Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NP Pistons release Josh Smith!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Yall are all being prisoners of the moment. I'm sure A LOT of the critics of Josh Smith, were folks who were critical of Rudy Gay, but would take Rudy Gay in a heartbeat now. Some folks go back and forth from game to game on Jrue and Tyreke. It's silly.

If Josh Smith goes to Houston or Dallas, it instantly makes those teams better, which isn't a good thing for the Pelicans. Hell, I'd want him just to keep him away from them! He's basically a taller version of Iguodala. And I bet I can find evidence of some of the same folks crapping on Smith, saying they'd want Iguodala if we could get him.

This team doesn't have enough talent to not be interested in Josh Smith. Anyone ready to argue that he wouldn't be better than Salmons? Or be a better use of a roster spot than Jimmer?

Smith can be useful to our team but AD Asik and Smith trio can't start or even play together . They don't have enough spacing . It may work if we put AD on center position but he doesn't want to play at center .

I think smith will choose between dallas and houston , it will be a perfect fit for them . I don't think it will be a huge concern for us because there is no way that we can finish this season ahead of mavs or rockets
    Last edited by moon54; 12-22-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Yall are all being prisoners of the moment. I'm sure A LOT of the critics of Josh Smith, were folks who were critical of Rudy Gay, but would take Rudy Gay in a heartbeat now. Some folks go back and forth from game to game on Jrue and Tyreke. It's silly.

If Josh Smith goes to Houston or Dallas, it instantly makes those teams better, which isn't a good thing for the Pelicans. Hell, I'd want him just to keep him away from them! He's basically a taller version of Iguodala. And I bet I can find evidence of some of the same folks crapping on Smith, saying they'd want Iguodala if we could get him.

This team doesn't have enough talent to not be interested in Josh Smith. Anyone ready to argue that he wouldn't be better than Salmons? Or be a better use of a roster spot than Jimmer?
    Sure he's better than Salmons. ....But Salmons isn't a team cancer like Smith.....24% career shooter from 3...and you better believe he'll continue to chuck 3's up wherever his lands.....yes he has talent, but so much baggage comes with it. .....IMO
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 12-22-2014 at 03:11 PM.

I think this is a perfect fit for Houston. They could use a good PF to play outside with Howard playing more inside. Maybe he will be their poor mans Chris Bosh.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Sure he's better than Salmons. ....But Salmons isn't a team cancer like Smith.....24% career shooter from 3...and you better believe he'll continue to chuck 3's up wherever his lands.....yes he has talent, but so much baggage comes with it. .....IMO
    What are we going to do? Offer him 5yr at vet minimum? Lol. Even if we got him (which is highly doubtful) it would be for the rest of this year or at most a 2nd year as well.

Smith makes us better. We would be silly to turn him down if he were actually interested.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Dallas gets Rondo for scraps. Houston gets Josh Smith for free. Spurs are the Spurs. Memphis is 21-6.

Merry Christmas, Pelicans Fans!

So Jeff Bower #@! $*^ another franchise!!!!!!

I don't really care for smith, but as someone else said we don't have the talent/depth to not inquire. That being said I don't think we should offer much of anything to him. I would be more interested to sign whoever Houston drops to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes. Apparently so. News seems to be they will pay his full amount this year and then stretch his 2yr/26m. He will count for just over 5m/yr for the next 5 years. This all changes some whenever he signs with another team as that will mitigate some of Detroit's cost but who knows to what extent.
    Nope, Detroit is only off the hook if someone claims his contract on the waiver wire. If he falls through that (he will because only PHI can absorb his current contract), he then becomes a free agent.

Whatever FA deal he signs gets him money in addition to what DET is paying him with the stretch provision. DET would still be on the hook for the full stretch provision regardless of what FA contract he took.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Nope, Detroit is only off the hook if someone claims his contract on the waiver wire. If he falls through that (he will because only PHI can absorb his current contract), he then becomes a free agent.

Whatever FA deal he signs gets him money in addition to what DET is paying him with the stretch provision. DET would still be on the hook for the full stretch provision regardless of what FA contract he took.
    Come on buddy. This is well tread territory here.

Larry Coon's CBA FAQ. Question 66,

"If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead)."

