Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flipping Asik

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Flipping Asik

Just wondering out loud...

If the Pelocans are still hovering around .500 at the trade deadline, do you consider flipping Asik? I drank the kool aid before the season about the impact he would have on our defense, but I'm just not seeing enough of it.

Sunk cost. Whatever the Pelicans gave up to acquire Omer is irrelevant to what they should do with him now. He's a legit 7 footer on a cap friendly expiring contract. Could we get a 1st from a playoff team? Could we package him with Tyreke or Gordon for something of value?

I'm not convinced one way or the other, be it "he's terrible" or "he's a savior", but I wouldn'tay him more than $9m in free agency, and I'd be having conversations with his agent right now to know if that's going to be enough.

Our roster construction is horrible. But if we were to look at our assets, could an expiring Asik ipotentially be one of our tradeable assets?

Asik and rivers for Jeff green and Kelly Olynyk. I'd do this deal.

Asik is a great player and perfect next to ad. Our defensive problems come from coaching not personnel

And play AD at C? I'm fine with that long term in another couple years but now, I dunno.

Personally I think it's simply too early and not worth it to move Asik. If you look at his numbers he is actually having a career year. But people are never satisfied.

The whole 9m/yr thing is just silly. With the way the cap is increasing he is going to get more money than that. Everyone is just so short sighted and wanting to make moves just to do it. A much better move would be to lock Asik into a 4yr deal and in a couple years if AD continues to add size then you move him after the cap increase when his deal should be considered even better.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Asik is a great player and perfect next to ad. Our defensive problems come from coaching not personnel
    I couldn't disagree more. Reke, Ryno, Babbitt, etc being bad defenders is not Monty's fault
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

HG, I believe it is a combination, not specifically just the coach. Seems lazy to blame one single factor. There have been numerous games this season with the players looking disinterested and lazy, putting in no effort on the defensive end (and that includes our illustrious AD). And even obvious points where the team turn it on and show us what we should be seeing defensively (that 4th quarter verse OKC). I am with Mythrol, resign Ask and let him and AD continue to build the chemistry. They are already very good as a pair, even with Ask hurting his back and possibly having lingering issues. Big men get their cheques, and there isn't a defensive power at C we are going to have a better chance at signing. All the good big men have teams already, and they will be doing everything In their power to keep them. No problem with paying him his money, remember it was only last season everyone was crying hard for a defensive big to pair with AD. One player doesn't fix every hole.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm fine with Asik. The only way I'd do it is if we could package Gordon with him.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Reke, Ryno, Babbitt, etc being bad defenders is not Monty's fault
    Jrue ad and asik are 3 of the best defenders in the league, we have more defensive talent than others teams who have better defenses than us.

Jrue ad and asik are 3 of the best defenders in the league, we have more defensive talent than others teams who have better defenses than us.
    I wouldn't call AD one of the best defenders.....yet.

Pelicans are committed to play AD at 4. In AD-Ryno combo, it's Ryno who has to guard center. Maybe wait till next season, who knows AD might grow out ala Dwight Howard although i don't think it is a good thing.
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

I'll give you Jrue and Asik (and Russ... but he doesn't play enough). AD is a great shot-blocker... not a great defender.

The entire rest of the roster are garbage defenders. 3 of 12. Yeah great defensive roster.

Tiago splitter also played 12 mins so lol to your post.

when we need asik is the playoff time. small ball doesn't work in playoffs, if your team doesn't contain LBJ.

I agree . I don't like monty decreases his minutes . He averages 20m/g since 2 weeks , I believe . He steals omer's minutes to give them to ajinca .

I also do think every player has a trade value . Even AD , but I would give him only for durant or blake kind of player .

Does anyone know if Asik is elgibile for an extension right now , or we do have to wait until summer
    Last edited by moon54; 12-27-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berkkobe7 View Post
    Tiago splitter also played 12 mins so lol to your post.

when we need asik is the playoff time. small ball doesn't work in playoffs, if your team doesn't contain LBJ.
    i agree Gasol, howard, zbo, and blake can only be contained by behemoth like omer. i just wish omer stopped bringing down the ball. in blazers game, he was going to do running dunk but hesitated and lowered his arm, making it easy for LMA to block him

Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    I agree . I don't like monty decreases his minutes . He averages 20m/g since 2 weeks , I believe . He steals omer's minutes to give them to ajinca .

I also do think every player has a trade value . Even AD , but I would give him only for durant or blake kind of player .

Does anyone know if Asik is elgibile for an extension right now , or we do have to wait until summer
    his offense has been atrocious. I know he might still hurt, but it's not an excuse to keep bringing down the ball. I wish he would just slam the bad boy home.

Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post

He got in foul trouble last night and we are playing a back-2-back, not to mention his recent back issues. I'm sure Monty has been resting him to try and get him fully healthy. We seem to have the backup centers we can do that with.

Asik is not eligible for an extension right now, nor do I think he would sign one. He is going to let the market set his price this summer.

As far as the AD trade comment goes just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Just wondering out loud...

If the Pelocans are still hovering around .500 at the trade deadline, do you consider flipping Asik? I drank the kool aid before the season about the impact he would have on our defense, but I'm just not seeing enough of it.

Sunk cost. Whatever the Pelicans gave up to acquire Omer is irrelevant to what they should do with him now. He's a legit 7 footer on a cap friendly expiring contract. Could we get a 1st from a playoff team? Could we package him with Tyreke or Gordon for something of value?

