Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wait till free agency to make big move?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Wait till free agency to make big move?

The PELS have multiple players on the current roster who will be UFA next year. We could shed 20mil if we wanted to. There are a few coveted free agents for 2015. Do we want to resign Asik or Babbitt? Cunningham? What are your thoughts?
    As of now I would let Asik walk if they want more than 10 million. He's very overpaid. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be hard to let him go and I don't want to be he's making almost 15million!! Could we land Marc Gasol? Jimmy Butler? Draymond Green? Would you be comfortable signing Gerald Green?

If it were me I'd keep trying to move Gordon and Anderson, Rivers etc and take our chances in free agency. We need a SF really bad.

I would be tempted to let Asik, Ajinca, Rivers, Jimmer, Russ Smith, and Salmons go... That's around 20mil off the books. Resign Cunningham, and Babbitt for the right price. Consider signing Withey.

Also, I would resign Mekel for insurance at pg.

Could y'all be comfortable making most of our moves in free agency?

Basically to into next season with 4-5 players who have experience in our system? No. I'm not a big fan of that. Only way I let Asik go is if he wants a ton of money or if we can get Gasol. I don't see either happening realistically however. I think we will resign Asik for somewhere around 12m/yr.

I do think Jimmer and Salmons are definitely gone.

The rest of the moves are just super conditional depending on how much they want and who we can get.

I don't think Babbit and Cunningham at SF is the problem, they've done a solid job. We need more consistency from the guards

I would bring back Withey, Babbitt, Russ.....Cunningham for no more than 2.5 mil and Asik for no more than 10 mil. Next off seasons priority will be a SF...I think the bench will be contingent on what EG does.....IMO. Whether he stays or goes, a SF is on the way.
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 12-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.

I remain steadfast that Ryno is a luxury good and would be willing to part with him(despite my admiration for his skill set) at any point where the right offer is made. Meaning a high quality starting SF and some depth and maybe a pick.

Other then that I don't really want any big moves and I especially dont want any panic moves to salvage what was always going to be, at best, a early playoff exit.

Other then that I am kind of biting my tongue because I think what this team will look like next season will depend a lot on how well we finish this season. If Monty can't put together a respectable end to the season I don't see how ownership can justify retaining him any longer. Same could go for Demps. So I think I would like to see this season play itself out and then go from there.

If Monty stays, we need to work toward actually finding players that fit his style of coaching, which means bringing in a smart wing defender that can also spread the floor. Jeff Green is not that guy. Monty's defense was best when we had anchors at the point, the wing and paint: Paul, Ariza, Okafor. Each guarding the opposing teams Primary ball handler, primary scorer and primary big man. We have a guy in Jrue that cover the opposing teams best ball handler and two player in Davis and Asik that can interchange based on matchups covering the opponents best big man but we have no one that can start and play against the opposing teams best scorer except cunnignham and he creates spacing issues on offense because of having to pair him with Evans and leaving our primary ball handler as our only great 3 point shooter.

Couple of things... Asik is going to want around 12mil a year. I don't know if that's fair. He's not going to stay for 10mil or under.. So Asik will be a big decision for Demps...

Anderson should be traded especially seeing Babbitt hit the three so well and having Cunningham as a backup SF/PF.

The problem with Anderson is he's not as valuable as most of y'all think he is. Bronco, I agree with your overall post but there's no way I can see a team offering us a high quality starting SF, a pick, and depth. That's not really realistic IMO. Anderson has a great contract and brings a lot to the table but I don't see us landing a great player and depth. If we could trade Anderson for a starting SF that would be great.... I'm tempted to offer butler the max this offseason and if we could I'd love to trade Anderson for an expiring...

I'm terrified of Asik's impending contract. He honestly scares me on the court even though his value is pretty plain to see. His lack of hands and complete inability to do anything but turn the ball over or get his shot blocked when he has the ball in his hands make him a huge liability on offense. I've almost gotten to the point that I feel more comfortable with Withey on the court than Asik. I want to keep him around because of his defense but I think even 10 mil is an overpay. I don't want to make the same mistake we made with Gordon and resign him above his value just because we have no concept of a sunk cost.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Couple of things... Asik is going to want around 12mil a year. I don't know if that's fair. He's not going to stay for 10mil or under.. So Asik will be a big decision for Demps...

Anderson should be traded especially seeing Babbitt hit the three so well and having Cunningham as a backup SF/PF.

