Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread: Pelicans @ Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    BUt we won, and we still here this. This team is such an improvement over last year, and people are not happy because we don't play like the Spurs or Warriors. They expect a magical switch to flip and we all of suddent turn into a 50-60 win team.
    I said I wasn't sure before but now I am. I definitely would rather talk about the Pels on PR when we suck. It was so much more fun last year when no one but actual, informed fans were participating. I wish we could require some basic certificate in basketball GAME knowledge (Plays and options and the like. NOT playing GM, NOT watching the ball or basing every statement on whatever's a "hot topic"). I'm wayyyy too young to sound like an old man but it's the goddamn twitter generation man. No one's a fan for a season. They're a fan for a game, then re-up for the next (but first they qualify their fandom with idiotic negativity). I realize now I sound negative, I blame the youth.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That's the last time I trust SIRi with anything. I've been watching Marco Polo all night...TOTALLY MISSED A DAMN GAME!

*sigh* I've had better Sundays...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That's the last time I trust SIRi with anything. I've been watching Marco Polo all night...TOTALLY MISSED A DAMN GAME!

*sigh* I've had better Sundays...
    I would've been in your boat but Joel's booming voice saying "they'll forget about it quick" that stuck right in my head and saved me.

Who wants to make money with an App. If Joel broadcasted my to-do list everyday id remember a whole lot more.

All that says to me is "I don't have anything to back up my statement, so I'll just say OKC didnt have Durant."

You are acting like having a bench unit that can resuce a game is a bad thing. Ask the Spurs how they feel about that? Their bench is one of the best at coming in an energizing the entire team to pick it up. The team can't player perfect every game, and going up 2-0 on OKC when we will be fitting for the final playoff spot is huge.

Why don't you acknowledge the pure genius move of Monty goin Ryno, AD, Asik to force Westbrook into those long 3s (which he hasn't been hitting recently). That's good coaching and good scouting. I'm taking the win.
    Over the last 10 games, the Pelicans have only won the first quarter in two out of the 10 games, with seven losses and one tie. That is 2-7-1. Yet the Pelicans are 6-4 in those games. Monty plays the starters for most of the 1st quarter. The Pelicans have won the 2nd quarter 8 out of 10 times in those games.

Common sense says you start your most effective lineup. Does anyone actually think it's good strategy to give a team a lead to start the game and then try to fight back? That is the hardest way to play basketball.

Monty usually closes games with a more effective lineup than he starts the game with.

As for acknowledging Monty, I would have if he tried starting the game or the 3rd quarter with a different lineup.

As for positives, the assist to turnover ratio was very good.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 12-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Over the last 10 games, the Pelicans have only won the first quarter in two out of the 10 games, with seven losses and one tie. That is 2-7-1. Yet the Pelicans are 6-4 in those games. Monty plays the starters for most of the 1st quarter. The Pelicans have won the 2nd quarter 8 out of 10 times in those games.

Common sense says you start your most effective lineup. Does anyone actually think it's good strategy to give a team a lead to start the game and then try to fight back? That is the hardest way to play basketball.

Monty usually closes games with a more effective lineup than he starts the game with.

As for acknowledging Monty, I would have if he tried starting the game or the 3rd quarter with a different lineup.

so I'm on your page here, who are you saying should be in the starting lineup?

Yes, we start slow (25th in the league in 1st quarter scoring), but we are 4th in 2nd quarter scoring, 9th in the league in 3rd quarter scoring, and 8th in 4th quarter scoring.

As you can see it's not the lineup, and it's not even the coaching. The players just start games poorly. I doubt Monty tells the guys anything different in the other 3 quarters that all of sudden makes us a top 10 team. It's not on Monty, it's about the players playing within the system, and being ready to play.

And to take it one step farther, our point margin by quarter:

1st: -1.4 (22nd)
    2nd: +2.2 (5th)
    3rd: +0.8 (11th)
    4th: -1.4 (23rd)

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Following his logic it should be Anderson because he closed the game at that position. I honestly no mind babbit at the starting 3. I actually wish babbit got a few more looks to start a game. Would totally open it up later if he hit 1 or 2 shots to start.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzmanD View Post
    I still cannot believe I heard Davis say that in the interview, tell your best player to back off? Don't try to use your best player to win the game? How can anyone continue to support and defend this man as being a head coach in this league? Demps and Monty are budget hires by George Shinn who was about to go bankrupt. So what does good ole Tom do? He gives Monty a new 5 year deal when he just bought the team.
    You know who's really to blame for these past games and our struggles? RUSS SMITH!... I don't know how anyone in East America could think this guy is fit to be a 13th man. He was only brought in because Dell knew Pierre was gonna get injured.... WE'RE Healthy now man, get it together. Just when he finally got demoted to where he belongs, Dell brings him RIGHT BACK UP probably because Benson's top aide is Smith's Uncle. Who does he think he is? I'll tell you right now he's sitting on the bench, calling Monty an idiot, flaunting his National CHampionship... what a surprise we only go 1-1 against 2 good teams. GET HIM OUTTA THERE!!

