Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread! Pelicans vs. Hawks 11/28/14

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    That's not true and bad reasoning. Does AD not play winning basketball? He's never been on a winning team. Tyreke played on the Kings, that's why he's never won. He make things happen and can get to the basket at will. If he wasn't on this team we would score 50 a lot of games. Our problem is team defense and Austin Rivers making us a 4 player team when he's on the floor. Tyreke is a bright spot.
    Uhhhh AD won the Gold and he won NCAA championship.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Tyreke needs the ball in his hands too much to be "personally" effective. He doesn't make his teammates better and he's next to useless when the ball isn't in his hands. He kills floor spacing and he is a ball stopper, terrible combination for winning basketball.

For example; in order for Tyreke to be at his best offensively, AD goes from 2nd leading scorer to Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot.
    This is spot on. You summed it up.

Tyreke needs to run the point and let Jrue play more of a SG or combo guard on offense. We need to try to get a SF. I have a hard time believing we can't find a SF that can help us more than our existing SFs.
    I would move Ajinca(a decent backup center) for a decent SF. Withey is good enough to be the main backup center.

If Dell found a way to move Gordon I would forgive him. This would be next to impossible though.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    This is spot on. You summed it up.
    I do think if Reke played point and focused on passing, which he's good at, and attacking the basket, we would see an improvement. When he has the ball he is very tough to guard and if Anderson and Jrue were on the court we might see more open shots.

He's second on the team in assists, a really solid rebounder, and a one man transition game. He is the furthest thing from what is wrong with this team. Other than him, Jrue is the only other guy who can create anything by himself. Spot up guys are great when you have others who can set them up...who's going to set up Reke? He and Jrue are the only ones who can create anything on this team. Just because he has a nice handle people assume the guy is some street ball player and he's not. AD can't create and neither can Ryno. When someone gets into AD, he has NOTHING. Paul Milsap shut him down. At this point in his career, AD IS Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot. Ryno takes fadeaway jump shots on guys 5 inches shorter. Rivers shouldn't be in the NBA, period, we have waited long enough. When you are excited about a guy in this third year who may finally shoot higher than 40%, that's a problem.

Tyreke is not the problem on this team.
    Assists does not mean he isn't a ball stopper and ball hog, see Harden and Kobe. I agree he is a solid rebounder. You said one man transition game like that is a good thing. It's frustrating watching tyreke repeatedly forcing bad layups on the break when AD is available for the lob.

And teams been playing with one true ball handler since basketball began. You set up shooters with BALL MOVEMENT, not driving to the basket out of control, hoping a passing lane opens up. Look at Memphis, who's there other ball handler outside of Conley?

Did you seriously just say that at THIS POINT in his career AD is Chandler with a jumpshot? I'm a just take it as you haven't seen a game this season. AD arguably has a top 5 face up game now. Dribble pull ups, one foot runners, bank shots, and his pivots are unreal, like seriously watching his use of pivots is amazing. When he faces you on the block, its OVER. Only if he got more opportunities instead of our "creator" clanking layups over 2 and 3 defenders.

Tyreke is not THE problem but he is definitely A problem and a huge one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I agree. ..Reke is not the problem. How many times has he hit open shooters and guys missed open looks. ..We need a 3 and D, backup PG and a second unit scorer who can there own shot...
    How many times has he missed open shooters? How many times has he missed easy dump offs? How many times has he screwed up a fast break by not looking to pass?

I would let Reke run point just as quickly as I would call Sherrif Joe to help me make local Latins feel comfortable. It's a bad idea.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

In other news, BRob and Chief are playing well with their new teams. Chief > all Pels SF
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Tyreke needs to run the point and let Jrue play more of a SG or combo guard on offense. We need to try to get a SF. I have a hard time believing we can't find a SF that can help us more than our existing SFs.
    I would move Ajinca(a decent backup center) for a decent SF. Withey is good enough to be the main backup center.
    In theory it could work. But Tyreke has a scorers mentality, he's wired to get buckets. Putting the ball in his hands more just gon result in him taking more shots.

We tried that experiment. It led to most of our team not being involved in the offense for long stretches of time and fourth quarters where Evans did his best Kobe impression....Not classic Kobe from his Shaq days, Kobe from 2014. Kobe that jacks up 10 shots in the quarter and misses 8 of them but his fans only remember the 2 he made and think everyone is crazy for wanting to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    How many times has he missed open shooters? How many times has he missed easy dump offs? How many times has he screwed up a fast break by not looking to pass?
    Who don't miss open shooters? how many time in the first 5 games EG was alone on the island and no one pass him the ball? And how many time JF wide open and no one pass him the ball?
    Not sure if we're watching the same game, I think dump to the big was one of TE bright spot.
    Fast break, we have fast break?