I'm pretty sure that's for amnesty. Stretch provision should be different.

Come on buddy. This is well tread territory here.

Larry Coon's CBA FAQ. Question 66,

"If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead)."
    So if we stretch Gordon and his 15M over 3 years (5M a year) and he signs another contract for 5M in year one does this mean that he theoretically will not be on the books that year and only year two and three?

NP Pistons release Josh Smith!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's for amnesty. Stretch provision should be different.
    Uh. Do you even know what amnesty is? The whole point of amnesty is that it doesn't have ANY dead money on the team.

The stretch provision is just like any other way (non amnesty way) of waiving a player. If he is picked up the cost is off set. Read my quote or read the CBA FAQ. It's very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So if we stretch Gordon and his 15M over 3 years (5M a year) and he signs another contract for 5M in year one does this mean that he theoretically will not be on the books that year and only year two and three?
    No. As the CBA FAQ points out, the amount you can offset is limited to 1/2 the difference between the newly signed contract and a 1 year vet minimum salary.

Here's the example they give.

"For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $1 million contract with another team for the 2011-12 season, his original team gets to set off $1 million minus $762,195 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2011-12), divided by two, or $118,902. The team is still responsible for paying $4,881,098 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $5,881,098, which was more than he earned prior to being waived."
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-22-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Uh. Do you even know what amnesty is? The whole point of amnesty is that it doesn't have ANY dead money on the team.

The stretch provision is just like any other way (non amnesty way) of waiving a player. If he is picked up the cost is off set. Read my quote or read the CBA FAQ. It's very clear.

No. As the CBA FAQ points out, the amount you can offset is limited to 1/2 the difference between the newly signed contract and a 1 year vet minimum salary.

Here's the example they give.

"For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $1 million contract with another team for the 2011-12 season, his original team gets to set off $1 million minus $762,195 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2011-12), divided by two, or $118,902. The team is still responsible for paying $4,881,098 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $5,881,098, which was more than he earned prior to being waived."
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Thanks mate
    Np. It would reduce our amount owed if we did it. However because of the large cap increase in 2 years I don't see that as an option. We want to have that extra 5m off the books.

Np. It would reduce our amount owed if we did it. However because of the large cap increase in 2 years I don't see that as an option. We want to have that extra 5m off the books.
    I honestly hope we don’t make any changes.
    I’d rather leave the team the way it is…..maybe add a vet PG with the open roster spot.
    I’d rather see what we have with this current team this season and not make the playoffs, than make a trade and lose a key piece just to be knocked out in the first round.

This guy is one of the very few people to be in the below 40, 30 and 50 club.
    Meaning he has a fg% below 40, 3pt percentage below 30 and FT percentage below 50..
    And he will help our team? lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Meaning he has a fg% below 40, 3pt percentage below 30 and FT percentage below 50..
    If he couldn't help teams then contenders wouldn't be fighting over him.

He would work very well in Miami.

As long as he stays in the east I couldn't care less where he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I think you're ignoring a few aspects of his game by just looking at his percentages. He was in a terrible situation in Detroit, who had some of the worst spacing in the league. Also, allowing he and Davis to roam together defensively would be scary for any opposing team. If we decided to bring him off the bench, I think you could definitely play a Cunningham-Anderson-Smith frontcourt, and get away with it. I think his athleticism would be welcomed on our team just as Cunningham's was.

By no means am I saying that he is the perfect player for this team, nor am I saying that he is the fix at SF or that he should even start. But I do believe that we should definitely give him a call and offer him a deal. An asset is an asset, and we've seen what Dell can do with assets. There is really no risk in signing a guy to a minimum deal at this point, but there could be high reward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smith is garbage. I'd be pissed if we signed him.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Now Memphis is interested. Everyone in our division wants the guy.

Mekel and Smith waived within days of each other.

Coincidence?

What are we going to do? Offer him 5yr at vet minimum? Lol. Even if we got him (which is highly doubtful) it would be for the rest of this year or at most a 2nd year as well.

Smith makes us better. We would be silly to turn him down if he were actually interested.
    So where would we play him ?...........Keep in mind he's a horrible 3 point shooter

Thread Information