Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

You don't expect to find the egg of an ostrich under a chicken. What he offers is obvious. And he will always give his best to contribute. He will give the other 4 players a lot of space on both ends. You don't get that from every other center in the league.

the guy was playing his first game back after injury, clearly wasn't 100%. if anything the last 4 games he was out made his value that much more clear to me.

Meanwhile his counterparts (all so far) has ripped a new one

Quote Originally Posted by jcamp5 View Post
    Omer Asik isn't a great offensive player?!! OMG, you're kidding. This is insane. The guy comes back from injury, grabs 5 offensive boards, shoots five times, misses 1 free throw, and has no turnovers. What a ball-hogging, game killing offensive performance!!! Get a grip, man.
    Some of you guys don't get it. We need everyone on this team to be able do it at both ends in some compacity. Lopez was more competent than this guy. Thank God we only have one year with him. However based off recent history Monty and Dell Demps sees him as key figure for a championship run while AD get pissed off and then leaves.

So, Asik is not Marc Gasol. Surprise! He isn't Greg Stiemsma either.
    Anderson is not Kevin Love. Surprise! Do you want Lance Thomas back?
    Evans is not Lebron. Surprise! I can't even remember another small forward that we had.
    Holliday is not CP3. Surprise! Would you rather have Grevis Vasquez?

Each of our guys has at least one elite skill, and the reason we get to watch 4 guys with elite skill on our team (with a salary cap and the world's best player) is that they have some real weaknesses to their game. If they all did everything really well we could only afford one of them. We have to hope they learn, grow, improve, whatever or that they can cover for each other.

Gordon is injured. Surprise! Sorry, I'm not sure what his elite skill is yet....

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    So, Asik is not Marc Gasol. Surprise! He isn't Greg Stiemsma either.
    Anderson is not Kevin Love. Surprise! Do you want Lance Thomas back?
    Evans is not Lebron. Surprise! I can't even remember another small forward that we had.
    Holliday is not CP3. Surprise! Would you rather have Grevis Vasquez?

Each of our guys has at least one elite skill, and the reason we get to watch 4 guys with elite skill on our team (with a salary cap and the world's best player) is that they have some real weaknesses to their game. If they all did everything really well we could only afford one of them. We have to hope they learn, grow, improve, whatever or that they can cover for each other.

Gordon is injured. Surprise! Sorry, I'm not sure what his elite skill is yet....
    He's really elite at getting hurt and being overpaid

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Some of you guys don't get it. We need everyone on this team to be able do it at both ends in some compacity. Lopez was more competent than this guy. Thank God we only have one year with him. However based off recent history Monty and Dell Demps sees him as key figure for a championship run while AD get pissed off and then leaves.
    Wtf is this? If this was true then Portland wouldn't have felt the need to bring in Kaman to back him up and actually play significant minutes. He was exposed in playoffs for what he is. A good, but boy amazing center. Lopez is top 15. Asik is top 10 overall and top 3 defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Wtf is this? If this was true then Portland wouldn't have felt the need to bring in Kaman to back him up and actually play significant minutes. He was exposed in playoffs for what he is. A good, but boy amazing center. Lopez is top 15. Asik is top 10 overall and top 3 defensive.

Here's the real question now. Robin Lopez is a FA next season, so is Asik. Asik will likely cost more then Lopez. Are you willing to pay Asik 10+ million a year while a guy like Lopez will probably go for millions less?

Not bashing Asik (only speaking of the Portland RoLo deal), but Portland was smart to bring in Kaman. Centers play a physically demanding position, and as such, having another big to split time with (actually its more like Rolo gets 50%, Kaman 25%, with Freeland and Meyer getting the rest). Its not a bad idea, and we implement the same thing here.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Here's the real question now. Robin Lopez is a FA next season, so is Asik. Asik will likely cost more then Lopez. Are you willing to pay Asik 10+ million a year while a guy like Lopez will probably go for millions less?
    Will Rolo get less? If so by how much?

I'd gladly pay Asik 10m/yr for what he gives us. Defense isn't pretty but it's just as important as the other half.