I'm not convinced one way or the other, be it "he's terrible" or "he's a savior", but I wouldn'tay him more than $9m in free agency, and I'd be having conversations with his agent right now to know if that's going to be enough.

Our roster construction is horrible. But if we were to look at our assets, could an expiring Asik ipotentially be one of our tradeable assets?
    Looking at all the top tier teams in the west. ..They have one thing in common. ..a true center. ..we definitely need a 3 and d, but not at the cost of giving up Asik. ..IMO

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Looking at all the top tier teams in the west. ..They have one thing in common. ..a true center. ..we definitely need a 3 and d, but not at the cost of giving up Asik. ..IMO
    Needing a true Center, and needing Asik, aren't necessarily the same thing. If we're behind OKC and Phoenix for the 8th seed at the deadline, I'd consider any of the following (hell, some I'd consider regardless):

Asik to Boston for Green

Asik/Ryno/Gordon/Salmons to Brooklyn for JJ/Lopez/Teletovic (would save Brooklyn a ton of cash over the next 2 seasons)

Asik/Gordon to Bucks for Middleton/Dudley/Sanders

Asik/Gordon to Denver for Chandler/Moz/Mcgee

Asik to Phoenix for Green/Len

Obviously, I have grave concerns about being locked into having to resign Asik at $12m(?) in the offseason and essentially running back in 2015 a squad that finishes 9th or 10th in the West this season. Will the same regime that felt they had to resign Gordon, be OK letting Asik walk if his price is too high or we decide we're a better team playing more Ryno/Davis than Davis/Asik.

I recognize the cap will go up. But so will player/agent salary demands.

I recognize we need a true center. But if we're committed to AD/Ryno, is paying $12m(?) for a center the best use of resources considering the other holes this team has?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Needing a true Center, and needing Asik, aren't necessarily the same thing. If we're behind OKC and Phoenix for the 8th seed at the deadline, I'd consider any of the following (hell, some I'd consider regardless):

Asik to Boston for Green

Asik/Ryno/Gordon/Salmons to Brooklyn for JJ/Lopez/Teletovic (would save Brooklyn a ton of cash over the next 2 seasons)

Asik/Gordon to Bucks for Middleton/Dudley/Sanders

Asik/Gordon to Denver for Chandler/Moz/Mcgee

Asik to Phoenix for Green/Len

Obviously, I have grave concerns about being locked into having to resign Asik at $12m(?) in the offseason and essentially running back in 2015 a squad that finishes 9th or 10th in the West this season. Will the same regime that felt they had to resign Gordon, be OK letting Asik walk if his price is too high or we decide we're a better team playing more Ryno/Davis than Davis/Asik.

I recognize the cap will go up. But so will player/agent salary demands.

I recognize we need a true center. But if we're committed to AD/Ryno, is paying $12m(?) for a center the best use of resources considering the other holes this team has?
    All those trade scenarios are flawed...IMO. We can get a wing player cheaper than a center.....

I like Asik but I remain steadfast in saying that we shouldn't marry ourselves to re-signing him.

This is an absolutely HUGE Big Man FA class. The market could do a lot of weird things depending on how a few dominoes fall. But things may just fall a way where alternatives to Asik seem more viable and smarter in the short and/or longterm.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I like Asik but I remain steadfast in saying that we shouldn't marry ourselves to re-signing him.

This is an absolutely HUGE Big Man FA class. The market could do a lot of weird things depending on how a few dominoes fall. But things may just fall a way where alternatives to Asik seem more viable and smarter in the short and/or longterm.
    If you let him walk and bring in another big, you've wasted a year of building chemistry with AD and the center position....SF and backup PG are this teams achilles heel.......

Yea all those trades would be nice. But I think I'd rather have my fish and eat it too. (pelican joke.)

I say re-sign him to a reasonable contract, hopefully 10/yr but may be more. Wonder if a Gordon+2nd rounder or Withey for J. Green/Wallace trade could be done, then cut/stretch Wallace. Fill the hole at SF and keep the core of the roster intact. Resign Rivers to reasonable deal. He's really gotten better.

Asik/ Ajinca
    Davis/ Anderson
    Green/ Cunningham/ Babbitt
    Rivers/ Evans
    Holiday/ Smith

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    If you let him walk and bring in another big, you've wasted a year of building chemistry with AD and the center position....SF and backup PG are this teams achilles heel.......
    Well thats why you weigh the cost against the benefits, like any smart GM would do. One of those costs is lost chemistry. But under no circumstance do you marry yourself to a decision regardless of any alternatives.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea all those trades would be nice. But I think I'd rather have my fish and eat it too. (pelican joke.)

I say re-sign him to a reasonable contract, hopefully 10/yr but may be more. Wonder if a Gordon+2nd rounder or Withey for J. Green/Wallace trade could be done, then cut/stretch Wallace. Fill the hole at SF and keep the core of the roster intact. Resign Rivers to reasonable deal. He's really gotten better.

Asik/ Ajinca
    Davis/ Anderson
    Green/ Cunningham/ Babbitt
    Rivers/ Evans
    Holiday/ Smith
    If we are going to keep Monty around he needs a lockdown defender that can guard 2's and 3's to successfully run his system(based on past history). Which rules out Jeff Green IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    If we are going to keep Monty around he needs a lockdown defender that can guard 2's and 3's to successfully run his system(based on past history). Which rules out Jeff Green IMO.
    Gerald Green fits what Monty needs.......

Thread Information