Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread! Pelicans vs. Hawks 11/28/14

Dell WHY DIDNT U EXTEND AUSTIN????
    Dell YOUR A GENIUS FOR NOT EXTENDING AUSTIN!!!!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Who could possibly contribute to this team, right now, besides AD, Reke, Anderson, Jrue, and Asik?

Jimmer, Salmons, Miller, Russ, Patric, Rivers, Babbitt??? They have either not played enough or they've played and mostly hurt the team. This bench is so bad!

I'm really disappointed with Demps wasting time on Jimmer, Salmons etc

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Dell WHY DIDNT U EXTEND AUSTIN????
    Dell YOUR A GENIUS FOR NOT EXTENDING AUSTIN!!!!!!
    He's a rocket scientist.

Wish we woulda got richard jefferson instead of salmons.

On another note, Asik had a great game vs Horford, did he not?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This is the other elephant in the room. Dell has been here long enough and his legacy isn't looking too good. His best move he lucked into and outside of that we have a team with shallow depth, one of the worst contacts in the league and mismatched parts with a major gaping hole at arguably the position with the most amount of talent in the league right now.
    I really do not think Dell is to blame for the roster.
    I think any team this young no matter how talented who has never won anything will struggle to learn to win.
    The problem really gets worse when the coach is young and feeling his way through the NBA trying to learn how to win himself.

If the Pels want to keep Monty instead of hiring an experienced coach, then they need a veteran player or two that the youngsters can look to. Someone like Ray Allen, Richard Jefferson, or Kevin Garnett (not saying acquiring these players is possible MM) who have been through the playoff wars, with rings, who will take a big shot or make the extra pass whatever it takes to win instead of everyone trying to be a hero.

If you want to blame Dell for this combination of roster and coach OK, but I think many GMs would love to have the talent Dell has accrued here.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Jrue, Tyreke and Asik all had good games, but this team still will only go as far as AD can take it now. Him having an off game, combined with rivers being non existent and a terrible bench is gonna be hard to pull off the W.

Keep Holiday and AD and blow the rest up.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I'd also keep Tyreke, he is averaging 16 points 6.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists, numbers not easily duplicated. Plus I think he could be doing even better and his layup problems are just a hiccup and will return to normal. He's an 18-7-7 on any night. Plus I love having 2 combo guards to make things difficult for opposing defenses to to defend.

I still think this lineup would be incredible and have a great balance of offense and defense:

Jrue
    Tyreke
    Gerald Green
    AD
    Asik

just saying.

Also Deandre jordan is a free agent, doubt we could afford him but if we didn't resign Asik and Dell made a few moves happen imagine the athleticism of that team.

jrue
    tyreke
    green
    ad
    jordan

I still think this lineup would be incredible and have a great balance of offense and defense:

Jrue
    Tyreke
    Gerald Green
    AD
    Asik

just saying.

Also Deandre jordan is a free agent, doubt we could afford him but if we didn't resign Asik and Dell made a few moves happen imagine the athleticism of that team.

jrue
    tyreke
    green
    ad
    jordan
    That's awesome. In the meantime can you tolerate the weak bench we have?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I like your attitude about it. My problem is that I am tired of waiting. I think this team will get better but we could actually miss the playoffs this year and next year. I really believe that if we see this pattern continue we are in big trouble this season.
    I am too, I want to make the playoffs so badly. But I also don't want to have another CP3 situation where we have a 1-2 year run and then we're out of the playoffs and then we lose our star. Making short sighted moves like trading Anderson for some fillers to meet some needs now is not the move to make even if it increases our odds this year at making the playoffs.

Advanced metrics seem to have us as a top 10-12, with normal conference balance, should be a lower seed in the playoffs. By those standards, we are a playoff quality team.

I think the biggest positive (outside of AD's improvement) to take away from this year thus far has been Jrue's improved play. AD is obviously our number 1 guy but I was never sure we had his #2 guy that was good enough to be the 2nd best player on a contender. I think Jrue is approaching that level if he isn't there already. After tonight, he's going to have a PER of almost 20 and will have earned as many win shares as he did last year, despite playing in more than half the minutes. It's important to remember that AD isn't the only one improving in our core and that the team should grow, but only with time. We need to give them more time. They are getting better though.

