Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread: Pelicans @ Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I'm not the one coming up with excuses to justify my love of being negative after a win like you.

People only point out the negative. No one here mentions Holiday's 15 assists and 4 steals. No one mentions the beatiful play by Ajinca in the 2nd quarter. No one mentions how we only had 9 TOs all game. No one mentions how we won this game getting out shout by 14 at the FT line even though we shot just as many shots at the rim. No one mentions the absolute clutch block Asik had on Westbrook at the end of the game. No one mentions the absolute ridculous steal Holiday had on Russ that turned out to be the game winner. Lastly, no one mentions the 3 big lineup monty deployed at just the right time to hold the Thunder scoreless for the final 3:46 of the game.

Instead we point to the +/- of our starters and bench. Like why?

By the way, our starters out scored the Thunder's starters 67-66, and bench won the battle 34-33.

Everyone of your posts read like an over emotional fan that is a game-by-game fan instead of being invested in the season and the decades of seasons to come.
    Did you not read my post? Apparently not because I peppered it with plenty praise. But it was an overall bad performance.

And to rant for a second....

I am really getting sick and tired of this attitude moderating around here(not just from you). Are you putting some premium on eternal optimism or something? This is a .500 team. We aren't GS. This isn't a bunch of irrational fans nit-picking a championship team on a 10-2 w/l run. People complain not out of hate, but love. We love our team and want to see them get better. Some fans live in a bubble of eternal optimism. Some fans bandwagon on and off because they don't like the stress of losing. Some fans like to analyze coaching. Some fans like analyzing playcalling. Some like to look for areas the team can improve. Some like to point out all the positives and not dwell on negatives. Some like just watching and cheering.

Who are all these people on here that think they have a monopoly on knowing how a fan should be acting and feel entitled enough to tell people their posts - when well within the realm of the code of conduct and done in a respectable manner - that there opinion should be ostracized and invalidated because of the perceived tone of their posts? Or that such a label justifies ad hominem attacks on the poster in question who's attitude you feel doesnt fit you criteria for validation.
    Everyone of your posts read like an over emotional fan that is a game-by-game fan instead of being invested in the season and the decades of seasons to come.
    Then you don't read my posts. Considering I'm the guy who has been constantly harping for years that this team needs to be built for the marathon, not the sprint. Which is how ownership and Demps have ran things since acquiring AD. Or how everyone of my posts that criticize is typically qualified with acknowledging their season(or career) performance and weighing things against that.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 11:05 PM.

I'm not the one coming up with excuses to justify my love of being negative after a win like you.

People only point out the negative. No one here mentions Holiday's 15 assists and 4 steals. No one mentions the beatiful play by Ajinca in the 2nd quarter. No one mentions how we only had 9 TOs all game. No one mentions how we won this game getting out shout by 14 at the FT line even though we shot just as many shots at the rim. No one mentions the absolute clutch block Asik had on Westbrook at the end of the game. No one mentions the absolute ridculous steal Holiday had on Russ that turned out to be the game winner. Lastly, no one mentions the 3 big lineup monty deployed at just the right time to hold the Thunder scoreless for the final 3:46 of the game.

Instead we point to the +/- of our starters and bench. Like why?

By the way, our starters out scored the Thunder's starters 67-66, and bench won the battle 34-33.

Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Did you not read my post? Apparently not because I peppered it with plenty praise. But it was an overall bad performance.

I am really getting sick and tired of this attitude moderating around here(not just from you). Are you putting some premium on eternal optimism or something? This is a .500 team. We aren't GS. This isn't a bunch of irrational fans nit-picking a championship team on a 10-2 w/l run. People complain not out of hate, but love. We love our team and want to see them get better. Some fans live in a bubble of eternal optimism. Some fans bandwagon on and off because they don't like the stress of losing. Some fans like to analyze coaching. Some fans like analyzing playcalling. Some like to look for areas the team can improve. Some like to point out all the positives and not dwell on negatives. Some like just watching and cheering.