Will Rolo get less? If so by how much?

I'd gladly pay Asik 10m/yr for what he gives us. Defense isn't pretty but it's just as important as the other half.
    I'd say given the glut of centers in FA coming up Lopez is likely going to get lowballed again. Heck Asik may come cheaper then we expect given the market.

My point though was more one of opportunity costs. Is Asik worth the 5 million difference he currently is from Lopez? I would say absolutely not. Is he worth 2-3 million more then Lopez? Maybe. That's what I'm struggling with.

If the offseason was tomorrow and Asik's market value is 11 million a year and Lopez is 8 million would I still want Asik? I don't know. Asik is better defensively and rebounding but Lopez doesn't look like he is handling butter when he gets drop offs near the rim(which is a big part of Evans game) and is a 75% FT shooter and has been rock solid health wise for 2 years. Lopez also has a bit better mobility but Asik is a elite screen setter. A cheaper Lopez could free up money to bring in a 3 million a year role player or put toward a better SF.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by addictionary View Post
    You don't expect to find the egg of an ostrich under a chicken.
    He's more like a Turkey.

......I'll see myself to the door now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    He's more like a Turkey.

......I'll see myself to the door now.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'd say given the glut of centers in FA coming up Lopez is likely going to get lowballed again. Heck Asik may come cheaper then we expect given the market.

My point though was more one of opportunity costs. Is Asik worth the 5 million difference he currently is from Lopez? I would say absolutely not. Is he worth 2-3 million more then Lopez? Maybe. That's what I'm struggling with.

If the offseason was tomorrow and Asik's market value is 11 million a year and Lopez is 8 million would I still want Asik? I don't know. Asik is better defensively and rebounding but Lopez doesn't look like he is handling butter when he gets drop offs near the rim(which is a big part of Evans game) and is a 75% FT shooter and has been rock solid health wise for 2 years. Lopez also has a bit better mobility but Asik is a elite screen setter. A cheaper Lopez could free up money to bring in a 3 million a year role player or put toward a better SF.
    It's kind of hard to really know anything until we see what each one gets on the market. But you are still focused on the offensive end. Asik gives you top 3 production on the other side. Rolo is possibly a top 10 offensive center but only top half overall.

This is a typical over reaction to one game. Cousins is a beast of a center and Asik was coming back from a back injury.

3 million difference between Asik and Rolo is nothing when you take into account the huge spike in cap.

Just look at their stats this year. Even the complaint of stone hands Asik he has a near 50% LOWER TO rate than Rolo. He has double the FT rate, their TS % is within 2% of each other, and Asik has a 33% higher total rebounding %. The grass is always greener until you actually look at the numbers.

Exactly what I said

Asik is ONLY good for playing normal bigs in the leagues(not many). Against more mobile centers(alot). he' s too slow... causes breakdowns in the D once he gets beat by his man. I like him when we play the Lopez's and Hibberts of the NBA but more likely in the west he gets used big time by more mobile 5s'.

I am glad you guys aren't coach or GM, every single game would see a giant knee jerk reaction and a new lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Asik is ONLY good for playing normal bigs in the leagues(not many). Against more mobile centers(alot). he' s too slow... causes breakdowns in the D once he gets beat by his man. I like him when we play the Lopez's and Hibberts of the NBA but more likely in the west he gets used big time by more mobile 5s'.
    So wait, you honestly want to argue the angle that Asik is not a good defensive center? LOL

