Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have Ryno and Tyreke finally learnt to play team ball?

Have Ryno and Tyreke finally learnt to play team ball?

To begin the season, these two obviously were eager to have one heck of a season by ball hogging to extremes at one point. But the last couple of games, i've noticed both of them, especially Ryno haven't been jacking up shots left right and center as AD finally had 20 shot attempts last night, something he hadn't actually done for a long while..
    Although, Ryno seemed a bit too hesitant last night for my liking, it would be good if he could get a mix between the two, while reke should only ball hog when his hot.. and i think his learnt that.

Question is.. has Montys preaching of team ball finally rubbed onto these two?? Ball movement still hasn't been the best, but it was much better last night, and we stuck with a hot Dallas all game at their home, any other night and we probably would of beaten them.

No. Anderson is still a Jason Smith type where the ball just stops when he gets it.

Things Anderson needs to stop doing:

1. Stopping all team ball movement
    2. Shooting stupid step back fade-away jumpers
    3. Missing the majority of his wide open 3s.

Tyreke doesn't bother me. For some reason he cannot make layups on the road. It's just ridiculous.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So far Anderson is having his worst season.

btw Tyreke Evans is shooting the 3 better than Ryno. And no, that is not a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    btw Tyreke Evans is shooting the 3 better than Ryno. And no, that is not a typo.
    I'm sure a lot of it has to do with number of attempts. Ryno shoots a ton more than Reke.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with number of attempts. Ryno shoots a ton more than Reke.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    No. Anderson is still a Jason Smith type where the ball just stops when he gets it.

Tyreke doesn't bother me. For some reason he cannot make layups on the road. It's just ridiculous.
    +1

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Things Ryno needs to keep doing:
    Abusing the smaller guard on the block when they switch off a screen. Dude is an underrated post scorer, but he differs towards the perimeter for faders. Come on

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Yes but that also means he's missing a lot more lol

Quote Originally Posted by jrue_grit View Post
    Abusing the smaller guard on the block when they switch off a screen. Dude is an underrated post scorer, but he differs towards the perimeter for faders. Come on
    This times 10. His post game is very under rated. By why is it that EVERY TIME he has a smaller guy on him he takes that lower percentage fade away?

Quote Originally Posted by jrue_grit View Post
    dup

This times 10. His post game is very under rated. By why is it that EVERY TIME he has a smaller guard on his he takes that lower percentage fade away?
    This creates an anger bubble of rage for me everytime it happens, and probably wrongly so, i get more ticked when he makes it because you know we'll see it again.

It's refreshing to see people are finally getting on the same page as it relates to Ryno's play style. I've been beating this drum since last year. And I love the Jason Smith comparison. I've made the same comparison in the past which was why I was so ecstatic when we let Smith go to NY. I'm all for pairing Ryno with Reke for a superior talent if the opportunity presents itself.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

This times 10. His post game is very under rated. By why is it that EVERY TIME he has a smaller guy on him he takes that lower percentage fade away?
    Every. Single. Time. I've observed the same thing. Infuriating.

I really hope we can get 2013-2014 Rhyno... He was on fire when he played Las year. He elevated us past .500 and everything went to hell when he got hurt.

Ryno needs to get his legs under him. His shots look flat, and I suspect that's due to the lack of conditioning that comes with being out for so long.

If he made 38.1% of his 3s like he has over his career, I don't think anyone here would have an issue with him being a "ball stopper." That would produce 1.143 PPP, which is higher than our team average of 1.091 PPP.

I do wish he would take fewer long fadeaways just inside the arc.

Anderson should never be in the same sentence as Smith. That is an extreme over exaggeration. Anderson is having a rough start to the season, but he will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Anderson should never be in the same sentence as Smith. That is an extreme over exaggeration. Anderson is having a rough start to the season, but he will be fine.
    When it comes to stopping ball movement they are the exact same player.

At least smith never took a guard in the post only to take a step back fadeaway on a guy a foot shorter than him.

Anderson infuriates me when he does that and good teams are baiting him into it just like they did with smith's mid range game.

I'm surprised for all the Ryno hate and NONE for Tyreke.

Tyreke is AWFUL! He is a terrible fit for this team.

The biggest problem we have is that our team is not structured around Anthony Davis. Tyreke cannot get others involved. He is a ball stopper and a turnover machine.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Has anyone else notice that while Ryno is slumping on his shot,

he has been incredible on the offensive boards?

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    I'm surprised for all the Ryno hate and NONE for Tyreke.

Tyreke is AWFUL! He is a terrible fit for this team.

The biggest problem we have is that our team is not structured around Anthony Davis. Tyreke cannot get others involved. He is a ball stopper and a turnover machine.
    Yes you are correct. Tyreke Evans the 3rd ranked SG in assist per games cannot get others involved. He is a ball stopper. Great observation.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 12-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Tyreke is just behind Jrue as far as assists per game this season.
    However, he also leads the team in turnovers per game.

Comparison:

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    1 Tyreke Evans 2014-15 25 21 21 34.1 6.2 15.0 .414 0.8 2.5 .321 5.4 12.4 .433 2.2 3.5 .644 1.1 4.3 5.4 5.6 1.2 0.3 2.9 2.6 15.4
    2 Jrue Holiday 2014-15 24 21 21 33.9 6.2 13.9 .450 1.3 3.5 .370 5.0 10.4 .477 2.0 2.3 .896 0.8 2.6 3.4 6.8 1.3 0.5 1.8 2.7 15.8
    Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 12/11/2014.

Last edited by Caffeinedisastr; 12-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Yes you are correct. Tyreke Evans the 3rd ranked SG in assist per games cannot get others involves. He is a ball stopper. Great observation.

He's not wrong though if we are taking the whole season into perspective. I will say that that the last two games I have been more impressed with him then anytime this season.

His decision making was better, he wasn't playing hero ball, he played within the offense and the stat sheet didn't show that at least 2 or 3 of his attempts were because he was the bailout option in a few possessions where his only option late in the clock was a bad shot or a tough assist.

Yes he still took some bad shots but there were a couple times last night where if it were 5 games ago he would of taken a low percentage long two when the D gave him the look but last night he was smart enough to not bite. There were one or two where he did still so he hasn't completely cured himself.

Still he is bad defensively and while he's gotten better he still forces too many bad shots a game.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Tyreke is just behind Jrue as far as assists per game this season.
    However, he also leads the team in turnovers per game.

Comparison:

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    1 Tyreke Evans 2014-15 25 21 21 34.1 6.2 15.0 .414 0.8 2.5 .321 5.4 12.4 .433 2.2 3.5 .644 1.1 4.3 5.4 5.6 1.2 0.3 2.9 2.6 15.4
    2 Jrue Holiday 2014-15 24 21 21 33.9 6.2 13.9 .450 1.3 3.5 .370 5.0 10.4 .477 2.0 2.3 .896 0.8 2.6 3.4 6.8 1.3 0.5 1.8 2.7 15.8
    Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 12/11/2014.

i think tyreke also handles the ball more than jrue tho, i could be wrong.

Thread Information