Who are all these people on here that think they have a monopoly on knowing how a fan should be acting and feel entitled enough to tell people their expressions - when well within the realm of the code of conduct and done in a respectable manner - they shouldn't post the way they do?

Then you don't read my posts. Considering I'm the guy who has been constantly harping for years that this team needs to be built for the marathon, not the sprint. Which is how ownership and Demps have ran things since acquiring AD. Or how everyone of my posts that criticize is typically qualified with acknowledging their season(or multiple seasons) performance and weighing things against that.
    It gets old when your game day posts are constantly only harping on negatives even when the team is playing well and winning (not claiming tonight), but there have been times where you go out of your way to blast Tyreke even when he is having a good game or the team as a whole is playing well off Tyreke. It's not that I don't want you to post, but you're impossible to have a conversation with when you come into a discussion with only hate, love as you call it, for a player, coach, or playcall.

That's all I'm saying. As fans we are all emotional, but if we are going to be an educated fan base, we have to discuss the positives as much as the negatives because you can learn just as much from both. I'm just tired of the board in general not giving equal focus to the good things this team is doing.

Does that at all clear up my stance? I hope it does.

---------------------------

As far as the team build comment, I don't see how acquiring 10 players under 26(not including Davis) is rushing it. The one big mistake is Eric Gordon, but without him being injured we don't even get AD, so it's whatever in my book. lol
    Last edited by Inner_GI; 12-21-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    1) Jrue, Tyreke, Ryno, AD, Asik
    2) Jrue, Tyreke, Cunningham, Ryno, AD
    3) Jrue, Tyreke, Babbitt, Ryno, AD
    I literally LOL'd

Who are all these people on here that think they have a monopoly on knowing how a fan should be acting and feel entitled enough to tell people their posts - when well within the realm of the code of conduct and done in a respectable manner - that there opinion should be ostracized and invalidated because of the perceived tone of their posts? Or that such a label justifies ad hominem attacks on the poster in question who's attitude you feel doesnt fit you criteria for validation.

Then you don't read my posts. Considering I'm the guy who has been constantly harping for years that this team needs to be built for the marathon, not the sprint. Which is how ownership and Demps have ran things since acquiring AD. Or how everyone of my posts that criticize is typically qualified with acknowledging their season(or career) performance and weighing things against that.
    I agree with some of what u say but to say this game was overall a bad performance is not true at all. We hustled hard out there tonIght on the defensive side of the ball. Reke frustrates the hell out of me too but I love the win tonight. Mainly cause Reke nor holiday had a good scoring night but we still beat 1 of the better teams in the NBA on the road.

Also as far as people pointing out bad things or negative things when we win is better than only pointing them out when we lose and acting like everything is great when we win. It actually shows the person isn't nitpicking at things just cause we lost.

Actually we are number 1

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/rank...hedule-by-team

It gets old when your game day posts are constantly only harping on negatives even when the team is playing well and winning (not claiming tonight), but there have been times where you go out of your way to blast Tyreke even when he is having a good game or the team as a whole is playing well off Tyreke. It's not that I don't want you to post, but you're impossible to have a conversation with when you come into a discussion with only hate, love as you call it, for a player, coach, or playcall.

That's all I'm saying. As fans we are all emotional, but if we are going to be an educated fan base, we have to discuss the positives as much as the negatives because you can learn just as much from both. I'm just tired of the board in general not giving equal focus to the good things this team is doing.

Does that at all clear up my stance? I hope it does.
    You only see the negatives because you and a handful of others on this board have made it your duty to snuff out any criticism that doesnt pass your arbitrary and ever-shifting metric of what is acceptable. Which mostly just applies to Tyreke Evans for some reason.

But this attack the poster to dismiss the post seems to have become the modus operandi around these parts. Instead of actually engaging in the points people bring up, it seems the go-to move is to try and assert the poster harbors some sort of irrational hatred, then using that association to dismiss the point they make. without ever actually addressing the arguments themselves.