The problem with Anderson is he's not as valuable as most of y'all think he is. Bronco, I agree with your overall post but there's no way I can see a team offering us a high quality starting SF, a pick, and depth. That's not really realistic IMO. Anderson has a great contract and brings a lot to the table but I don't see us landing a great player and depth. If we could trade Anderson for a starting SF that would be great.... I'm tempted to offer butler the max this offseason and if we could I'd love to trade Anderson for an expiring...
    Let me clarify because re-reading that part is a bit unclear. I am not expecting a great player, depth and a pick, just some combination that equals his value. So I realistically think we could get a guy of say Nicolas Batum, Butler, Ariza or Draymond Green type talent under the right circumstance. Or someone like a Wilson Chandler and maybe a bench player and 2nd rounder. If we wanted picks I think Ryno could fetch a first rounder and more. But yeah, I would be willing to settle for a above average 3 and D guy if that is all we could get.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 04:03 PM.

if we don't resign Asik I really would love to go after Butler, if we do resign Asik I would hope some way some how we could find a way to afford Draymond.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Let me clarify because re-reading that part is a bit unclear. I am not expecting a great player, depth and a pick, just some combination that equals his value. So I realistically think we could get a guy of say Nicolas Batum, Butler or Draymond Green type talent under the right circumstance. Or someone like a Wilson Chandler and maybe a bench player and 2nd rounder. If we wanted picks I think Ryno could fetch a first rounder and more.
    I agree with this.

We cannnot give up a first rounder for a one year rental. Asik WILL be resigned even if it's a through a sign & trade.

Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    We cannnot give up a first rounder for a one year rental. Asik WILL be resigned even if it's a through a sign & trade.
    But isn't it possible that we can keep the pic?

The only reason Asik gets 10M or more is because he cost us a 1st round pick.
    If you stop the season right now he is worth about 8M and that’s all.
    I hope like ^&%^ we don’t overpay for him.
    He has been very disappointing so far this year, but something tells me he is under a bit of an injury cloud.
    He hasn’t run, play defence or created that same urgency since his first few games.

I am hopeful he play's well enough to demand that 10-12M pay check.

unless something crazy happens like marc gasol says hey i freaking love the pelicans, sure i'll play for them for 14 mil a year, which will never happen, Asik will be resigned.

I'd offer Kosta Koufos 6 mil per if Asik wants more than 8.5 mil

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    unless something crazy happens like marc gasol says hey i freaking love the pelicans, sure i'll play for them for 14 mil a year, which will never happen, Asik will be resigned.
    You think the way Asik is playing is worth more than 8M?
    Take the pick we will give up for him.....do you still sign him for more than 10M?

I hope this isn't another Gordon signing where we don't want to let him go because of what we lost to get him scenario.

Yeah my only comment about Asik right now is that I would have to see a breakdown of where we would be salary cap wise going forward if we commit 10+ million to Asik. Remember Jrue, Evans and Ryno all will likely command 10+ million if we go the route of retaining them. Davis will cost 20+ million. We still need a top 15 SF that can hit the 3 and defend very well. Those aren't cheap today.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You think the way Asik is playing is worth more than 8M?
    Take the pick we will give up for him.....do you still sign him for more than 10M?

I hope this isn't another Gordon signing where we don't want to let him go because of what we lost to get him scenario.
    I have no problem giving him 10 million a year. He's one of the best defensive and rebounding centers in the league. His defense doesn't look like it but I blame that on Monty, if u go watch Asik with houston or the bulls his defense is incredible. I'v talked to rockets fans and they all loved him and mad they lost him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    You guys are in for a rude awakening. We don't have cap room to touch the guys being mentioned. And Asik does not sign for $10 million or less. No chance. Most likely scenario has us waiting until 2016 offseason with both Gordon and Anderson coming off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    You guys are in for a rude awakening. We don't have cap room to touch the guys being mentioned. And Asik does not sign for $10 million or less. No chance. Most likely scenario has us waiting until 2016 offseason with both Gordon and Anderson coming off the books.
    10 mil to Asik wouldn't affect us getting a SF ...but we would have to use the MLE....We could definitely upgrade from what we have now

So what are our options this offseason? I mean the whole gambit....Signing Asik, using the money for Asik to sign someone else like a SF, going after a middle of the pack center and middle of the pack SF Etc. Etc.

if we don't resign Asik I really would love to go after Butler, if we do resign Asik I would hope some way some how we could find a way to afford Draymond.
    Guru, we are not gonna be able to afford Asik and Draymond. This has been said countless times.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Guru, we are not gonna be able to afford Asik and Draymond. This has been said countless times.
    Dude I know we can't get him which is why I was trying to make my statement appear that it is more about me wishing we could when i know we can't.

Dude I know we can't get him which is why I was trying to make my statement appear that it is more about me wishing we could when i know we can't.
    Maybe if you've been a good boy Santa will give you your wish?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    So what are our options this offseason? I mean the whole gambit....Signing Asik, using the money for Asik to sign someone else like a SF, going after a middle of the pack center and middle of the pack SF Etc. Etc.
    Most likely scenario this off-season is we re-sign Asik, use our MLE and Bi-Annual. That means adding a player in the mid 5m/yr range and adding a player just over 2m/yr.

Keep in mind we are able to bring back Babbitt, Rivers, Withey, and Ajinca without needing to use either of those exceptions because we have Early or full Birds rights on all of them - baring they command more money than Early Bird rights or in Rivers case more than the amount we turned down this summer.

Other options depend on if we trade players or not and who we go after in FA.

Thread Information