My only big concern from this year that I've taken is I'm worried about Anderson returning back to form since his surgery. He just doesn't quite seem the same and his efficiency is down big time, especially without that one Cleveland game.

agreed, people forget just how young jrue is and how much potential he still has.

I think it really starts on the defensive end, guys need to bunker down and really want it on defense, and bring it. For us this is a vital source of transition points (with steals and deflections) and I think it serves also to get everyone going with their shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I don't know what game you were watching. Asik looked horrible like the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I'd say Asik also
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I'd also keep Tyreke, he is averaging 16 points 6.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists, numbers not easily duplicated. Plus I think he could be doing even better and his layup problems are just a hiccup and will return to normal. He's an 18-7-7 on any night. Plus I love having 2 combo guards to make things difficult for opposing defenses to to defend.
    Reke puts up stats but he's easily 1 of the worst players on the team if that makes any sense. There is a reason that he's never been a winner. He doesn't play winning basketball. He'd be better on a Ball Up team than he would on a championship NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Reke puts up stats but he's easily 1 of the worst players on the team if that makes any sense. There is a reason that he's never been a winner. He doesn't play winning basketball. He'd be better on a Ball Up team than he would on a championship NBA team.
    Thank you! I don't get why people do not see this.

Yes! Asik needs to teach defensive footwork to our guards and probably Ryno.

The teams we are losing to are all playoff teams (with the exception of Denver at home). If we start losing to non-playoff teams then I'll start worrying more.

I feel like we should've beat Atlanta. That first half killed us though. I was at the game we just looked so slow in person. Their PG's made our guys look like turtles. Also, AD still seems sick or something. His energy was low but I don't feel like it is motivation as much as physical limitation due to illness. Salmons looks as terrible in person I felt like Asik had a good game but he gave Horford a little too much room sometimes to get off his mid-range jumper; this may have been due to the penetration their PG's were getting, pick your poison. They were so active on defense and we had no answer for it. We were sloppy with the ball it seemed like everyone borrowed Asik's hands for the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Thank you! I don't get why people do not see this.
    That's not true and bad reasoning. Does AD not play winning basketball? He's never been on a winning team. Tyreke played on the Kings, that's why he's never won. He make things happen and can get to the basket at will. If he wasn't on this team we would score 50 a lot of games. Our problem is team defense and Austin Rivers making us a 4 player team when he's on the floor. Tyreke is a bright spot.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    That's not true and bad reasoning. Does AD not play winning basketball? He's never been on a winning team. Tyreke played on the Kings, that's why he's never won. He make things happen and can get to the basket at will. If he wasn't on this team we would score 50 a lot of games. Our problem is team defense and Austin Rivers making us a 4 player team when he's on the floor. Tyreke is a bright spot.
    Tyreke needs the ball in his hands too much to be "personally" effective. He doesn't make his teammates better and he's next to useless when the ball isn't in his hands. He kills floor spacing and he is a ball stopper, terrible combination for winning basketball.

For example; in order for Tyreke to be at his best offensively, AD goes from 2nd leading scorer to Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-29-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Tyreke needs the ball in his hands too much to be "personally" effective. He doesn't make his teammates better and he's next to useless when the ball isn't in his hands. He kills floor spacing and he is a ball stopper, terrible combination for winning basketball.

For example; in order for Tyreke to be at his best offensively, AD goes from 2nd leading scorer to Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot.
    He's second on the team in assists, a really solid rebounder, and a one man transition game. He is the furthest thing from what is wrong with this team. Other than him, Jrue is the only other guy who can create anything by himself. Spot up guys are great when you have others who can set them up...who's going to set up Reke? He and Jrue are the only ones who can create anything on this team. Just because he has a nice handle people assume the guy is some street ball player and he's not. AD can't create and neither can Ryno. When someone gets into AD, he has NOTHING. Paul Milsap shut him down. At this point in his career, AD IS Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot. Ryno takes fadeaway jump shots on guys 5 inches shorter. Rivers shouldn't be in the NBA, period, we have waited long enough. When you are excited about a guy in this third year who may finally shoot higher than 40%, that's a problem.

Tyreke is not the problem on this team.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 11-29-2014 at 09:07 AM.

I agree. ..Reke is not the problem. How many times has he hit open shooters and guys missed open looks. ..We need a 3 and D, backup PG and a second unit scorer who can there own shot...

Thread Information