How many responses have you made so far and not a single one actually talks about any of the points I have made? In the future if you want a conversation, try by actually discussing what is being talked about instead of how much you dislike the person you are speaking to.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree with some of what u say but to say this game was overall a bad performance is not true at all. We hustled hard out there tonIght on the defensive side of the ball. Reke frustrates the hell out of me too but I love the win tonight. Mainly cause Reke nor holiday had a good scoring night but we still beat 1 of the better teams in the NBA on the road.
    I felt the bad outweighed the good overall. I don't see it as the scale being tipped way in one direction or the other. If I were doing 1 - 100 I would say it was 52% bad, 48% good. We did a lot of good, I mentioned that. Mostly AD and the bench and then Jrue down the stretch.

But I can understand where you are coming from also.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.

You only see the negatives because you and a handful of others on this board have made it your duty to snuff out any criticism that doesnt pass your arbitrary and ever-shifting metric of what is acceptable. Which mostly just applies to Tyreke Evans for some reason.

But this attack the poster to dismiss the post seems to have become the modus operandi around these parts. Instead of actually engaging in the points people bring up, it seems the go-to move is to try and assert the poster harbors some sort of irrational hatred, then using that association to dismiss the point they make. without ever actually addressing the arguments themselves.

How many responses have you made so far and not a single one actually talks about any of the points I have made?
    I'm just going to walk away man. I'm not sure you are making points (even though I responded directly to your last post), and I'm trying to let you know why people attack your posts. Thought I was being nice. We as a fan base have to get better at recognizing positive progress because we are already top notch in finding the negatives in others.

Have a great Holiday season.

Do you watch basketball at all man? Gotta like Roberson on Reke iso?? Lol..good lord. I mean Roberson didn't shut him down all game or nothing. smdh ..Roberson is an above average defender with great length.
    Alright admittedly i was waiting for some comments like this to pounce on but let's go ahead on this.

I don't know basketball at all. Let's start there. Shall we give the ball to Jrue on Westbrook then? Or how about AD in an ISO against Serge Ibaka. In Fact, who out there isn't an "above average defender with great length? I'm not saying I'm happy with the result but I'll take, in theory, tyreke driving to the rim against Roberson than the other options. You can complain about a bad result or poor execution, but you can't argue that that's not just as good a match up as the other 2. Oh and tyreke was 6-14 at the time, not sure "shut down" is the right word.

Now are you actually watching? Because you wrote 500 words about money sucking yet you failed to mention, or notice, the fact that subbing in the 3 big lineup went from us being completely porous to holding them to 0-11 to end the game. Since you were so focused on the strategy and not ball watching at all right?

Again, if you watch basketball and think that that was the play monty wrote on the clipboard you're delusional. I have no doubt that the call was a pnr with Reke initiating the offense. Each basketball play has 5 OPTIONS. monty waved it off at about 5 second left on the play, he didn't make Reke dribble out a play that's designed to start at the 9-ish second mark.

I don't mind you disagreeing but you should make sure you're solid before you ask others if they even watch basketball.

Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 11:40 PM.

I'm just going to walk away man. I'm not sure you are making points (even though I responded directly to your last post), and I'm trying to let you know why people attack your posts. Thought I was being nice. We as a fan base have to get better at recognizing positive progress because we are already top notch in finding the negatives in others.

Have a great Holiday season.
    You took my response that pertained to the game and basketball and immediately started your follow up with an attack on me personally.

On this very page.