Banned
    I love AD, but he is not yet a top 5 player. Anyone who thinks so is a homer. Any top 5 player should be able to take a ball and get a win at the end of games. He cannot. He will be, but he surely isn't right now. Guys that are physical and D him up give him too many problems. In crunch time he relies on a contested jumper because he has nothing else at this point in his career for guys that are physical and D him up. I've watched every game.

I love AD, but he is not yet a top 5 player. Anyone who thinks so is a homer. Any top 5 player should be able to take a ball and get a win at the end of games. He cannot. He will be, but he surely isn't right now. Guys that are physical and D him up give him too many problems. In crunch time he relies on a contested jumper because he has nothing else at this point in his career for guys that are physical and D him up. I've watched every game.
    I agree with the sentiment for sure, but who do you rank over him outside of Lebron and Durant?
    Melo (who i think is vastly underrated) can score with it on the line, but is deficient on the defensive end.
    Harden doesn't play defense but can end the game.
    Howard can't end a game.
    Westbrook fits the bill.
    Curry Fits the bill.
    Chris Paul fits the bill.

That makes 5 guys 3 of which are point guards and it's hard to imagine they effect the game in all the ways Davis does throughout the game. I guess what i'm saying is, yes i see where you're coming from and don't even wholly disagree, but i think Davis could be ranked anywhere from 3-7 depending on the evaluator and an argument could be made for all those guys. I just don't think he should auto drop out of a top 5 (technically 3-5) because of this. IMO he really has 1 major weakness and you hit the nail on the head about it, but when Davis figures that out, he'll be fighting for 1 or 2.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quick way to poison the well for anyone that disagrees with you. Kobe ball is typically a negative connotation for a reason. When one player becomes the sole offensive focus to end a game on a regular basis it typically means that team is laying inefficiently and poorly with a lot of bad outcomes. But that is what you seem to be advocating for Davis to be. He won't and shouldn't be that.

It's not homerism, its taking off the irrational fan glasses a moment and looking at Davis objectively. I mean what stats do you want me to tell you? That of players that take 3 or more shots on average in the fourth Davis has the highest FG% of any big man except Cousins? Cause he does. That he is ranked 4th against all players in that category. Cause he is.

Or how about that Davis is currently a 50% Catch and Shoot shooter. That only two other big men who take more then 4 Catch and Shoot shots a game and have played at least ten games, Al Horford and Vucevic, have a higher FG% on catch and shoot balls then Davis. Davis right now is ranked above Cousins, Aldridge and Nowitzki on catch and shoot %. He ranks above Aldridge in general Midrange shot % too. The fact that it has been a running theme that we have ignored Davis a good bit on pick and pop should speak more about his teammates then Davis's ability.

The thing is Davis becomes the focal point of defenses in the fourth. How many games have we seen where defenders refuse to leave Davis even if it means giving up a lay up? Which means it takes more work to get him open looks but when we do he typically delivers.

People want to blame everyone else, but we need more from our star player

It's funny because this has been my biggest objection to Davis becoming a superstar and people have been treating me like I'm crazy because of it. I think people just assume he'll get there, but this is by far the toughest skill to develop and maintain and usually those players display that ability very early in their basketball career. Davis has finally started showing me the flashes it take to be that guy this year. However like you I can't label him a superstar or top 5 player into that skill is fully developed and on display on a regular basis.

How is this for quality coaching......

The day before this game, our coach comes out and states that AD needs 20 shots a game and he has explained the importance of this to his team.

The next game, AD gets 14 shots and has the 4th highest total of shots on the team.

No further comments....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    How is this for quality coaching......

The day before this game, our coach comes out and states that AD needs 20 shots a game and he has explained the importance of this to his team.

The next game, AD gets 14 shots and has the 4th highest total of shots on the team.

No further comments....
    1. AD is sick right now
    2. That is on the players for not executing what the coach wants.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    People want to blame everyone else, but we need more from our star player
    Davis is not the problem. We know what he is right now. He isn't going to back you down in the post or cross you over. He is going to hit open jumpers, either draw in defenders on the PnR or PnP and will hustle on both ends, averages nearly a block and a steal every fourth quarter, beat bigger players off the dribble and draw contact or get a basket. He converts plays drawn up for him at a very high mark and is elite at cleaning up others mess.

