have to win .600 from here on out. Stop settling for an average record.

If ur gonna praise monty for the wins then its only fare to blame him for losses.

If Monty put Anderson at SF in the starting lineup and eventually took Asik out and put Rivers in with AD, Jrue, Ryno, and Reke then I would think that Monty was utilizing the talent more effectively.

Our team has had a lot of close losses and that's a bad sign to me. Good coaches don't lose a lot of close games. They win a lot more close games than losing close games.

Monty can be unfairly criticized. We have a lot of talent on this roster but the bench is a joke. It's not Monty's fault that the bench is terrible. But I still think he's got to get this team on a respectable winning streak for me to keep my mouth shut.

Heres the rub. No one on here has said Monty is the worst coach in the NBA. Or that he is the sole cause of our problems. Or that he isn't having to work with an incomplete roster. But these are the questions I pose to everyone who wants to defend Monty.

Do you think Monty is a championship caliber coach? I mean is he honestly an elite level coach? And can you back that up with a body of supporting evidence?

Do you think there is and has been no one that could of or can replace him who is better? I.E. there have been no recent past or current alternatives that are better then Monty. If no, can you support that without trying to stack the evidence to one side of the argument and convince a skeptic with a reasonable argument?

Do you think Monty is the sort of coach that can go toe to toe with Popovich, Rick Carlisle, Rivers, Thibadeaux or even Hornacek, Kerr, Joerger, Stotts or Brooks and outcoach them in a 7 game series? Sure he may snatch a few series once AD hits his prime but do you think he is really a coach that can consistently beat these guys(and others that will come along at that same level) that he will be up against for years to come?

What i seem to hear from most Monty supporters is a series of excuses. We have had injuries, we have an incomplete roster, we have a young team, we we're tanking, people only complain in losses, this team is where it should be, even coach X has issues. Some of those(not all) aren't untrue statements. They have merit. But they don't exonerate Monty from a number of the criticisms that keep cropping up about him(rotations, favoritism, slow to adjust, poor defense, lots of close losses, rigid coaching style, poor at adapting outside of his coaching comfort zone etc.) and pointing those excuses defending Monty doesnt prove Monty is a good coach. Even in this thread I haven't read a single compelling argument that convinces me that Monty is a coach I should be getting behind.

And before people try and say I or others are just haters, please go read some of the early threads about Monty, where many people - including me - were giving Monty a fair shake and even were early defenders and liked what we saw. But as the season has gone on a lot of the same issues that have been present for a while seem to continue. And in the end what I want is to win a championship and nothing I have seen from Monty indicates he is the guy I have confidence in holding the clipboard in a playoff run. Or at the very least serving as a bridge in creating a winning culture that re-shapes a franchise.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-27-2014 at 12:48 AM.

What the man above me said.

The Monty train has pulled into the station of its final destination. We have gone as far as we can with him, and that's as far as we will go. We all learned something in the process. We learned that Monty could develop talent (like a Doug Collins), but not get you much further than where he can get you with a maxed out roster of Cp3, DX, Ariza, Jack roster. He will land on his feet in another place coaching up talent, but he isn't the guy that will take you to that next level.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think you are getting confused. I actually can't think of anyone on this board who said they want Monty as the head coach. As in, if George Karl and Monty had a public vote for coach, people on this board wouldn't be jumping at Monty. This thread is obviously targeting the highly emotional posts that bring no constructive feedback. People need to differentiate between haters, and people who criticize valid points. To be fair, on the other end of the spectrum, I can't think of any posters who blatantly ignore all criticism of Monty and blindly say he is the best coach. Can anyone name anyone? Most Monty "defenders" are actually people who think players need to put their hand up for their faults, and not just blame the coach. Or find it rich when people blame Monty for things he has no control over (at a looser sense, lets not get pedantic and say a coach can directly influence everything each player does, teams have off nights).

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Do you think Monty is the sort of coach that can go toe to toe with Popovich, Rick Carlisle, Rivers, Thibadeaux or even Hornacek, Kerr, Joerger, Stotts or Brooks and outcoach them in a 7 game series? Sure he may snatch a few series once AD hits his prime but do you think he is really a coach that can consistently beat these guys(and others that will come along at that same level) that he will be up against for years to come?[/INDENT
    I have never seen any evidence that any of the listed coaches other than Popovich can outcoach each other reliably, let alone in a 7-game series. Of that list, only Popovich and Rivers have won a title, both with very deep teams with a minimum of three superstars. The other coaches mentioned have better depth at their disposal for sure, so they could beat Monty head to head without providing any indication which coach was better.
    If you can't see improvement in several phases of the coaching game this year over last, then you have blinders on where Monty is concerned. It would be stupid to fire Monty unless AD requests a specific (and available) replacement. If that ever occurs, I hope it is behind the scenes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What the man above me said.

The Monty train has pulled into the station of its final destination. We have gone as far as we can with him, and that's as far as we will go. We all learned something in the process. We learned that Monty could develop talent (like a Doug Collins), but not get you much further than where he can get you with a maxed out roster of Cp3, DX, Ariza, Jack roster. He will land on his feet in another place coaching up talent, but he isn't the guy that will take you to that next level.
    So,playing a tougher schedule than Dallas,Phoenix,Houston,Clippers & Memphis>>> While beating San Antonio 2x (once in S.A.), beating Houston, in Houston, beating OKC 2x (once in OKC), Beating LeBron & being 4 games out of the 5TH playoff position (still having to play all of the east cellar dwellers 2x) you have concluded that Monty has reached his pinnacle ! HUH ! How about this ! We are young, we throw in some clunkers but are maturing ! Capable of beating anybody physically but mental growing pains cause lapses ! We will improve as the year goes on (especially if EG10 comes back healthy) ! Cunningham is a HUGE pick-up ! 1 game out of playoff contention behind Phoenix and S.A. & thats a negative ????? WOW ! As long as we have BLACK ICE manning the ship on the post, & injuries stay away, this team will mature as the year goes on>> as San Antonio will get OLDER as the year goes on ! This team will find itself in the playoff hunt through game 82 ! MOCK ASIK if you will, but his presence has allowed BLACK ICE to EXPLODE onto the scene ! His #'s wouldnt be close if STIEMSMA was manning the middle !

Who is Black Ice?

Nobody is saying Monty is a bad coach. I am saying he has taken us as far as he can. He has the potential to be the new Doug Collins. What we need now (since we have the new Jordan) is the new Phil.

Thread Information