Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is the most overrated player in the NBA?

Who is the most overrated player in the NBA?

Simple question really, who do you think is the most overrated player currently playing in the NBA, and why? I am sure we will see a lot of different answers, but tell us who and expound on why, so as we can see where your coming from.

My vote goes to Carmelo Anthony. He scores a lot of points and that's about it. To his credit he has never shot below .426, but he has never been a guy you can build your franchise around and expect him to take them anywhere. Even if you were to say he was part of some good teams with the Nuggets, that was more Chauncy Billups doing than Melo's. I don't know how he keeps getting max contracts, but he does, and I honestly can't point out why. Had Gordon stayed healthy his entire career and played in a bigger market I could see him being Melo, max contract guy, willing to take the shot, expected to be a leader, can play in most offenses, etc. but Gordon will at least feign defense, Melo doesn't have time for that.

In conclusion, Melo is my pick for the most overrated player in the NBA, so who's yours.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    This season and this year only it's Kobe Bryant. The dude is going to make the all star game because of who is he and he's leading the NBA in scoring. But what an all star appearance wont show is that the guy is shooting 39% from the floor and 27.6% from 3.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    In lieu of the fact that you already chose Carmelo,

I'll go with Kyrie Irving/James Harden for pretty much the same reasons as you listed above.

They give you offense, but nothing more and they have max contracts.
    Add to this that Kyrie has never been to the postseason (will this year but only cause of Lebron)
    and Harden (rode KD/Westbrook coattails to playoffs) disappears in the playoffs and it compounds the overrating.

The media & most fans overrate them because defense is undervalued nowadays.

Melo and it ain't even close IMO. As much flack as espn and and stephen a. Smith gives Jay cutler and his ridiculous contract, they forget to do the same to his NBA equivalent and equally ridiculous contract. Volume shooter, horrid defender with the physical gifts to be a good one. I wish I was one of the stat/record compiling gurus here: I know the nuggets have a better record since the trade than the Knicks, I would love to see a knicks win percentage with Melo vs one with out. I don't think the numbers would be drastically different pointing to the Knicks being good with Melo and being the same without him. Watching the Knicks this year is night and day when Melo is out. Amare has adjusted to his loss of explosiveness and atheleticsm, and the Knicks look good when ran through him. my overrated 5 is Melo, james "bail out" harden, deandre Jordan, Derrick Rose, and Kobe Bryant , but Melo is miles ahead of them as the most overrated player .

Banned
    Here are the worst starters and it includes a pelican

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/10/all...andon-jennings

I'll probably get some blow back but I would say Gordon Hayward. He is wayyyy to hot and cold.

I'd have to say Deron Williams.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    good one.

Banned
    good one.

Most overrated for me would have to go to Derrick Rose (Especially if we are going by 2k15 ratings. In that case throw Kobe in there too). He just isn't playing at an elite level right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    In lieu of the fact that you already chose Carmelo,

I'll go with Kyrie Irving/James Harden for pretty much the same reasons as you listed above.

They give you offense, but nothing more and they have max contracts.
    Add to this that Kyrie has never been to the postseason (will this year but only cause of Lebron)
    and Harden (rode KD/Westbrook coattails to playoffs) disappears in the playoffs and it compounds the overrating.

The media & most fans overrate them because defense is undervalued nowadays.
    As a guy who lives in Houston and watches a lot of Rockets games, I think you haven't seen Harden play this year. He now makes an effort and has posted some great numbers and his defensive play has been outstanding. And I know you will probably show me the video where he just stops at mid court while the opposing team goes on a fast break, but with him its all about effort and the defensive end.

Lets look at some of his stats:
    James Harden: Offensive rating: 114 Defensive Rating: 96 Assists per game: 6.4 Rebounds per game: 6.4 Usage: 31%.

Those stats show that he gets his team involved and while he is on the court the defense does not lack. With about three starters being out for a majority amount of the time and the team is still on the top of the West, its pretty outstanding. Watch some more Rockets games and get back to me his involvement, I personally think he is the early season MVP unless the Pelicans make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Here are the worst starters and it includes a pelican

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/10/all...andon-jennings

I'll probably get some blow back but I would say Gordon Hayward. He is wayyyy to hot and cold.
    Gordon has the lowest PER of the wings on that team
    and yet the highest shooting percentage?