See....... I can make S*** up too.

Yes, we start slow (25th in the league in 1st quarter scoring), but we are 4th in 2nd quarter scoring, 9th in the league in 3rd quarter scoring, and 8th in 4th quarter scoring.

As you can see it's not the lineup, and it's not even the coaching. The players just start games poorly. I doubt Monty tells the guys anything different in the other 3 quarters that all of sudden makes us a top 10 team. It's not on Monty, it's about the players playing within the system, and being ready to play.

I wonder how often we lose the tip. that could be the entire difference.

Tyreke with a brick instead of dagger lol. We one, but still, that was ugly.

I am glad were back over .500 but this is a different game with Durant in it. This team still got a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    I'm getting a chuckle reading Thunder fans' responses and how similar they are to some people on here:

"The way this game ended is a great example of how we strictly rely on our talent to win in the closing minutes, rather than actually drawing up an offensive play. "

"Its getting really hard to support this team when they use a system that so clearly lacks effectiveness. Such a waste of talent right now. Chucking shots for days and playing little to no defense cause we assume our offense will carry us. Just embarrassing."

"How is Scott Brooks still a coach in the NBA. Embarrassing. "

"AD had like 5 lobs and 5 wide open jumpers. Awful ****ing D"

:Ahh, the old Russell "Make you throw your remote through your TV" Westbrook.:

"If we don't make the playoffs I will have Scott Brooks' head"
    See, we aren't the only board with these sorts of concerns about their team.

Rusty is their Tyreke
    Last edited by Perth_Hornet; 12-21-2014 at 10:12 PM.

just realized... the last points of the game (AD's dunk after Jrue dove near mid-court for the steal) was w/ 2:58 left

the last 3:00 of the game was basically scoreless
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Following his logic it should be Anderson because he closed the game at that position. I honestly no mind babbit at the starting 3. I actually wish babbit got a few more looks to start a game. Would totally open it up later if he hit 1 or 2 shots to start.
    haha I didn't want to assume, but itsrynostime always campaigning for Ryno I'm happy with babbitts performances so far as well. For who he is, he is playing alright. like you said, just needs a few more looks sometimes. some games gets a bunch early and delivers, others he doesn't. verse portland he didn't get his first shot till the 3rd quarter I believe, that is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    See, we aren't the only board with these sorts of concerns about their team.

Rusty is their Tyreke

Haha exactly. I was going back and forth to myself saying "Da** it Tyreke!" "THANK YOU RUSS!"

Only looking at the last 10 games. The team is different minus Gordon and plus Cunningham.

For the last 10 games, the Pelicans are 4-6 in the 3rd quarter and 5-4-1 in the 4th quarter.

That further supports that the starting unit is ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    1) Jrue, Tyreke, Ryno, AD, Asik
    2) Jrue, Tyreke, Cunningham, Ryno, AD
    3) Jrue, Tyreke, Babbitt, Ryno, AD

So we won the 4th quarter by 7 and hold OKC to 18.

We played too much ISO? We assisted on 33 of our 43 made baskets!!! LIKE HOLY **** THAT'S GOOD.

Jrue didn't have his shot but 15 assists and 4 steals. I'll take that every day.

What is the point of looking at starters minus AD? If AD is our superstar he is supposed to carry the team, so when he does carry the team, it's a negative? WTF DO YOU WANT when everyone on this team is like 25 years or younger.

Winning on the road in this league should not be understated especially in a place this team hasn't won in 4 years.
    We did play too much iso. Way too much. Iso doesnt mean it can't lead to an assist. You are aware of that?

What is the point of looking at the other people besides AD? Is that a serious question?

This post read like a bunch of excuses. Calm down, no need for a meltdown to defend this .500 team. This isn't like we are GS fans criticizing their team in the face of success. There is A LOT that can be improved upon with this team.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Only looking at the last 10 games. The team is different minus Gordon and plus Cunningham.

The 3rd quarter for the last 10 games, the Pelicans are 4-6 in the 3rd quarter and 5-4-1 in the 4th quarter.

That further supports that the starting unit is ineffective.
    So you want to look at last 10 and I want to look at the season. I don't see why you would care about the last 10. Winning is all that matters, for some reason, we have to look good doing it I guess. Our starting lineup is fine, and our Bench is fine.

Who exactly would you start in the game that would improve on 6-4 in the last 10 while playing:

Clippers, Lakers, Knicks, Dallas, Cleveland, Golden State, Utah, Houston, Portland, and OKC.

If you told me we went 6-4 to start that stretch, I'd be more than happy. If I had to guess I would of thought 4-6 would be respectable.

Please educate this board on how to properly set a NBA starting lineup.

