Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread: Pelicans @ Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzmanD View Post
    I still cannot believe I heard Davis say that in the interview, tell your best player to back off? Don't try to use your best player to win the game? How can anyone continue to support and defend this man as being a head coach in this league? Demps and Monty are budget hires by George Shinn who was about to go bankrupt. So what does good ole Tom do? He gives Monty a new 5 year deal when he just bought the team.
    I'm am not trying to be a negative troll, but honestly I feel like this squad will never reach its potential with Monty at the realm. The way the squad plays, it seems like they don't respect him. The middle school set plays, to lackadaisical defense I'm just done. I don't care if we won this game, THIS TEAM IS BETTER THEN THIS. I'm not settling for crap any longer. I mean we have Jrue Holiday, Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans, Asik, and a once in a generation player and THIS IS IT? I feel like we really are losing focus of this squad potential. I'm ready to get a real coach here that will push this already talented squad to their TRUE FORM. Stop settling for **** people. We deserve a better system and effort from this team.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    You're gonna get a 1 on 1 80% of the time. I'll take Reke v him going towards the hoop over Jrue v westbrook or AD v Ibaka on a straight ISO. That's Monty's thinking I guess... I'd still run the P&R action earlier and let things shake but I'd want Reke driving in that situation
    Evans had blown two iso drives within the last five plays. We shouldn't of even been in such a close game if we were able to convert one of those two bad Evans possessions. Jrue was hot and making excellent passes.

If you are going Iso let Jrue take that shot. Evans showed nothing this game that he had the hot hand to make that.

But frankly if Jrue is covered by Westbrook, Evans by Roberson, and Davis by Ibaka, you run a late play, use screens, or a pick and roll to try and free up a shooter or find an opening.

the fact Monty called that off is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Excellent effort to end that game, defensively. Lots of bone headed plays, as usual, but I'll take 2-0 over the Thunder, above .500, and a spot in the top 8 any day of the week.
    Especially if we are tied with them at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Excellent effort to end that game, defensively. Lots of bone headed plays, as usual, but I'll take 2-0 over the Thunder, above .500, and a spot in the top 8 any day of the week.
    Yep this pretty much hits the nail on the head. Jrue with 11/15 really picked up his 2nd half - one great thing about jrue is his effort after he makes mistakes, full credit to him, the last quarter especially was a great effort on westbrook. and AD with 38/12/2/1/3 jesus

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    We played pretty bad most of the night dude. Had a hot start and good finish(minus Evans possessions) but a lot of mess in between. Evans was bad all game, Jrue was bad most of the first half and through spurts of the third. Ryno was off and took a lot of bad shots tonight. Defensive effort was lacking at times. Ball movement was poor most of the game. Too much iso.

Davis had a monster game and like he often does picks up slack for others and his efficiency raises this team ten fold. Take out his shots and the team shot 39%. Just look at the starters minus AD and they shot 32%.

Bench looked good even if it is in the face of often times poor ball movement and passing which I think is really hurting Ryno's game.

Jrues passing really picked up in the second half. All star level in fact.

Was not that impressed altogether with the team though.
    So we won the 4th quarter by 7 and hold OKC to 18.

We played too much ISO? We assisted on 33 of our 43 made baskets!!! LIKE HOLY **** THAT'S GOOD.

Jrue didn't have his shot but 15 assists and 4 steals. I'll take that every day.

What is the point of looking at starters minus AD? If AD is our superstar he is supposed to carry the team, so when he does carry the team, it's a negative? WTF DO YOU WANT when everyone on this team is like 25 years or younger.

Winning on the road in this league should not be understated especially in a place this team hasn't won in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I'm am not trying to be a negative troll, but honestly I feel like this squad will never reach its potential with Monty at the realm. The way the squad plays, it seems like they don't respect him. The middle school set plays, to lackadaisical defense I'm just done. I don't care if we won this game, THIS TEAM IS BETTER THEN THIS. I'm not settling for crap any longer. I mean we have Jrue Holiday, Ryan Anderson, Tyreke Evans, Asik, and a once in a generation player and THIS IS IT? I feel like we really are losing focus of this squad potential. I'm ready to get a real coach here that will push this already talented squad to their TRUE FORM. Stop settling for **** people. We deserve a better system and effort from this team.
    Monty switched to the 3 big lineup for crunch time and Pels outscore Thunder 7-2. We likely lose the game otherwise. The rustling about the final plays is understandable but you NEED to look at coaching in times where it's not prudent to complain on PR.

