Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wait till free agency to make big move?

Saw Gasol ' s name on here a couple of times and no way he ends up a Pelican. With the way he is playing he is more than likely to get Max money. He is a legit MVP candidate right now. I highly doubt he signs anywhere other than the grizzlies. (Barring some sort of implosion in Memphis)

Wait till free agency to make big move?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    Saw Gasol ' s name on here a couple of times and no way he ends up a Pelican. With the way he is playing he is more than likely to get Max money. He is a legit MVP candidate right now. I highly doubt he signs anywhere other than the grizzlies. (Barring some sort of implosion in Memphis)
    His numbers are near identical to his career averages. You'd have to say he was playing at MVP level every year if you consider him doing it this year. As far as him signing elsewhere it really depends on how this year plays out. ZBo is getting really old and if they can't make a run this year he might feel the need to go elsewhere to make a push.

It's always a long shot with players on his level. The only thing you can do is make the call and see if he is even interested. If he does want to make a move wanting to pair himself with AD for the next 4 years isn't a bad idea. As far as money goes, if I remember correctly we could drop all cap holdings and offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 20m/yr (I'd have to double check it but I think that's right). Not max money for him but really good.

Our big expiring deals might be perfect for teams who think they have a legit shot at the Gasol's/Durant's/Butler's etc.. So I'd look to get talent upgrade for longer financial commitment, better than risking getting nothing in FA.

Gasol and AD would be incredible together. The best PF in the league next to the best C in the league, the perfect pairing. Oh, what a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Most likely scenario this off-season is we re-sign Asik, use our MLE and Bi-Annual. That means adding a player in the mid 5m/yr range and adding a player just over 2m/yr.

Keep in mind we are able to bring back Babbitt, Rivers, Withey, and Ajinca without needing to use either of those exceptions because we have Early or full Birds rights on all of them - baring they command more money than Early Bird rights or in Rivers case more than the amount we turned down this summer.

Other options depend on if we trade players or not and who we go after in FA.
    who are some decent SFs who could be had for the MLE?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    who are some decent SFs who could be had for the MLE?
    In no particular order:

Jeff Taylor
    Glenn Rice Jr
    Demarre Carroll
    Jae Crowder
    Kyle Singler
    Gerald Green
    Jared Dudley
    KJ McDaniels*
    Kris Middleton*
    Danny Green*
    Wilson Chandler*

*These players may require more than the MLE due to their teams cap.

It's a really hard question to answer because we have no idea how the market will be. Here's a list of SF FA's.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/sma...wards_2015.htm

And since there are a lot of tweeners listed as SG here is their list too.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/sho...uards_2015.htm

I'd go after Gerald Green first. He doesn't give us the D part of the 3&D but he does give us the 3 and scoring. He is also more athletic and faster than Babbitt. He averages 42% from corner 3 over his career and 50% this year. Decent rebounding too.

There are other options too but it really depends on the market.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Yeah my only comment about Asik right now is that I would have to see a breakdown of where we would be salary cap wise going forward if we commit 10+ million to Asik. Remember Jrue, Evans and Ryno all will likely command 10+ million if we go the route of retaining them. Davis will cost 20+ million. We still need a top 15 SF that can hit the 3 and defend very well. Those aren't cheap today.
    Tried to link you to your desired breakdown in another thread but I don't think you ever returned to it. Here are a couple salary breakdowns from McNamara.

Something else to keep in mind is that while I have stated in the past several times that*2015 could be the last chance*for Dell to make a big move for a core piece, the truth is that he can also set things up so that he can make a splash in 2016 if he so chooses. Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans will be on bargain basement deals at that point, accounting for approximately $22 million against a cap that figures to be between $80 and $85 million. Even if you add in Davis at the highest level possible and Omer Asik on a contract similar to Marcin Gortat’s new deal, the Pelicans will still have more than $20 million in salary cap room. And that is the low side of the projection, with $30-$35 million in cap room a realistic possibility if they clear out everyone else on the roster – something they would do if say Kevin Durant were interested in teaming up with AD.