Maybe over the holiday you can learn how to respectfully speak to people.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Just got finished watching game. Love that we won of course, BUT I have to say I've never been more ANGRY with this coach and tyreke evans, anyone watching this game knows what I'm talking bout. I'm so sick of watching this cat jack up bad shot after bad shot. Good frekin lord. They were up 2 for how many possessions without DAVIS getting a shot??? I mean good lord that crap is ridicUlous. Especially that last horrible jump shot where I saw MONTY call of DAVIS for Reke to play hero ball. Good lord this team will not go far with these 2 bone heads on this team. They are blessed to have DAVIS cleaning up their mess constantly. I've really seen enough of REKE and MONTY. I couldn't care less if Reke will get us a 25-30 pt 10asst and 7rb game once a month. He has a bb iq of a frog. Rant over. Good lord I've never been so upset watching a win before. Btw holiday is just a beast and is really coming into his own on This team. Love his play on both ends.
    Be careful what you say here bro, you will be called out for having "low basketball IQ" and you will be considered negative. U have to except everything here as fine or you will be a "troll". I totally agree with you. This is getting out of hand. This team lacks discipline and proper structure. Monty will is not the answer. Idc if we get into the playoffs, this team needs a new system and attitude. Players need to know their damn place. This is AD team.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I think these are based solely off of opponent win pct. When you consider the amount of .500+ plus teams Pelicans have had to play on the road, it's even more daunting. And it's not even over yet and won't be for a while.

That said, this team is frustrating to watch. Should still be at least 15-12 right now.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Alright admittedly i was waiting for some comments like this to pounce on but let's go ahead on this.

I don't know basketball at all. Let's start there. Shall we give the ball to Jrue on Westbrook then? Or how about AD in an ISO against Serge Ibaka. In Fact, who out there isn't an "above average defender with great length? I'm not saying I'm happy with the result but I'll take, in theory, tyreke driving to the rim against Roberson than the other options. You can complain about a bad result or poor execution, but you can't argue that that's not just as good a match up as the other 2. Oh and tyreke was 6-14 at the time, not sure "shut down" is the right word.

Now are you actually watching? Because you wrote 500 words about money sucking yet you failed to mention, or notice, the fact that subbing in the 3 big lineup went from us being completely porous to holding them to 0-11 to end the game. Since you were so focused on the strategy and not ball watching at all right?

Again, if you watch basketball and think that that was the play monty wrote on the clipboard you're delusional. I have no doubt that the call was a pnr with Reke initiating the offense. Each basketball play has 5 OPTIONS. monty waved it off at about 5 second left on the play, he didn't make Reke dribble out a play that's designed to start at the 9-ish second mark.

I don't mind you disagreeing but you should make sure you're solid before you ask others if they even watch basketball.
    I know this sounds crazy but just Imagine that we actually DRAW UP A PLAY that moves the ball around!!!!! WOW!!!! I know that is asinine and dangerous but doesn't sound too bad ey? Especially considering the last 3 plays we had chance to make it a 2 score game!!! Especially considering the last 2-3 times down the court we ran ISO as well!!!! And guess what?? It didn't work!!! U know what the Definition is of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is?? Yes u do I won't answer,.and for if that is what MONTY drew up on the clip board?? Yes that is cause u must of missed the first 18 seconds of the play cause I see u keep referencing the last 6 seconds as if Reke was put in a bad spot at the end of the shot clock. So, I'll tell u what the first 18 seconds was, Reke standing at top of the key dribbling!!! So, yes that is what MONTY drew up like DAVIS himself said.....as for your other options?? yes give me holiday over westbrook in ISO any day over Reke on Roberson. Know why? Holiday is taller than his defender and a MUCH better shooter than reke. Also, know why?? Opposing players have the lowest fg % when going against Roberson IN THE ENTIRE NBA!!! Know what that means? Again I'm sure u do I wont answer. Just FYI..I always give this team credit and aint always negative but I will point out garbage basketball when it happens win or lose. GAME OVER, Have a good night.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 12-21-2014 at 11:59 PM.

There's a few posters on here being very hypocritical. If I felt like it I could go find many diff posts where that said poster is hollering about fire MONTY, trade Reke and all that other Jazz. Lol..now we win and they are claiming to be the positive Patsy's harping on the posters for pointing MANY negatives and flaws in those guys. Whatever tho.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think these are based solely off of opponent win pct. When you consider the amount of .500+ plus teams Pelicans have had to play on the road, it's even more daunting. And it's not even over yet and won't be for a while.

