Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: PELS Interested In Jeff Green

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I think some of you really underestimate Gordon's trade value in terms of time. His 15m contract is off the books when many free agents become available. Kevin Durant obviously leads that class. Kobe, Howard, and Mike Conley also in the class as unrestricted FA. Lebron will most likely keep taking one year contracts until he finds the team he feels gives him multiple rings. That class of free agents will probably be best of all time if you include the restricted free agents.

For a team like the Celtics it is not a high risk situation. They don't have an AD to build around. It's all setting up future moves for them.
    He may have some value next year. More value then what his money off the books will bring the following offseason? That will be interesting to find out. But he can't even be traded to Boston straight up. Not sure if that was the implication of this post or not, but Im just covering the ground in case.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think it's very unlikely that we make any moves unless we move rivers. We can increase Gordon's value by not moving him and letting him play again. Increase his value and make the playoffs. That should be our goal. Trade him next year.
    If we make any moves this season it should be to add a veteran backup pg. Getting a starting SF isn't realistic IMO. Our team is good enough to make the playoffs.
    If we make any moves I would be comfortable moving Anderson, Gordon, Rivers... And a 2016 pick. The rest of our team must stay intact unless we get a really great deal.

How much of a monkey wrench does the Celtics plans of giving Marcus Smart as many minuets as possible play into the idea of moving Gordon for Green?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How much of a monkey wrench does the Celtics plans of giving Marcus Smart as many minuets as possible play into the idea of moving Gordon for Green?
    None. The Celtics will not trade for Gordon. No one on here makes any sense when it comes to this trade Gordon for Green. The Celtics can make a better deal with someone else.

If we trade with Celtics

I think it will be for Nelson. Maybe a Austin Rivers for Nelson but then i don't think that's making the team any better. So you looks for a third partner in the trade. Austin Rivers and 1st round pick from Hornets for Nelson and Green. You would have to give up a better piece though. Ryno or Reke but that's okay I guess neither of them is the Core.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He may have some value next year. More value then what his money off the books will bring the following offseason? That will be interesting to find out. But he can't even be traded to Boston straight up. Not sure if that was the implication of this post or not, but Im just covering the ground in case.
    Well Bradley is a combo guard. They have Nelson now and Smart at the point. Bradley and Thornton at the SG position. Thornton is a FA next year and so is Nelson. All indications are Green is gone.

Why do you not trade Green for a guard in this scenario? Especially one that has upside( minus injuries). You still clear a ton of cap space either way and grab one prized FA next year and then one of the really big fish the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    None. The Celtics will not trade for Gordon. No one on here makes any sense when it comes to this trade Gordon for Green. The Celtics can make a better deal with someone else.

If you refering to AUstin then I don't think we can cover the money differences.

Off topic the source mode button is default for replies, how do I change that it super annoying seeing layered text.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think it's very unlikely that we make any moves unless we move rivers. We can increase Gordon's value by not moving him and letting him play again. Increase his value and make the playoffs. That should be our goal. Trade him next year.
    If we make any moves this season it should be to add a veteran backup pg. Getting a starting SF isn't realistic IMO. Our team is good enough to make the playoffs.
    If we make any moves I would be comfortable moving Anderson, Gordon, Rivers... And a 2016 pick. The rest of our team must stay intact unless we get a really great deal.
    Is it? Have you looked at the playoff bracket recently and the quick resurgence of OKC?

I agree with most everything else but I don't think this is a playoff team considering the competition.

In fact I have a strong suspecion OKC will be sitting near or at the 8 seed by early January. Our schedule is brutal with 3 tough back to backs while they have one back to back(with the awful Hornets at home on the other side of that back to back), have most of their tough teams at home and with at least a day of rest. Then they have arguably as easy of a January schedule as us.

I think realistically we go 6-5 until our schedule eases up after the Grizzlies game on the 9th. While the Thunder very realistically could go 8-3 over the next 11 games.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Boston say's no. They want a 1st. I'm tempted to say yes but Gerald Wallace contract is a deal breaker.
    But he will leave Reno be.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    The other teams interested have mostly expirings next year. Weak FA class for the types of players that fit with their younger "core".

You have to think different with market teams like the Celtics. They can attract free agents there.

The Franchise
    The celtics have a 12 million trade exemption from Rondo so I'd guess they could make the trade and send a lot less back. If anyone thinks gordon can't be traded they're crazy. There are plenty of bad trades or signings. To me if they aren't great players they become assets and to be used as such. It doesn't make sense to trade for a player on a one year deal for a first round pick. Wait did t we just do that and paid an additional 8 million in salary? Can't say anything can't happen that's why they negotiate.

Well Bradley is a combo guard. They have Nelson now and Smart at the point. Bradley and Thornton at the SG position. Thornton is a FA next year and so is Nelson. All indications are Green is gone.

Why do you not trade Green for a guard in this scenario? Especially one that has upside( minus injuries). You still clear a ton of cap space either way and grab one prized FA next year and then one of the really big fish the next year.
    Again, Green for Gordon doesnt even work. Nor is there any indication that Boston is looking to play that type of re-building game. They are stockpiling draft picks like an Alex Jones follower is hoarding guns and canned food for the coming NWO. They are all in on the tank philosophy. We aren't getting Green for Gordon unless we take back some bad contracts, which makes no sense to do.