So wait, you honestly want to argue the angle that Asik is not a good defensive center? LOL
    The reason why I started this thread was to complain about his offensive production(only bc they keep giving him the ball) and his inability to guard athletic centers who can jump higher than him for rebounds/blocks. Asik can't jump at all, so on defense he struggles to get rebounds against centers who can jump higher than him. Same for blocks/contested shots. Yes, Asik is a presence and forces other centers into bad shots but he is literally the most unathletic center in the NBA. If you can show me a center who is less athletic please let me know. He struggles to block shots and when he is stuck on the perimeter with a quicker big(most bigs) or a mismatch then he is screwed. Like I keep saying, I'm not gonna complain about his D even though it frustrates me more than anything else, but I will complain about his offense or lack there of. If he's not included, great, if he is, IT IS A PROBLEM and that's why I wanted to address it. Does anybody not see Asik go up for a shot after a rebound and not be able to get off the ground and bc of that gets stuffed by the rim or a defender? Happens several times a night, several. On D it's the same thing, centers his size or smaller can simply jump hire than him to put shots over him, dude can not jump, period. I didn't mean to direct this reaponse at you haha I'm just ranting and that's how I feel based on what I see, not what I just make up.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    The reason why I started this thread was to complain about his offensive production(only bc they keep giving him the ball) and his inability to guard athletic centers who can jump higher than him for rebounds/blocks. Asik can't jump at all, so on defense he struggles to get rebounds against centers who can jump higher than him. Same for blocks/contested shots. Yes, Asik is a presence and forces other centers into bad shots but he is literally the most unathletic center in the NBA. If you can show me a center who is less athletic please let me know. He struggles to block shots and when he is stuck on the perimeter with a quicker big(most bigs) or a mismatch then he is screwed. Like I keep saying, I'm not gonna complain about his D even though it frustrates me more than anything else, but I will complain about his offense or lack there of. If he's not included, great, if he is, IT IS A PROBLEM and that's why I wanted to address it. Does anybody not see Asik go up for a shot after a rebound and not be able to get off the ground and bc of that gets stuffed by the rim or a defender? Happens several times a night, several. On D it's the same thing, centers his size or smaller can simply jump hire than him to put shots over him, dude can not jump, period. I didn't mean to direct this reaponse at you haha I'm just ranting and that's how I feel based on what I see, not what I just make up.
    Would you consider Rolo a good offensive center?

Would you consider Rolo a good offensive center?
    Better than Asik... Better free throws, he got a jump hook (where he actually gets off the ground so the rim or opposing defenses can't stuff him). He also has a reliable midrange baseline jumper which Asik has not shown. Short answer to your question. Yes.

Better than Asik... Better free throws, he got a jump hook (where he actually gets off the ground so the rim or opposing defenses can't stuff him). He also has a reliable midrange baseline jumper which Asik has not shown. Short answer to your question. Yes.
    Yet their TS% is only 2% different and Asik actually has a 50% lower TO%. Asik might not be pretty on offense but you can't argue that he hasn't been effective this year.

So is your complaint he doesn't do it pretty enough?

Personally I don't care how it looks as long as it goes in the basket. We knew exactly what we were getting with Asik. We knew what he lacked on offense before he even came here. But let's not get silly and say "he's not athletic enough" on defense. Just last week I was reading where opposing teams were shooting like 36% around the rim with Asik in the game. Do you realize how low that is?

He doesn't get a ton of blocks but so what? He is an elite rebounder and rim protector and cleans up the glass on all those missed shots he creates on defense. Does he need to be athletic to be effective? Clearly not. So I don't see what the problem is.

Yet their TS% is only 2% different and Asik actually has a 50% lower TO%. Asik might not be pretty on offense but you can't argue that he hasn't been effective this year.

Personally I don't care how it looks as long as it goes in the basket. We knew exactly what we were getting with Asik. We knew what he lacked on offense before he even came here. But let's not get silly and say "he's not athletic enough" on defense. Just last week I was reading where opposing teams were shooting like 36% around the rim with Asik in the game. Do you realize how low that is?

