Pelicans Report

Thread: 1st roung pick for Green?

All-Star

1st roung pick for Green?

You're Dell Demps... you would give 1st round pick of 2016 for Jeff Green?

me personally no. JG is not worth it (production/defense/contract)
    especially when it is possible that 2015 pick will stay with us
    so that we will still owe Houston next pick

and also because Draft Lottery will change in the near future. it might not be good to risk without knowing new rueles

No. Mainly because we can't.

1st round picks aren't what they are made to be, sure every once in awhile u can land someone like kawhi leonard late, but how rare is that, ill always taken a proven player over a drafted player, unless he's a top 5 pick, its a crapshoot, and even then top 5 picks don't always work out. The draft is a great way to build "IF" you happen to draft someone who doesn't bust because u get them for cheap, but thats like hoping to win the lottery, u can't rely on luck every time, plus we landed AD, i don't think we need luck anymore, we need to surround him with great players like we are. This team with Jeff Green IMO can compete with any single team in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    1st round picks aren't what they are made to be, sure every once in awhile u can land someone like kawhi leonard late, but how rare is that, ill always taken a proven player over a drafted player, unless he's a top 5 pick, its a crapshoot, and even then top 5 picks don't always work out. The draft is a great way to build "IF" you happen to draft someone who doesn't bust because u get them for cheap, but thats like hoping to win the lottery, u can't rely on luck every time, plus we landed AD, i don't think we need luck anymore, we need to surround him with great players like we are. This team with Jeff Green IMO can compete with any single team in the NBA.
    This. Exactly what i was going to say. Saints have done it since Loomis has been in charge and it works to keep us competitive every year at least. It is all based around the window we have Brees. The Pels have a window of opportunity with AD.

We can't trade our 2016 pick til draft day.

I doubt Boston will get a 1st rounder for Green but somebody might cave.

Green could bolt this summer if he wanted. First rd pick for 3/4 a season of Green? No thanks. I think we get him without using a first, watch Demps work, Gordon gon be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Green could bolt this summer if he wanted. First rd pick for 3/4 a season of Green? No thanks. I think we get him without using a first, watch Demps work, Gordon gon be involved.
    I don't think Green turns down the money. He will most likely accept and become a FA when the cap spikes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Gordon, Rivers, Salmons for Wallace/Green clears $5m in cap space for the Celtics next season. Not sure if either team would do it though. Do the Pelicans have a 2nd round pick to throw in? Would also leave us pretty shallow at the backup guard spot.

They can have the 1st if they take Gordon. I dont think Green is an ideal fit though

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    They can have the 1st if they take Gordon. I dont think Green is an ideal fit though
    I agree. It does a couple things, it gives us a SF for the remainder of the year and if we like him resign him, it saves us 6 million if Boston uses some of their trade exception money, and if frees up 15 Million for offseason moves. So yes I'd give up some kind of conditional 1st and Gordon for Green.

I want a SF that plays defense and shoots threes.

Jeff Green doesn't do either of those things.

How about Gordon and the 2017 1st for Green and Bass? Boston doesn't really have room for Bass on their squad and they might actually like the idea of experimenting with EG the next 2 years (since they can afford to have someone eat up their cap space). The trade works.

Nope, no thanks

Thread Information