Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stretching Eric Gordon

Stretching Eric Gordon

It's impossible to accurately project what the salary cap will be this coming offseason but it seems likely the Pelicans will consider using the stretch provision on Eric Gordon to create cap space. Currently between Davis, Jrue, Tyreke, Anderson and Gordon were at 53 million. It's likely that with roster charges and resigning Asik we'll be at or above the salary cap with only the MLE to give out.

It's possible the Pelicans will want to make a big move this offseason as it is the last season Davis will be on his bargain rookie contract.

By stretching Gordon the Pelicans can spread out his remaining 15.5 million cap hit over 3 years opening over 10 million in cap space, leaving the total without Asik at 41 million. That could be a max level cap slot, or Asik and a player like Draymond Green or two quality role players like Gerald Green and Demare Carroll.

So should the Pelicans eat the 3 year cap hit? I think they should at least consider it while talking to free agents this offseason. If Marc Gasol says he'd sign Wouldn't you stretch Gordon?
    Last edited by Pelifan; 12-25-2014 at 09:47 PM.

So a correction, if we stretch Gordon this summer it will be 5m/yr over 3 years not 5. Also, we wouldn't need to stretch Gordon to go after Gasol. If we let Asik's cap hold go along with every other expiring we should have a decent offer. Not max but still very solid for him. If he were interested.

Also, keep in mind we still have Asik's cap hold so even if we stretch Gordon we won't have as much money as you think. Really there is no clean way to clear our cap this summer as the roster stands unless we are willing to drop Asik's Bird Rights.

At this point I simply see no reason to stretch Gordon out. He comes off right as the cap spikes and Ryno comes off the books. We will have enough money to basically offer a near max then.

Also keep in mind the SF market will be stacked in 2016 and if we don't stretch Gordon there is at least a "chance" of making an offer for Durant. If we stretch Gordon that option is basically gone.

Would I rather Asik + Gerald Green and in a year go after Durant? Personally yes. Even if we don't get him we can go after Batum. And there's still more as well.

My bad 3 years saves 10 million

Was thinking Josh smith for a second haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So a correction, if we stretch Gordon this summer it will be 5m/yr over 3 years not 5. Also, we wouldn't need to stretch Gordon to go after Gasol. If we let Asik's cap hold go along with every other expiring we should have a decent offer. Not max but still very solid for him. If he were interested.

Also, keep in mind we still have Asik's cap hold so even if we stretch Gordon we won't have as much money as you think. Really there is no clean way to clear our cap this summer as the roster stands unless we are willing to drop Asik's Bird Rights.

At this point I simply see no reason to stretch Gordon out. He comes off right as the cap spikes and Ryno comes off the books. We will have enough money to basically offer a near max then.

Also keep in mind the SF market will be stacked in 2016 and if we don't stretch Gordon there is at least a "chance" of making an offer for Durant. If we stretch Gordon that option is basically gone.

Would I rather Asik + Gerald Green and in a year go after Durant? Personally yes. Even if we don't get him we can go after Batum. And there's still more as well.
    I'm talking if we renounce Asik. It was implied. I'm also not sure what Asik's Cap hold will look like, his contract is rather unique, but I assumed his hold operated off 3 year bird free agent with 8 million the previous year and thought his hold would be about the same cost as resigning him. Obviously in the event we go after a max FA we would renounce Asik as well as all the other Pelies to open up space.

You also have to keep in mind Davis will likely qualify for the Rose rule if we are still under the same CBA and will be very expensive that offseason. Also no way we can keep Asik and Gordon and pull Gerald Green. I don't know if Gerald Green is only a mid level guy in a sellers market.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 12-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.

I could see Asik and Gerald Green. ..But Durant, that's the longest of long shots.....that money could be spent to upgrade a suspect bench. .

I still say we need a major piece. I'd much rather go for it now while we can lock up guys at a reasonable salary than in 2016 after the ridiculous TV deal. I think salaries will go way up and I'd rather get a Monta Ellis for example at 12 million plus 5 million of dead Gordon money than wait till 2016. Maybe the solution is to throw in another first round pick and trade Gordon to a team that doesn't want cap space. Gordon and a first to Minny for Kmart or something like that. But I have decreasing confidence in this core with this coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    It's impossible to accurately project what the salary cap will be this coming offseason but it seems likely the Pelicans will consider using the stretch provision on Eric Gordon to create cap space. Currently between Davis, Jrue, Tyreke, Anderson and Gordon were at 53 million. It's likely that with roster charges and resigning Asik we'll be at or above the salary cap with only the MLE to give out.

It's possible the Pelicans will want to make a big move this offseason as it is the last season Davis will be on his bargain rookie contract.

By stretching Gordon the Pelicans can spread out his remaining 15.5 million cap hit over 3 years opening over 10 million in cap space, leaving the total without Asik at 41 million. That could be a max level cap slot, or Asik and a player like Draymond Green or two quality role players like Gerald Green and Demare Carroll.