He doesn't get a ton of blocks but so what? He is an elite rebounder and rim protector and cleans up the glass on all those missed shots he creates on defense. Does he need to be athletic to be effective? Clearly not. So I don't see what the problem is.
    The NBA is changing. Sure Asik is effective on D % wise, almost every post on this thread by myself has acknowledged that. He is great at positioning himself for rebounds. BUT. That doesn't work with the more athletic centers/PFs which is most of the NBA. Guys can jump out of the gym and big men can now take defenders off the dribble much easier than they did in the past. Plus, I am simply pointing out his defensive flaws and what he can't do, I don't like when people come back and tell me what he CAN do, bc I know what he can do. Do you see a ton of threads about the good things that players do every night? No, bc as fans we almost expect that(part optimistic part biased). So that being said, yes Asik is the best center we've had since Chandler, great. But my original point and the point I am still trying to prove is 1. His offense is not there, they don't count how many times they throw the ball to him and it just bounces off his hands and he loses it, why, bc it doesn't count as a TO bc he "didn't have possession" but it happens multiple times a night and he would average 3-4 TOs simply for not catching the ball. I pull my hair out every time it happens so I can't be the only one to notice it. 2nd point, yes he is Effective on D, sure stats stats all day, but I still use the eye test. When he gets burned by quicker bigs the basket is wide open or AD gets a bad foul. Also on defense, he can't jump at all so even if he is positioned perfectly, every big that is more athletic than him will cause him problems, and nobody has yet to tell me of a center who actually plays who is less athletic than Omer Asik.

The NBA is changing. Sure Asik is effective on D % wise, almost every post on this thread by myself has acknowledged that. He is great at positioning himself for rebounds. BUT. That doesn't work with the more athletic centers/PFs which is most of the NBA. Guys can jump out of the gym and big men can now take defenders off the dribble much easier than they did in the past. Plus, I am simply pointing out his defensive flaws and what he can't do, I don't like when people come back and tell me what he CAN do, bc I know what he can do. Do you see a ton of threads about the good things that players do every night? No, bc as fans we almost expect that(part optimistic part biased). So that being said, yes Asik is the best center we've had since Chandler, great. But my original point and the point I am still trying to prove is 1. His offense is not there, they don't count how many times they throw the ball to him and it just bounces off his hands and he loses it, why, bc it doesn't count as a TO bc he "didn't have possession" but it happens multiple times a night and he would average 3-4 TOs simply for not catching the ball. I pull my hair out every time it happens so I can't be the only one to notice it. 2nd point, yes he is Effective on D, sure stats stats all day, but I still use the eye test. When he gets burned by quicker bigs the basket is wide open or AD gets a bad foul. Also on defense, he can't jump at all so even if he is positioned perfectly, every big that is more athletic than him will cause him problems, and nobody has yet to tell me of a center who actually plays who is less athletic than Omer Asik.

The NBA is alllllll about athletiscm these days. That's why point guards are dunking on people, are point guards today traditional point guards like they used to be? No, but the NBA is changing and Asik gets worked by soooo many players, outside of his rebounding and contesting shots, which are his BEST ATTRIBUTES, so im not here to argue about what he can do, I'm saying what he can't do. Put Deandre Jordan, Drummond, Magee, next to AD, any athletic center who can move just a little side to side off the dribble to defend and jump off the floor for blocked shots and rebounds that Asik will never be able to get, then we have a scary team.

the missed tip ins are infuriating there is no denying that
    the reason why need Asik is because the west are full of ticonderuga class of NBA Big Men: Marc Gazol, Zbo, Dwight howard, demarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin and Tim Duncan. Phoenix Suns have young athletic center in Mason Plumlee, look at where they are now.
    Asik played against duncan and Gasol very well. I bet would have made Cousins miserable last night had he had not back problem.
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

The NBA is alllllll about athletiscm these days. That's why point guards are dunking on people, are point guards today traditional point guards like they used to be? No, but the NBA is changing and Asik gets worked by soooo many players, outside of his rebounding and contesting shots, which are his BEST ATTRIBUTES, so im not here to argue about what he can do, I'm saying what he can't do. Put Deandre Jordan, Drummond, Magee, next to AD, any athletic center who can move just a little side to side off the dribble to defend and jump off the floor for blocked shots and rebounds that Asik will never be able to get, then we have a scary
    team.
    Why don't we just get Kevin Durant? imagine how good this team with him sharing the floor with AD and Asik, Pels will have the best offense and defense in the league

Thread Information