Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Gameday Thread - Pels vs Warriors

refs called this game one sided but a good game hopefully Jrue and Reke can keep up this play.

1-6

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    WOW! I had very good seats at this game and I will say Jrue is amazing on defense. Reke plays 100 percent and is amazing. Also, Babbitt plays defense better than I thought. Also, Cunningham could start at the 3 but I love him off the bench. He's a steal especially given his defense and hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    You're the one said "the 2nd issue is Evans", and I point out that Reke is very down the list of why he is not the 2nd issue it is not even close. Game don't win or lose on the last min of the regulation.

As for ISO ball, Reke drive is ISO, Curry's pick and 3 isn't? If you're a warrior fan will you blame Curry/Klay to shoot themselves out of the game? If you pay attention Curry/Klay play a lot of hero ball as well.

As for one of the 1-4 flat on one of the last play, most team run that play at the end.
    The closing of the fourth is what separates the good from the great. Both players and Coaches IMO.

A couple instances of ISO ball with a hot hand is fine, but it was clear that GS was gambling on Evans keeping the ball, they clogged the paint and kept tight on him and kept someone in front of him throughout the end of the game and if he got past his defender they were extremely quick on help defense. He has to recognize that he has other players and not force the issue. Thats when you win by assist or use it to get the defense to back off you again.

The day he can put together the performances we have seen over the last several games AND starts making better decisions in the closing moments of games - namely, recognizing when the defenses have effectively adjusted and he can switch to using their focus on him to get easy buckets for his teammates and then force them to move away from zeroing in on him, allowing him to go back to attacking - is the day he will grow from a promising young talent to a all star level veteran IMO.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Needed Ryno tonight, both he and Babbit were liabilities on the D and not nearly enough scoring from either. Cunningham should start over Babbit. A leak in any part of the defense causes a flood and Ryno got torched by the PF of Golden State.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    One key foul that I cannot get out of my head was when Klay was backing down Reke in the third (?) and the refs just randomly called a foul because he "had his hands on his back." That gave Reke his fourth.
    If you're defending someone with his back to the basket, you're only permitted to have one arm/hand on the back. Both arms/hands is always an automatic whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The closing of the fourth is what separates the good from the great. Both players and Coaches IMO.

A couple instances of ISO ball with a hot hand is fine, but it was clear that GS was gambling on Evans keeping the ball, they clogged the paint and kept tight on him and kept someone in front of him throughout the end of the game and if he got past his defender they were extremely quick on help defense. He has to recognize that he has other players and not force the issue. Thats when you win by assist or use it to get the defense to back off you again.

The day he can put together the performances we have seen over the last several games AND starts making better decisions in the closing moments of games - namely, recognizing when the defenses have effectively adjusted and he can switch to using their focus on him to get easy buckets for his teammates and then force them to move away from zeroing in on him, allowing him to go back to attacking - is the day he will grow from a promising young talent to a all star level veteran IMO.
    No one say Reke is a great player, the only issue I have is you calling him the 2nd reason we lose this game and you keep defer to another direction. I don't necessary away Monty is the 1st issue but there is a case that he might be.

We can play this game till 2050, I present you reasons/facts but it seen like nothing can change you mind on tonight's game. I am done on this topic.

Of course Iggy goes for is first 20 point game of the season against us
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    No one say Reke is a great player, the only issue I have is you calling him the 2nd reason we lose this game and you keep defer to another direction. I don't necessary away Monty is the 1st issue but there is a case that he might be.

We can play this game till 2050, I present you reasons/facts but it seen like nothing can change you mind on tonight's game. I am done on this topic.
    The game was in his hands, by coach and by his acceptance. Yes, if Ryno plays better this game likely doesnt go to OT. But we still had a chance to win the game, Evans was the guy who got the redlight to handle the offense to end the game and start OT and he played poorly overall.

Evans came back in with us still up by 1 with 2:00 left.

First play is Jrue working the D to find an open Cunningham, who hits, 109-106

GS scores and next possession is the charge play. Thats the moment the game becomes Evans. Until then Jrue was the ball handler, now it is Evans from here out. He demanded the ball too, which I didn't realize on initial watch. Maybe that was at coaches order but it didn't look like it.

First play he forces it into the paint but draws a foul. But the defense looked very ready for it.

Jrue then takes the ball away on the defensive end, gives to Evans. Evans plays iso, dribbles out the clock for no good reason, does a crossover and then takes a HORRIBLE mid range shot with around 8 on the shot clock.

Next play Evans loses his man, tries to overhelp and gives up the open three that leads to foul and the Warriors go up.

Next Play, Evans inbounds to Jrue then back to Evans, Iso AGAIN. Evans tries to attack but the help D is quick and knock the ball out of bounds. Then the team drops an egg trying to get open on the inbounds. Evans, then Jrue save a hail mary inbound and the Ryno shot is blocked.

Then it is the Stupid Monty last second call, Evans could of passed to a wide open Jrue but I know they were looking for contact.

This entire series to close the fourth is what I mean by it being a bad decisions to pull Evans and then bring him back. We forced the offense to adjust without Evans, and Evans was forced to stop playing while being the hot hand. The offense is slow to adjust without Evans and then we panic and put him back in. Now the offensive flow is gone. We have Evans thinking he needs to win the game for us and the rest of the team not knowing whether to keep playing like they were without Evans or whether they are just supposed to stand and watch.

OT:

Curry gets a screen and wide open midranger.

Evans started off strong with a smart pass to Ryno who missed it,

Evans then plays good D on Thompson and then gets contact on the other end. Again, good start.

