Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony Davis more valuable than LBJ?.....Uh Duh-doy!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeech View Post
    How angry are you that Lebron can score just as well, defend just as well, and is a BETTER passer than MJ?

And please: if you are aren't a casual fan, you know that its a marathon, not a sprint. Hell, even a single ****ing season is 82 games. And this guy is bringing up specific plays. What a clown.
    How can he defend just as well when he doesn't even transition after the other team gets a defensive rebound? Have you ever seen this guy live? I'm not making up scenarios fool. About 10,000 of us got to watch his patented hands-on-hips defense.

You call me a casual fan and I'm 100% sure all you know about this guy is from sportcenter. I'm also 100% sure that your knowledge of Jordan is limited to YouTube clips, bc the only way you can not recognize the canyon that separates these two players due to force of will alone is if you're ignorant or you're LeBron himself (which is unlikely since he is actually an intelligent human being)

Yeah. You're the clown here. Thanks for the entertainment though. Nothing suits a clown better than public humiliation.

So you're telling me effort is the determining factor when deciding ones greatness?
    I guess Reggie Evans is the GOAT.

And MJ never took a possession off? Good God, you're so wrong.
    Also: Lol at "100% sure". So much strawman, lmfao

Cites unquantifiable attributes like "force of will" (LMFAO!) and "killer instinct" when making an argument? CHECK

I don't know muh, but I know Lebron would take MJ over himself.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don't know muh, but I know Lebron would take MJ over himself.
    If ESPN asked him?
    Sure, because thats the image he tries to portray.
    Deep down? Who knows.

Bring up more things that are pretty much completely irrelevant.

The Jordan/LBJ argument is such a silly argument because everyone always discusses it in such a poor way.

You are comparing two players that adapted and maximized their skillset in two completely different eras of basketball.

Jordan played in an era dominated by big men. Where Handchecking allowed defenders to read where ball handlers were going, there was not a 3 second rule, no 5-second back to the basket rule, and different illegal defensive guidelines that allowed a more physical style of basketball but limited things like help defense and zone defense because of restristictons on how far away from "your man" you could be.

In that era, back to the basket game was a centerpiece. Because players couldn't sag off the way they can today. There was a legal distance you were allowed to be from your man or else you had to commit to a complete double team. This allowed big men to punish their defender or have a open option due to a complete double team. So a guy like Jordan recognized the value in establishing a strong post game. Sure teams like the George Karl Supersonics flirted with breaking those rules without much consequence, but the mentality of the game was steadfast.

Lebron didnt build his game for that world. He built it for todays. Where hand checking is illegal, the illegal defensive guidelines of yesteryear are all but eliminated, Big men have much more restrictions and rules that negate their effectiveness and thus the emphasis of play has shifted from post and inside play to outside play and dribble penetration.

Lebron's bulldozer to the basket game certainly wouldn't translate to that era. Where hand checking would negate a lot of his early physical attack style of play. Not to mention the ability for big men to camp in the paint. His early career struggles with his lack of a post game and inconsistent jumper would also have him struggling in Jordan's era IMO. However due to illegal defense rules Lebron would have a much easier time finding open players or getting a shot if he could beat his initial man in that era IMO.

Then again how would Jordans 80's and 90's built game translate to an era where the "Shaq Rules" like zone defense have been allowed and defenders could double Jordan off the ball and play help defense in the post?

I think it is clear that in the more perimeter player friendly game of today the nod has to go to MJ being able to replicate his success in todays era and it is a little more questionable if Lebron's game would translate as well to the past era. But the one for one comparisons are always a little silly given the differences in the eras, let alone that Lebron and MJ are two different types of players.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-21-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind2706 View Post
    The league is far more competitive now and is better top to bottom than it was during the Jordan era. The 90's are romaticized to the extreme for some reason, but it was UGLY basketball and pretty weak on the whole. That's why Jordan got the calls he did. The NBA knew their product was slow and ugly, so they turned a talented and likable Jordan into the face of the league.

Seriously, look at the west this year. At least 2 extremely talented teams are going to be left out of the playoffs. While I agree Jordan is GOAT, a big part if that involved both his popularity and a lack of quality competition.
    Top to bottom, the league was more competitive in Jordan's era. While I agree with your point about the West, the East for the majority of LeBron's time has been pretty lousy except for 2 or 3 contenders and LBJ has played on one of them. There were no night's off for Jordan's Bulls and I would argue that any of the second tier teams in the East back then like Reggie's Pacers or Ewing's Knicks were miles better than the teams LeBron get to face night in and night out.
    the Legend has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The Jordan/LBJ argument is such a silly argument because everyone always discusses it in such a poor way.

You are comparing two players that adapted and maximized their skillset in two completely different eras of basketball.

Jordan played in an era dominated by big men. Where Handchecking allowed defenders to read where ball handlers were going, there was not a 3 second rule, no 5-second back to the basket rule, and different illegal defensive guidelines that allowed a more physical style of basketball but limited things like help defense and zone defense because of restristictons on how far away from "your man" you could be.

In that era, back to the basket game was a centerpiece. Because players couldn't sag off the way they can today. There was a legal distance you were allowed to be from your man or else you had to commit to a complete double team. This allowed big men to punish their defender or have a open option due to a complete double team. So a guy like Jordan recognized the value in establishing a strong post game. Sure teams like the George Karl Supersonics flirted with breaking those rules without much consequence, but the mentality of the game was steadfast.

Lebron didnt build his game for that world. He built it for todays. Where hand checking is illegal, the illegal defensive guidelines of yesteryear are all but eliminated, Big men have much more restrictions and rules that negate their effectiveness and thus the emphasis of play has shifted from post and inside play to outside play and dribble penetration.

Lebron's bulldozer to the basket game certainly wouldn't translate to that era. Where hand checking would negate a lot of his early physical attack style of play. Not to mention the ability for big men to camp in the paint. His early career struggles with his lack of a post game and inconsistent jumper would also have him struggling in Jordan's era IMO. However due to illegal defense rules Lebron would have a much easier time finding open players or getting a shot if he could beat his initial man in that era IMO.

Then again how would Jordans 80's and 90's built game translate to an era where the "Shaq Rules" like zone defense have been allowed and defenders could double Jordan off the ball and play help defense in the post?

I think it is clear that in the more perimeter player friendly game of today the nod has to go to MJ being able to replicate his success in todays era and it is a little more questionable if Lebron's game would translate as well to the past era. But the one for one comparisons are always a little silly given the differences in the eras, let alone that Lebron and MJ are two different types of players.
    This is how I saw it as well. It is impossible to really compare them fairly due to the eras they played in. It would be like saying Bill Russell is the greatest player due to the fact that he has 10 rings.

LeBron is super Pippen, which would put him right up there in the discussion with Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeech View Post
    Who in their right mind would argue Kobe over MJ or Lebron? It's not even remotely close. Do you even basketball??

And okay, yes, there is room for debate between Lebron and MJ. You can't go wrong either way.
    Jordan

Kobe

Lebron somewhere down here.
    YOU PLAYING BASKETBALL IN PELICAN BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is how I saw it as well. It is impossible to really compare them fairly due to the eras they played in. It would be like saying Bill Russell is the greatest player due to the fact that he has 10 rings.
    Yeah right you people have a weird conception of time. Russell last played in the 60s or so. Jordan's last meaningful game was in 1998 or around that and lebron played in the nba in 2006. It's less than 10 years, not 40, please.

Thread Information