What more do you want? For davis to do more in the fourth that requires others to execute plays that put him in a good position or to use the threat of Davis to free up others. The few times we've gone to Davis in close games late in the fourth he has delivered.

I'll also just say this. The third quarter, which is usually the quarter we draw up the most plays for Davis and he has his most usage of any quarter, also happens to be our bar none best quarter. We are second in the league in 3rd quarter margin. Then look at the 4th quarter where we typically get Davis involved the least of any quarter and he has his lowest usage of any quarter and his lowest attempts of any quarter and it correlates to our worst quarter. Where we are 27th in the league for 4th quarter margin.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Davis is not the problem. We know what he is right now. He isn't going to back you down in the post or cross you over. He is going to hit open jumpers, either draw in defenders on the PnR or PnP and will hustle on both ends, averages nearly a block and a steal every fourth quarter, beat bigger players off the dribble and draw contact or get a basket. He converts plays drawn up for him at a very high mark and is elite at cleaning up others mess.

What more do you want? For davis to do more in the fourth that requires others to execute plays that put him in a good position or to use the threat of Davis to free up others. The few times we've gone to Davis in close games late in the fourth he has delivered.

I'll also just say this. The third quarter, which is usually the quarter we draw up the most plays for Davis and he has his most attempts of any quarter, also happens to be our bar none best quarter. We are second int the league in 3rd quarter margin. Then look at the 4th quarter where we typically get Davis involved the least of any quarter and he has his lowest usage of any quarter and his lowest attempts of any quarter and it correlates to our worst quarter.
    This has always been the problem leaping so much praise and expectations on Davis. People are expecting James, O'Neal, Jordan, Bryant, Durant, Garnett, Duncan, etc in their prime and he's not their yet and it's realistic he never gets there. If you are calling a guy the best player in the league he needs to be that kind of player and Davis again just isn't there at this point and really it's not fair to expect him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This has always been the problem leaping so much praise and expectations on Davis. People are expecting James, O'Neal, Jordan, Bryant, Durant, Garnett, Duncan, etc in their prime and he's not their yet and it's realistic he never gets there. If you are calling a guy the best player in the league he needs to be that kind of player and Davis again just isn't there at this point and really it's not fair to expect him to be.
    No one is expecting him to be those guys in their prime right now. Lets not be ridiculous.

Davis is limited at creating for himself in isolation. However what he is capable of doing, which is beating his man off the dribble, he is elite for at his position(something I think you have been quoted as saying he will never be able to do). He is also a great PnR and PnP player and has recently shown great decision making when he is given the ball early in the shot clock and people play off ball through him. Any team that is relying solely on isolation to win a fourth quarter is a doomed team. A player with so many skills as he has can be used effectively to win for a team in the fourth quarter if you have a coach and players that are committed to effectively doing it. Which is the problem we have right now.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-29-2014 at 04:42 PM.

I'll also just say this. The third quarter, which is usually the quarter we draw up the most plays for Davis and he has his most usage of any quarter, also happens to be our bar none best quarter. We are second in the league in 3rd quarter margin. Then look at the 4th quarter where we typically get Davis involved the least of any quarter and he has his lowest usage of any quarter and his lowest attempts of any quarter and it correlates to our worst quarter. Where we are 27th in the league for 4th quarter margin.
    I was talking about Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I was talking about Jimmer.
    LOL

No one is expecting him to be those guys in their prime right now. Lets not be ridiculous.

Davis is limited at creating for himself in isolation. However what he is capable of doing, which is beating his man off the dribble, he is elite for at his position(something I think you have been quoted as saying he will never be able to do). He is also a great PnR and PnP player and has recently shown great decision making when he is given the ball early in the shot clock and people play off ball through him. Any team that is relying solely on isolation to win a fourth quarter is a doomed team. A player with so many skills as he has can be used effectively to win for a team in the fourth quarter if you have a coach and players that are committed to effectively doing it. Which is the problem we have right now.
    We'll have to agree to disagree about him being elite at beating people off the dribble. He's been effective which is good enough(and yes I've been on the record saying it was an area he came into the league weak at).

When you start calling a player top 5 like many people have not just here those are the things you expect otherwise that player isn't a top 5 superstar type player.

Thread Information