Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AD vs. Harden

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    no arguing about it. Rockets are 17-5 on the back of Harden. His defense this year has been right up there, and his offense has been killing it. Not saying his defense has been perfect, but it has seen a massive improvement this year. Rockets are top 3 in the entire league. He is leading PPG at 26.4, and is second for total points at 581. Curry and cp3 are the only two I would possibly sit higher than him. Harden is 4th in OWS and first in DWS, 3rd in WS, 5th WS48 as per basketball reference. 7th highest PER in the league, 2nd box plus/minus, 2nd VORP. It really is him curry and cp3, so top 3 guard easily, let alone top 5.
    I agree with this. This year, he's easily a top 3 guard. Anyone who says he's a one way player hasn't been watching him this season. His defense is WAYYY better than in past seasons. It's night and day.

I don't discredit it but I'm going to have to see Harden's defense all year first. This season and playoff will be a big test for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I agree with this. This year, he's easily a top 3 guard. Anyone who says he's a one way player hasn't been watching him this season. His defense is WAYYY better than in past seasons. It's night and day.
    He is a one way player. Anybody that says otherwise has never watched him period. I'll take the body of work he has put out for his entire career over the 1st quarter of a season. Can he be a better defender this year? Sure he can but doesn't mean he is just because of a good start. Harden is one of my favorite players but to say his defense is way better than last season means nothing about him being a good defender.

I don't discredit it but I'm going to have to see Harden's defense all year first. This season and playoff will be a big test for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    He is a one way player. Anybody that says otherwise has never watched him period. I'll take the body of work he has put out for his entire career over the 1st quarter of a season. Can he be a better defender this year? Sure he can but doesn't mean he is just because of a good start. Harden is one of my favorite players but to say his defense is way better than last season means nothing about him being a good defender.
    Not disagreeing with the idea of "lets see him maintain for an entire season". I also have not stated he could do it in the playoffs. But he is easily a top 3 guard right now. Nowhere have I stated he is a top 3 guard for the entire season, clearly we haven't played the entire season.

Harden is one of my favorite players but to say his defense is way better than last season means nothing about him being a good defender.
    Not really sure what this sentence is trying to say? That because his defense last season was poor, an improvement means nothing? Either way It doesn't really matter. Harden is a top 3 guard right now at this very point in time. I don't care if he drops to last next week. I was merely pointing out that it isn't really "arguable" about him being a top 5 guard. He is carrying Houston to 3rd in the league, that says it all. I don't think it Is sustainable, but that again isn't the point.

Would I pick Harden over AD? No. But credit to the man for his performances, and stepping up when the team needed him too.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Personally I find this an irrelevant argument. The one I much prefer is: who would I rather in the playoffs?

The answer is AD because as has been shown multiple times, Hardens game doesn't translate. If he can't get calls he sucks.
    Even if Harden got calls, if the question is straight up, who would you rather? It's AD and it's not close.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    He's always had the tools and abilities to be a good defender, the effort just wasn't there. This year he has been a two way player. I understand wanting to see it an entire season before labeling him a good defender. My point is he's done it so far this season and proven, to me at least, to be the best SG in the league.

He's always had the tools and abilities to be a good defender, the effort just wasn't there. This year he has been a two way player. I understand wanting to see it an entire season before labeling him a good defender. My point is he's done it so far this season and proven, to me at least, to be the best SG in the league.
    If you exclude Paul George bc of injury, absolutely. Then again I think the talent is about as thin as it has been in probably my entire lifetime. And again, if we're just comparing this year, we have to discuss Monta Ellis as well.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I really don't like compare two different positions .

Harden is a one way player that's for sure . But he's a terrific scorer , can create his own shot and has very good playmaking abilities . ( These last two create the difference between Pelicans and Rockets )

AD is a two way player but offensively he's dependent on the others because of his position , which is totally normal . Just remember bosh on toronto . ( Plus bosh wasn't that good on defense like AD )
    Last edited by moon54; 12-14-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If you exclude Paul George bc of injury, absolutely. Then again I think the talent is about as thin as it has been in probably my entire lifetime. And again, if we're just comparing this year, we have to discuss Monta Ellis as well.
    Paul George plays more SF than SG, doesn't he? Ellis is having a great year as well, but Harden is single handedly carrying Houston to a great record.

Paul George plays more SF than SG, doesn't he? Ellis is having a great year as well, but Harden is single handedly carrying Houston to a great record.
    I think George was move from the 2 to 3 bc of Stephenson's emergence. I'm not sure that's a fair assessment about Houston. Sure he's the demon's head on that squad, but there's a lot of other players contributing. Terrance Jones is averaging 14 ppg on 52% shooting. Montiejunas is finally showing he's a NBA player with 10 ppg for 50% shooting (which is pretty outlandish for a jump shooting 4. Pat Beverly is shooting 3's at a pretty crazy rate (46% and takes 6 a game). The only player that's been disappointing is Ariza. Also, i think it's tough to say he's carried a team when they've only played 11 games without Howard and are 8-3 without him; 10-1 with him (Howard). Seems like they're just playing strongly as a team together more than Harden is carrying them IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think George was move from the 2 to 3 bc of Stephenson's emergence. I'm not sure that's a fair assessment about Houston. Sure he's the demon's head on that squad, but there's a lot of other players contributing. Terrance Jones is averaging 14 ppg on 52% shooting. Montiejunas is finally showing he's a NBA player with 10 ppg for 50% shooting (which is pretty outlandish for a jump shooting 4. Pat Beverly is shooting 3's at a pretty crazy rate (46% and takes 6 a game). The only player that's been disappointing is Ariza. Also, i think it's tough to say he's carried a team when they've only played 11 games without Howard and are 8-3 without him; 10-1 with him (Howard). Seems like they're just playing strongly as a team together more than Harden is carrying them IMHO.
    Yeah... Terrence Jones has only played 4 games this year.
    Reach harder

Thread Information