GS then starts playing smart basketball. Curry uses two screens to get a switch of cunnighman on curry which allows hm to dribble and draw space and drop off to Draymond Green who helped get Ryno out of position and turns it into a And-1.

We stick with little ball movement and all Evans. Evans passes up an initial screen in favor of isolation against Barnes where he takes it inside against a defense that was ready and forces a tough inside shot where the defense collapsed on him and he had Cunningham on an easy dump off, Ryno and Babbitt wide open at the arc. The shot is blocked and luckily Babbitt gets it and takes a shot but misses. This play is all on Evans. The team was using screens off ball to gain position and Evans passed up the initial screen thus cutting off any off ball movement.

Where GS played smart offense we tried to force the issue.

Next play they use a screen to get Cunningham on Curry again and Curry fakes a screen and Cunningham looks like he was gonna go under and Curry makes them pay with a three.

Evans initially passes it to Babbitt to get better position, gets the ball back and LITERALLY forces it up against 4 defenders collapsing on him. Cunningham is open for a midrange, Ryno is under the hoop with no one in front of him and Babbitt is open at 3. Again Evans stops ball movement in favor of attacking in isolation.

Its been all iso ball so far though.

Then Evans fouls himself out by going after Iggy on the break when he should of just let him have a basket he was gonna get.

A lot of that stuff is on the Coach for not setting our players up for success at critical moments and switching up the offensive flow in the closing minutes to save Evans for a couple possessions, but Monty doesnt control the decision making of Evans on isolation. That is ALL on him. Evans asked for the ball at the end of the fourth, something I missed on initial watch. Maybe Monty called that out but he called for it on two possessions. GS started OT playing smart basketball, creating mismatches and attacking the mismatches. We rode the ISO train into defeat and just jacked shots. And before someone says GS did too, they didn't. Every Curry shot was after he drew a mismatch or got his defender lost on a screen. Draymond Green got Ryno off guard and then got Jrue on a mismatch. Our shots were literally just jacking them up most of the time.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-14-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The game was in his hands, by coach and by his acceptance. Yes, if Ryno plays better this game likely doesnt go to OT. But we still had a chance to win the game, Evans was the guy who got the redlight to handle the offense to end the game and start OT and he played poorly overall.
    I think you meant green light

haha yeah.

I liked how we played . It was a close game without our best player . The team has done beyond expectations...

I really love the addition of Cunningham. His activity on defensive glass and mid range shooting are just what the doctor ordered. Whitney was way better than Ajinc, he has no particular skills but was a hustler and good free throw shooter. Man, Omer looked lost with the ball when he was unable to just dunk it. he was good at foiling curry's drives, but he lacked offensive production to justify time on court. Can the training staff teach him a go to move? Omer would be scary
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Pelicans And we bash EG because he makes 40+ million

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    great game by the team to almost win it there in the 4th. some great individual performances, and solid team performances, but still a way to go.

We really need to work on our shooting. Babbitt, Omer, Jimmer, Rivers all below 40% true shooting this game, Ryno 42%. That is a poor showing.
    Time to bash Ryno, he makes 40+ mil to shoot like this?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Time to bash Ryno, he makes 40+ mil to shoot like this?
    Ryno makes just over 8 mill a year.

And he's WELL WORTH IT.

Kinda dissapointed in Babbit as a starter. I thought Babbit could be kinda like our Mike Dunleavy, but so far he really is playing more like an end of the bench guy

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Kinda dissapointed in Babbit as a starter. I thought Babbit could be kinda like our Mike Dunleavy, but so far he really is playing more like an end of the bench guy
    Really? I thought he's doing a good job stabilizing the first unit. Get a few rebounds, knock down some 3s, play ok defense.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Really? I thought he's doing a good job stabilizing the first unit. Get a few rebounds, knock down some 3s, play ok defense.
    Same. I love Babbitt in that lineup and i really am concerned on what happens when Gordon comes back.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Babbitt is really starting to fill a void for us being that 3-ball guy we always wanted at the SF position, if only he was just a little quicker on defense

He hits a couple 3s a game but he doesnt contribute much any other way. I was hoping he had a little more offensive game and was just under-utilized in the past. But it doesnt seem like it so far, he isn't hurting anything but I dont think he'd get playing time on most teams
    Last edited by speedyG; 12-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    I liked how we played . It was a close game without our best player . The team has done beyond expectations...
    everything considered, I pretty much feel the same way..... not only was this one close, but one questionable call going the other way and there wouldn't have been a need for overtime.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    He hits a couple 3s a game but he doesnt contribute much any other way. I was hoping he had a little more offensive game and was just under-utilized in the past. But it doesnt seem like it so far, he isn't hurting anything but I dont think he'd get playing time on most teams
    Definitely not, but I think a lot of it is the fact he is the 4th option for the team with the starters. I mean Jrue, Evans, and davis are all gonna get there's first.

Though I do feel we should get him a couple more open threes a game. We should be shooting more then we do currently. Frankly if it weren't for Ryno I'd have to imagine we'd be one of the lower three point shooting teams. Though I admit I haven't looked up the stats on that one.

21st in 3PA per game (20 per game), though our last 3 games we have averaged 24.3. We average more on the road than at home: 19.7 Away: 20.2

BUT its a big improvement on our 15.9 from last season.

We are 18th for 3pt% - 34.1%

Ryno is tied 4th with harden for 3PA per game - 6.83, our next closest is Jrue at 84th - 3.43.

Babbitt however is 7th in the league for 3pt% with 47.9% which is pretty good, just need to get the looks for him (only 2.5 per game). I didn't expect that.

Jrue is 70th at 36.7%, and Ryno is not even in the top 100 - 33.1%

All stats from teamrankings.com

Thread Information