Who really feels comfortable with an AD iso on Ibaka for the last shot? There wasn't a great matchup out there but for an ISO Monty picked the best one. By the way the team won the game. man up
    It did not need to be a ISO, run your P&R and let Reke drive or have the option to pass. The point being is at least giving the opportunity for your best player to have a opportunity to touch the ball to end the game. How hard is that to comprehend?

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    So we won the 4th quarter by 7 and hold OKC to 18.

We played too much ISO? We assisted on 33 of our 43 made baskets!!! LIKE HOLY **** THAT'S GOOD.

Jrue didn't have his shot but 15 assists and 4 steals. I'll take that every day.

What is the point of looking at starters minus AD? If AD is our superstar he is supposed to carry the team, so when he does carry the team, it's a negative? WTF DO YOU WANT when everyone on this team is like 25 years or younger.

Winning on the road in this league should not be understated especially in a place this team hasn't won in 4 years.
    People only look at coaching when it's a good time to complain about the coaches. Everyone's blinded by the bad iso-ball at the end, even though the Thunder fans have a LOT more to complain about

It did not need to be a ISO, run your P&R and let Reke drive or have the option to pass. The point being is at least giving the opportunity for your best player to have a opportunity to touch the ball to end the game. How hard is that to comprehend?
    That screen went with about 6 seconds left. There was no time for that to happen. Tyreke broke the play, and the "reset" option was a high screen. That's when Monty called it off.

I hope Monty goes with the flow. This team is all about Offense and could care less about defense. That's what's going to carry us this year.

Winning solves everything, amirite?

Mmmm dat length

/homo

Glad you said this and not me because all I do is get trashed on here for my comments. Everyone talks about trades and who we need next to get to the next level but I can promise you this, this team is going no where until we get a quality head coach in here who has a high basketball IQ. Tom is too cheap to eat the remaining contract he signed Monty to so we will be regulated to this type of game ending questionable coaching decisions for the next few years. It's just frustrating and clearly obvious that coaching is a major problem here yet nothing will be done to remedy this problem anytime soon.

Dude what do want ? A win is a win....all that Debbie downer **** is ridiculous. ...every game can't be picture perfect. ..the guys on this team are young. ...and haven't played years together like the top teams in the league. ...Damn it's frustrating to read ignorant comments from so call fans with no bball IQ. .

Man, have you changed. Used to be a quality poster on this board. Now just nothing but negative. We didn't play bad. We had a couple bad possesions on offense, but you have to credit the team for not letting the Thunder score for 4 end of game possesions in a row. Why would you call that "bad play" and "getting lucky"?
    If the starters are collectively worse than the other teams starters but you win the game you possibly have a problem of bad coaching. Is it because the Pelicans bench is that much better than the Thunder bench? No, I don't think so. It's an ineffective lineup with bad floor spacing starting each half. I see a pattern of the starters getting down and the bench getting the Pelicans back in the game. Then when the Pelicans got the lead at halftime, the starters gave away the lead again and allowed the Thunder to comfortably stay in the game. All the starters ranged from -4 to -9 +/-. It's a loss if Westbrook makes that 3 at the end. It's a loss if Durant plays. Got lucky Durant was out. The bench, AD, and luck won the game for the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    If the starters are collectively worse than the other teams starters but you win the game you possibly have a problem of bad coaching. Is it because the Pelicans bench is that much better than the Thunder bench? No, I don't think so. It's an ineffective lineup with bad floor spacing starting each half. I see a pattern of the starters getting down and the bench getting the Pelicans back in the game. Then when the Pelicans got the lead at halftime, the starters gave away the lead again and allowed the Thunder to comfortably stay in the game. All the starters ranged from -4 to -9 +/-. It's a loss if Westbrook makes that 3 at the end. It's a loss if Durant plays. Got lucky Durant was out. The bench, AD, and luck won the game for the Pelicans.
    The point that excapes everyone is that the Thunder is about at the same talent level as us without Durant. We're probably a bit better. They're at home. Should've been close, we should've won by a little. The game was close, we won by a little. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    All that says to me is "I don't have anything to back up my statement, so I'll just say OKC didnt have Durant."

You are acting like having a bench unit that can resuce a game is a bad thing. Ask the Spurs how they feel about that? Their bench is one of the best at coming in an energizing the entire team to pick it up. The team can't player perfect every game, and going up 2-0 on OKC when we will be fitting for the final playoff spot is huge.

Why don't you acknowledge the pure genius move of Monty goin Ryno, AD, Asik to force Westbrook into those long 3s (which he hasn't been hitting recently). That's good coaching and good scouting. I'm taking the win.