In the summer of 2017, the team would likely have to give significant raises to both Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans if they wanted to keep them around, but there is a window for the Pelicans to do something major in either 2015 or 2016, even with AD’s new deal on the horizon. By the end of the summer of 2016, however, the team will likely have whatever core it wants around Davis locked into place and will move forward with that core, trying to get the championships that will satisfy Davis and keep him here long term.
    From here: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...eans-pelicans/

Older article pre-Asik on adding to the core http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ummer-of-2015/

Hope that helps.

Middleton and Green are very realistic pick ups IMO...

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I think we're looking at a move before the trading deadline
    and it may include one of our core guys.
    (Jrue/Tyreke/Gordon/Ryno)
    if I have to guess.

I was almost positive we would make a move, but now I think we don't. The team continues to grow and build chemistry and get better. I think we will keep what we have. in the offseason resign asik and try and sign kris middleton or someone like him.

So we might have cap space this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDavis23 View Post
    So we might have cap space this summer?
    not really but we will have the MLE and bi-anual. letting us resign asik while upgrading our SF spot and bench.

if danny green would sign for the mle i would do back flips.

...we get to go McDonalds
    It would be utterly stupid to give Asik any type of 12mil/year deal. He's a big who can play defense and rebound. That has value, but at 12mil/year you should be able to hit an open shot from more than 3ft from the basket. I guess I'd be ok with a Gortat type deal (at a slightly lower price point) that rises over the years, but at this point, we have no flexibility whatsoever because of these types of moves. I'm for whatever gives us $$$ flexibility because I'm not sold at all on anyone outside of AD and Holiday.

** Didn't consider ramifications of expanding cap, so maybe deal wouldn't be so bad. That said, I want AD to play with another superstar and it doesn't look like we'll have $ for that til 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    It would be utterly stupid to give Asik any type of 12mil/year deal. He's one of the best bigs who can play defense and rebound. That has value, but at 12mil/year you should be able to hit an open shot from more than 3ft from the basket. I guess I'd be ok with a Gortat type deal (at a slightly lower price point) that rises over the years, but at this point, we have no flexibility whatsoever because of these types of moves. I'm for whatever gives us $$$ flexibility because I'm not sold at all on anyone outside of AD and Holiday.
    fify.

asik is a center that can give u 14 rebs a game and play marvelous defense. we do not need anymore offense.

I'm not sure he's one of the best bigs who can play defense and rebounds, but lets say he is. If you were to build a team around AD, wouldn't you build a team that can run?

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I'm not sure he's one of the best bigs who can play defense and rebounds, but lets say he is. If you were to build a team around AD, wouldn't you build a team that can run?
    he and drummond have the best rebounding rates and rebounds per 36 in the league. For example Asik gets the same amount of rebounds in 27 minutes as AD does in 36.

And for being a team that can run, not every player has to be able to run. The warriors and thunder run and u can't tell me that bogut and perkins are more mobile than asik.

Houston ran when Asik was the starter. Worked well enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    I think we're looking at a move before the trading deadline
    and it may include one of our core guys.
    (Jrue/Tyreke/Gordon/Ryno)
    if I have to guess.
    no way they trade Jrue him and A.D I would go as far as to say untouchable for Jrue

i think we should trade AD and Jrue for damian lillard.

maybe they would throw in batum too.

We are making progress, especially on the offensive end, but are not there yet:

Season Off Eff Def Eff Net
    2014-2015 107.2 107.5 -0.3
    2013-2014 104.7 107.3 -2.6
    2012-2013 102.7 107.6 -4.9
    2011-2012 98.3 102.3 -4.0

The team will not wait to make a move if a possible move comes up. However, a good move is hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    he and drummond have the best rebounding rates and rebounds per 36 in the league. For example Asik gets the same amount of rebounds in 27 minutes as AD does in 36.

And for being a team that can run, not every player has to be able to run. The warriors and thunder run and u can't tell me that bogut and perkins are more mobile than asik.
    Fair enough. I'm not as sold on Asik as much are you are, but yea, not everyone has to be able to run.

Thread Information