Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21

Thread: Game Day Thread! Pelicans vs. Mavericks 12/10/14

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think we should have our championship roster by 2016-2017 season. Playoffs must happen because we need the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think we should have our championship roster by 2016-2017 season. Playoffs must happen because we need the experience.
    We will more than likely need to make the playoffs several times before reaching a finals. Thats the thing. When will the #8 seed get swept or 4-1 happen?? It needs to happen ASAP. Our team isn't built to keep waiting TIL next year. We are built to win now. No draft picks, no cap room, and a fairly young but def a young vet like team. You're a young vet in the NBA after 3-4 years. Imo. We have to start this early exit playoff cycle soon. That's all I'm saying. Cause we aren't reaching the finals in our first 1-3 years of making the playoffs. Look at the clippers, Grizzlies, Warriors, etc. I know how hard it'll be to make playoffs this year, but this year had to be playoffs or bust in the mind of everyone involved in this organization before the season started.

That was a great game! Well coached, and well executed for 3 quarters by each team. We sucked in the 1st, they sucked in the 2nd, and we played them close in the 3rd and 4th. Davis came out lethargic, but settled into a great rhythm down the stretch. Same with Holiday. Ellis just out-shot the Pelicans in the 4th, despite good defense on many of his makes.
    Asik had a terrible offensive game. Anderson had a bad game. Rivers played like Rivers. Mekel played out of control. Despite all that we were in the game until 13 seconds left, against a 16-7 team that has been building for over 10 years, at their arena.

I am a sad panda right now. Oh well, at least the team was competitive
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Our team isn't built to keep waiting TIL next year. We are built to win now. No draft picks, no cap room, and a fairly young but def a young vet like team. You're a young vet in the NBA after 3-4 years. Imo. We have to start this early exit playoff cycle soon.
    How is this team not built to wait? I don't agree with everyone saying we are built to win now. Dell is clearly trying to put together a young team that can start to contend SOON, not straight away. To me it looks like he is building big picture, and long term, whether he thinks he is here or not. This team if it made the playoffs next year, could potentially stay at that level and keep growing for another 10 years with AD and gang. There would definitely be roster changes here or there, but a young solid core lets you maintain for an extended period, not blow to the finals and then die off a season later. If we finish outside the top 8, say OKC takes 8, then next year we make playoffs potentially, then we had another 8-10+ years in the running, wouldn't these years seem like a well thought out build in hindsight? Think outside of this season and next when looking at how we are performing now. Even if we made playoffs 2016/17 with our core roster, i wouldn't put us as championship contenders with the lack of playoff experience we have now. Thoughts could change with pieces that come and go, but lets take it one step at a time. Let's make the 8 in the next few years and get that core chemistry down. ,

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    How is this team not built to wait? I don't agree with everyone saying we are built to win now. Dell is clearly trying to put together a young team that can start to contend SOON, not straight away. To me it looks like he is building big picture, and long term, whether he thinks he is here or not. This team if it made the playoffs next year, could potentially stay at that level and keep growing for another 10 years with AD and gang. There would definitely be roster changes here or there, but a young solid core lets you maintain for an extended period, not blow to the finals and then die off a season later. If we finish outside the top 8, say OKC takes 8, then next year we make playoffs potentially, then we had another 8-10+ years in the running, wouldn't these years seem like a well thought out build in hindsight? Think outside of this season and next when looking at how we are performing now. Even if we made playoffs 2016/17 with our core roster, i wouldn't put us as championship contenders with the lack of playoff experience we have now. Thoughts could change with pieces that come and go, but lets take it one step at a time. Let's make the 8 in the next few years and get that core chemistry down. ,
    Mainly, what I'm getting at. Is that I don't think Dell, and Monty have that long. When you trade away your 1st rd picks 3 years in a row. You are definately all in for the now. No way around it. I think the $$ we spent on tyreke evans could of been spent much more wisely on 2 more pieces for this team also. Dell demps (IMO) is on the clock now, not later.

Don't forget we were missing Gordon too.

Heaps of positives tonight.

When was the last time Monty drew up to great late game plays?

Yes we may have given up 3 picks but with a talent like AD you can't wait for those 3 picks to develop.
    I think it's hindsight now, but I still think Evan's is a bad fit for this team and is too one dimensional.

I think we have a nice core of with AD, Asik and Jrue moving forward.
    So if you look at it that way we used 3 picks to get two quality players....no big deal.

We didn't just drop 3 picks on a plate and give them away for nothing. We didn't sell our future for now at all.

We gave away a 1st round pick in what will go down as possibly the weakest draft EVER and another pick that is a Euro stash for Jrue Holiday. An All-Star PG who is less than a month older than Lillard.

