Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: PELS Interested In Jeff Green

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Are they really the only only two teams interested? I don't even understand the Clippers interest when they have Barnes.
    They are the only two teams I've seen reported with interest.
    Barnes has been stinking it up this year.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Let's send them Jimmer.

Jimmer was a 1st round pick.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Let's send them Jimmer.

Jimmer was a 1st round pick.
    If we sent them Jimmer AND Rivers, we should be able to get Green and a 1st back

I really do not understand the infatuation with Jeff Green. He is an ultra high usage guy who is a mediocre three point shooter. Only 30% catch and shoot %. He's not a great defender, he's not a great rebounder, he's inconsistent , he arguably lacks court vision and has questionable BBIQ.

I feel like people get enamored with his measurables, his big games on a bad team and potential.... Potential of a 27 year old.

Give me Wilson Chandler over Jeff Green any day. I'd rather a Swiss army knife player like Chandler who is a 40% catch and shoot player, is a willing and above average defender, can board, has good IQ , is relatively consistent, 39% 3p on 6 attempts a game, and is complimentary to the pieces we already have.

So can someone sell me on why we should go after Jeff Green as our longterm piece at SF?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I really do not understand the infatuation with Jeff Green. He is an ultra high usage guy who is a mediocre three point shooter. Only 30% catch and shoot %. He's not a great defender, he's not a great rebounder, he's inconsistent , he arguably lacks court vision and has questionable BBIQ.

I feel like people get enamored with his measurables, his big games on a bad team and potential.... Potential of a 27 year old.

Give me Wilson Chandler over Jeff Green any day. I'd rather a Swiss army knife player like Chandler who is a 40% catch and shoot player, is a willing and above average defender, can board, has good IQ , is relatively consistent, 39% 3p on 6 attempts a game, and is complimentary to the pieces we already have.

So can someone sell me on why we should go after Jeff Green as our longterm piece at SF?
    I say hold tight for Draymond!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    They are the only two teams I've seen reported with interest.
    Barnes has been stinking it up this year.
    Between Barnes and Crawford they are fine at SF. That move doesn't seem to make a ton of sense for them.

I want a SF NOW!

I think it's more likely they go after Crowder and Nelson. But since they were just traded, they can't be traded again until February?

If Memphis really is trying, they will get Green before us. Prince isn't too much of a drop off from Green and has veteran leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I say hold tight for Draymond!
    I think draymond is out of our price range unless we forgo Asik. Which I don't want to and can't see us doing.

Wilson Chandler - if Denver likely declines his option and can't trade him - Would be our best bet. He has a sketchy injury history which is my only red flag, but, under the right deal I would gladly take him.

Green to the Pelicans, would be the best Christmas present I our received.

Agreed. Jeff Green would be one of the absolute worst players that we could add to this team. If Dell actually gives up anything of value for him, it would be a big hit for this franchise moving forward.

I just don't see how me make a major trade without moving one of the core four not named Davis. No way anyone takes EJ's contract unless we take something as bad back. He'll be a trade asset next year at this time (assuming he doesn't opt out), but not now. We could make a deal to improve our bench with a veteran player or two possibly using Rivers as bait (he's been showing out lately), but I'd rather no deal than a reach deal that, at most, would help us get to the 8th spot this year. To me it looks more and more like the offseason or next year before the trade deadline is when we make our move. Hope ownership stays patient.

Yeah I really like it, just can't see it possibly happening finance-wise. If jrue, Evans, or ryno is involved it would work and that would suck. We can't give them a 1st round pick so I'm not really sure why that was even brought up???

Amen to that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I bet we don't move anyone.

i do recall Ainge being in love with Austin even after Doc left

Austin=tradable????

People including myself are getting too excited and are going to be let down. Unless we give up a core piece I give it a 1% chance of happening.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    No thanks. This team is starting to play really well

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Austin=tradable????
    I remember there were rumors around the draft this past year that we almost traded Rivers to Boston. If their GM really wants him then yes he's tradeable.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Boston is going to find the landscape severely dry for a player with 2 years 18 million left on his deal. What team has a need for 27 year old SF who doesn't score particulary well, rebound particulary well, isn't a great 2nd or 3rd option, basically a utility guy being parading around as third banana. Let's take a look...

Clippers: They can actually offer more than the Pels in terms of young talent and expirings. Matt Barnes has a team option, CJ Wilcox and Reggie Bullock are on rookie deals. Their problem is financial. The Clippers can not under any circumstances cross the hard cap because they used the MLE. They are $800,000 away from that now. They either have to cut some players (not sure they have ANY unguaranteed money they can cut) or make the salaries damn near a perfect match. How they can do that and not include any of their core or Spencer Hawes (who Boston will not take) is unclear. Advantage PELS.

Grizzlies: They have the large expiring of Tayshaun Prince...and the 29th or 30th of 2017? That's right Memphis is in the same position as us. They might potentially owe their 2015 to Cleveland, so that can't trade their 2016. No way they trade their 2017 for Jeff Friggin Green and they most certainly are not trading any of their young talent..

that leaves

THE PELICANS: Our pu-pu platter deluxe of Withey, Rivers, and Salmons isn't the best potential deal, but its the best current deal. No other team in the league can offer Jeff Green his ideal role of "solid starter, nothing special" at his current rate of 2 years, 18 million without giving up some other more important opportunity cost. We can because we are hamstrung on Gordon for two more years anyway. We can double down on average guy like him, bolster a weakness and see what happens over the next season and a half.

Now Boston has put the kibash on that for now, as they should. No reason to jump at the pu pu platter special, but Jeff Green isn't moving the needle enough for Memphis to give up young assets, the Clippers can't do a deal this year that'll keep them under their hard cap and no other team has a need for a guy making 18 million that's not really a third banana. The offers won't improve.

Y'all really hope we get Jeff Green? He's not coming here and I'd rather wait next year to trade Gordon and get pieces we really need.

I really think if we get Gordon healthy and keep our roster healthy and intact we will make the playoffs.

You guys know the cap/trade situation better than I, but assuming it works would you trade our 2017 # 1 (say lottery protected) + Rivers or Salmons and filler for Green and maybe Nelson?

Thread Information