Rockets just waived Francisco Garcia. I think he's heading our way.

Again, Green for Gordon doesnt even work. Nor is there any indication that Boston is looking to play that type of re-building game. They are stockpiling draft picks like an Alex Jones follower is hoarding guns and canned food for the coming NWO. They are all in on the tank philosophy. We aren't getting Green for Gordon unless we take back some bad contracts, which makes no sense to do.
    I agree and have already stated we will have to take Wallace's contract. We can stretch his contract with no worries considering the cap spike coming up.

I agree and have already stated we will have to take Wallace's contract. We can stretch his contract with no worries considering the cap spike coming up.
    That is an awful deal then.

Can you explain to me why Jeff Green is worth taking on Wallace's contract? Even if we stretch it?

I posed a question on the last page that no one has yet to answer. What is so good about Jeff Green? Everything I have seen and read indicates he is not a talent worthy of that cost and doesnt fit in with what we need except that he is a SF.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-19-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Three Team Trade:

-Jeff Green & Jameer Nelson to Nola
    -Stephenson, Hairston & 1st to C's
    -Gordon & Fredette to Charlotte

Done..... tooo easyyy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Three Team Trade:

-Jeff Green & Jameer Nelson to Nola
    -Stephenson, Hairston & 1st to C's
    -Gordon & Fredette to Charlotte

Done..... tooo easyyy.
    Neither of those teams would agree to that.

The Franchise
    That is an awful deal then.

Can you explain to me why Jeff Green is worth taking on Wallace's contract? Even if we stretch it?

I posed a question on the last page that no one has yet to answer. What is so good about Jeff Green? Everything I have seen and read indicates he is not a talent worthy of that cost and doesnt fit in with what we need except that he is a SF.
    I'm with you that I'd rather Wilson Chandler but we have to upgrade the SF spot. I don't want to just go to the playoffs I want to make waves.

Yes they can do a deal because they have a 12 million dollar exception so I believe we can do a one for one and I'm willing to give a conditional one to do it. I doubt we can do that with the nuggets.

Is it? Have you looked at the playoff bracket recently and the quick resurgence of OKC?

I agree with most everything else but I don't think this is a playoff team considering the competition.

In fact I have a strong suspecion OKC will be sitting near or at the 8 seed by early January. Our schedule is brutal with 3 tough back to backs while they have one back to back(with the awful Hornets at home on the other side of that back to back), have most of their tough teams at home and with at least a day of rest. Then they have arguably as easy of a January schedule as us.

I think realistically we go 6-5 until our schedule eases up after the Grizzlies game on the 9th. While the Thunder very realistically could go 8-3 over the next 11 games.
    We are good enough to make the playoffs and I think we will. Before the season started I predicted they'd be 9th in the west and miss the playoffs.

I agree the thunder is a threat no doubt. Remember we beat the thunder when they had Durant and Westbrook. We also beat the spurs and the rockets. We gave golden state a lot of problems in our last game with them. We also pushed the CAVS around quite a bit in our win over them.

I think if we are at full strength we will be in the playoffs. I think Portland or thunder will fall out. The pelicans are better than Portland. We will be a top ten team by the end of the season. We just need to be consistent. Players like Anderson, Cunningham, and Tyreke will have a significant impact on what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I'm with you that I'd rather Wilson Chandler but we have to upgrade the SF spot. I don't want to just go to the playoffs I want to make waves.

Yes they can do a deal because they have a 12 million dollar exception so I believe we can do a one for one and I'm willing to give a conditional one to do it. I doubt we can do that with the nuggets.
    If we finish 9th or 10th in the West this season do we get to keep that pick or does the Rockets get it?

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post

Again though, can you or somebody sell me on why Jeff Green deserves giving up an asset like a first rounder? Conditional or not? Can someone explain to me how he pushes us over the edge or cements a long-term championship caliber roster? I see a guy who is not a good shooter, is ball dominate, a bad rebounder, below average defender, low BBIQ , will hurt spacing. Who's best assets (attacking the rim) are redundant with Evans on the roster. Maybe if we had a more traditional shooting guard like Morrow, Matthews, Thompson or Beal, he would be an interesting piece to take a chance on.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If we finish 9th or 10th in the West this season do we get to keep that pick or does the Rockets get it?
    They get it. 1-3, 20-30 protected. Us just missing the playoffs is exactly what the Rockets are banking on and they are likely going to be right.

Again though, can you or somebody sell me on why Jeff Green deserves giving up an asset like a first rounder? Conditional or not? Can someone explain to me how he pushes us over the edge or cements a long-term championship caliber roster? I see a guy who is not a good shooter, is ball dominate, a bad rebounder, below average defender, low BBIQ , will hurt spacing. Who's best assets (attacking the rim) are redundant with Evans on the roster. Maybe if we had a more traditional shooting guard like Morrow, Matthews, Thompson or Beal, he would be an interesting piece to take a chance on.
    What if it was gordon starting with him instead?

They get it. 1-3, 20-30 protected. Us just missing the playoffs is exactly what the Rockets are banking on and they are likely going to be right.
    We have looked much better lately and EG will be back soon.

Cunningham has also been a huge boost.

Thread Information