We have another pick which will be a mid round pick and eventually (possibly this year, possibly not) be given away for a top 3 defensive center and the big body that keeps AD from having to bang with other centers.

How is our future not bright as hell?

Tyreke needs to become more consistent or be traded

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Tyreke needs to become more consistent or be traded
    He didn't have the matchup tonight and to be quite frank, he didnt have the ball in his hands tonight.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Mainly, what I'm getting at. Is that I don't think Dell, and Monty have that long. When you trade away your 1st rd picks 3 years in a row. You are definately all in for the now. No way around it. I think the $$ we spent on tyreke evans could of been spent much more wisely on 2 more pieces for this team also. Dell demps (IMO) is on the clock now, not later.
    So if Dell didn't trade away 3 first round picks and instead we had a bunch of average NBA players (just look what became of our picks), his job wouldn't be on the line? I actually think if he made the picks, he probably would of been fired sooner, because we wouldn't even be remotely close to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    So if Dell didn't trade away 3 first round picks and instead we had a bunch of average NBA players (just look what became of our picks), his job wouldn't be on the line? I actually think if he made the picks, he probably would of been fired sooner, because we wouldn't even be remotely close to the playoffs.
    dell is on the clock cause he's been here long enough to put together his kind of team he visions. didn't say him trading away those 3 1st rd picks is only reason why his job is on the line. Our core is set by him making the moves he did. That's the point. Is this core good enough to contend for a championship? I don't think so. We shall see tho. I love our 3 of holiday, asik, and davis, but we still lack that closer. See ellis last night. We lack that guy we can go to in crunch time when we desperately need a bucket. That type of guy is part of every championship core. We don't have that on this roster. It was said by most if not all involved wit this organization that this year the playoffs were expected. I think if changes are going to be made. They happen after this year. So, the new gm will be able to handle our cap room that we have coming with eg coming off the books. This team honestly has no identity what so ever. They hit the nail on the head last night (jvg,mj) asking who are we? What is the pelicans identity? We honestly don't have 1. We play a lot of random basketball if u know what i mean. I will say those 2 signings we just made (cunningham,mekel) have made a huge difference in our bench. Very surprising to say the least.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 12-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.

I agree with the premise of this post about them being on the clock; but i dont think we're all in for the now. I think they're on the clock to show progress, not to win it all (what i assume we mean by all in). I think Monty is on the clock and Dell is on a little slower timeline. but... JIMO

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I agree with the premise of this post about them being on the clock; but i dont think we're all in for the now. I think they're on the clock to show progress, not to win it all (what i assume we mean by all in). I think Monty is on the clock and Dell is on a little slower timeline. but... JIMO
    yea maybe i should phrase it better. I don't think we are in win now meaning we must win a finals now or in 1-2 years. I think we are in win now meaning a playoff team with our core as set. I 100% believe it is playoffs or bust this year with monty or/and dell's job on the line.

yea maybe i should phrase it better. I don't think we are in win now meaning we must win a finals now or in 1-2 years. I think we are in win now meaning a playoff team with our core as set. I 100% believe it is playoffs or bust this year with monty or/and dell's job on the line.
    I think its close to that. I think we need to be in the mid to late 40s or early 50s in wins if we dont make make the playoffs this year for them to be here next year.

I think its close to that. I think we need to be in the mid to late 40s or early 50s in wins if we dont make make the playoffs this year for them to be here next year.
    agree. We can't be a sub .500 team and need to be a little better than .500 as well. I think if we can finish with 48+wins I'd honestly consider that a successful season. I also think that can get us in the playoffs. The standings and records as is are a little skewed as of now. A few teams will come down to earth mid to late season. coupled with injuries as well.

agree. We can't be a sub .500 team and need to be a little better than .500 as well. I think if we can finish with 48+wins I'd honestly consider that a successful season. I also think that can get us in the playoffs. The standings and records as is are a little skewed as of now. A few teams will come down to earth mid to late season. coupled with injuries as well.
    Yeah thats why i'm not sure if there will be a hardline for the playoffs. We can control what we can control, if the 8 seed has a 68% win %, i don't think Monty and Dell should be accountable for that.

Yeah thats why i'm not sure if there will be a hardline for the playoffs. We can control what we can control, if the 8 seed has a 68% win %, i don't think Monty and Dell should be accountable for that.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We didn't just drop 3 picks on a plate and give them away for nothing. We didn't sell our future for now at all.

We gave away a 1st round pick in what will go down as possibly the weakest draft EVER and another pick that is a Euro stash for Jrue Holiday. An All-Star PG who is less than a month older than Lillard.

We have another pick which will be a mid round pick and eventually (possibly this year, possibly not) be given away for a top 3 defensive center and the big body that keeps AD from having to bang with other centers.

How is our future not bright as hell?
    Underrated post.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information