Yea that is pretty good. Melo is high up there, Josh Smith, but I think we are getting to know how bad he really is. I think Rose can still play and when healthy can give the Bulls an edge in the playoffs.

Gordon has the lowest PER of the wings on that team
    and yet the highest shooting percentage?
    It's a per minute rating which kills him at 31 MPG

It's quite sad when I think of the 3 guys Brooklyn is trying to trade, that I see him as the most potential upside of those 3.

How the mighty have fallen.

It's quite sad when I think of the 3 guys Brooklyn is trying to trade, that I see him as the most potential upside of those 3.

How the mighty have fallen.
    If money wasn't the issue, Joe Johnson would be the guy I would get, because he doesn't have an injury problem. Lopez and DWill are constantly injured or have nagging injuries. No way I ant one of those guys on the Pelicans.

Joe johnson, deron williams, and josh smith.

For me it's Kevin Love. Never really liked him or his game and then when he went to the Cavs I really disliked him. I think he's good, but not a top 10 guy like some would say. Maybe not even top 15.

Hard to argue with the Mellow nomination, but I just got to get on the Kobe bus. Has Kobe not gone to the AS game on name alone in the last 5 years. fwiw, seems a lot of the Harden chatter is in response to the pregame/halftime gushing on him during the ESPN broadcast over AD for MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Hard to argue with the Mellow nomination, but I just got to get on the Kobe bus. Has Kobe not gone to the AS game on name alone in the last 5 years. fwiw, seems a lot of the Harden chatter is in response to the pregame/halftime gushing on him during the ESPN broadcast over AD for MVP.
    No not really about harden. He was crowned a too 5 player about 3 years ago and people started pointing out his ... Propensity for lacking defensive awareness everywhere; not just here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPillowTlk View Post
    If money wasn't the issue, Joe Johnson would be the guy I would get, because he doesn't have an injury problem. Lopez and DWill are constantly injured or have nagging injuries. No way I ant one of those guys on the Pelicans.
    Same here. Joe fits and has a better injury history.
    Dat contract tho....... Without it, lots of teams would be in the running because of his performance in the clutch.

I didn't even realize that D. Williams is already 30 years old.
    For some reason I thought he was younger. (around 26-27)

Would still rather Jrue than Williams though.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPillowTlk View Post
    As a guy who lives in Houston and watches a lot of Rockets games, I think you haven't seen Harden play this year. He now makes an effort and has posted some great numbers and his defensive play has been outstanding. And I know you will probably show me the video where he just stops at mid court while the opposing team goes on a fast break, but with him its all about effort and the defensive end.

Lets look at some of his stats:
    James Harden: Offensive rating: 114 Defensive Rating: 96 Assists per game: 6.4 Rebounds per game: 6.4 Usage: 31%.

Those stats show that he gets his team involved and while he is on the court the defense does not lack. With about three starters being out for a majority amount of the time and the team is still on the top of the West, its pretty outstanding. Watch some more Rockets games and get back to me his involvement, I personally think he is the early season MVP unless the Pelicans make the playoffs.
    So having Patrick Beverly guarding the best offensive player in opponents' backcourt has nothing to do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    For me it's Kevin Love. Never really liked him or his game and then when he went to the Cavs I really disliked him. I think he's good, but not a top 10 guy like some would say. Maybe not even top 15.

I don't know if he is the most overrated because the NBA is full of them but Love is definitely in the conversation.

What does he give you that Ryan Anderson doesn't give you for a fraction of the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    I don't know if he is the most overrated because the NBA is full of them but Love is definitely in the conversation.

What does he give you that Ryan Anderson doesn't give you for a fraction of the cost?
    This.

Ryno = Love light?

NOOOOOO

Love = Ryno (with inflated Dealer undercoating surcharges!)

its kobe, its been Kobe since hes joined the league, most overrated of all time, innefficient chucker, unwilling passer, clutch moments only based on volume alone, etc, etc, etc

Banned
    Kemba Walker is Mini-Kobe. Horrible shooter and bad on defense. Under 40% in all his season but 1. that was 42.5.

Thread Information