Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wait till free agency to make big move?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm almost certain we do nothing until the offseason. At least nothing of significance. May as well. See how the team gels. In fact, it's our best chance to see Monty Williams be let go if we don't have excuses like "Well, we shook up our team chemistry. We have to give Monty more time" or whatever.

I can get behind that logic.

I think Gasol is a real possibility. If we can open up the $ to afford him he will be maybe the best fit for this team. Gasol and Davis would give is one of if not the best big man combo in NBA history. I could be the coach and the interior defense would be incredible. I like Asik but he does not give us near the spacing or threat next to Davis. Teams would not know what the hell to do trying to guard and cover those 2. AD would be very intriguing to someone like Gasol and I could definitely see him leave Memphis or tried to trade his front court mate in Randolph a couple of times. Davis would make Gasols life so much easier and give him a legit shot for multiple championships. I would much rather get Gasol and a decent SF then a a very good SF and Asik. Idc what people think of Anderson but he is so valuable to this team and whoever does not see it is absolutely blind. Does he jack up a bunch of shots and sometimes take some bad ones? Yes he does but he has to! Just think about having Davis/Gasol/Anderson big man trio wih Jrue at the point. That would be an incredible 4 to build around and make us the scariest team in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I think Gasol is a real possibility. If we can open up the $ to afford him he will be maybe the best fit for this team. Gasol and Davis would give is one of if not the best big man combo in NBA history. I could be the coach and the interior defense would be incredible. I like Asik but he does not give us near the spacing or threat next to Davis. Teams would not know what the hell to do trying to guard and cover those 2. AD would be very intriguing to someone like Gasol and I could definitely see him leave Memphis or tried to trade his front court mate in Randolph a couple of times. Davis would make Gasols life so much easier and give him a legit shot for multiple championships. I would much rather get Gasol and a decent SF then a a very good SF and Asik. Idc what people think of Anderson but he is so valuable to this team and whoever does not see it is absolutely blind. Does he jack up a bunch of shots and sometimes take some bad ones? Yes he does but he has to! Just think about having Davis/Gasol/Anderson big man trio wih Jrue at the point. That would be an incredible 4 to build around and make us the scariest team in the NBA.
    I don't see us signing Gasol AND keeping Ryno. Unless he's willing to let his minutes drop to 25 or less

Asik's paid 15 million salary this year but his contract was structured that way because houston didn't want chicago to match it . It was a 3 year 25 million deal signed in 2012 , but he's paid 5 - 5 - 15 . ( Chicago wanted to keep asik but they didn't want to match this offer because they had already noah gibson and overpaid boozer at the time ) Also , he's due only 8.3 million on salary cap , not 15 . In fact this is the same deal that jeremy lin signed with houston at the same time . People forget these things for personal hatred reasons or are just misinformed , I don't know .

I think a 4 year 35 - 40 million deal is okay for Asik . He may be asking much more but he won't get any better deal from another teams , and we can give him that money .

I seriously think of keeping Cunningham and Babbitt , they've been useful this far . So in total , we can pay 20 million for these 3 players . But we have to be aggressive for making big moves ...
    Last edited by moon54; 12-23-2014 at 07:27 AM.

realistically could we do a sign and trade of Ryno for Gasol and still have our MLE and Bi-annual for a SF and bench depth?

Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    Asik's paid 15 million salary this year but his contract was structured that way because houston didn't want chicago to match it . It was a 3 year 25 million deal signed in 2012 , but he's paid 5 - 5 - 15 . ( Chicago wanted to keep asik but they didn't want to match this offer because they had already noah gibson and overpaid boozer at the time ) Also , he's due only 8.3 million on salary cap , not 15 . In fact this is the same deal that jeremy lin signed with houston at the same time . People forget these things for personal hatred reasons or are just misinformed , I don't know .

I think a 4 year 35 - 40 million deal is okay for Asik . He may be asking much more but he won't get any better deal from another teams , and we can give him that money .

I seriously think of keeping Cunningham and Babbitt , they've been useful this far . So in total , we can pay 20 million for these 3 players . But we have to be aggressive for making big moves ...
    If asik resigned for 4 years 35 million i would do that in a heartbeat.

ryno sign and trade for gasol and then use MLE on danny green for

jrue
    tyreke
    green
    ad
    gasol

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    ryno sign and trade for gasol and then use MLE on danny green for

jrue
    tyreke
    green
    ad
    gasol
    No. We can't do that. Salary's won't match. And the thought of getting Green for the MLE is laughable. Even if he would take the MLE (which is highly doubtful) he wouldn't come here when he can get that at every contender.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. We can't do that. Salary's won't match. And the thought of getting Green for the MLE is laughable. Even if he would take the MLE (which is highly doubtful) he wouldn't come here when he can get that at every contender.
    I think if we got Gasol, we'd be considered one of those contenders. Maybe even the top one moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    I think if we got Gasol, we'd be considered one of those contenders. Maybe even the top one moving forward.
    Its a very low % chance built on top of another low % chance. Just don't see it happening. Green will get more than the MLE. Mostlikely from SA themselves.

You don't trade away a floor spacer like Ryno! People please get that thru your head!!!!
    Now unless you can get another floor spacer in return, yes. But trading away a floor spacer will hinder this offense.
    plus Ryno is clutch in money game situations. You just can't give that type of player away just to fill a void at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    You don't trade away a floor spacer like Ryno! People please get that thru your head!!!!
    Now unless you can get another floor spacer in return, yes. But trading away a floor spacer will hinder this offense.
    plus Ryno is clutch in money game situations. You just can't give that type of player away just to fill a void at SF.
    Amazing that 29 other teams can space the floor without Ryan Anderson...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They can? There's some pretty awful teams out there.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-23-2014 at 02:49 PM.

I didn't say they DID. I said they can. The potential is there. ANd yet there's only one Ryan Anderson.

I didn't say they DID. I said they can. The potential is there. ANd yet there's only one Ryan Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I don't see us signing Gasol AND keeping Ryno. Unless he's willing to let his minutes drop to 25 or less
    I think we could play some lineups including all 3 to off set some of the minutes. Having Gasol and AD would be plenty enough for Ryno to cover SFs not in the Lebron and Durant level. Just some stretches to add a few minutes and would be a very good lineup of you ask me. I think if we are gonna win a championship we need people to sacrifice and be unselfish and someone like Anderson to me is that guy. Also I could see Gasol not minding a few less minutes a game to keep himself fresh while he is aging and going through a long season. Similar to what the Spurs do with resting some of te vets they have. Let AD have his minutes but Gasol and Anderson some kind of compromise for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He provides more than just a floor spacer and I guarantee you those 29 other teams would love to have an Anderson on their team. He is a crucial piece to this team going forward no matter who we get at SF or C. He is very hard to replace and it's not just floor spacing cause if that was the case Babbit is equal to Anderson.

Thread Information