I'm getting a chuckle reading Thunder fans' responses and how similar they are to some people on here:

"The way this game ended is a great example of how we strictly rely on our talent to win in the closing minutes, rather than actually drawing up an offensive play. "

"Its getting really hard to support this team when they use a system that so clearly lacks effectiveness. Such a waste of talent right now. Chucking shots for days and playing little to no defense cause we assume our offense will carry us. Just embarrassing."

"How is Scott Brooks still a coach in the NBA. Embarrassing. "

"AD had like 5 lobs and 5 wide open jumpers. Awful ****ing D"

:Ahh, the old Russell "Make you throw your remote through your TV" Westbrook.:

"If we don't make the playoffs I will have Scott Brooks' head"
    Some of that is hyperbole but honestly a lot of that is very legitimate critiques of Scott Brooks and the way the Thunder play.

The Thunder have always been the Westbrook and Durant show and I don't think they will take the necessary leap to championship winner until they get a better coach who can better merry Westbrook and Durant's play style and incorporate the rest of the team better.

To be fair to Brooks though, he actually has two MVP caliber players that can deliver in isolation and Westbrook was paying great down the stretch so going to that well makes more sense then us going to the Evans well the way we do and did tonight.

So you want to look at last 10 and I want to look at the season. I don't see why you would care about the last 10. Winning is all that matters, for some reason, we have to look good doing it I guess. Our starting lineup is fine, and our Bench is fine.

Who exactly would you start in the game that would improve on 6-4 in the last 10 while playing:

Clippers, Lakers, Knicks, Dallas, Cleveland, Golden State, Utah, Houston, Portland, and OKC.

If you told me we went 6-4 to start that stretch, I'd be more than happy. If I had to guess I would of thought 4-6 would be respectable.

Please educate this board on how to properly set a NBA starting lineup.
    Why would I look at the entire season when the makeup of the team is different. No Gordon, Cunningham is the first guy off the bench, and different players getting minutes now then at the start of the season.

The Pelicans were out of the game against the Clippers in the 1st quarter after they lost 34-18. The Pelicans could have beat the Mavericks if not for losing the first quarter by 10 points. The Pelicans shouldn't have lost the 1st and 3rd quarters to the Jazz. The Pelicans actually won the first quarter in the OT loss to the Warriors without AD in the game Ryno started. Tyreke had 34 and Jrue had 30. Probably would have won that game with AD.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 12-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    We did play too much iso. Way too much. Iso doesnt mean it can't lead to an assist. You are aware of that?

What is the point of looking at the other people besides AD? Is that a serious question?

This post read like a bunch of excuses.
    I'm not the one coming up with excuses to justify my love of being negative after a win like you.

People only point out the negative. No one here mentions Holiday's 15 assists and 4 steals. No one mentions the beatiful play by Ajinca in the 2nd quarter. No one mentions how we only had 9 TOs all game. No one mentions how we won this game getting out shout by 14 at the FT line even though we shot just as many shots at the rim. No one mentions the absolute clutch block Asik had on Westbrook at the end of the game. No one mentions the absolute ridculous steal Holiday had on Russ that turned out to be the game winner. Lastly, no one mentions the 3 big lineup monty deployed at just the right time to hold the Thunder scoreless for the final 3:46 of the game.

Instead we point to the +/- of our starters and bench. Like why?

By the way, our starters out scored the Thunder's starters 67-66, and bench won the battle 34-33.

Everyone of your posts read like an over emotional fan that is a game-by-game fan instead of being invested in the season and the decades of seasons to come.

Just got finished watching game. Love that we won of course, BUT I have to say I've never been more ANGRY with this coach and tyreke evans, anyone watching this game knows what I'm talking bout. I'm so sick of watching this cat jack up bad shot after bad shot. Good frekin lord. They were up 2 for how many possessions without DAVIS getting a shot??? I mean good lord that crap is ridicUlous. Especially that last horrible jump shot where I saw MONTY call of DAVIS for Reke to play hero ball. Good lord this team will not go far with these 2 bone heads on this team. They are blessed to have DAVIS cleaning up their mess constantly. I've really seen enough of REKE and MONTY. I couldn't care less if Reke will get us a 25-30 pt 10asst and 7rb game once a month. He has a bb iq of a frog. Rant over. Good lord I've never been so upset watching a win before. Btw holiday is just a beast and is really coming into his own on This team. Love his play on both ends.

So you think what happened is what monty called? No coach has ever called that play in the history of basketball.
    Actually, yes that is what was called. Davis said as much in his interview. Wesley asked him straight up what was called on that last play and Davis said "exactly what you saw".

I mean tyreke pulled up at the last second. You gotta like Reke against roberson iso, when he's actually driving to the hoop.
    Do you watch basketball at all man? Gotta like Roberson on Reke iso?? Lol..good lord. I mean Roberson didn't shut him down all game or nothing. smdh ..Roberson is an above average defender with great length.

Thread Information