That said, this team is frustrating to watch. Should still be at least 15-12 right now.
    Lol getting butthurt over one solitary win.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Lol getting butthurt over one solitary win.
    Did you mean one solitary loss? Why yes. I seem to know about the conference we play in.

Even if 15-12, still a frustrating team to watch.

This

This

I learn't something today.
    Don't watch the play by play on ESPN while at work and make comments based on what other's say on this forum.
    I just finished watching the game, but TBH I don't think the team played that bad.
    The defense was awesome in the last 5 minutes and if wasn't for that ugly brick shot Tyreke put up that missed the ring the rest of the game was pretty fair.

regarding the final play, it was clearly to slow things down, there was sweet f all movement from anyone not named Anthony Davis. don't think Monty should have waved AD off though. reke gets the ball from Jrue @ halfway around 16 seconds left on shot clock. it then takes all of 5 seconds for Asik and Jrue to walk to their spots. so 11 seconds left. around 7 second mark is the AD waved screen. as reke moves towards the rim, jrue shimmies around 3pt line a little, but not a lot of movement from anyone bar AD for the whole set. once the screen got waved off by monty, only real options were reke drive into traffic, shoot, or try and pass to Jrue or Dante for a long shot. all options were pretty ****, and it was a pretty crap run by everyone. think we can all agree on that.

I can put my hand up and say I have had a go at the negativity and whinging that goes on. I have no problem what so ever with people critiquing plays/players/coaches. Especially if there is some suggestive posting to go with it on how to do it better. I find general negative comments with no actual body the parts we can lose. a paragraph that goes up and down in language about how **** [x] is with no real contribution to how he is differently **** than the last time someone said he was **** just annoys me. single bad play in first quarter - 15 posts about how **** [x] is. play good ball for an entire quarter, no mention of [x] improvements of behaviors. we are what, 26 games into our season, and the negative issues by [x] is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. feel free to enter any player or coach in as [x]. Personally, only one person in particular has really driven me up the wall with their negativity, everyone else's I have found somewhat tolerable. And when that said person wasn't around I thought all was pretty good.
    Last edited by billfromfinance; 12-22-2014 at 02:56 AM.

Basketball discussion: good.
    Discussion of other posters: boring.

Asik's defense was phenomenal in the last few minutes. He kept their guards from scoring in the paint. That was the difference maker. I was unhappy to see him exit on the last shot, but it worked out for us....
    Both Tyreke and Davis took a ton of contact that was not whistled. Meanwhile, Westbrook starts running toward the basket and the referees are taking a deep breath....
    I'm a big Withey supporter, but Ajinca has made such strides these past two games I'm not sure which guy to favor. Withey is a less extreme version of Asik that can be used when the opposing center is not powerful, and Ajinca is a bankrupt dude's AD.
    Our SF depth chart (while EG is out) seems to be Cunningham, Anderson, then Babbitt, even though Babbitt is starting. Cunningham has to be the best FA pickup the Hornicans have made in a long while. If he maintains this level of performance we have one of the required pieces to make a nice run.
    Not sure how to end our habit of wasting the first 15 seconds of late-game possessions. Many of us are frustrated when it happens, and Tyreke is by no means alone in this. Jrue and Austin are just as guilty when they (rarely) are in that position. That is why Gal Mekel was so popular despite his horrendous shooting. He seemed to initiate better offense early in the clock. We need to have several drives to the basket per possession in order to harvest a good one. The odds of a single drive disrupting the defense and resulting in a good shot opportunity are 1/10 of the odds created by multiple drives and kicks.

Isos are generally used at end of games because there is less of a chance of a live ball turnover (leading to an easy transition score by the other team). It is the most reliable way to get a shot up, as long as you have a guy capable of beating his man.

Doesn't excuse the lack of a pick, imo, unless they were just absolutely terrified of Ibaka blowing it up.

Thread Information