The point that excapes everyone is that the Thunder is about at the same talent level as us without Durant. We're probably a bit better. They're at home. Should've been close, we should've won by a little. The game was close, we won by a little. What am I missing?
    And we are without a starter. We start Luke Babbit for goodness sake. Eric Gordon may not be playing well, but you can't argue that this offense looked a lot smoother with him on the court with the starters. People can't help but be negative on this board, even when their are obvious huge positives to take away from this game.

All that says to me is "I don't have anything to back up my statement, so I'll just say OKC didnt have Durant."

You are acting like having a bench unit that can resuce a game is a bad thing. Ask the Spurs how they feel about that? Their bench is one of the best at coming in an energizing the entire team to pick it up. The team can't player perfect every game, and going up 2-0 on OKC when we will be fitting for the final playoff spot is huge.

Why don't you acknowledge the pure genius move of Monty goin Ryno, AD, Asik to force Westbrook into those long 3s (which he hasn't been hitting recently). That's good coaching and good scouting. I'm taking the win.
    Held OKC to 0-11 to close the game.

Just a few (seemingly) low IQ plays at the death seem to be bothering people ie Evansball

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Just a few (seemingly) low IQ plays at the death seem to be bothering people ie Evansball
    I get that... I'd just like to see people be a little more realistic.

Also, we can all go back and read everything written about Tyreke this past quarter and substitute in Westbrook's name and nothing needs to change. They're both "knuckleheads" in my mind, terrific players but you deal with the bad plays because the good ones are unstoppable. Rus is way better but still.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Glad you said this and not me because all I do is get trashed on here for my comments. Everyone talks about trades and who we need next to get to the next level but I can promise you this, this team is going no where until we get a quality head coach in here who has a high basketball IQ. Tom is too cheap to eat the remaining contract he signed Monty to so we will be regulated to this type of game ending questionable coaching decisions for the next few years. It's just frustrating and clearly obvious that coaching is a major problem here yet nothing will be done to remedy this problem anytime soon.
    You get trashed because you have an obvious agenda and almost every time you post, it's about how you want Monty fired.

We get it - you don't like Monty.

When you only point out one thing (that being Monty's apparent ineptitude), it gives the impression that's all you're capable of critiquing. Why not discuss what's actually going on on the court if we're apparently damned to suffer under Monty Williams until his contract is up?

Because believe it or not, a lot of things that go on out there is out of Monty's control. This isn't football where every possession is a playcall and coaching is a lot more apparent. It's been proven statistically that unless you have one of the best or worst coaches(and there's only a couple on both spectrum that move the needle typically), coaching makes very little difference in the NBA.

While I'm not sure if Monty Williams is the answer at head coach, there are other things that are apparent that needs fixing regardless of who the coach is and I'd rather focus on those.

got the w. the west top 8 cheer. full credit to our bench, they have been bringing us back into games and playing well recently. really turned things around which is awesome. Ajinca - 11 minutes and only two fouls with 10/3/1/1 - him and withey battling for minutes is doing them both a great thing performance wise.

I'm getting a chuckle reading Thunder fans' responses and how similar they are to some people on here:

"The way this game ended is a great example of how we strictly rely on our talent to win in the closing minutes, rather than actually drawing up an offensive play. "

"Its getting really hard to support this team when they use a system that so clearly lacks effectiveness. Such a waste of talent right now. Chucking shots for days and playing little to no defense cause we assume our offense will carry us. Just embarrassing."

"How is Scott Brooks still a coach in the NBA. Embarrassing. "

"AD had like 5 lobs and 5 wide open jumpers. Awful ****ing D"

:Ahh, the old Russell "Make you throw your remote through your TV" Westbrook.:

"If we don't make the playoffs I will have Scott Brooks' head"

I'm getting a chuckle reading Thunder fans' responses and how similar they are to some people on here:

"The way this game ended is a great example of how we strictly rely on our talent to win in the closing minutes, rather than actually drawing up an offensive play. "

"Its getting really hard to support this team when they use a system that so clearly lacks effectiveness. Such a waste of talent right now. Chucking shots for days and playing little to no defense cause we assume our offense will carry us. Just embarrassing."

"How is Scott Brooks still a coach in the NBA. Embarrassing. "

"AD had like 5 lobs and 5 wide open jumpers. Awful ****ing D"

:Ahh, the old Russell "Make you throw your remote through your TV" Westbrook.:

"If we don't make the playoffs I will have Scott Brooks' head"
    BUt we won, and we still here this. This team is such an improvement over last year, and people are not happy because we don't play like the Spurs or Warriors. They expect a magical switch to flip and we all of suddent turn into a 50-60 win team.

Thread Information