Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rivers in starting lineup vs Hawks

Pelicans Rivers in starting lineup vs Hawks

Excited to see Rivers get his chance to start off around other good players. Should really compliment his game playing Between Jrue and Reke while having AD on the floor from the start with him. He fits just what we need being a very good defender and can score while showing a nice spot up 3. Hopefully he can step up and do what we expect of him. I think Reke is a better fit at the 3 anyway and this just gives us 1 more capable ball handler instead of Miller who should be coming off the bench where he is more comfortable.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Looks like he didn't get the memo. He looked like a rookie out there in the first.

Banned
    He shot and missed and then passed on shots he shouldn't. He sucked.

Yeah... this is was a disaster. 0 points 2 assist is a major disappointment. this game was a struggle to watch it, we never had a rhythm.

Gordons 11ppg avg. from his last few games is sorely missed. Hate the guy all you want but he at least kept defenses honest and played very well off the ball and hustled defensively. His fill-ins have basically forced this team to play four on five and lose efficiency on wasting possessions on the replacements shots.

Though I guess the next man is up. I expect Salmons will be starting tomorrow which should be interesting seeing him matchup against Pierce. I expect Salmons will revert back to his norm and we will once again be asking what this team is going to do.

ya, that didn't go well lol.

This is making me think that a ryno trade is even more likely, Ryno is only getting 27 minutes a game, and thats including the span where Asik was out. A trade for a legit SG or SF would be more beneficial then Ryno getting 27 minutes a game. Even if the players is of lesser value even, for example if ryno is a 7/10 and jeff green is a 6/10, it would help our team a ton more.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    This is making me think that a ryno trade is even more likely, Ryno is only getting 27 minutes a game, and thats including the span where Asik was out. A trade for a legit SG or SF would be more beneficial then Ryno getting 27 minutes a game. Even if the players is of lesser value even, for example if ryno is a 7/10 and jeff green is a 6/10, it would help our team a ton more.
    Ryno for Jeff Green? Where do I sign?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I was really just throwing a name out. Not saying it has to be jeff green, you could go for a SG even and leave tyreke at the 3. There's a bunch of people that are a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Can someone sell me on why he is actually a good fit here??

All I see is a rather inefficient shooter with a questionable long ball. He would kill our floor spacing and efficiency IMO.

Personally I'm losing faith in Ryno. His shot decisions have proven to be poor and impulsive. He does well on the boards on offense but we also expect him to spread the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Can someone sell me on why he is actually a good fit here??

All I see is a rather inefficient shooter with a questionable long ball. He would kill our floor spacing and efficiency IMO.
    He's big, athletic, runs the floor, hits the 3, and can play some serious defense.

We need someone with a little more offense than Jeff Green IMO. Jeff Green plus a spark off the bench would be alright I guess. Our bench without Ryno may not score 2 points.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxbama View Post
    We need someone with a little more offense than Jeff Green IMO. Jeff Green plus a spark off the bench would be alright I guess. Our bench without Ryno may not score 2 points.
    I think he has a little more offensive game than u think, he's got a 3, midrange, and can put it on the ground and attack the rim, plus if u wanna talk athleticism go google some of his freaking posterizors.

Also in Ryno's defense, he scored 20 points tonight, shooting 50%, now 50% for a jump shooter is a very good field goal percentage. Not to mention he added 7 rebounds, once again its hard to be a good rebounder when u live on the perimeter but he finds a great way to do it.

I'm not saying we will trade him because he sucks, because he doesn't, he is a great player, but I still don't like the fact that he plays the same position as AD, who is the next mvl in the league. It would be like having draymond green behind kevin durant. Is Draymond good? Yes, but will he get the minutes he deserves and contribute as much as he could on another team playing behind KD? No.

I think he has a little more offensive game than u think, he's got a 3, midrange, and can put it on the ground and attack the rim, plus if u wanna talk athleticism go google some of his freaking posterizors.
    I know he's got game, but our bench without Ryno would be abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxbama View Post
    I know he's got game, but our bench without Ryno would be abysmal.
    true, instead of trading ryno for a bonafide starter u could trade him for a glue guy to play SF for us and a decent bench player then.