So should the Pelicans eat the 3 year cap hit? I think they should at least consider it while talking to free agents this offseason. If Marc Gasol says he'd sign Wouldn't you stretch Gordon?
    66 mil cap next year. ..

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    66 mil cap next year. ..
    We know that? I thought the NBA hadn't decided about how to implement the TV deal. Also that's a smaller jump than last year. If that's the case id definitely make a move while salaries are reasonable signing a deal while the cap is at 66 million will look like a bargain when the cap jumps to 80 or possibly even 90 million.

I could see Asik and Gerald Green. ..But Durant, that's the longest of long shots.....that money could be spent to upgrade a suspect bench. .
    Durant, AD, Jrue, Reke, Ryno. We don't need to much of a bench with that haha

I'm talking if we renounce Asik. It was implied. I'm also not sure what Asik's Cap hold will look like, his contract is rather unique, but I assumed his hold operated off 3 year bird free agent with 8 million the previous year and thought his hold would be about the same cost as resigning him. Obviously in the event we go after a max FA we would renounce Asik as well as all the other Pelies to open up space.

You also have to keep in mind Davis will likely qualify for the Rose rule if we are still under the same CBA and will be very expensive that offseason. Also no way we can keep Asik and Gordon and pull Gerald Green. I don't know if Gerald Green is only a mid level guy in a sellers market.
    It was reported last week that the Pelicans were interested in J. Green. That's a sign Dell is willing to spend in the 9 plus range for a SF......That's very encouraging IMO. ..

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think we will see dell trade gordon and Ryno possibly. I don't see rivers, gordon or Ryno on this team after next year's trade deadline.

Another thought I have is what can Asik command salary-wise? I wouldn't pay him 11 or 12 mil. I would rather let him go and get gordon off the books for us to have a shot at getting gasol. I don't see us getting Durant.

Also, could we resign asik and potentially sign draymond green, jimmy butler, or Gerald green? I'm sure Gerald green is realistic being an UFA. Our roster problems are annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who knows what Asik will command. If I had to guess it would be around Gortat's new deal.

Gerald Green seems like a solid option. There's another thread where we listed basically all the SF that were available this summer. Draymond and Jimmy aren't realistic unless we make some moves.

I also don't see it realistic just letting Asik walk. We need a big C and the good ones aren't just out there for free. I think people greatly underestimate their value. If an over 30 Gortat can get that deal Asik will command as much, unless he just wants to come cheap.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-25-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Dude, what if Pel's do the stretch thing with E-Gordon, sign Jimmy Butler to the near-max contract he wants in the offseason and for some reason Bulls don't match or work out a sign-n-trade, then re-sign Asik.

Asik/ Ajinca/ Withey
    Davis/ Anderson
    Butler/ Cunningham/ Babbitt
    'Reke/ Rivers
    Holiday/ Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Dude, what if Pel's do the stretch thing with E-Gordon, sign Jimmy Butler to the near-max contract he wants in the offseason and for some reason Bulls don't match or work out a sign-n-trade, then re-sign Asik.

Asik/ Ajinca/ Withey
    Davis/ Anderson
    Butler/ Cunningham/ Babbitt
    'Reke/ Rivers
    Holiday/ Smith
    Can't happen because to offer that much we would have to drop Asik's Birds rights.

Can't happen because to offer that much we would have to drop Asik's Birds rights.
    I would gladly drop Asik's rights if I knew Butler was as good as ours. I think DeAndre Jordan would be interesting for the Pelicans if they decided to try a new center to anchor the defense. He's 2 years Asik's junior. I'd rather him if it only cost us 2 million or so more.

I would gladly drop Asik's rights if I knew Butler was as good as ours. I think DeAndre Jordan would be interesting for the Pelicans if they decided to try a new center to anchor the defense. He's 2 years Asik's junior. I'd rather him if it only cost us 2 million or so more.
    How exactly are we suppose to get Jordan? We don't have the cap for him after signing Butler.

Gortat got 4yr 50 mil....Can't see Asik getting more than that

Gasol and ad is the best front court evaaaaa

How exactly are we suppose to get Jordan? We don't have the cap for him after signing Butler.
    Separate statement.

If we stretched gordon and renounced asik and signed gasol would we still have the mle to use for a sf?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If we stretched gordon and renounced asik and signed gasol would we still have the mle to use for a sf?
    No.

If Asik decides to leave...I would go after Kosta Koufos...

Gortat got 4yr 50 mil....Can't see Asik getting more than that
    There is no way Asik should get that much, if anyone offers that I'll let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    There is no way Asik should get that much, if anyone offers that I'll let him walk.
    Big men will always get paid. People need to come to terms with either AD playing most of his minutes at C or playing for a starter level C.

Here's the list of FA centers. If you're restricted you can basically cross them off. So that leaves Gasol, Deandre, and Asik in the top half. You gotta assume Memphis and LAC offer enough to not break up their core and resign both. People don't like Asik because of his offense but he's going to be one of the top C FA's. He is kinda having his best year. 10m+ should be expected and 12m/yr is a safe bet.

People are stuck thinking about these contracts with how the cap currently is, not how its going to be after next season.

Thread Information