Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The playoff struggle; who do we realistically pass up?

The playoff struggle; who do we realistically pass up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 3.29.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	5810

So the season is young, and the Pelicans are only 19 games into the season; but believe it or not, almost 25% of the season is over already and we're treading water right now at 9-10. As we all know, the Pelicans have played the 5th hardest schedule so far and we can assume the road in terms of quality teams we play gets easier as we move forwards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 3.35.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	5811

Our biggest goal for the season is to make the playoffs, but after reviewing the standings, I think breaking into the 8 seed is going to be a struggle. So I ask the forum, who do you think we pass to make it into the playoffs?

In looking at the standings, The two teams that seem vulnerable are the Suns and the Kings, but between the 3 teams there's 1 spot; and we also have to consider OKC is coming and will pass (probably) all of us. So now we need one of GS, Houston, Dallas, Portland, Memphis, Spurs, Clippers or Mavs to fall or OKC to get locked out. Seems like a tough task.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

We're going to pass up the Clippers because I hate Blake Griffin.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Our best option is to catch Phoenix. Our H2H's with them are going to be super important. I also see Dallas fading a little bit in the end but don't know if it will be enough to catch them. All about how this team turns it around come January because right now we are looking like a team that will hover around .500.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Our best option is to catch Phoenix. Our H2H's with them are going to be super important. I also see Dallas fading a little bit in the end but don't know if it will be enough to catch them. All about how this team turns it around come January because right now we are looking like a team that will hover around .500.
    For sure, but no worries about OKC passing Sacramento, NOP and Phx?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    For sure, but no worries about OKC passing Sacramento, NOP and Phx?
    Absolutely, OKC will probably catch up to us within a month. But by then I think the west will die down it's dominance just a little bit. I mean Dallas is 16-6 and the 7th seed, good Lord. Just can't see it staying like that. Someone will fall.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Absolutely, OKC will probably catch up to us within a month. But by then I think the west will die down it's dominance just a little bit. I mean Dallas is 16-6 and the 7th seed, good Lord. Just can't see it staying like that. Someone will fall.
    Other than the Lakers & Sacramento, Pels have played more WESTERN teams than anyone ! Especially Dallas! They have played 12 of 22 in the EAST ! Cunningham & GAL are not MAGIC POTIONS, but will solidify our bench ! HOUSTON, imo, will have a major swan dive shortly, especially when DOPEY DWIGHT definitely decides to sit out the year ! We will grab a 6th or 7th seed by years end ! Dallas is playing with guys that can be on SOCIAL SECURITY ! Houston wont contend by years end ! NOR will Phoenix ! I HOPE !!! NOTE: Of the Pels 5 Eastern conf games > Three outta five are in the top 5 in Eastern Conference
    Last edited by Tinman; 12-08-2014 at 03:51 PM.

its really simple actually...we won't lol..sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    its really simple actually...we won't lol..sad but true.
    Man, such an early defector ! We've played more Western Division teams than anyone & have played 60% of our games on the road ! 2 major west coast swings already ! We have to pick up 4 games in the next 62 to catch 4 teams ! WHEW, thats IMPOSSIBLE !??????

Health, team cohesion, Davis becoming more assertive, Monty finding a way to get it done in the closing minutes of games and the bench continuing to improve are our best chances at an outside shot at the playoffs.

But if I am being honest I don't think this team can make the playoffs barring some miracle that Gordon comes back and finishes out the season healthy and shooting the way he did that last few games before he went down. On top of all that I just mentioned.

OUR 10 losses-----8 on the road & the teams have a combined record of 135-61 ! We've lost to the Top 4 teams in the WEST on the road & 3 of the top 4 teams in the east on the road ! 135 & 61 while playing 7 of the top12 teams in the league on the road !

Realistically? We will miss the playoffs. Doesn't mean we won't make it in the future. But it's not likely this season unless something changes.

If we magically get swapped over to the eastern conference we'll make the playoffs this year.

well word is Boogie is out till january. so kings will be at the disadvantage. meanwhile we need to get as many wins in that time as possible, as the OKC train will start chugging along. do we make top 8? outside chance. if we finish 9th with the records like they are, i would not hold it against our team one bit, this season is ridiculous.

Geez when you look at it up close there are literally 3 games that separate the top 7 seeds in the West. It's insane how hot they have started.

The good news for us is eventually a lot of those teams will have to start beating each other up and the stands will shake out more. Since we've had the 5th hardest schedule so far I look for us to make a move up especially in January.

The problem with guessing who we potentially will jump is the schedules some of the other teams high up have played make it a really hard read. Is Dallas really as good as they have shown? Houston a No. 2 seed? Phx is the odds favorite for us to pass because they had a last season collapse and they are already barely hanging on.

That last spot or two look to be a slugfest though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Geez when you look at it up close there are literally 3 games that separate the top 7 seeds in the West. It's insane how hot they have started.

The good news for us is eventually a lot of those teams will have to start beating each other up and the stands will shake out more. Since we've had the 5th hardest schedule so far I look for us to make a move up especially in January.

The problem with guessing who we potentially will jump is the schedules some of the other teams high up have played make it a really hard read. Is Dallas really as good as they have shown? Houston a No. 2 seed? Phx is the odds favorite for us to pass because they had a last season collapse and they are already barely hanging on.

That last spot or two look to be a slugfest though.
    Dallas is so good offensively if they scored no points in their next game, they would still have a top 10 offense.

Pels will make the playoff if the new additions can make the bench significantly better and PHX has struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Dallas is so good offensively if they scored no points in their next game, they would still have a top 10 offense.

Pels will make the playoff if the new additions can make the bench significantly better and PHX has struggles.
    Dallas has played 12 0f 22 games against The Leastern Conference ! Pels have played 5 teams in east & 3 of the 5 are in TOP 4

Conferences are so dumb. Let the top 16 teams in the league play in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Conferences are so dumb. Let the top 16 teams in the league play in the playoffs.
    Yeah, it should be the top 16 teams get in and they represent their conference in the playoffs. Kind of like college, Kentucky would represent the SEC in the tournament.

Injuries happen and not just to this team.....anything is possible.

We have played a tough schedule for sure. It's smooth sailing after All Star Weekend so if we can hang around until the 4th quarter we have a shot.

Minus a big injury to one of those teams its hard to see..Maybe the Mavs

Not this year, not the next year, but the year after....when gordon is gone.

If we can make it out of this month alive, I think we have a very realistic shot at making the playoffs. In January, we play 15 games. Only 6 out of those 15 games are against teams that are .500 or better, and of those games, Toronto is the only road game. I don't think a 12 or 13 win January is out of the question by any means.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Our schedule is actually tougher than it looks, too, relatively speaking. Two of the teams ahead of us are absolutely abysmal. That matters because teams can't play themselves. It also means really good teams haven't played as weak a schedule as it looks.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    4 mini seasons in one. Can the Pels can go something like:

10-10
    12-7
    13-8
    12-10

47-35

49 took the 8th seed it could very well come down to matchups. OKCs injury luck could be good news for us and bad news for other teams fighting for the 6-8 spot. They'll be an 8th seed team punching with top 3 seed power. But we already got 1 on them and we only play them two more times. Once more at home. They might be able to do our dirty work for us while losing the tiebreaker to us!

Thread Information