We need to sign a vet PG like a Telfair or Price.
    Release Salmons, Jimmer or Babbit and have a vet PG run the second unit.

There are no trades out there that would benefit us long term to give up a player like RA.
    This core team needs to play together.....you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
    Until Gordon's contract is off the book then I would take my advise and lower your expectations for this young team.

They are not smart enough yet to adjust to what the defense gives them.
    It's s bloody obvious.
    They run plays and when the first play or second play is cut off they go iso or jack up a rushed shot.
    That to me this reads an inexperienced team.

A player with 'leadership qualities' and high IQ is what this team needs to get the bench going not an overpaid player from another bad team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    true, instead of trading ryno for a bonafide starter u could trade him for a glue guy to play SF for us and a decent bench player then.
    You know what would help? Getting guys who can catch and shoot. Jrue would have more assists if we could actually get guys who get open and shoot the ball. He had EG for that but now all we have is Anderson. No one else is really a reliable natural shooter. Everyone is playing isolation 1:1 ball and it's not going to work. It's a problem. I said this before the season started we still need more shooters. Good offense puts more pressure on other teams to stay afloat. I would trade Anderson for Harrison Barnes and Speights and I'd look to trade ajinca and Rivers for a backup PGor SF who could provide solid offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    We need to sign a vet PG like a Telfair or Price.
    Release Salmons, Jimmer or Babbit and have a vet PG run the second unit.

There are no trades out there that would benefit us long term to give up a player like RA.
    This core team needs to play together.....you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
    Until Gordon's contract is off the book then I would take my advise and lower your expectations for this young team.

They are not smart enough yet to adjust to what the defense gives them.
    It's s bloody obvious.
    They run plays and when the first play or second play is cut off they go iso or jack up a rushed shot.
    That to me this reads an inexperienced team.

A player with 'leadership qualities' and high IQ is what this team needs to get the bench going not an overpaid player from another bad team.
    We do need a backup pg. I do think we need to trade for more depth and stability. Shooting is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    We do need a backup pg. I do think we need to trade for more depth and stability. Shooting is critical.

Exactly and the reason why we are getting good looks but miss is because we are slightly off with the passing.
    We get it to the open shooter or the roll guy too late in the second unit (1 or 2 seconds too late).

River's isn't the answer and he is too inexperienced to run the second unit.
    I hope their is a trade coming soon or a player to be waived to make room for a few vet's.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    You know what would help? Getting guys who can catch and shoot. Jrue would have more assists if we could actually get guys who get open and shoot the ball. He had EG for that but now all we have is Anderson. No one else is really a reliable natural shooter. Everyone is playing isolation 1:1 ball and it's not going to work. It's a problem. I said this before the season started we still need more shooters. Good offense puts more pressure on other teams to stay afloat. I would trade Anderson for Harrison Barnes and Speights and I'd look to trade ajinca and Rivers for a backup PGor SF who could provide solid offense.

Ya you could be right. We have tried a bunch of starting lineups, EG at the 2, Rivers at the 2, tyreke at the 3, darius at the 3, why not try Ryno, put your best players on the court and see what happens? Our bench would be pretty bad though, but maybe ryno would stop firing up shot after shot.

Monty needs consistency. If someone comes out flat he changes it the next game. Whether it be Darius or Austin, give them a few games to get comfortable

The silver lining about not having Gordon is we get to let the guys play together without him, which is most likely the future. The playoffs look tough to make right now. Once we see this, we IMO can make a proper prognosis on what we actually need and what we don't. Then, hopefully Dell will make the appropriate moves.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I can see what you mean but why jump ship now? Why not wait until Gordons contract is gone and then put our full team together. Anderson is arguably our 2nd most important player no matter who we pick up. We need his bench spark so bad we would be crazy to just let him go to fill another role when In a year or 2 we will have the $ needed to do it and conplete our team. I just don't wanna give up something we can't get back and his skill set is very hard to find and fits this team perfectly. We just need to add that really good 3 to this team which we will be able to just need patience. This team is so young that another 2 years of playing together before we add those next pieces could benefit everyone. It's a process and we need to be patient and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Thread Information